motoconcepts and a huge announcement coming?

Sully22
4/25/2012 11:47am
DCL36 wrote:
You would have to ask Mike Genova, and It's not an issue of how much it makes, it's a matter of good business sense. I seriously...
You would have to ask Mike Genova, and It's not an issue of how much it makes, it's a matter of good business sense. I seriously doubt Genova's going to throw millions into becoming a title sponsor of a top tier motocross team in this economy, the return on investment needs to make business sense.
You do realize that people with money throw perfectly good money at sporting ventures and teams all the time that they know upfront; lose money, will lose money, or have no hopes of making money, all in the love of being around athletes, having notoriety, and owning a team is a hobby to them. The NFL is full of them, Paul Allen for example, so is the NBA, and the English Premier League. It's what a lot of rich people do to have a hobby job outside their regular "9 to 5" day to day CEO functions of actual money making business. The Portland Trailblazers and the Rose Garden hemorrhage money, yet Paul Allen shows up at almost every game and buys whatever players he wants....even takes guys like Greg Oden over Kevin Durant but that's a different story for another day.
Bob454
4/25/2012 12:31pm
fader418 wrote:
I will bet you 500 bucks MA800 will win a moto. He has a damn good chance of winning hangtown. He was a second faster than...
I will bet you 500 bucks MA800 will win a moto. He has a damn good chance of winning hangtown. He was a second faster than anyone on that piece of crap last year until it bucked him. I think Dungey got 7th or 8th at hangtown last year
Ohhhh baby show me the money!!!
nickm
4/25/2012 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2012 12:34pm
Sully22 wrote:
You do realize that people with money throw perfectly good money at sporting ventures and teams all the time that they know upfront; lose money, will...
You do realize that people with money throw perfectly good money at sporting ventures and teams all the time that they know upfront; lose money, will lose money, or have no hopes of making money, all in the love of being around athletes, having notoriety, and owning a team is a hobby to them. The NFL is full of them, Paul Allen for example, so is the NBA, and the English Premier League. It's what a lot of rich people do to have a hobby job outside their regular "9 to 5" day to day CEO functions of actual money making business. The Portland Trailblazers and the Rose Garden hemorrhage money, yet Paul Allen shows up at almost every game and buys whatever players he wants....even takes guys like Greg Oden over Kevin Durant but that's a different story for another day.
This is very true...a couple of great examples:

1- Ferrari only sold street cars so he cold go racing. The whole ppint of that companys street car program is to finance Formula 1 and to WIN.

2. The red bull family are HUGE racing fans. They want to have their name on everything that wins. By throwing huge dollars at every motorsport in the world they have been quite successful. They are not interested in making money off of racing, they just want to sponsor/own winning teams.

Tell me any one of us, if we had the resources to do so, wouldn't throw cash blindly at a team we believe would be #1 just because a) we want to and b) we can.

If you're trying to figure out a business logic, forget it - it doesn't exist. This is purely and emotional thing!
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/25/2012 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2012 12:37pm
Sounds like the OEMs. No business sense, just pure pride.

The Shop

4/25/2012 12:38pm
Bob454 wrote:
This x55, where are you guys pulling these pipe dreams from? Alessi won't even win a moto. He will get a few holeshots and throw out...
This x55, where are you guys pulling these pipe dreams from? Alessi won't even win a moto. He will get a few holeshots and throw out an anchor the size of a vw bug,
fader418 wrote:
I will bet you 500 bucks MA800 will win a moto. He has a damn good chance of winning hangtown. He was a second faster than...
I will bet you 500 bucks MA800 will win a moto. He has a damn good chance of winning hangtown. He was a second faster than anyone on that piece of crap last year until it bucked him. I think Dungey got 7th or 8th at hangtown last year
he crashed out because he couldnt handle that pace. Tongue
DCL36
4/25/2012 12:41pm
DCL36 wrote:
You would have to ask Mike Genova, and It's not an issue of how much it makes, it's a matter of good business sense. I seriously...
You would have to ask Mike Genova, and It's not an issue of how much it makes, it's a matter of good business sense. I seriously doubt Genova's going to throw millions into becoming a title sponsor of a top tier motocross team in this economy, the return on investment needs to make business sense.
Sully22 wrote:
You do realize that people with money throw perfectly good money at sporting ventures and teams all the time that they know upfront; lose money, will...
Those ventures are more than just hobbies, they create huge write offs along with all the notoriety they're tax shelters as well. There's almost always an angle with most of these guys they don't get to where they are by just pissing money away.
BobbyM
4/25/2012 12:43pm
Bob454 wrote:
This x55, where are you guys pulling these pipe dreams from? Alessi won't even win a moto. He will get a few holeshots and throw out...
This x55, where are you guys pulling these pipe dreams from? Alessi won't even win a moto. He will get a few holeshots and throw out an anchor the size of a vw bug,
Wanna bet?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/25/2012 12:55pm
kind of restating the obvious, but thank God these teams are out there. The number of riders is decreasing at an alarming rate. At least these race teams are biting the bullett and putting up racers.
kongols
4/25/2012 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2012 12:57pm
Genova and Wonder Warthog is gonna storm the castle, finally?
Sully22
4/25/2012 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2012 12:59pm
DCL36 wrote:
Sully22 wrote:
DCL36 wrote:
Those ventures are more than just hobbies, they create huge write offs along with all the notoriety they're tax shelters as well. There's almost always an...
Those ventures are more than just hobbies, they create huge write offs along with all the notoriety they're tax shelters as well. There's almost always an angle with most of these guys they don't get to where they are by just pissing money away.
exactly....so the same applies for MG....the mx stuff (loss if there is one) can be written off...so, if he wants to he could go big, just might have a bigger write off. when you have that kind of money it becomes a write off for a hobby that they can call a business, all because they simply want to....it's fun. I read an article recently (can't remember the publication) that asked....what do rich people do when they get uber rich? They buy a sports team NBA, NFL, MLB, or whatever, all for fun. They don't really go in expecting to make money, if they do great, if not oh well. Same could apply here on a much smaller scale….
kongols
4/25/2012 12:58pm
Pourcel to become Alessi teammate for Nationals?
APLMAN99
4/25/2012 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2012 1:18pm
Sully22 wrote:
DCL36 wrote:
Those ventures are more than just hobbies, they create huge write offs along with all the notoriety they're tax shelters as well. There's almost always an...
Sully22 wrote:
exactly....so the same applies for MG....the mx stuff (loss if there is one) can be written off...so, if he wants to he could go big, just...
exactly....so the same applies for MG....the mx stuff (loss if there is one) can be written off...so, if he wants to he could go big, just might have a bigger write off. when you have that kind of money it becomes a write off for a hobby that they can call a business, all because they simply want to....it's fun. I read an article recently (can't remember the publication) that asked....what do rich people do when they get uber rich? They buy a sports team NBA, NFL, MLB, or whatever, all for fun. They don't really go in expecting to make money, if they do great, if not oh well. Same could apply here on a much smaller scale….
It's not a matter of a "write off". It's a matter of an appreciating asset rather than needing to show a positive return at all times.

Team owners are in it for long term appreciation, and the vast majority of them get exactly that.

That's probably not the case with SX/MX teams though.....
slipdog
4/25/2012 1:23pm
Hahaha Kongols, thats what I was thinking!!!

They just write it off... LOL!
Bob454
4/25/2012 1:39pm
Bob454 wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Wanna bet?
I would love a friendly wager
dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
4/25/2012 1:51pm
fader418 wrote:
I was talking to RV today and told him I'd pick MA to win Hangtown... He said, possible...
4/25/2012 1:59pm
fader418 wrote:
dv12.com wrote:
I was talking to RV today and told him I'd pick MA to win Hangtown... He said, possible...
i wouldnt bet against alessi to win hangtown, but its dungeys title to lose if he stays in one peice.
jbomx363
4/25/2012 2:15pm
I don't doubt Alessi will win some motos, an overall or few.. but Championship? Nah.
KAWboy14
4/25/2012 2:25pm
fader418 wrote:
dv12.com wrote:
............until it bucked him
BobbyM
4/25/2012 2:25pm
Bob454 wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Wanna bet?
Bob454 wrote:
I would love a friendly wager
Fiddy dolla...yer on.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
4/25/2012 2:37pm
If Alessi is gonna ever win the outdoors, its gonna be this year... Reduced competition, hes on a bike he likes.
BobbyM
4/25/2012 4:52pm
motokiwi wrote:
If Alessi is gonna ever win the outdoors, its gonna be this year... Reduced competition, hes on a bike he likes.
bullshit
mauidex
4/25/2012 4:57pm
motokiwi wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
bullshit
why is this bullshit???? no RV, Reed, JS7, Windham, TC, Townley...........proven competitors that have beat him in the past.....

curious to understand your opinion...................and how you come to that???
g0rd057
4/25/2012 5:13pm
nickm wrote:
This is very true...a couple of great examples: 1- Ferrari only sold street cars so he cold go racing. The whole ppint of that companys street...
This is very true...a couple of great examples:

1- Ferrari only sold street cars so he cold go racing. The whole ppint of that companys street car program is to finance Formula 1 and to WIN.

2. The red bull family are HUGE racing fans. They want to have their name on everything that wins. By throwing huge dollars at every motorsport in the world they have been quite successful. They are not interested in making money off of racing, they just want to sponsor/own winning teams.

Tell me any one of us, if we had the resources to do so, wouldn't throw cash blindly at a team we believe would be #1 just because a) we want to and b) we can.

If you're trying to figure out a business logic, forget it - it doesn't exist. This is purely and emotional thing!
Red Bull threw tons of money at NASCAR for a few years and failed to win anything big over there.
They pulled out of NASCAR last year and put all their teams up on the auction block.
mauidex
4/25/2012 5:15pm
yeah well it equals out as they came in and completely kicked ass on all the big F1 teams like Ferrari and McClaren...LOL!!!
cmess77
4/25/2012 6:05pm
motokiwi wrote:
No that would have been 2009. Even less competition, on the bike he likes, which was the best bike out there.
fader418
4/25/2012 6:12pm
Damn Bobby is right Stew is gonna ride a moto concepts Suz outdoors...
Tbteam
4/25/2012 6:19pm
fader418 wrote:
Link to the official statement?
mauidex
4/25/2012 7:12pm
motokiwi wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
bullshit
mauidex wrote:
why is this bullshit???? no RV, Reed, JS7, Windham, TC, Townley...........proven competitors that have beat him in the past..... curious to understand your opinion...................and how you...
why is this bullshit???? no RV, Reed, JS7, Windham, TC, Townley...........proven competitors that have beat him in the past.....

curious to understand your opinion...................and how you come to that???
hey Bobby, really interested in your response to this so I have an understanding of where you base your opinions.........facts or in your own words just "bullshit"...................

and no offense at all, know you been around but so have I, so not a greenhorn here or just fell off the truck...........just like to understand..........thanks
fader418
4/25/2012 7:17pm
fader418 wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
Link to the official statement?
I heard from a bird he is testing with them

Post a reply to: motoconcepts and a huge announcement coming?

The Latest