health insurance

Blake
11/13/2009 2:58pm
Doesn't the AMA provide coverage for PRO Card holders?

I believe it still covers what your normal insurance won't, or something. It's been a long time and I don't remember.
DrSweden
11/13/2009 3:46pm
Damn, I hope this health care madness will take a turn for the better one day...
11/14/2009 5:23am
wouldn't you want to protect yourself with catastrophic coverage if available?

If you don't then you have one ingredient for financial disaster and we all know it isn't IF you get hurt it is WHEN you get hurt and how bad will it be.
ASH510
11/14/2009 5:59am
ama only provides coverage at ama races

The Shop

YZKEN250
11/14/2009 7:29am
I think they only cover so much. I remember Jimmy Button having to pay out alot of money for his rehab.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
11/14/2009 7:52am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2009 7:53am
Blake wrote:
Doesn't the AMA provide coverage for PRO Card holders? I believe it still covers what your normal insurance won't, or something. It's been a long time...
Doesn't the AMA provide coverage for PRO Card holders?

I believe it still covers what your normal insurance won't, or something. It's been a long time and I don't remember.
This is complicated. But I was screwed byt he AMA secondary insurance. Pro Riders should never count on it. I did EVERYTHING right and had no help when I was injured and tried to get help.

I was aperfect example of where this should work and it didn;t that was 2000 though, things may have changed.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
11/14/2009 7:57am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:56pm
Look, EVERYONE should look at your policies because the truth is, no matter if you have insurance or not they usually only pay so much and then they are done!

Obviously having it is a MUST! Usually you get insurance to cover the regular injuries, broken bones and stuff. Nobody actively plans for "the big one". Paying a high risk premium making sure you are covered completely would be thousands of dollars a month. AND you better disclose what you do for a living and pay a high risk policy or they will clip your ass as soon as they find out! lol.

ambulance, helicopter, lots of days in the hospital, surgery, icu, anesthesia, that is just the start and usually you are capped at that point.

Then you have rehab and post accident expenses, not to mention lost income of yourself or family members that have to stop everything to tend to you.

Lots of time you see rides getting help from road to recovery and such. Not all the time is it because the rider did not have insurance. Sit back and think of ALL the expenses that come with a devestating injury.....
lukaitis9
11/14/2009 10:58am
Very True Regis-

I was just kinda wondering about how it all worked. I'm not even sure if my own insurance would cover me in case of the big one. I think people always think it's not going to happen to them but when it does it spells financial ruin, no matter how fiscally sound your investment may be and then there is the flip side of the Bently or the IRA.....
daisy7386
12/10/2009 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2009 6:53pm
wpark89
12/10/2009 7:07pm
The AMA Pro Riders Insurance like somebody said only covers a licensed Pro rider at a National or SX event. It's a secondary insurance through Lloyds of London (or it used to be a few years ago anyway) It paid 80% of costs that your primary Insurance didn't cover...so for it to work at all you had to have some sort of primary.

I've heard stories about it never paying anything, however I had good luck with it. In '01 I blew out my knee at Glen Helen Sunday morning. I had just got out of college that month and was kicked off my parents plan...so really I had no primary, the AMA insurance paid 80% of my knee surgery, rehab and brace.
Motodrew295
12/10/2009 9:39pm
What's up Wes? welcome to vital!

Just before cruising to vitalmx, I purchased insurance through my school, and was reading through the brochure, holy moly the wording they use is something that only a law professor could decipher. I just got kicked off my dad's plan after turning 24, so i had to buck up $750 for 8 monthes of coverage.
JackLHyde
12/10/2009 10:07pm
I brought this topic up in the Matthes chat. I don't get it either. Don't you Americans have a national health insurance? I often hear stories of "having to pay the doctor" and such. Over here every German has to pay about 15% of his gross income into a health insurance fund. By the way, Marsack must have had some really bad luck with the hospital he went into. I have never seen a place like he mentioned.
RuFfRyDaH
12/11/2009 3:30am
@jack there isnt a national health insurance in the usa...obama is just trying to install that...

once when i was in vegas for the finale i got some kind of virus from the food in the hotel and just to get antiotics and see a doctor(after waiting 6hours) for 3 minutes it was 500 bucks...its absolutly crazy what they charge...my travelinsurance paid...

but i wouldnt ride in the usa...just breaking your arm would kill you financially without insurance...where here it's walk in...wait a little get your cast and be gone
johansen
12/11/2009 4:41am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2009 4:42am
If I go to the states on vacation do I need some type of insurance? Would be really fun to get one of this supercross-packages! Ride during the week and watch a supercross at the weekend. But this insurance thing make me have second thougts. Do a travel insurance cover up for ambulance, surgery etc.?
RuFfRyDaH
12/11/2009 4:50am
mine didnt, but i think every insurancecompany is different....
i would be sure to check that...i also have a accidentinsurance that covers everything the german system doesnt cover and pays out some bucks for every day that im in the hospital...

but anyways...id be sure to check that out
txmxer
12/11/2009 5:30am
I don't know what you need, but, it would probably be a good idea to get some type of catastrophic plan coverage. Limit the amount you could be out in case of something serious.
12/11/2009 6:44am
Unfortunately, athletes being under insured is a significant problem in all professional sports. The folks down in the hall in my firm that work with young athletes see this and the challenges it brings to pro's and their families.

In motocross, the families that support these young riders typically put as much as they can into the cost of the sport (equipment, travel costs, etc) to keep their young pilot as well equipped for success as they can afford. And as a result if resource limitation, they generally are underinsured for serious injuries.

When kids become young adults and are no longer eligible for their family's insurance plan, they should get their own individual coverage, and a supplemental accident policy to ber truely covered. The bad news is that will typically run $600 to $1,000 a month ( I could be off here but not by much). Thats a lot of tires, chains and sprockets, so many young professionals just don't get the coverage and risk it.

The next layer of insurance coverage is income replacement. This is a policy available to professionalds that have a consistent earnings source (like a two year factory contract). These policies pay a monthly amount if a rider is injured anc can't ride after 90 days, and then it pays a lump some amount if the rider can not compete for a year or more. This policy is a bit pricy, but worth it to riders that want to insure their income stream will continue.

Find a way to get health insurance, it should be considered part of the cost of riding just like tires and gas.
tatonka
12/11/2009 1:55pm
Unfortunately, athletes being under insured is a significant problem in all professional sports. The folks down in the hall in my firm that work with young...
Unfortunately, athletes being under insured is a significant problem in all professional sports. The folks down in the hall in my firm that work with young athletes see this and the challenges it brings to pro's and their families.

In motocross, the families that support these young riders typically put as much as they can into the cost of the sport (equipment, travel costs, etc) to keep their young pilot as well equipped for success as they can afford. And as a result if resource limitation, they generally are underinsured for serious injuries.

When kids become young adults and are no longer eligible for their family's insurance plan, they should get their own individual coverage, and a supplemental accident policy to ber truely covered. The bad news is that will typically run $600 to $1,000 a month ( I could be off here but not by much). Thats a lot of tires, chains and sprockets, so many young professionals just don't get the coverage and risk it.

The next layer of insurance coverage is income replacement. This is a policy available to professionalds that have a consistent earnings source (like a two year factory contract). These policies pay a monthly amount if a rider is injured anc can't ride after 90 days, and then it pays a lump some amount if the rider can not compete for a year or more. This policy is a bit pricy, but worth it to riders that want to insure their income stream will continue.

Find a way to get health insurance, it should be considered part of the cost of riding just like tires and gas.
Agreed, good info in that post. Of course everyone's premiums are going to vary somewhat but DO NOT STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND on this issue!! Get insured!!

At the RiderDown Foundation we get requests for help from riders who have crashed almost daily. It is so frustrating to see these cases come in without insurance and yet the family has the toy hauler, multiple bikes, golf carts, all the extras and NO insurance! To me that is not the definition of a responsible rider.
onit450
12/11/2009 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2009 2:44pm
Insurance companies suck, they suck you dry and leave you to wilt in the desert after they steal your money. But, the problem is, if you don't have insurance, you will regret it when you are injured. Be responsible. Think about what WILL happen to you and prepare for it. Many young people think they will never get hurt, but no one is superman. Pay the insurance companies for protection later on. Either way you will get raped (by the insurance company or by the hospital) but it will be less expensive down the road if you have insurance.
nobhead
12/11/2009 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2009 2:42pm
nobhead
12/11/2009 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:24pm
JackLHyde wrote:
I brought this topic up in the Matthes chat. I don't get it either. Don't you Americans have a national health insurance? I often hear stories...
I brought this topic up in the Matthes chat. I don't get it either. Don't you Americans have a national health insurance? I often hear stories of "having to pay the doctor" and such. Over here every German has to pay about 15% of his gross income into a health insurance fund. By the way, Marsack must have had some really bad luck with the hospital he went into. I have never seen a place like he mentioned.
Wow 15 percent? If someone here is making 80k a year that's $12,000 a year and that would pay for pretty good private insurance here. I wish I knew the average earning of a pro below the top 10 or 15 level. It's hard to tell if good insurance is feasible.Since it isn't mandatory many would simply buy something else tangible.

Also maybe I'm a dumbass when it comes to writeoffs, but I just found out from my attorney that surgeries and all medical expenses are deductible. I've had 3 $100k spine surgies in the last 5 years that my accountant said I could not write them off. Balls! Well, now I am obviously re-submiting my taxes for those years.

Maybe the AMA should deduct 5 percent of payouts to go to a better umbrella policy. 15% for Stewart and ReedDevil
onit450
12/11/2009 2:46pm
Maybe the RIDERS need to pressure the AMA about getting better health insurance!!! If the would ban together maybe they could get something done about it.
captmoto
12/11/2009 3:12pm
The AMA won't be able to get better insurance due to the nature of the sport. It would probably triple the cost. If you look at AFLAC, they won't cover you as a Pro since you are competing for money.
15%!!! Plus income tax?? That's universal health care but it ain't cheap.
SteveS
12/11/2009 3:34pm
JackLHyde wrote:
I brought this topic up in the Matthes chat. I don't get it either. Don't you Americans have a national health insurance? I often hear stories...
nobhead wrote:
Wow 15 percent? If someone here is making 80k a year that's $12,000 a year and that would pay for pretty good private insurance here. I...
Wow 15 percent? If someone here is making 80k a year that's $12,000 a year and that would pay for pretty good private insurance here. I wish I knew the average earning of a pro below the top 10 or 15 level. It's hard to tell if good insurance is feasible.Since it isn't mandatory many would simply buy something else tangible.

Also maybe I'm a dumbass when it comes to writeoffs, but I just found out from my attorney that surgeries and all medical expenses are deductible. I've had 3 $100k spine surgies in the last 5 years that my accountant said I could not write them off. Balls! Well, now I am obviously re-submiting my taxes for those years.

Maybe the AMA should deduct 5 percent of payouts to go to a better umbrella policy. 15% for Stewart and ReedDevil
My wife and I together pay way less than that for insurance.

Post a reply to: health insurance

The Latest