leatt 5.5 pro lite vs Leatt Pro Lite Chest Protector

Joemx519
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 11:38pm
Hey,
As the topic title suggests i am looking for a new body armour to replace my current leatt one.
Ive narrowed it down to two, Leatt 5.5 Pro lite and the Leatt Pro Lite Chest Protector

Both have level 2 impact protection so are roughly the same protection wise, was just wondering if anyone has ridden in either of these with a leatt neck brace? and what they think to the protector.

I would be wearing the armour underneath my jersey with the leatt on top, with the 5.5 how do this work (removable panels?)

Thanks in advance Smile
|
mj731
3/11/2014 7:02am
It was trying to get info on the 5.5 and the 3df to wear under my jersey with a brace and posted the question a lot of places and never got any feedback. I went with the 5.5 and it should arrive today so I will let you know how it fits but unfortunately I won't be able to ride with it for a while with all of the snow we still have.
Joemx519
3/11/2014 11:18pm
mj731 wrote:
It was trying to get info on the 5.5 and the 3df to wear under my jersey with a brace and posted the question a lot...
It was trying to get info on the 5.5 and the 3df to wear under my jersey with a brace and posted the question a lot of places and never got any feedback. I went with the 5.5 and it should arrive today so I will let you know how it fits but unfortunately I won't be able to ride with it for a while with all of the snow we still have.
thanks for the reply Smile .. yeah i will interested to hear whats it's like.

bummer about the snow! theu uk's just starting to get better weather again now after one of the wetest winters on record Sad
3/11/2014 11:24pm
I'm interested as well.. Looking into both options you've mentioned above, just waiting to pull the trigger until I know what my best option is!

The Shop

mj731
3/12/2014 6:15am
So I received my 5.5 last night. After adjusting the straps it felt good so I put on my jersey and neck brace. With the shoulder cups on my jersey was pretty tight in the arms and the straps for the padding on the biceps are still tight even adjusted all the way out and I am not that big. I ended up taking off the shoulder cups and I also adjusted the neck brace and was happy with the fit and I will try the shoulder cups again with a larger jersey and I'm sure it will be fine . I'm still curious about the 3df protector but I went with the 5.5 because I'm not a fan of compression type shirts and it seems like it might be a lot of work to keep it clean if I do a lot of riding. Hope this helps a little.
EmDub425
3/12/2014 10:28am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2014 10:30am
Joemx519 wrote:
bump! any help anyone?
You are correct that both are CE level 2 protection. The CE rating you really want to look for is CE EN-1621. That rating is actually certified for impact. CE level 1 which is CE 14021 is certified for "roost protection." There are also CE certifications that are for abrasion resistance as well.

The major differences between the pro-lite and the the 5.5 pro-lite is that the 5.5 is built with more panels. It's going to move with your body more so than the pro-lite will. The standard 5.5 pro has shoulder and arm guards as well as full wrap around rip protection like mj731 stated

IMO nothing else on the market really comes close to what Leatt offers for real protective wear.
U3
3/12/2014 12:52pm
Don't know about the 2 you asked for, but I once tried the adventure jacket. Sizing was way off, an XL fitted only beer belly guys, not sports men. The biggest no-go was the backpanel, which I could to almost a half circle!!! Imagine you getting hit or landing somewhere where your back is bend over. And that from a safety company and a product with a reak backpanel, not just a chest protector.
So for me they can have whatever CE level they get, but no Leatt cehst or back protector.
It may be OK for roost deflection alone....
Joemx519
3/12/2014 11:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2014 11:59pm
mj731 wrote:
So I received my 5.5 last night. After adjusting the straps it felt good so I put on my jersey and neck brace. With the shoulder...
So I received my 5.5 last night. After adjusting the straps it felt good so I put on my jersey and neck brace. With the shoulder cups on my jersey was pretty tight in the arms and the straps for the padding on the biceps are still tight even adjusted all the way out and I am not that big. I ended up taking off the shoulder cups and I also adjusted the neck brace and was happy with the fit and I will try the shoulder cups again with a larger jersey and I'm sure it will be fine . I'm still curious about the 3df protector but I went with the 5.5 because I'm not a fan of compression type shirts and it seems like it might be a lot of work to keep it clean if I do a lot of riding. Hope this helps a little.
So the shoulder cups dettach on the hd version then? i find the same with alot of armours with shoulder cups, that you have to go for an overly sized shirt just so it fits over them lol

Is there removable panels for where the leatt sits at the front? as i would be wearing underneath my shirt with the leatt on top

thanks for the help
Joemx519
3/12/2014 11:27pm
Joemx519 wrote:
bump! any help anyone?
EmDub425 wrote:
You are correct that both are CE level 2 protection. The CE rating you really want to look for is CE EN-1621. That rating is actually...
You are correct that both are CE level 2 protection. The CE rating you really want to look for is CE EN-1621. That rating is actually certified for impact. CE level 1 which is CE 14021 is certified for "roost protection." There are also CE certifications that are for abrasion resistance as well.

The major differences between the pro-lite and the the 5.5 pro-lite is that the 5.5 is built with more panels. It's going to move with your body more so than the pro-lite will. The standard 5.5 pro has shoulder and arm guards as well as full wrap around rip protection like mj731 stated

IMO nothing else on the market really comes close to what Leatt offers for real protective wear.
thought i was right Wink aha.

Yeah the 5.5 does look good with the rib protection included, was tempted by the lite version but now i know the shoulders can be removed i may just go for the hd with the rib guards.
Joemx519
3/12/2014 11:28pm
U3 wrote:
Don't know about the 2 you asked for, but I once tried the adventure jacket. Sizing was way off, an XL fitted only beer belly guys...
Don't know about the 2 you asked for, but I once tried the adventure jacket. Sizing was way off, an XL fitted only beer belly guys, not sports men. The biggest no-go was the backpanel, which I could to almost a half circle!!! Imagine you getting hit or landing somewhere where your back is bend over. And that from a safety company and a product with a reak backpanel, not just a chest protector.
So for me they can have whatever CE level they get, but no Leatt cehst or back protector.
It may be OK for roost deflection alone....
ive tried on there jacket type armour and i really couldnt see myseld riding in it, felt like it would be more suited to going to war in lol
rallendude
3/13/2014 7:02am
I have the pro-lite and wear a leatt neck brace. The original version. I like the chest protector. It works well underneath or outside the jersey. It's light and I don't even notice it. There are two panels on the top front and top back that are removable so the leatt brace fits over top of it. The fit with the neck brace is very good. I have not tried the 5.5.

I recently bought my oldest son the same chest protector but it's a Fly verson. The price is the same MSRP but I had Fly contingency money to spend and really just wanted to support Fly Racing.
Joemx519
3/13/2014 11:16pm
rallendude, thanks for the reply.. ive currently got the leatt adventure body armour but looking to go something with level 2 ce likee the light pro or the new 5.5. have you had any crashes in yours? i had a fairly big off in mine and it protected me well so im guessing the level 2 ones will be even better.

Thats a good shout, i may look at the fly ones also
Joemx519
3/17/2014 12:01am
Anyone have any info regarding whether the 5.5 hd pro's shoulder cups are removable? And does the 5.5 have removable plates for the leatt to be worn on top of the jersey with the armour underneath?

Thanks! Smile
mj731
3/17/2014 4:48am
Joemx519 wrote:
Anyone have any info regarding whether the 5.5 hd pro's shoulder cups are removable? And does the 5.5 have removable plates for the leatt to be...
Anyone have any info regarding whether the 5.5 hd pro's shoulder cups are removable? And does the 5.5 have removable plates for the leatt to be worn on top of the jersey with the armour underneath?

Thanks! Smile
Yes, the shoulder cups are removable. There are panels that just push in where the neck brace sits and you have to remove a piece of foam in the rear but it's setup so you don't need tools for that. I tried it on with a different jersey and the shoulder cups and it fit fine but I needed to adjust the shoulder cups and that takes a small Allen wrench.
Joemx519
3/17/2014 5:22am
great thanks for the reply. I will have to look into it then.

either way with the 5.5 hd pro or lite version i wouldnt be running the shoulder cups. just the hd has the added bonus of rib protection :/
mj731
3/17/2014 5:44am
I wasn't sure if I wanted the shoulder protection or not but if you know you don't want it for sure go with the lite version and save a few bucks.
Joemx519
3/18/2014 2:40am
yeah i think i may just go for the hd pro, can either run the shoulder cups or not then if i want plus has the rib protection that looks good.

is there any chance of some pictures of yours? with the leatt fitted etc

thanks
mj731
3/18/2014 5:42am
I will get one when I get home tonight. I might get to ride with it this weekend so I can give you a report then as well.
Joemx519
3/19/2014 12:09am
mj731 wrote:
I will get one when I get home tonight. I might get to ride with it this weekend so I can give you a report then...
I will get one when I get home tonight. I might get to ride with it this weekend so I can give you a report then as well.
ok thats great thanks..i look forward to hearing how you get on with it

Post a reply to: leatt 5.5 pro lite vs Leatt Pro Lite Chest Protector

The Latest