info on why Kawi switched to FMF...

BAD10
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:36pm
So I'm told. Remember last season when RV looped out in the whoops, and DNF'd because his silencer got packed with dirt , and his bike wouldnt start? Well, Kawi wanted PC to change the endcap design to something that would be less suseptable to that happening again (ala a more blunt FMF type design), and well........ PC wouldnt/couldnt do it,so they switched to FMF. So ive been told. Dont shoot the messenger. Woohoo
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
1/11/2011 1:52pm
I said that after ATL last year that PC should change it's end cap and that's the first thing I thought of when I heard Kawi had switched to FMF. Sure the design looks cool but it could have ended up costing Kawi the championship. If RV had those 25 points from ATL, would he have been pushing so hard at St. Louis???
mjskier
1/11/2011 2:13pm
If that's the reason it is pretty lame. I see that as a security feature.
If a rider falls hard enough to pack the silencer, the rest of the bike is probably pretty tweaked (and so is the rider, although adrenalin might hide the injury)
Do they really want somebody jumping a rhythm section not knowing if the bike or the rider is damaged?
R-acer
1/11/2011 2:15pm
Interesting.
I have heard many reasons, and they could all make sense.

I was also wondering if Kawasaki is not happy with Mitch for sponsoring Chad Reed. Reed and Kawi seemed to have a bitter end, and Kawasaki might see Mitch as "arming" the enemy? I am not sure if we will ever know the real truth.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
1/11/2011 2:18pm
mjskier wrote:
If that's the reason it is pretty lame. I see that as a security feature. If a rider falls hard enough to pack the silencer, the...
If a rider falls hard enough to pack the silencer, the rest of the bike is probably pretty tweaked (and so is the rider, although adrenalin might hide the injury)
Do they really want somebody jumping a rhythm section not knowing if the bike or the rider is damaged?
Are you serious?

The Shop

mx295
1/11/2011 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2011 2:19pm
That's not the reason. Kawasaki could have easily machined a new cap if that was the case. Or made a carbon cap like the 97 kawis had. It was a weight and performance change.
mjskier
1/11/2011 2:23pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Are you serious?
Why wouldn't I be? Do you think a rider is going to land a podium after having a major get off? We are not talking about just laying the bike down in a corner here.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
1/11/2011 2:26pm
mjskier wrote:
If that's the reason it is pretty lame. I see that as a security feature. If a rider falls hard enough to pack the silencer, the...
I could see a whole new line of "safety " parts.. ie: clutch levers and handlebars that break if the bike is dropped. Rims and spokes that break if you land too hard and those pesky foot pegs that just won't bend.. get rid of em!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
1/11/2011 2:29pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Are you serious?
mjskier wrote:
Why wouldn't I be? Do you think a rider is going to land a podium after having a major get off? We are not talking about...
Why wouldn't I be? Do you think a rider is going to land a podium after having a major get off? We are not talking about just laying the bike down in a corner here.
RV would have still podiumed had the endcap not been packed with dirt.
gotwings
1/11/2011 2:30pm
Nice! But I called that last year!!!

"Reply to factory Kawi 12/29/2010 9:24 AM
Maybe FMF's don't pack with dirt when you cartwheel!?!"

easy_e
1/11/2011 2:31pm
R-acer wrote:
Interesting. I have heard many reasons, and they could all make sense. I was also wondering if Kawasaki is not happy with Mitch for sponsoring Chad...
Interesting.
I have heard many reasons, and they could all make sense.

I was also wondering if Kawasaki is not happy with Mitch for sponsoring Chad Reed. Reed and Kawi seemed to have a bitter end, and Kawasaki might see Mitch as "arming" the enemy? I am not sure if we will ever know the real truth.
I'm not sure kawi is overly bitter about reed as monster paid his salary so they probably are more happy he didn't stay a second year. Still kinda weird that they made that change with how tight everyone thought they were.
JE215
Fantasy
1357th
1/11/2011 2:34pm
mjskier wrote:
Why wouldn't I be? Do you think a rider is going to land a podium after having a major get off? We are not talking about...
I believe he landed on the podium.

mx317
1/11/2011 2:34pm
Didn't Mitch sue Monster? With that being Kawasaki's sponsor, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
1/11/2011 2:37pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Are you serious?
mjskier wrote:
I thought I would make it further into the year before having to use this.

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
1/11/2011 2:38pm
mx317 wrote:
Didn't Mitch sue Monster? With that being Kawasaki's sponsor, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
Completely different issue. The lawsuit is about rider agents and representation.
Racer111
1/11/2011 2:48pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Are you serious?
mjskier wrote:
Yes, he is serious. If RV could have gotten his bike to fire back up, he would have gotten on the podium. Same goes for that huge loopout RD had last year. He could have very easily done the same thing to his silencer that RV did and Dungey didn't even lose a position if I remember correctly.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
1/11/2011 2:51pm
BAD10 wrote:
So I'm told. Remember last season when RV looped out in the whoops, and DNF'd because his silencer got packed with dirt , and his bike...
So I'm told. Remember last season when RV looped out in the whoops, and DNF'd because his silencer got packed with dirt , and his bike wouldnt start? Well, Kawi wanted PC to change the endcap design to something that would be less suseptable to that happening again (ala a more blunt FMF type design), and well........ PC wouldnt/couldnt do it,so they switched to FMF. So ive been told. Dont shoot the messenger. Woohoo
That sounds like it could possibly make sense....

Mitch did say something about Kawi wanting him to do something and he said he didn't have time or didn't want to make time (something along the lines of that).
race
1/11/2011 3:00pm
Probably a combination of all of the above ... but the end cap alone is worth the change. A team manager is not going to want to leave anything easily fixable to chance. Especially when you've already been bit by it once. Whether the rider can continue after a crash is irrelevant as there's nothing you can do about it.

Pdub
1/11/2011 3:43pm
"Hey, uh, ya know we think your stuff is rad, but could you change the endcap on the can... make it more like you comp?"

"Er, why don't you leave the exhaust thing to us?"

"Srsly, we'd feel better if you could make it more like this... (shows picture of FMF can)"

"NO!"

"Pleeze?"

"Eff off with your craziness"

"Fine. Then kiss your contract goodbye."

Yeah, I'm sure it went down just like that... Wink
typ2vw159
1/11/2011 4:24pm
I heard Don offered them 20% off all FMF product.
Towelie
1/11/2011 4:24pm
I really doubt the end cap is the issues as EVERY team that runs PC stuff would be demanding the change as well. And whoever said Kawi could make their own is correct. The end cap could just be something that irked kawi into pulling the trigger but business deals do not fall apart over one thing, especially something as trivial as an end cap.
Nealio
1/11/2011 4:35pm
Everyone knows that FMF Megabomb is filled with some kind of surplus Russian uranium and gives you like 13% more torque... Smile
Why would you NOT want to switch to FMF?
Torco1
1/11/2011 4:43pm
Nealio wrote:
Everyone knows that FMF Megabomb is filled with some kind of surplus Russian uranium and gives you like 13% more torque... :) Why would you NOT...
Everyone knows that FMF Megabomb is filled with some kind of surplus Russian uranium and gives you like 13% more torque... Smile
Why would you NOT want to switch to FMF?
Uh, hello......I worked at FMF for like 6 or 7 years and I can tell you the Megabomb was NOT filled with Russian uranium. They are filled with the ivory from walrus tusk.
TerryK
1/11/2011 4:47pm
End a multi year, big bucks contract because of a muffler end cap?

lol
Billy Jack
1/11/2011 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2011 4:51pm
Dumbest thing I ever heard and I doubt it is even partly true. It's not like it's Pro Circuits fault that the rider crashed. Is Kawi now going to refuse to race on tracks with steep take off ramps? The bottom line in this deal is the all mighty dollar.
zippy895
1/11/2011 4:55pm
gee, i thought they switched because they/kawasaki/m.fishers main goal was to lighten up every part on the bike that they can.
could it be that mitch/p.c. didnt have enough time to do r&d on a lighter unit and still be reliable?
Torco1
1/11/2011 4:56pm
TerryK wrote:
End a multi year, big bucks contract because of a muffler end cap?

lol
I heard that was the real reason RC retired when he did.
BAD10
1/11/2011 5:03pm
Towelie wrote:
I really doubt the end cap is the issues as EVERY team that runs PC stuff would be demanding the change as well. And whoever said...
I really doubt the end cap is the issues as EVERY team that runs PC stuff would be demanding the change as well. And whoever said Kawi could make their own is correct. The end cap could just be something that irked kawi into pulling the trigger but business deals do not fall apart over one thing, especially something as trivial as an end cap.
Business deals CAN fall apart due to one thing, and I'm betting RV and Fish dont think last years dnf was trivial. But you naysayers can laugh on...................Tongue

Post a reply to: info on why Kawi switched to FMF...

The Latest