mx elbow

brocster
Edited Date/Time 12/3/2013 8:49pm
any of you ever get tennis elbow from riding? it's been giving me fits lately. got a cortisone shot a few weeks back and it went away but has recently started creeping back in. did you fix it? and how?

thanks,
ryan
|
bents
Fantasy
909th
12/1/2013 12:56pm
I have had tennis elbow in both elbows over the years and it is a bastard. I never got a cortisone though as I knew it would be a temporary fix while for others it never flared up again. I tried the braces and they never really worked. I just put up with it and eventually it went away, but it took months. And it came out of nowhere. So I don't have an answer for you-sorry!
shuggs
12/1/2013 1:06pm
Have also had it both sides as well as golfers in right side, cortisone is def just a short term fix. Best physio I saw told me to do waiters tip - arm by straight down your side then bend wrist as far as you can and hold for 20 secs
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
12/1/2013 3:40pm
I get it all the time now playing Mad Skills, T4 is killing me
Truckdriver
12/1/2013 4:00pm
brocster wrote:
any of you ever get tennis elbow from riding? it's been giving me fits lately. got a cortisone shot a few weeks back and it went...
any of you ever get tennis elbow from riding? it's been giving me fits lately. got a cortisone shot a few weeks back and it went away but has recently started creeping back in. did you fix it? and how?

thanks,
ryan
PT. Jump on RacerXill.com/VT and see if someone has not talked about it. Great site.

The Shop

kopfjaeger
12/1/2013 9:33pm
Look up flossing, muscle and joint.. PT named Kelly Starrett..the flossing bands work..sell for about 8 bucks from Rogue.com and has a quick video of him working a guys elbow..
EddieC
12/1/2013 11:06pm
If your problem truly is lateral epicondylitis you can do some eccentric exercises to get rid of it. You might also look into what is referred to as T-4 syndrome. There has been some limited research looking at issues of rotation in the thoracic spine in particular T-4 causing referred pain at the elbow. Last but not least how is your shoulder stability more specifically parascapular strength? When you do a push up do your shoulder blades pop out like a set of wings. If you lay on your back with your hands resting on your stomach do your shoulder rise off the ground? Starting in the same position can you raise your arms over head without arching your lower back? If you answered yes to any of these questions you might want to have an Athletic Trainer or Physical Therapist take a closer look and get you squared away. Anything that messes with shoulder mechanics can cause you to overuse your forearms. If you lived in So. Cal I would be happy to take care of you. Best of luck
Indy mxer
12/2/2013 5:10am
bents wrote:
I have had tennis elbow in both elbows over the years and it is a bastard. I never got a cortisone though as I knew it...
I have had tennis elbow in both elbows over the years and it is a bastard. I never got a cortisone though as I knew it would be a temporary fix while for others it never flared up again. I tried the braces and they never really worked. I just put up with it and eventually it went away, but it took months. And it came out of nowhere. So I don't have an answer for you-sorry!
I had the same problem. I've never had elbow issues but it came out of nowhere. Right side only.
My doc said only thing for it is Advil and try not to aggravate it. Didn't want cortisone.
I took about a week or two off from lifting weights and just did cardio (running). Tried to ride through it but it hurt like a bitch. Finally got off the bike too. It eventually went away and hasn't happened again.

I'm still not sure what triggered it.

Good luck.
Vet57
12/2/2013 6:08am
One thing you can use that WILL help you is Kinesio tape. It is important that you use the correct method of application for each effected area as they different. There are lots of vids on YouTube on how to apply it. I've used it for years.
Kinesio Application
mikem
12/2/2013 7:15am
I've had the exact same thing and went on a course of anti-inflammatorys (Naprosyn) and that actually fixed it right up. Hasn't come back.
brocster
12/2/2013 10:43am
Thanks!

Pretty sure this was brought on by incorporating some circuit training into my routine I just don't know how to reverse it. When I took the cortisone shot I was off the bike for three weeks (work related travel) and thought that would be enough rest along with discontinuing the circuit training. It's bearable, but hardly.

EddieC, I ride ~42 of the 52 weekends a year and have never had a problem. Haven't had a recent injury to cause me to compensate for any other weakness. I incorporated circuit training for more core strength and endurance. Would/could push ups (various types) and dips (various types) be the cause?
Motoxdoc
12/2/2013 12:49pm
brocster wrote:
any of you ever get tennis elbow from riding? it's been giving me fits lately. got a cortisone shot a few weeks back and it went...

thanks,
ryan
3 treatments of Extracorporeal Shock Wave therapy with 1-2 week intervals between treatments. It's a non-aggressive electrical stimulation that focuses on tendons and muscle tendon junctions. Two conditions that seem to benefit the most from this procedure are plantar fasciitis and lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow). You will often ache a little more for 1-5 days after each treatment but then it will get better.
drmarkr
12/3/2013 8:34pm
brocster wrote:
Thanks! Pretty sure this was brought on by incorporating some circuit training into my routine I just don't know how to reverse it. When I took...
Thanks!

Pretty sure this was brought on by incorporating some circuit training into my routine I just don't know how to reverse it. When I took the cortisone shot I was off the bike for three weeks (work related travel) and thought that would be enough rest along with discontinuing the circuit training. It's bearable, but hardly.

EddieC, I ride ~42 of the 52 weekends a year and have never had a problem. Haven't had a recent injury to cause me to compensate for any other weakness. I incorporated circuit training for more core strength and endurance. Would/could push ups (various types) and dips (various types) be the cause?
Yes. Given you're riding this regularly, and it hasn't caused you problems to this point, it's almost certainly caused by a new stress/stressors on the tendon/area.

Knock off any new elbow/forearm related activity for a 6-8 weeks and see if it improves without other changes. NSAID's are ok when used judiciously. But.....you should realize that regular use of these, in order to continue riding/training, is simply masking/hiding the pain, which is the damn red flag that your body wants you to reduce the stress on the affected area!

Gentle stretching/other exercises may help, but you can't be doing things that continue to cause inflammation of the now very inflamed tissues....I'll leave those suggestions to Eddie!

MR
Bineano
12/3/2013 8:49pm
I had tennis elbow in '11 (not caused from MX) but surely aggravated by it. The vibrations from my 2-stroke just killed me, but the 4-stroke wasn't as bad. I DID have to take a big chunk of the season off to recover. Not a 2 vs 4 debate either, cause I love em both! Just saying the 2 stroke irritated it worse...

Post a reply to: mx elbow

The Latest