giving up too easily these days ?

Julian
5/23/2016 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 12:05pm
"""RJ Hampshire had a good first moto, placing fifth, but suffered a nasty endo in the second moto and got trapped under his bike. It ended his day."""

This is what I see happening a lot these days and for the life of me I just can't remember this type of stuff happening back a few decades ago..... Can anyone really imagine a Broc Glover or Bob Hannah becoming "trapped underneath" his bike and then having to PULL OUT of the moto ?

or am I not remembering well?
|
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
5/23/2016 1:31pm
Did he get burned? That was the only thing i kept thinking while he was trapped over there.
TeamGreen
5/23/2016 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 1:38pm
Wrong thread
ML512
Fantasy
36th
5/23/2016 1:37pm
Julian wrote:
"""RJ Hampshire had a good first moto, placing fifth, but suffered a nasty endo in the second moto and got trapped under his bike. It ended...
"""RJ Hampshire had a good first moto, placing fifth, but suffered a nasty endo in the second moto and got trapped under his bike. It ended his day."""

This is what I see happening a lot these days and for the life of me I just can't remember this type of stuff happening back a few decades ago..... Can anyone really imagine a Broc Glover or Bob Hannah becoming "trapped underneath" his bike and then having to PULL OUT of the moto ?

I was standing next to this incident, RJ got up but was shaken pretty good. Helmet was pretty tore up, hand looked banged up, and a lot of smoke was coming off his headpipe after being trapped under the bike (possibly burned?).

There's always more to the story.
IceMan446
5/23/2016 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 1:40pm
His arm got sucked in between the wheel and the swing arm.

Took a little time to get his arm out and it was a little jacked up.

I don't blame him.

The Shop

bvm111
5/23/2016 1:41pm
Julian wrote:
"""RJ Hampshire had a good first moto, placing fifth, but suffered a nasty endo in the second moto and got trapped under his bike. It ended...

no you aren't remembering well at all
brimx153
5/23/2016 1:48pm
Baggett ,broke his collarbone , and still finished . But i do agree with the OP , there are some riders who pull in alot ,when anything goes wrong . Then you have other rider s , who do impossible thing s, just to finish . How do you even ride with a broken collarbone !!
Julian
5/23/2016 1:49pm
yea, I was also thinking about what had actually happened under the bike, leg folded back and stuck in the wheel, burned by the pipe, etc, and I was really feeling for the guy, then later saw him up and comments was that he seemed ok, that's what brought about this post.
But still, it does appear lots of riders these days just brake off a clutch lever or whatever and then just pull out whereas that sort of stuff just did not happen in the 70's, The riders literally just jumped back up after a crash and hopped on the bike and took off as fast as they could, whereas nowadays most just casually get up and then sit and SLOWLY click the bike back into neutral and start the kicking ritual for about two minutes.

Some however do jump back into action fast, lets see who for example... Dungey, Tomac, Roczen, to name a few, but there are lots on down the list who just surprise me at their lack of interest in trying to finish out a moto as high as they can....

Any comments from guys who actually witnessed the 70's ?
BobPA
5/23/2016 1:51pm
Julian wrote:
yea, I was also thinking about what had actually happened under the bike, leg folded back and stuck in the wheel, burned by the pipe, etc...
yea, I was also thinking about what had actually happened under the bike, leg folded back and stuck in the wheel, burned by the pipe, etc, and I was really feeling for the guy, then later saw him up and comments was that he seemed ok, that's what brought about this post.
But still, it does appear lots of riders these days just brake off a clutch lever or whatever and then just pull out whereas that sort of stuff just did not happen in the 70's, The riders literally just jumped back up after a crash and hopped on the bike and took off as fast as they could, whereas nowadays most just casually get up and then sit and SLOWLY click the bike back into neutral and start the kicking ritual for about two minutes.

Some however do jump back into action fast, lets see who for example... Dungey, Tomac, Roczen, to name a few, but there are lots on down the list who just surprise me at their lack of interest in trying to finish out a moto as high as they can....

They were not booting 150 foot jumps in the 70's either.
Julian
5/23/2016 1:52pm
Forgot about Blake, yes indeed, there is another example of a "70's style rider" ....
95% of the other riders would not have been back out on the track
Justin345
5/23/2016 2:02pm
RJ posted on IG that he chipped his teeth (so he probably got clocked in the face pretty good..) and almost lost his arm (likely wrapped up in the rear wheel/swingarm). So he got his bell wrung pretty good.
Julian
5/23/2016 2:08pm
Justin345 wrote:
RJ posted on IG that he chipped his teeth (so he probably got clocked in the face pretty good..) and almost lost his arm (likely wrapped...
RJ posted on IG that he chipped his teeth (so he probably got clocked in the face pretty good..) and almost lost his arm (likely wrapped up in the rear wheel/swingarm). So he got his bell wrung pretty good.
That's the "rest of the story" that the mainstream media has failed to bring forth, thanks, Hampshire has all my respect in this case - I wish him a speedy recovery. And by the way I am not saying a rider should return to finish a moto with a broken collarbone - There are just some with so much heart, they do such extreme things like Blake did.
jeffro503
5/23/2016 2:13pm
This thread is giving me cancer.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/23/2016 2:26pm
Julian wrote:
That's the "rest of the story" that the mainstream media has failed to bring forth, thanks, Hampshire has all my respect in this case - I...
That's the "rest of the story" that the mainstream media has failed to bring forth, thanks, Hampshire has all my respect in this case - I wish him a speedy recovery. And by the way I am not saying a rider should return to finish a moto with a broken collarbone - There are just some with so much heart, they do such extreme things like Blake did.
The mainstream media? Sorry, I didn't see the Washington Post or New York Times there.
500guy
5/23/2016 4:54pm
Julian wrote:
yea, I was also thinking about what had actually happened under the bike, leg folded back and stuck in the wheel, burned by the pipe, etc...

The only thing that was great about the 70's was the memory of it.

most of the bikes seldom made 2 complete motos and plenty of people had to retire after a crash.

There was some gnarly tough guy's then and there are some now.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/23/2016 5:27pm
It's pretty absurd to make this incident an example of anything but how rough this sport can be, especially without witnessing it. He was under the bike a long time before anyone got to him, and it took them a long time to work whatever body part was stuck; like gently (?) rocking the wheel back and forth. Even if fit, not sure he could have gotten into points.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/23/2016 5:38pm
Justin345 wrote:
RJ posted on IG that he chipped his teeth (so he probably got clocked in the face pretty good..) and almost lost his arm (likely wrapped...
Julian wrote:
That's the "rest of the story" that the mainstream media has failed to bring forth, thanks, Hampshire has all my respect in this case - I...
Ordinarily, adults prefer to have all the facts ~ "the rest of the story" ~ before they throw someone under the bus for supposedly not having heart. But I understand that's not your metric.
5/23/2016 6:56pm
This was just last year, do even follow the sport?

"The 2015 Arlington Supercross marked the beginning of RJ Hampshire’s professional supercross career, and the GEICO/Honda rider got a warm welcome in practice from the fresh red clay inside of Texas’ AT&T Stadium, with a big crash. Even with this gnarly intro to Monster Energy Supercross, RJ qualified for the show with the 11th fastest lap-time, qualified for the main with a 5th in his heat race and went on to finish 7th in his first-ever main event.

Not a bad debut for a healthy rookie, but today @RJHampshire posted that RJ went to the hospital and found out he was racing with broken ribs, a bruised lung with some small punctures and some internal bleeding. He is still hanging out in the hospital for a little while longer while they wait for the blood in his abdomen to dry up, so he can race the next weekend."
hvaughn88
5/23/2016 7:00pm
Justin345 wrote:
Julian wrote:
Ordinarily, adults prefer to have all the facts ~ "the rest of the story" ~ before they throw someone under the bus for supposedly not having...
Ordinarily, adults prefer to have all the facts ~ "the rest of the story" ~ before they throw someone under the bus for supposedly not having heart. But I understand that's not your metric.
Game, set, match.
Jimmy_Sloan
5/23/2016 7:02pm
Julian wrote:

The speeds that these guys are going today are much, much faster than in previous eras. I think that because of the higher speeds, riders can get banged up a lot more easily when they crash.
newmann
5/23/2016 7:27pm
Julian wrote:

The speeds that these guys are going today are much, much faster than in previous eras. I think that because of the higher speeds, riders can...
The speeds that these guys are going today are much, much faster than in previous eras. I think that because of the higher speeds, riders can get banged up a lot more easily when they crash.
So, faster racing does not necessarily equate to better racing.

But, since you mentioned the speed of things, I always liked this pic of Glover.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/23/2016 7:34pm
newmann wrote:
So, faster racing does not necessarily equate to better racing. But, since you mentioned the speed of things, I always liked this pic of Glover. [img]http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofimages/Broc_Glover1.jpg[/img]

But, since you mentioned the speed of things, I always liked this pic of Glover.

Prolly about 1/125 a second, pretty slow actually...
newmann
5/23/2016 7:38pm
newmann wrote:
So, faster racing does not necessarily equate to better racing. But, since you mentioned the speed of things, I always liked this pic of Glover. [img]http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofimages/Broc_Glover1.jpg[/img]

Prolly about 1/125 a second, pretty slow actually...
Sounds about right Mr. Photog. You get more pics up yet??
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
5/23/2016 7:54pm
Mr. G wrote:
5:22 RC is up before the bike stops moving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEATaeEHBzw
newmann wrote:
At 1:15 is James doing "The Worm"? The Sprinkler? Laughing And holy $hit at 5:10 ....Thar she blows!!!

https://youtu.be/YEATaeEHBzw
Man, its a wonder those guys can get out of bed in the morning! Good find Newmann Smile
Mr. G
5/23/2016 8:12pm
I posted that thank you.
Mr. G
5/23/2016 8:13pm
Mr. G wrote:
5:22 RC is up before the bike stops moving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEATaeEHBzw
newmann wrote:
At 1:15 is James doing "The Worm"? The Sprinkler? Laughing And holy $hit at 5:10 ....Thar she blows!!!

https://youtu.be/YEATaeEHBzw
I remember when 5:10 happened back in real time and thought it was all over. Total rag doll.
5/23/2016 9:29pm
Julian wrote:

Seems to me this thread is less about RJ Hampshire and more about Roczen pulling off in Vegas because his gloves were dirty, and Bubba pulling off every other race because he doesn't want to finish 10th.

Post a reply to: giving up too easily these days ?

The Latest