making a track viable again

white devil
Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 8:16am
A local track is closing(rumor but likely true) and I hate to see it go down. Back in its hayday in the 80's it was always packed. Now it is poorly attended and the current promotor is not popular with most of the hardcore riders in the area. My question is can a local track be more than a tax write off for the promoter and can it have a decent cash flow? What do succsessful tracks have in common.? I have no background in running a track so I dont even know what I dont know! my thinking is to focus on the young kids with a seperate mini track
|
Bytor
10/24/2013 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2013 12:09pm
Tough time to be a track owner. I hope someday MX will be as popular as it has been in the past with 500 entry race days but not sure if well every get back to the glory days with 8k dollar bikes and 3.50 gasoline.
rbm33
Fantasy
1901st
10/24/2013 12:15pm
thats a tough question that cant really be answered by just the internal functions of the facility. the local economics, the geographic location, the number of local dealers, other areas to ride nearby...... all those factors play a huge part in the success of a track, probably more so than the offerings and operations or the track itself.
Mike Sweeney
10/24/2013 12:16pm
I think it can but the owner would need to think outside the box and generate revenue via things other than raceday. (paid memberships, open for practice, etc...) Also, if I were an owner I would look into hosting things like Warrior Dash races, things like that which are hugely popular right now.
Presley155
10/24/2013 12:20pm
First off, what is your local scene like? Is the sport big there? Do you have lots of riders? If you have riders, providing a well prepped track, and prepped regularly, will keep them coming back for more. Here in the Denver area we are spoiled. The motocross/off road scene is very large, therefore tracks prep regularly and have good turn outs. We have a track here that has recently resurrected itself from exactly what you describe. Previous owners got complacent, didn't take care of the track, and the riders left. I hadn't been to the track in 3 years. New ownership has come in and is doing a great job maintaining the track and keeping it prepped and watered throughout the weekend. The place is jamming now on the weekends.

The Shop

REFEREE
10/24/2013 1:04pm
Out of curiosity, what town is this track located in?
Bytor
10/24/2013 1:13pm
Presley155 wrote:
First off, what is your local scene like? Is the sport big there? Do you have lots of riders? If you have riders, providing a well...
First off, what is your local scene like? Is the sport big there? Do you have lots of riders? If you have riders, providing a well prepped track, and prepped regularly, will keep them coming back for more. Here in the Denver area we are spoiled. The motocross/off road scene is very large, therefore tracks prep regularly and have good turn outs. We have a track here that has recently resurrected itself from exactly what you describe. Previous owners got complacent, didn't take care of the track, and the riders left. I hadn't been to the track in 3 years. New ownership has come in and is doing a great job maintaining the track and keeping it prepped and watered throughout the weekend. The place is jamming now on the weekends.
What track is that?
Bytor
10/24/2013 1:47pm
Oh ok. Hadn't heard about new owners. I need to make a call and see who's in there operating. I don't think the owners would sell maybe someone new is operating day to day stuff. The family has been fighting over that place since Al passed away.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
10/24/2013 5:16pm
Diversification with other revenue streams. Some local tracks here have gone to adding flat tracks, sprint car ovals, etc. Those can create larger streams that allow the track to have a viable income. Strictly moto these days? Good questions, but I would presume (not being an owner) you would have to have multiple track and offer a full spectrum of services like an MTF where you are making money across a greater time period.
Eddie_E
10/25/2013 1:40pm
I think the key is making a track layout that appeals to several different levels of riders. If your target audience is only the cool teens who make more than $25 hr, then you won't get the attendance that you need to actually turn a profit.

Build a track that has a big wide sweet spot on all the landings and not too steep on the landings. Avoid deep holes between doubles and triples and there shouldn't be steep sharp spines on the back sides of the landings. A riders will sail past everything in the middle anyways, so there is no reason to screw with the C riders and Vets. When a C rider comes up short, they either take a huge hit ,crash and slow down and get in you way the rest of the day or they bottom out with a funky bounce and realize they can avoid the pain by going a little faster and making the full jump distances. Confidence brings riders to the next level. Father and son teams pay 2 entries and old guys have the money to play with, think about it.
Saltybrad
10/25/2013 5:16pm
Presley155 wrote:
First off, what is your local scene like? Is the sport big there? Do you have lots of riders? If you have riders, providing a well...
Got to give it to the old man at Watkins back in the ninties, He could make a damn good track while drinking whiskey!
10/25/2013 6:26pm
As noted above, there are a lot of factors that can make or break a track. Some you can't even control.

That said, there are things YOU can control. Be friendly, and be extra helpful and nice to the noobs. You don't have to spend a fortune on facilities, but having a decent restroom makes a difference. Not many people like going into a porta-pot with turds and piss sprayed on the seat, and giant floaters the size of bread loaves floating in blue funk just below the seat rim. Especially the girls. Just little things like paper towels and soap help. A water hose and a place to rinse off your bike on those really muddy days. Trash cans here and there - that aren't overflowing with dead rats and possums, dirty diapers, barf, etc. There is a lot that can be done for a small investment. Take care of the little things and success will follow.
10/25/2013 8:54pm
In my opinion, Breezewood Proving Grounds is heading in the right direction as far as building customer loyalty goes. They have basically turned their facility into a place where the entire family can go regardless if they moto. They also have the biggest turnout of women riders I have seen anywhere. They seem to embrace beginners as well. Pretty cool place, I recommend checking out their site and seeing the methods they have used in order to run a successful track in my opinion.
I was going to list them, but it started sounding like a brochure..
JustMX
10/26/2013 1:47am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 1:48am
Crash course in running a track......

If you are lucky,

How ever much work and time you think it may take to do it, double it.......

How ever much profit you think you may make, half it.......

Your welcome....
10/26/2013 5:49am
In my opinion, Breezewood Proving Grounds is heading in the right direction as far as building customer loyalty goes. They have basically turned their facility into...
In my opinion, Breezewood Proving Grounds is heading in the right direction as far as building customer loyalty goes. They have basically turned their facility into a place where the entire family can go regardless if they moto. They also have the biggest turnout of women riders I have seen anywhere. They seem to embrace beginners as well. Pretty cool place, I recommend checking out their site and seeing the methods they have used in order to run a successful track in my opinion.
I was going to list them, but it started sounding like a brochure..
Does Breezewood have decent moto tracks? I've wanted to go but it's far for me.
dcg141
10/26/2013 6:32am
JustMX wrote:
Crash course in running a track...... If you are lucky, How ever much work and time you think it may take to do it, double it...
Crash course in running a track......

If you are lucky,

How ever much work and time you think it may take to do it, double it.......

How ever much profit you think you may make, half it.......

Your welcome....
In the east rain erosion and grass will keep you working pretty much all the time.
10/26/2013 7:37am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 7:39am
Briarcliff MX in Nashport, Ohio has it figured out. The track is 4 hours from my house and I won't think twice about loading up and driving down there for a day of open practice. Superior prep. He pulls riders from Michigan, Indianna, PA, WV. And he's centrally located in Ohio.

If its a premier facility they will come.

That being said, there is another track by my house that races every friday/saturday night. It's turned into a shit hole. In the 90s it was awesome. Now, it's terrible. I won't waste the $40, 20 minute drive to round off my knobbies, I'll drop $200 and drive 4 hr to BC and shred perfection.
Top End
10/26/2013 7:58am
I once heard of a track owner getting a good tax write off because he had a small bee farm that produced and sold honey. Some track owners could fall into agriculture/ farming categories and qualify for state and federal benefits.
jwhitemx15
10/26/2013 8:13am
Briarcliff MX in Nashport, Ohio has it figured out. The track is 4 hours from my house and I won't think twice about loading up and...
Briarcliff MX in Nashport, Ohio has it figured out. The track is 4 hours from my house and I won't think twice about loading up and driving down there for a day of open practice. Superior prep. He pulls riders from Michigan, Indianna, PA, WV. And he's centrally located in Ohio.

If its a premier facility they will come.

That being said, there is another track by my house that races every friday/saturday night. It's turned into a shit hole. In the 90s it was awesome. Now, it's terrible. I won't waste the $40, 20 minute drive to round off my knobbies, I'll drop $200 and drive 4 hr to BC and shred perfection.
X2 regarding Briarcliff!

Awesome track and ran by folks who really know what they're doing. Two hours from my house but well worth the trip! Just wish they were open more often.
Eddie_E
10/26/2013 8:16am
I also drive 2 hrs to get a well groomed track. MX 101 in NH has the best track designers and groomers in New England. That track just flows with lots of mid size jumps and a big triple that just seems to work for everybody lower than pro level and without hurting people.

Post a reply to: making a track viable again

The Latest