how do you warm up your 250 2 stroke?

ratonmacias
Edited Date/Time 12/2/2014 7:03pm
What i have always done is start the bike. Blip the throttle from 1/4 to half For a minute or so. then ride easy a lap then go at normal pace.

What do you do?
|
JW381
12/1/2014 8:04pm
NHtoWA421 wrote:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsB2nsls28

All you ever need to know my mqn. I hear the guy rides with pastrami. The 2 stroke king himself.
Just spit PBR and Copenhagen all over my keyboard. Hadn't seen that before.

To answer your question, I usually warm my bike up with sensual kissing and 1-2 fingers, maybe an extra in the butt, depending on how freaky the mood is.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
12/1/2014 8:14pm
No matter what you have to put your right hand just behind the muffler, give it a few blips with your left hand while stretching your back.

No one has ever figured out who started it, or what it achieves, but everyone does it.
ratonmacias
12/1/2014 8:16pm
My dad says they would heat leather gloves in the 70 s so that they would be softer to avoid blisters.

The Shop

bvm111
12/1/2014 9:06pm
I run it on the stand until the top of the radiator is warm and the cylinder head is uncomfortable through my glove. I then head out to the track clearing the cylinder and smoking everyone out in the pits with a grin on my face, take a lap and cruise and then go for broke!!!
bonseff
12/1/2014 9:20pm
bvm111 wrote:
I run it on the stand until the top of the radiator is warm and the cylinder head is uncomfortable through my glove. I then head...
I run it on the stand until the top of the radiator is warm and the cylinder head is uncomfortable through my glove. I then head out to the track clearing the cylinder and smoking everyone out in the pits with a grin on my face, take a lap and cruise and then go for broke!!!
There ya go, that's how it's done.
JW381
12/1/2014 9:23pm
bvm111 wrote:
I run it on the stand until the top of the radiator is warm and the cylinder head is uncomfortable through my glove. I then head...
bonseff wrote:
There ya go, that's how it's done.
Only problem with that is gumming up your PV. Saw a tech tip on YouTube (can't think of the guy's name but I'm sure you're all seen a vid or two of his) and he suggested warming up the bike by riding it after the initial minute or so. That way it doesn't load up so bad, foul a plug, and fully carbonize your PV. Are you running a cast or forged piston?
bonseff
12/1/2014 9:24pm
Start it on the stand while you put on your gear, blip it here and there in between, and occasionally pin it for a few seconds or two like a mini rider on the gate, the put on your boots. amirite?
jeffro503
12/1/2014 9:36pm
Hell , I fire it up and let it some what idle for about 10-15 seconds and then start giving little blips of about 1/3rd throttle. I'll do that for a good 30-45 seconds and then start riding it over to the track. Couple minutes of running I'll clean it out with a few 3/4 - full throttle blips. Ride her kind of easy for the first 1/2 lap then hammer down!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
12/1/2014 10:31pm
Idle the bike with the occasional throttle blip until the cylinder feels almost hot to the touch. Go ride.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
12/2/2014 3:40am
Your suppossed to warm them up?
Spydee
12/2/2014 3:44am

or on a REALLY cold day I'll use this..

Frodad78
12/2/2014 4:50am
motokiwi wrote:
No matter what you have to put your right hand just behind the muffler, give it a few blips with your left hand while stretching your...
No matter what you have to put your right hand just behind the muffler, give it a few blips with your left hand while stretching your back.

No one has ever figured out who started it, or what it achieves, but everyone does it.
Lol yeah, I used to do it in the colder months of up North. I remember practice one morning a Broome Tioga was so damn cold I couldn't keep get my hands on that exhaust fast enough!!
Ardfarkl
12/2/2014 5:52am
Rub it gently on the tail pipe and head simultaneously.
rippaaa
12/2/2014 6:51am
motokiwi wrote:
No matter what you have to put your right hand just behind the muffler, give it a few blips with your left hand while stretching your...

Allows you to feel if the exhaust smoke is warm or cold.. Pretty much can feel if ur cylinder is warm
TailSoHard
12/2/2014 7:12am
I learned from buddies that have quads that you should start it up and immediately hold it wide open and spin as many donuts as you can in the parking lot without stopping. That way all the trucks will get pelted with gravel, you'll help get everybody accustomed to the dust, and will establish your dominance as the top parking lot rider of the weekend. Then you can pack up and go home. Mission accomplished.
12/2/2014 7:35am
I normally just let her idle for about 15-20 seconds and the just start bliping the throttle a bit to about 1/2, then once the rads are warm and the cylinder is hot, then I hold her wide open a couple times for a second to clear her out so she can stop bogging and get to full rpms.

Also, idk if this is weird or anything, but after I clear her out, when I take off in the pits, its like I have to clear her out again. What would cause this?
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
12/2/2014 8:14am
I'm on a 125. I get my gear on then start it. Let it idle for about 1 minute then start slowly rolling on the throttle. Up to about 1/4 a few times, then up to about 1/2. Not blips but letting the engine build. When I feel like it's starting to clear out I will roll up to half then give it a blip. When it revs cleanly and it doesn't smoke when it revs then I will. Cruise around the parking lot 1st 2nd gear. Doing a few short pulls, and revs. To make sure it's ready. Then hit the track usually about 1/2 speed the first lap.

That's for the first start. The rest of the day I will start it a few revs and go.
Skerby
12/2/2014 9:14am
motokiwi wrote:

This!

Also, i like to start riding mine before it has a chance to load up really bad. I generally turn the choke off right after she fires up, do the whole warm my hand up with the exhaust nonsense, cruise that dirty girl down the first straight, after that I just yard on her.

Warm up is not such a big deal with a cast OEM piston.
mxtech1
12/2/2014 10:22am
some of these responses.....like you're warming up a space shuttle jet engine because your life depends on it.

I would be more concerned about the goons who start their bikes at the gate 3-4 minutes ahead of time and just constantly wring out the throttle cuz they are juicin with adrenaline
12/2/2014 10:25am
I usually start by throwing my boots on with my Wranglers and a Def Leppard t-shirt, then I put on the helmet I found in my dad's gear bag from the 80s. I start it with the choke on, then blip the throttle 1 time and jam it into gear right away. It usually goes "bwaa bwaaa" and stalls. So I repeat the process again and again. Eventually it goes and I ride around with the choke on for a bit and it still going "bwaaa" until I finally turn the choke off.

From there I typically go out and try to hit everything first lap, usually coming up short and jumping front end high, or in a full endo for my first long moto. I like a good, long 4 laps to get things started. Ya know, a really long moto.
Berni
12/2/2014 10:57am
I start it an inmediately start riding it easy for one minute or so, an that is it. With cast pistón

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/2/2014 12:24pm
motokiwi wrote:

rippaaa wrote:
Allows you to feel if the exhaust smoke is warm or cold.. Pretty much can feel if ur cylinder is warm
Yes, totally true. Also warms up your hands, allows you to direct some of that sweet 2-stroke smell up to your nose to get you in the mood and slightly sedated, and also to draw applause from the crowd.

12/2/2014 1:05pm
JB 19 wrote:
I usually do it like this. Let'er know who's boss.

https://youtu.be/rTQawLqgx7M
Man, I need some eye-bleach after watching that. That was just wrong!

I warm up my bike by starting it and just blipping the throttle. If it is cold out (kinda rare here in Florida) I sit there for a couple of minutes at least. I always take my first lap slow and give it full throttle on the straights for a bit. Once it is cleared out, it's on!

Post a reply to: how do you warm up your 250 2 stroke?

The Latest