from the flag stand

Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 6:46pm
bring out the dead horse i wanna beat it some more.............
you know the one that was all about the safety of our sport.

Ive been flaging at a local track for just about a year now on average twice a week. its been a good experience and i know im but one flaggger at a local track and each person and track is differnt but man i tell you for every " stupid idiot flager" comment from the spectotors or mini parents lol, there is atleast 5 " WTF is that guy thinking" comments from the flagger.

its been a real eye opener and i enjpoy the hell out of it. i encourage everyone who has ever questioned a flager to climb in a flag stand and give it a shot.

|
Tpog496
4/21/2015 1:56pm
Yea I've done it. Real shitty job.
hillbilly
4/21/2015 1:58pm
Your speling is worser than mine.

You may not be helping on the "stupid idiot flagger" crusade

Tpog496
4/21/2015 2:16pm
I think most flaggers and carnies share the same gene pool. No offence though.

The Shop

nytsmaC
4/22/2015 1:45am
hillbilly wrote:

You're
plowboy
4/22/2015 2:59am
hillbilly wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
You're
He is a Hillbilly so it probably should be "Y'all or You all"....depends on what part of the hills he's from.
pummel
Fantasy
370th
4/22/2015 10:20am
95 % of flaggers do an awesome job for little pay or thanks. I've done it and didn't love it. There have been some times where horrible crashes could have been avoided if the flagger had been doing a better job. It used to be common for National and Supercross promoters to bring in some guys from a random trail riding club who had barely been to a motocross race before and have never flagged at a local event.
4/22/2015 11:34am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 11:35am
my main observations

1 50 dads, and moms...... are funny to watch, face palm cause i used to be one.

2 i really appreciate pw50's now. I can still hear myself think when they go past me.

3 body postion, body position, body position. some people could really use a little coaching

4 most riders dont even see the flags unless you jump around and wave it like snake just crawled up your pants.

5 d class riders please dont blame the flagger for messing up what was " going to be" your fastest lap ever or even better i was gonna clear that jump but the flagger wasnt looking.....

6 even if you dont love your children please make sure thier helmets are on right

7 damn this is the best seat in the house.

8 damit i should have rode today instead of flagged

4/22/2015 11:42am
hillbilly wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
You're
In this instance, it is actually *your

Please don't create more problems with this tragic grammar misunderstanding around here.
Rooster
4/22/2015 12:08pm
pummel wrote:
95 % of flaggers do an awesome job for little pay or thanks. I've done it and didn't love it. There have been some times where...
95 % of flaggers do an awesome job for little pay or thanks. I've done it and didn't love it. There have been some times where horrible crashes could have been avoided if the flagger had been doing a better job. It used to be common for National and Supercross promoters to bring in some guys from a random trail riding club who had barely been to a motocross race before and have never flagged at a local event.
I know the crew that handled flagging for our road racing club was invited to Laguna Seca and had their travel expenses and accommodations picked up to help with the flagging at the MotoGP races there years ago.

They were by far and away the most professional and SAFE flagging crew I've ever had the pleasure of racing with. They made our little club look like we actually knew what we were doing and it was great to see them get rewarded for it.

It's too bad that most MX tracks still treat flagging as an afterthought. Done right, it doesn't just increase safety. It makes the entire event look professionally run and reflects well on the track and everybody else involved.
nytsmaC
4/22/2015 3:13pm
hillbilly wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
You're

Please don't create more problems with this tragic grammar misunderstanding around here.
Laughing
hillbilly
4/22/2015 3:21pm
nytsmaC wrote:
You're

nytsmaC wrote:
Laughing
And I was trying to mispell it but got it right,damn,
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
4/22/2015 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 5:31pm
I've flagged the Glen Helen National a few times, and the USGP that was there a couple years ago. The times I did it the people running the flag crew were completely professional and serious as a heart attack. Plus it was made clear that they wanted "Racers" only, not practice riders or Johnny sand dune, just local guys who regularly race. Sometimes it was easy and sometimes it was hard work and stressful, depends what part of the track you get assigned to. You want to keep one eye on what's coming so you don't get run the fuck over, but your main focus is further down the track, so your head's going back and forth like a bobblehead, watch the corner, don't get run over, watch the corner, don't get run over, watch the corner. The sketchiest time I was at the takeoff off the big step up double that went from the main track to the rem side. It was a 100' plus jump and I was standing on a little flat spot carved into the side of the hill about a foot off the side of the track. So my main focus was watching them land from a hundred feet away and seeing if they went down or not. I was stressed out all day because if a guy went down I would have to throw the flag possibly on a guy who is 5th gear pinned committed to this huge fucking gap, if the timing is right I might cause a guy to come up short, so I had to be damn sure a guy was down or not throw it. Some guys came up short and bounced and got out of shape and almost went down but didn't, so you're watching for other flags going up or the guy cartwheeling from 100' away, while guys are launching 2 or 3 feet from you at mach speed. Good times ! I'll do it again but it's something you need to take serious, you're not there to watch the race or check out chicks or anything else but do your best to concentrate to help keep the riders safe. I had to throw the flag once in practice and that was it. Those guys are so talented they either made it, or rolled it. I did get a cool pic of Villo with a throwaway camera my kid tossed me after the race, and some cool T-shirts Laughing .
4/22/2015 6:46pm
I've been racing and around MX for 35 years and have never flagged. But every now and then I think about giving it a try. It seems like it would be a fun day. Long but fun.

Post a reply to: from the flag stand

The Latest