has anybody ever recovered a stolen bike..

zippy895
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 7:32pm
honestly,were do the bikes end up.if not parted out,has anyone here in all there years ever recover a stolen bike.
tell me your story.
|
bogdan912
10/22/2010 5:17am
I am not a police bashing kind of guy, but you really need to do the work yourself. No one that knows about stolen property will talk to cops regardless if they were involved or not. They will talk to though especially if there is reward money.
Roscoe33
10/22/2010 5:29am
I racer I sponsored a few years back was doing some winter training in Florida and 2 new Ktm's were taken from the race trailer in the hotel parking lot.
Police said not a chance they would be recovered...
a week later they are heading up I -75 and another racer who pitted beside them called on his cell phone to say he was getting gas and looked into one of the work bays and saw an orange bike with # 81 on it ! police arrivved and the kid was actually doing wheelies on the road with it, but turned out ther was no oil in the bike...
remember that bumber sticker "ride it like you stole it" ?

It can happen... just don't hold your breath.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/22/2010 5:36am
As far as "where do bikes end up", if they are stolen in Texas they often end up in Mexico via brokers in El Paso and other border cities. A lot of the theft around here is organized crime, not just punks wanting to take a joy ride.

The Shop

DanDunes818
10/22/2010 5:47am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2010 5:56am
Back in like 1980 I got my 1979 rm 60 stolen out of our garage. My step mom and I a few days after that drove out to a local riding area in Saugus Ca. As we're driving out to where all the kids ride on a dirt road a kid on a rm60 ,with no tire on the rear rim came riding towards us. Yep it was mine. My step mom screamed at him and the kid threw the bike down , denting our car , and took off running. The funny part is the cops later caught up w/the kid and went to his house and 1/2 the stolen from the Santa Clarita valley was in this kids garage and the kid happened to be the son of a local cop.
Denny979
10/22/2010 6:18am
I have seen two cases where reward posters worked to get stolen bikes back. This summer a friend had his 250f stolen and he posted a reward. A few weeks later he said a guy looking strung out on crack or something knocked on his door and asked how much the reward was. My friend had 30 bucks on him and the guy showed him the house where the bike was. He stopped in the road, walked past the pitbull tied to a tree,
opened the door to the garage out back. Grabbed the bike tossed it into the truck with no tie downs and got the hell out of there.
In the other case the theif's brother in law got pissed at him and turned him in for the cash.The cops were called on this and went to retrieve it.
dedi684
10/22/2010 6:28am
Yup, both times I recovered my stolen items myself. My brand new yz 80, woke up and found it missing along with my kdx 80. My dad and I, 14 at the time headed out on foot in any direction we thought the thieves may have went. Next thing we hear someone riding myu yz along raikroad tracks. A 2x4 and some threats and we got it back, found my kdx laying alongside trail as well. My honda 200x came up missing, a week later and some investigating, caught the kid riding it.
MX_Andrew83
10/22/2010 6:37am
A friend of mine had his bike stolen a couple of years ago, he noticed these strange skid marks in the street in front of his house, and followed them as they kept appearing, and disappearing. The tracks lead to his sons friends house, the cops were unable to retrieve the bike from the house, because the had no proof, however the boys mother let him take it later that evening. The skid marks were left on the road because they stole it with a mini van, and let the rear wheel hang out.
short198
Fantasy
3305th
10/22/2010 6:44am
I have had two friends get bikes stolen and both were found and still in the shape that they were taken.

The first one was stolen from my buddies garage. He contacted the police and they walked around the neighborhood and said that nothing or no one seemed suspicious. They said that was about all that they could do and then left. My buddies neighbor was a bit of a troublemaker but there was always some respect between the two. My buddy told his neighbor about what had happened and told him he would give him $200 if he found it. The next day the neighbor went and stole it back from the original thiefs and put it back in my buddies garage. An alarm system was then installed that week!

The second one was again stolen from a different friends garage. The sheriff was able to track it to the edge of the property where it was loaded into a vehicle. Time came and went and nothing was heard. Then a guy in town was busted for drugs and there in his basement was my buddies bike. After the police recovered it he was then able to identify it and get it back!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/22/2010 7:02am
There were several bikes stolen at Ponca this year and the Ponca City Police recovered all of them within 48 hrs.
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
10/22/2010 7:09am
My bike got stolen, I called the police and they came and did and their regular report writing and stuff. Luckily it was paid off I had the title and they took down the vin number and that was it. About 4 months later I had given up all hope that I would ever see my 2004 CR250 again. Out of the blue I get a call from an officer, he said that they raided a tweeker house and it was in their backyard! All I had to do was come down to the station sign a release and it was all mine. All the graphics were gone, the back tire was bald and the kill button got replaced with a toggle switch. The funny thing is, I broke my chain that night at the track, and when I got back it had a brand new one on there.
zippy895
10/22/2010 7:13am
has anybody recovered a bike from a smart thief? organized ring?
Rupert X
10/22/2010 7:20am

Yeah, there was a bunch of dirt-bike thievery in our little town in the late '90's

(as there probably is now) - me and a friend both had our kids' mx bikes stolen -

a month or so later I was picking my son up from school and randomly drove

by a house that had my friends' boys' CR-80 out front, minus the numbers - but

I knew it was his...we got together with a gun and a baseball bat and knocked on door,

dad said that a kid gave the bike to his kid, acted nonchalant (3$ grand bike, yeah..)

- we called the cops and ultimately uncovered my bikes, too...That was fun, by the way...
bogdan912
10/22/2010 7:21am
My bike theft was gang related, they moved it immediately to Atlantic City. The guy I recovered it from I believe was a pawn to the whole scheme and was just a guy that would take the fall for the bike. I had so many people looking for it, police and regular people, that they couldn't deal with it and needed to dump it. I had crack heads telling me they would steal it back...

If you get enough heat on it they'll dump it, it's not worth it to them.
Rudeboy119
10/22/2010 7:25am
got my YZ250 and KLX110 stolen on my honeymoon! Came back from hawaii to find the locks cut off my 8x24' trailer. Long story short the police found them 2 weeks later in some kids back yard by a pile of logs under a tarp. Impounded them and then wanted me to pay a 2,000 "storage fee" to get my own damn bikes back! So whos the thief here. My wife is in PR and got the local news involved within 24hrs and mysteriously the fine was waived >=)
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/22/2010 7:38am
zippy895 wrote:
has anybody recovered a bike from a smart thief? organized ring?
In my case the ring was broken up by luck. There was a guy at a motocross track in El Paso spreading the word that if anyone needed a bike or 4 wheeler he could get it cheap. One of the people he happened to approach was an off-duty cop parked next to him. The cop wrote down the serial # of the 4 wheeler the guy was riding and had the number run while they were still at the track. It came back stolen, but instead of busting him for the stolen property the cop told him he was in the market for a high end 4 wheeler. They set up a sting operation and instead of just busting the minion at the track they caught some higher ups in a multi-state crime ring. All the bikes/4 wheelers were coming from North Texas. They would sell what they could sell in El Paso, and the rest would go to Mexico.
KGAspeed
10/22/2010 7:58am
I had an '02 CRF450 stolen out of the garage (long, bad story). Called the cops - I knew who stole it but could not prove it.....I knew them, but didn't know where they lived, etc.

Cops basically told me "fat chance we'll find it".

A year and a half later a police officer called me at work out of the blue - he said that he rides, so he takes a personal interest in trying to find stolen MX bikes. He likes to randomly pull over trucks with bikes in the back to check VINs, especially when the scenario looks suspicious.

He found a couple guys that..... didn't look like the typical moto enthusiast (I'll leave it at that) in a beat up truck heading to Elsinore - pulled them over and sure enough, it was mine.

At the time I lived off of Cal Oaks road and the 15 - the bike was recovered just miles up the road and it was pretty different from the typical CRF at the time (it was a magazine bike loaded with tons of aftermarket stuff)...so you'd think it would be easy to see / spot.

Thing is, they're so easy to hide; your odds are slim.

It was impounded and sent to a salvage yard (my insurance company had already paid me off - another nightmare to deal with) - I wanted to go to the salvage yard auction to buy it back (for the right price only), but they wouldn't tell me ANYTHING about when the auction would occur.

I just gave up and forgot about it.
mxbeeb
10/22/2010 8:07am
The night before the 2000 Kenworthys National I had my trailer ransacked in the hotel parking lot (right off the Huber Heights exit of I-70) and had two 2000 RM125s (along with tools, parts and gear) stolen. They hit a few other trailers parked next to us, as well. The police were there in the morning and did some investigating, but it seemed like a lost cause. Every year since then I would get a random call from the Huber Heights Police Dept. asking if I'd like to keep the case open, and I would say 'sure.'

Well, just last year (Yes, NINE years later) I got a call from the Dayton PD saying that they recovered one of my RM125s!

So, we make the four-hour drive to pick it up and have to pay almost 700 bucks to get the bike (which is probably worth maybe 1,000 now) out of impound. Awesome!

A fresh piston and she fired right up.

I still can't believe they recovered it after all these years...

RealityZ
10/22/2010 8:26am

My bikes were stolen out of my trailer, right behind an apartment complex in my hometown. It was an inside job and relative of a friend at a local practice track. A farmer reported motorcycle sounds on his property and the local police went to investigate and found my bikes stripped of stickers in some bushes.

Scumbags
mjskier
10/22/2010 8:40am
I got lucky the 2 times somebody tried to steal my bikes.
One time I heard the guy and managed 2 good punches to the head before I had to grab the bike to prevent it from falling.

The second time I caught a ride home and we came by the scene of an accident. The thief was just out for a joy ride, missed the braking point and t-boned a car. I could have filed an insurance report but the cops put the heat on the parents instead and they put up the cash to fix the bike instead of seeing their kid go off to jail.
zippy895
10/22/2010 8:41am
RealityZ wrote:
My bikes were stolen out of my trailer, right behind an apartment complex in my hometown. It was an inside job and relative of a friend...

My bikes were stolen out of my trailer, right behind an apartment complex in my hometown. It was an inside job and relative of a friend at a local practice track. A farmer reported motorcycle sounds on his property and the local police went to investigate and found my bikes stripped of stickers in some bushes.

Scumbags
thunder ridge area?
Bret
10/22/2010 8:45am
Back in 1991, I had a pristine '75 DT250 stolen. The police eventually found it abandoned in a field. It was thrashed so bad that it was unrideable and beyond restoration. It made me sick to my stomach.
DBerg
10/22/2010 9:12am
mjskier wrote:
I got lucky the 2 times somebody tried to steal my bikes. One time I heard the guy and managed 2 good punches to the head...
I got lucky the 2 times somebody tried to steal my bikes.
One time I heard the guy and managed 2 good punches to the head before I had to grab the bike to prevent it from falling.

The second time I caught a ride home and we came by the scene of an accident. The thief was just out for a joy ride, missed the braking point and t-boned a car. I could have filed an insurance report but the cops put the heat on the parents instead and they put up the cash to fix the bike instead of seeing their kid go off to jail.
Dude, I think if I caught someone trying to steal my bike or any property of mine that is of high value, I would seriously just go apeshit on them with whatever I could find, whether it be a 2x4, my bare hands, or a knife. Just reading this thread makes me so freaking angry at the thought of some loser ass crackhead stealing people's property that they work so hard for. Angry
mx_563
10/22/2010 9:27am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2010 9:28am
My friends bike got stolen from the back of his pick-up at UCLA (early 90s). He'd given up hope too and several years later (I'm thinking it was at least 5 years later) he got a call fromt the Lancaster Police Department. They found the bike in some tweeker's yard. it was in bad shape and my freind had to spend a bunch of money just to make "sellable".

Oh, and one time in College my roomates "stole" my bike as a prank. They finally came clean after I had already called the cops. Thirty minutes of pure panic. F-ing assholes. :-P
Lipert Racing
10/22/2010 9:37am
Our daughter had 2 bikes stolen out of her garage 4 years ago. Her 110 was recovered about a year later. The impound fees were more than the bike was worth, so she let it go. She got a call about 4 months ago that her YZ250 was recovered. They recovered it on a Thursday, called her on a Monday and the impound fees were $1200.00. She picked it up and it had been repainted twice and the seriel number had been changed. After several trips to the Sheriffs Dept. and DMV she was able to get the paperwork she needed to sell it. Its a pain in the ass. The house they recovered the YZ from also had a stolen quad and 4 jet skis. The police were there for a totally unrelated reason and decided to check seriel numbers. Suprisingly, they gave her a copy of the police report which had the guys address, phone number, social security and drivers license numbers on it. We havent decided what to do with that information yet Smile
They guy who stole the bike had given it to his son to race...talk about good parenting
bogdan912
10/22/2010 9:45am
Our daughter had 2 bikes stolen out of her garage 4 years ago. Her 110 was recovered about a year later. The impound fees were more...
Our daughter had 2 bikes stolen out of her garage 4 years ago. Her 110 was recovered about a year later. The impound fees were more than the bike was worth, so she let it go. She got a call about 4 months ago that her YZ250 was recovered. They recovered it on a Thursday, called her on a Monday and the impound fees were $1200.00. She picked it up and it had been repainted twice and the seriel number had been changed. After several trips to the Sheriffs Dept. and DMV she was able to get the paperwork she needed to sell it. Its a pain in the ass. The house they recovered the YZ from also had a stolen quad and 4 jet skis. The police were there for a totally unrelated reason and decided to check seriel numbers. Suprisingly, they gave her a copy of the police report which had the guys address, phone number, social security and drivers license numbers on it. We havent decided what to do with that information yet Smile
They guy who stole the bike had given it to his son to race...talk about good parenting
Post it!
10/22/2010 9:57am
We recovered 2 of out stolen bikes. We were returning from dinner one evening about 2 months after they were stolen and the idiots went riding by us on the paved road, and we just flipped a bitch and followed them to their property. (I live in a rural area on land w/ my own track)

Coincidentally it happened to be the people I told the worthless police probably took them.
Nascarnick
10/22/2010 10:00am
Had one stolen back in 2000. Once my bro and I tracked it down we loaded up 2 billy clubs and a bottle of Jack. Told the idiot we wouldnt call the cops if he gave the bike up. When he rolled the bike out of garage at agreed upon time, we watched as the police arrested him and we enjoyed our JD from a distance!!!!
mjskier
10/22/2010 10:10am
DBerg wrote:
Dude, I think if I caught someone trying to steal my bike or any property of mine that is of high value, I would seriously just...
Dude, I think if I caught someone trying to steal my bike or any property of mine that is of high value, I would seriously just go apeshit on them with whatever I could find, whether it be a 2x4, my bare hands, or a knife. Just reading this thread makes me so freaking angry at the thought of some loser ass crackhead stealing people's property that they work so hard for. Angry
The bike was parked in the street in front of my apartment. It also was in Europe which doesn't exactly have a "make my day" law.
But even in the US you can get screwed if you go all medieval on a thief. Unless you feel you are cornered and your life is in danger.
It's like playing sport. The ref never seems to nail the original offender., but they are pretty quick to nail you for "retaliation". What's up with that?

Post a reply to: has anybody ever recovered a stolen bike..

The Latest