PastranaWho
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 5:57pm
|
500guy
8/25/2015 8:38pm
copy and paste, He doesn't deserve the traffic
jeffro503
8/25/2015 8:39pm
His opinion means absolutely nothing here.
PastranaWho
8/25/2015 8:39pm
Clearly forgetting that he has ridden four very good and diverse GP circuits in the last four MXoN events (St Jean, Lommel, Teutschenthal, and Kegums) Ryan Dungey has given some pretty outspoken comments in a RacerX interview yesterday.

On the RacerX website, Dungey says GP tracks aren’t that good, and that competition is tougher in America. Considering he has finished with 7-9-6-7-2-11 in the last three MXoN events it seems a strange comment to make. Even mentioning that hard pack doesn’t really look like a racetrack? Please don’t tell your boss Roger De Coster that hard-pack isn’t a real race track, or Joel Robert or so many of the former legends of the GP circuit, that grew up racing hard-pack.

Not a single Team USA rider has won a moto at the last three MXoN events, and while the european riders do have home advantage, it seems to me that both series have great riders and great circuits. It’s impossible to say which is stronger, and for sure considering the MXoN results the last three years how can he say the AMA competition is tougher? Maybe he needs to ask Ryan Villopoto?

Justin Barcia had another opinion after racing in Germany two years ago and has a similar comment after the Lommel MXoN event.

“I have much respect to Team Belgium and Italy, as the tracks here are extremely tough and a lot more challenging than back at home. I know we said that last year in the sand, but these guys ride some gnarly stuff. We wanted to win bad, but these guys just outrode us this year. I got a decent start in the first race, but I rode a bit tight and struggled with some stuff, although I ended up fourth. In the second race I fell on the start and had to fight my way back from the back of the pack, which was some frustrating racing. I didn’t ride very well all weekend, but there’s a lot of cool fans here. We are disappointed to finish second, but it’s been another good experience. I love racing with these guys, as it’s awesome. The European series is cool and the tracks are way gnarlier than back at home. I wish our tracks got like that; we can’t find anything like that in the US to ride with it being so choppy and gnarly. Hopefully one day I can maybe come back and race the GP’s after hopefully winning some US championships.

RFX_Dantec_728x90
Everyone is entitles to their opinion, but for GP lovers it is a disappointing statement from the American champion, and one he can’t back up as he won’t be racing the USGP in September, instead taking a rest to prepare for the Red Bull Straight Line event and the Monster Energy Cup.

Below is the question and answer.

RacerX: Do you have an interest in going to race a GP one day?

Dungey: I thought about it until I seen Villo’s [Ryan Villopoto], just how everything worked out in that aspect. Not to mention, not to disrespect the MXGP guys, but those tracks over there just look terrible. There’s been a lot of races where it looked good, but then there’s a lot of races where I don’t even really think it’s really racing. It looks really hard-pack. It doesn’t look like a racetrack in my eyes. I think over here in America the competition is higher, tougher. So I won’t ever probably do that in my lifetime.
Crush
8/25/2015 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 8:44pm
It's pretty silly to say the GP circuits don't look like racetracks–race tracks vary and to me MX should be on a variety of surfaces. I hate riding hardpack because it's so prevalent here.... but it is a part of moto. I'd love to see more variance in the AMA circuit but having said all of that, I'm quite sure Dungey said "...to me..." which is just a reflection of his experience where a lot of AMA tracks are watered, ripped, prepared, man made jumps etc.

I'd say Barcia's comments were from a couple years ago and that the AMA circuits are rougher this year.

I'd also say RV did a lot better than what most people are making it out to be. He had a mechanical and two crashes at the opening round. Won the 2nd. Was in podium contention in the others. And was ahead of the eventual winner when he went out. Taking a shot there is retarded.

Geoff also conveniently left out Dungey's moto scores from the 3 MXdN performances where he won–and well.

The Shop

PastranaWho
8/25/2015 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 8:50pm
Dungey needs to race the USGP and show em what he got.

Everyone is entitles to their opinion, but for GP lovers it is a disappointing statement from the American champion, and one he can’t back up as he won’t be racing the USGP in September, instead taking a rest to prepare for the Red Bull Straight Line event and the Monster Energy Cup.

TeamGreen
8/25/2015 8:55pm
So...

If an American wins the USGP:..?
500guy
8/25/2015 8:56pm
Dungey needs to race the USGP and show em what he got. [b]Everyone is entitles to their opinion, but for GP lovers it is a disappointing...
Dungey needs to race the USGP and show em what he got.

Dungey needs to do what He wants and not be goaded into anything that will never prove a thing.

So they are upset, Dungey say's GP tracks suck and He's not interested. To freaking bad.
bvm111
8/25/2015 9:11pm
I'm sorry but the majority of GP tracks look like a typical local track here in the states. I want to see the best racers on the best tracks in the world.... If I'm wrong so is Herlings.

Other than a couple of the historic tracks the track that looked the best to me was Argentina.... That was gorgeous, maybe the Italian track for scenery but what other tracks made you think... Wow that is bad ass and look how fast they are going. Now do the same with the majority of American tracks.... The result is much different.

I want to be clear I am talking tracks not riders, they are all fast as shit .... I was cheering for Simpson when he came over, and usually do when any of the GP riders come over, hell MM25 is probably my favorite rider right now!

Titan1
8/25/2015 9:16pm
Of course Geoff is going to say that...he looks for any opportunity to twist something someone said to make the GP's look good and AMA look bad.

He is as predictable as the rising sun.
h&m_cycle
8/25/2015 9:18pm
Good points, 29 rounds plus he probably has to race the drag race because it's Red Bull...

It's a mental beating as much as physical... I would be so sick of signing autographs... Can't believe people are let
down, It's a no win situation anyways, Dungey wins the USGP then it's because of home track advantage or because
the top guns are hurt... If Dungey would lose then he's over rated...

You're not going to settle anything of who's better, in a one race format no matter what side of the pond the race
is held...
TeamGreen
8/25/2015 9:19pm
Titan1 wrote:
Of course Geoff is going to say that...he looks for any opportunity to twist something someone said to make the GP's look good and AMA look...
Of course Geoff is going to say that...he looks for any opportunity to twist something someone said to make the GP's look good and AMA look bad.

He is as predictable as the rising sun.
WWGLD?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/25/2015 10:27pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Your sentence could have been shortened by one word.
kongols
8/25/2015 10:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 10:47pm
Dungey and Jeoff working together to stir shit up before MXdN.
I think DC and GL is in it too.Wink
And Trump in a background giving them pointers.
jeffro503
8/25/2015 10:49pm
jeffro503 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Better?

" His opinion means absolutely nothing "
RG1
8/25/2015 10:55pm
I'm pretty sure that Dungey did not mean for it to come across the way it did, especially his comment about the competition. I have to say for a lot of the GP tracks it's not as easy to pick up on some of the features that make them great. So when you them with the way they've been prepared this season, they can look like shit.
RG1
8/25/2015 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 10:57pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Better?

You could have also gone with:

'Opinion means absolutely nothing here'

And it would've been equally as accurate
jeffro503
8/25/2015 10:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Better?

RG1 wrote:
You could have also gone with:

'Opinion means absolutely nothing here'

And it would've been equally as accurate
True brother , but were referring to Geoff here haha. So I'm sticking with that. Laughing
Olson
8/26/2015 1:56am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 1:58am
Never supported anything Geoff have written, but Dungey didn't exactly take the high road when he said what he said. Of course Luongos chihuahua is going to take the bait.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
8/26/2015 2:01am
Why I agree Dungey should not have to race any race he does not want to and could do with a break after a long season of SX and MX, saying that American riders race / ride more than their GP counterparts is wrong.

The GP riders may only race 18 MXGP events each year, but those events are two day events and include Practice and a 20 minute plus 1 lap qualifying race on Saturday, so just in that they actually have 36 days of racing during their season.

Most riders also contest their national series and sometimes more than one national championship, though most series look as though they are only 4-6 events long, but that is another 4-6 races each year they race.

The big advantage the GP riders have is they are constantly focused on MX and don't have to worry about the change over from SX to MX and the additional testing it would bring.

Riders from both series do a shit ton of riding, but eh at the end of the day that is what they are paid to do and at the end of the day.

Though Dungey is not paid to race the USGP (I bet he would be paid if he did ride though) and I don't think anyone is getting paid to race the MXoN.

PressPassP
8/26/2015 2:15am
SImpson is down for the18 rounds,6 British championship,1MXdN,2 pre season open invitationals and he threw in 1 AMA National,many are not too different,also GP's are a 2 day event

Just an instance for balance,the 18 GPs are their mainstay and across the globe too,those boys rack up some air miles Smile
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
8/26/2015 4:52am
Comparing apples and pears...

GPs are two days, not just one. You don't go from Florida to California. You go from Belgium to quatar to Thailand to Argentina to Italy. Possibly in between back to the HQ in Belgium for some testing.

Ask anstie or someone like coldenhoff how much time off they have
DC
8/26/2015 5:15am
And then there's the whole supercross thing, as in, 17 races on indoor stadium tracks, followed by 12 on outdoor tracks, with completely different surfaces and texture and bike set-up and so on and so forth. At least GP guys get to focus on one style of racing, albeit on very diverse tracks -- some great and some not-so-great... But no matter where you race as a pro, it's hard work and heavy travel. Respect for all guys on both sides of the pond.

All that said, I am going to call Ryan this morning because I truly believe something got misconstrued or he misspoke, He has always had huge respect for the guys in Europe and he's good friends with Tony Cairoli and obviously his bosses include Roger and Pit and until recently (and to a lesser extent) Stefan. He's getting thrashed here by MXGeoff because that's what MXGeoff does anytime he gets a chance -- beat on our guys for attention -- but I am almost certain this was neither what Ryan really meant or felt.

The world is a smaller place, and the things people say can get lost in translation and pick up speed in a hurry on the internet (ask Mr. Roczen). I say we give Ryan the benefit of clarifying what he meant because the context of all this is being boiled down by Geoff and friends to his MXoN results, but only his bad ones, of course.

Stay tuned.

DC
MX Sports
kkawboy14
8/26/2015 5:22am
You have to admit that based on what Ryan said Geoffs stuff is pretty spot on!
DC agrees, otherwise he wouldn't need to "get clarification" from Ryan!
Spartacus
8/26/2015 5:26am
DC wrote:
And then there's the whole supercross thing, as in, 17 races on indoor stadium tracks, followed by 12 on outdoor tracks, with completely different surfaces and...
And then there's the whole supercross thing, as in, 17 races on indoor stadium tracks, followed by 12 on outdoor tracks, with completely different surfaces and texture and bike set-up and so on and so forth. At least GP guys get to focus on one style of racing, albeit on very diverse tracks -- some great and some not-so-great... But no matter where you race as a pro, it's hard work and heavy travel. Respect for all guys on both sides of the pond.

All that said, I am going to call Ryan this morning because I truly believe something got misconstrued or he misspoke, He has always had huge respect for the guys in Europe and he's good friends with Tony Cairoli and obviously his bosses include Roger and Pit and until recently (and to a lesser extent) Stefan. He's getting thrashed here by MXGeoff because that's what MXGeoff does anytime he gets a chance -- beat on our guys for attention -- but I am almost certain this was neither what Ryan really meant or felt.

The world is a smaller place, and the things people say can get lost in translation and pick up speed in a hurry on the internet (ask Mr. Roczen). I say we give Ryan the benefit of clarifying what he meant because the context of all this is being boiled down by Geoff and friends to his MXoN results, but only his bad ones, of course.

Stay tuned.

DC
MX Sports
He must have meant to say, "I cherish women".
DC
8/26/2015 5:34am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 5:35am
No, I wouldn't say Geoff's spot-on, I would say using his MXoN results alone to make a point is unfair and completely out of context. The MXoN is a difficult, one-off race that is particularly hard on U.S.-based riders (Americans, Australians, German, etc.) because it's five weeks after our season ends and it's almost always over in Europe.

But I can understand his disappointment in having anyone disparage the tracks over there, even though, just like here, some tracks were not on the level of others. It's the competition thing that I think was misconstrued or misspoken, and that's what's driving this backlash of Ryan.

As for, "Ask Ryan Villopoto," I think Ryan would tell him Qatar and Thailand and Trentino were not very good tracks, though the race in South America was an amazing track.

DC

IWreckALot
8/26/2015 5:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I'm glad that you don't let that asshole around here. He is the Bruce Jenner of moto, and that's putting it mildly.
jamma10
8/26/2015 5:44am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 5:48am
The line that stood out most for me was;

'it seems to me that both series have great riders and great circuits. It’s impossible to say which is stronger,'

Which is true of course, but it contradicts his usual opinion;

'Of course the premier championship in the world, the MXGP series is in full swing and really producing some awesome racing and over in America they are running their premier series the AMA Supercross.'
http://www.mxlarge.com/2015/04/25/mxlarge-top-ten-riders/

The guy is an embarrassment.
kkawboy14
8/26/2015 5:50am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 5:50am
jamma10 wrote:
The line that stood out most for me was; [i]'it seems to me that both series have great riders and great circuits. It’s impossible to say...
The line that stood out most for me was;

'it seems to me that both series have great riders and great circuits. It’s impossible to say which is stronger,'

Which is true of course, but it contradicts his usual opinion;

'Of course the premier championship in the world, the MXGP series is in full swing and really producing some awesome racing and over in America they are running their premier series the AMA Supercross.'
http://www.mxlarge.com/2015/04/25/mxlarge-top-ten-riders/

The guy is an embarrassment.
Dude your an embarrassment! Your stretching and reaching hard to make this guy look bad? Why?

The fee to have a GP is what 450k and an outdoor 75k?
kkawboy14
8/26/2015 5:54am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 6:07am
DC wrote:
No, I wouldn't say Geoff's spot-on, I would say using his MXoN results alone to make a point is unfair and completely out of context. The...
No, I wouldn't say Geoff's spot-on, I would say using his MXoN results alone to make a point is unfair and completely out of context. The MXoN is a difficult, one-off race that is particularly hard on U.S.-based riders (Americans, Australians, German, etc.) because it's five weeks after our season ends and it's almost always over in Europe.

But I can understand his disappointment in having anyone disparage the tracks over there, even though, just like here, some tracks were not on the level of others. It's the competition thing that I think was misconstrued or misspoken, and that's what's driving this backlash of Ryan.

As for, "Ask Ryan Villopoto," I think Ryan would tell him Qatar and Thailand and Trentino were not very good tracks, though the race in South America was an amazing track.

DC

you have to admit the results for Dungey do say a lot!
If you read Geoffs comments slowly and with an unbiased slant, what he wrote is spot on in response to Ryan's comments!

So why would you get clarification from Ryan?

Post a reply to: geoff taking some shots at dungey

The Latest