ktm 250sx or yz250x..digger, pete?

opyguy
4/7/2017 6:33am
ultimate tire kicker, looks like 2 good deals, 500 more for the 250sx.
50 year old vet c professional practice rider, maybe 2-3 races a year (southwick, crowhill wareham etc).
Anybody ride both and give me some input? Coming from a 350sxf, leaning toward the KTM but worried about the "hit"? Rode my buddies 150sx and loved it in the corners, but definitely underpowered for me (6"2", 200 lbs).
any and all input appreciated.
|
wide open wally
Fantasy
3762nd
4/7/2017 6:40am
I'm 6'5" 215 pounds and I thought it was a little more mellow then years previous for the KTM. Very smooth running bike for woods riding in stock trim. Haven't rode a Yamaha so I can compare just throwing my two cents in
resetjet
4/7/2017 6:41am
Rode both. Unimpressed with the yz250x but i guess you could modify it back into a yz250. The power is just too mild an almost feels like it wont go on pipe.....i would get the ktm....great bike.
4/7/2017 6:50am
I have ridden both. The Yz250x is super mellow in stock form. My brother put a gnarly pipe and turbine core silencer and it woke it up a lot. In stock form I found you have to ride it on the pipe like a 125. You didn't say what year 250sx your looking at? I can say from 13 and up the SX hits a lot harder than the X. Im 6" 200lbs and I find the cockpit on the yzx cramped, my buddy who is similar height and weight felt that too and ended up getting lower foot pegs to help with that. I really like my brothers yzx but I do find it cramped and you have to be more aggressive on it to ride it fast.
opyguy
4/7/2017 6:53am
2017 SX
2016 X

The Shop

4/7/2017 7:01am
Yeah the 2017 SX is awesome once you get the carb sorted. I find the 17 the best 2 stroke I've ridden but I will say I also found that it took the most work to get it that way. I replaced the mukuni with a 36 keihin. I will go back to the 38 once I have some more time to piss around and get that carb working properly. I also replaced the throttle cable with a longer motion pro and changed the stock throttle assembly with the old domino that came with the bikes. That 17 throttle assembly is so stiff you can get arm pump warming up the bike- lol
4/7/2017 7:06am
I forgot that I also don't run the air fork. I hate the lack of feel to my hands with them. I run cone valve forks
dedi684
4/7/2017 7:06am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 7:15am
I've had 5 yz 250s and was thinking about getting a 250x. After research I believe the best for me is a combination of both. I had a 15 250sx I didn't care for the jetting or suspension. I ride the same tracks 40b. I am interested in trying a 17 ktm 250.
Sixeightone
4/7/2017 7:18am
Yamahas are junk. Blows the skirt right off the back of the piston every time. The KTM is far superior imo. the 15/16 ktms had horrible forks. If you could change those the bikes are awesome.
pete24
4/7/2017 7:45am
im a yamaha guy and a stock guy. digger is a hi end every part in the book guy , ill stand buy those yamahas till i die, a ktm is european it doesnt feel the same as a jap bike and it never will if you can get used to that euro trash then buy it, then tell me how much you spent on cone valves, pipes, and trinkets, o wait never mind digger tells me that evry time i see him, those yzxs are great bikes
bigmaico
4/7/2017 7:51am
opyguy wrote:
ultimate tire kicker, looks like 2 good deals, 500 more for the 250sx. 50 year old vet c professional practice rider, maybe 2-3 races a year...
50 year old vet c professional practice rider, maybe 2-3 races a year (southwick, crowhill wareham etc).
Anybody ride both and give me some input? Coming from a 350sxf, leaning toward the KTM but worried about the "hit"? Rode my buddies 150sx and loved it in the corners, but definitely underpowered for me (6"2", 200 lbs).
I thought the "HIT" was adjustable by changing the power valve settings & the spring

One of my Racing buddies has a 13' or 14' SX 250 & has put in the "Red" spring & adjusted it to his liking.
braaap707
4/7/2017 8:13am
The 2017 KTM is a smoother, faster, better handling, better braking, great air forks and has superior quality components. No reason to even buy the Yamaha.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/7/2017 8:17am
opyguy wrote:
ultimate tire kicker, looks like 2 good deals, 500 more for the 250sx. 50 year old vet c professional practice rider, maybe 2-3 races a year...
bigmaico wrote:
I thought the "HIT" was adjustable by changing the power valve settings & the spring One of my Racing buddies has a 13' or 14' SX...
I thought the "HIT" was adjustable by changing the power valve settings & the spring

One of my Racing buddies has a 13' or 14' SX 250 & has put in the "Red" spring & adjusted it to his liking.
I was going to say this also. Just even adjusting the tension on the power valve 1/2 makes the power come in much different.

If you like the KTM you can always adjust it to your style.
Digger29
4/7/2017 10:01am
It really all depends on what you're going to do with it. They're both great bikes. If it was going to be strictly moto tracks I'd definitely get the 17 250SX. I rode 3 of them at the KTM demo day at Winchester in Oct and they were awesome. Super smooth and near zero vibration and the suspension was very good stock. I did have a mild chubby while riding the 250SX's but it wasn't at full attention to make me want to get one over a new 17 450FE :-)
Digger29
4/7/2017 10:12am
pete24 wrote:
im a yamaha guy and a stock guy. digger is a hi end every part in the book guy , ill stand buy those yamahas till...
im a yamaha guy and a stock guy. digger is a hi end every part in the book guy , ill stand buy those yamahas till i die, a ktm is european it doesnt feel the same as a jap bike and it never will if you can get used to that euro trash then buy it, then tell me how much you spent on cone valves, pipes, and trinkets, o wait never mind digger tells me that evry time i see him, those yzxs are great bikes
Nice reply shitbird and it was not very helpful either. The 17 KTMs or Husky's with the new chassis and the AER air fork are without a doubt the best MX bikes on the tracks today. They win every shootout in every mag with a very wide range of riders testing them. My bikes are 1000% race-able bone stock and need NONE of the things that I buy for it. I can afford it so I buy the stuff you mentioned for them. I remember very well when the both of us didn't have the extra coin to bling them out and we were just happy to have a cpl bikes and that we could afford to race every weekend. Stop hating on the "euro trash" KTMs Pete. See ya soon shitrick :-)
HardTaco
4/7/2017 10:28am
If you want a good, reliable, proven motorcycle - buy the Yamaha. It will last forever and already has the best suspension you can get on it.

If you want to look cool, bs with the bros at the track about how you got KTM underwear and a KTM toaster from the new hard parts catalog and never ride the bike.... Get a KTM.

It's easy to see at any track or race. The guys that put a lot of hours on smokers are always on Yamahas because they last. The rich dudes and guys that ride once every 6 months are on brand new KTMs.
pete24
4/7/2017 11:17am
HardTaco wrote:
If you want a good, reliable, proven motorcycle - buy the Yamaha. It will last forever and already has the best suspension you can get on...
If you want a good, reliable, proven motorcycle - buy the Yamaha. It will last forever and already has the best suspension you can get on it.

If you want to look cool, bs with the bros at the track about how you got KTM underwear and a KTM toaster from the new hard parts catalog and never ride the bike.... Get a KTM.

It's easy to see at any track or race. The guys that put a lot of hours on smokers are always on Yamahas because they last. The rich dudes and guys that ride once every 6 months are on brand new KTMs.
yup what you said
resetjet
4/7/2017 12:55pm
Well i own both and i find my yamaha to be way below the ktm in terms of finish. The yamaha almost looks chinese in comparison. However the yz250 is a really good bike as is the ktm. The 250x is just detuned too much for moto if u ask me.
SoCalMX70
4/7/2017 1:02pm
I'm partial to my 250x... so no comment lol. I see the pointless bickering of Yamaha vs KTM 2 strokes too often... Pick one or both (1 for moto, other for trails).
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
4/7/2017 1:06pm
HardTaco wrote:
If you want a good, reliable, proven motorcycle - buy the Yamaha. It will last forever and already has the best suspension you can get on...

If I had a nickel for every generalization like this on vital, o boy. BTW, what exactly lasts forever on the Yamaha?
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
4/7/2017 1:14pm
HardTaco wrote:

seth505 wrote:
If I had a nickel for every generalization like this on vital, o boy. BTW, what exactly lasts forever on the Yamaha?
The grips
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
4/7/2017 1:30pm
HardTaco wrote:

seth505 wrote:
Myke wrote:
The grips
Agreed!
wide open wally
Fantasy
3762nd
4/7/2017 2:40pm
HardTaco wrote:

It's the bros who always rip on a ktm. You can stay on your 20 year old slightly updated yamadog and pay a little less for a 17 compared to the KTM. I'll take the newest and most cutting edge two stroke tech on the market. Bro.
HardTaco
4/7/2017 3:16pm
Man you guys are sensitive..... Another bad side effect of owning a KTM... You get sensitive.
Digger29
4/7/2017 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 3:44pm
HardTaco wrote:
Man you guys are sensitive..... Another bad side effect of owning a KTM... You get sensitive.
I'm definitely not a sensitive KTM rider and I'm also not that rich guy that rides his new KTM every 6 months either though :-) I raced 25 races and also many practices in 15 with zero issues with my 15 450FE and I raced 26 races last yr on my 16 450FE with zero issues. They're awesome bikes and very well built. They're super light, narrow, nimble and very flickable and just super easy to go fast on. That being said they're all great bikes. I rode my buddy's 15 RMZ 450 which the mags say is the worst 450 made and I loved it. Everything was in the right spots for me and FC had the suspension all sorted out and it was fun to ride. Yes it's heavier and that was very noticeable but the ergos are very good. I would finish in the exact same place on that bike as I would my FE. It's not arrow it's the Indian :-)

Post a reply to: ktm 250sx or yz250x..digger, pete?

The Latest