first shoulder dislocation!

mxryder231
10/2/2011 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:31am
i had my shoulder "pop" out today when i came up short on a jump and was in a funny position when it did. i bounced from flat bottoming and felt the pop, then when i landed from the bounce i felt my shoulder pop back into place and felt ok aside from a dead arm feeling. any one know whats the best way to help heal it or anything i should be careful about or any how long it will take to heal?
|
bgpn35
10/2/2011 8:51pm
well your gonna sore!! unless you r having real pain and it doesnt keep popping out i would think u r ok!!!
JW381
10/2/2011 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2011 8:55pm
If you can, see a doc to find out if anything tore. I popped mine out, did physical therapy only to have it pop out again mid whoop section. Did PT again then had it pop out while playing tennis. That's when I knew it was fucked because it was not the arm I hit with. So I got an MRI and turns out my Labrum was torn the whole time and I had to get surgery. Popped it out 3 times total before i finally got it fixed for good. But yeah just take it easy for a bit then ask a doc or a physical therapist for some shoulder specific workouts.
mxryder231
10/2/2011 9:00pm
yeah it feels like right now some one just decked me in the shoulder giving me a dead arm. i have been taking it easy and just not letting it get stiff. i hope its not to bad i know this is a common injury in this sport just never experienced this injury before and was looking for some answers
bgpn35
10/2/2011 9:04pm
yea i just had rotator and labrum surgery a month ago but my shoulder never popped out!! the only thing was my arm was really weak and i new somthing was wrong!! my cousin had his shoulder keep popping out after a crash, but the tihng wrong with his was his socket was broke and it kept on popping out!! im not trying to scare you but a mri would prob be best

The Shop

bgpn35
10/2/2011 9:10pm
btw im going back for a check up tues and i will ask him what he thinks would be best for your situation if you dont go see one before that i will let u know!! i guess i can give you a idea on what to do!!
Premixed
10/2/2011 9:29pm
i have dislocated my left shoulder 3 times. twice racing mx, and once fighting.

it is so bad, it pops out in my sleep. i wake up, put it back in, take an aleve, and lay back down. i am going for surgery before the end of the year.

if you have insurance, or even if you dont, go have surgery.
mxryder231
10/2/2011 9:37pm
Dang this sounds worse then a fracture, let me know what you guys did for recovery and prevention. I do appreciate all your insite on this topic I didnt think it was to major unless they pop out a lot.
10/2/2011 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2011 9:45pm
mxryder231 wrote:
i had my shoulder "pop" out today when i came up short on a jump and was in a funny position when it did. i bounced...
i had my shoulder "pop" out today when i came up short on a jump and was in a funny position when it did. i bounced from flat bottoming and felt the pop, then when i landed from the bounce i felt my shoulder pop back into place and felt ok aside from a dead arm feeling. any one know whats the best way to help heal it or anything i should be careful about or any how long it will take to heal?
Your shoulder most likely didn't fully dislocate, it probably subluxed. A shoulder subluxation is a temporary, partial dislocation of the shoulder joint. I used to have shoulder subluxations and never had it looked at then the subluxations graduated to full dislocations. I would go to the ortho and get an mri just to be on the safe side. I've tore both labrums left and right. I had surgery on the left one and have dislocated it 9 times since surgery and haven't had surgery on the right one and have no issues. The best thing you can do is strengthen the rotator cuff with a lot of PT exercises. I have naturally loose joints, I've dislocated both shoulders and my right elbow and have a lot of laxity in my joints. Therapy imo has been better than surgery because it's a more natural approach to fixing the problem typically when you go under the knife you lose a fair amount of range of motion. I would start with going to the ortho, get a mri, and if there is no muscles torn I would try therapy, in your case since this is your first occurrence I bet it would help a lot.
mxryder231
10/2/2011 9:42pm
If you say you did not need surgery what would to doc tell you to do during recovery?
Premixed
10/2/2011 10:02pm
land o lakes/ wild, I grew up in Lutz.

one thing to remember is that it never gets better without proper treatment, it only gets worse. its not just going to "heal" is there is actually something torn.
10/2/2011 10:18pm
mxryder231 wrote:
If you say you did not need surgery what would to doc tell you to do during recovery?
The ortho left it up to me for surgery typically if you have a torn labrum and can stabilize the shoulder you don't have to get surgery. He gave me 6 weeks of physical therapy and then after that I just kept doing the exercises at home.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
1009th
10/3/2011 4:47am
Premixed wrote:
i have dislocated my left shoulder 3 times. twice racing mx, and once fighting. it is so bad, it pops out in my sleep. i wake...
i have dislocated my left shoulder 3 times. twice racing mx, and once fighting.

it is so bad, it pops out in my sleep. i wake up, put it back in, take an aleve, and lay back down. i am going for surgery before the end of the year.

if you have insurance, or even if you dont, go have surgery.
we need to hear the fighting story...
Premixed
10/3/2011 5:11am
i'm sitting in a bar here in japan.

2 japanese disgruntled construction workers are shitfaced, sitting behind me. start muttering anti-american rhetoric, which is usual. its japanese nature to tear down anything that isnt japanese.

so i turned to him and gave him the single biggest insult you can give a middle aged japanese man. "you are no samurai." (in japanese) "omae ga samuraii ja nai da yo" immediately they both jumped up and came flying, and i was ready for it.

i dont care how many movies you have seen, it is very difficult to fight two people at the same time, especially in a japanese karaoke bar, which is about 18 feet by 16 feet tops. but, i am like a rhinocerous in a china shop. i picked the bigger of the 2 right off the pop and hit him square on that piece of skin below your nose, above your lip. pretty sure i split it, he went down bleeding like a stuck pig.

a few blows were exchanged, i definately dished out more than i took, but i took a couple decent shots.

the smaller one comes up from a side angle and throws this swat faggot punch like edward norton in fight club, the parking lot fight, and hits me in the ear good. it throws off my equilibrium and gave me just a mild mild hint of cauliflower ear, later on. i almost slip and fall, and throw and off balance left jab. i missed. i felt/heard a loud POP. i had literally thrown my left arm right out of socket.

apparently the bar bitch had called the cops as soon as it started, and they were a whopping 300 yards away in a "police box" (koban)

this is where i got lucky. when the cops opened up the door to the bar, the guy with the split lip jumped up in a semi-concious stuper and wailed on one of the cops. the cops spent all their time subduing this dude. i walked outside. basically, they told me to not come back to this bar, which was fine by me, the beer was skunked anyway.

shoulder still out of joint, and in excrutiating pain, i hailed a cab and went home, about 10 minutes. i walked in and logged on to webmd with my good hand. i found that by clasping my hands together and holding them on my knee, then pushing forward with my knee, it would go back in socket. i then self-medicated with 4 aleve, and passed out. i have a pretty good pain tolerance after 5 years in the marine corps. i got out years ago though.

but it worked. later that night, in a sleepy stuper, i put my hands behind my head in that "relax" position, and it fell back out of socket. i repeated the process. it hasnt popped out again, but its loose. i go to orthapedics soon but im going on vacation to shang hai and waiting until i get back.
10/3/2011 5:57am
A+ great story premixed, made my morning.

To mxryder, go see an ortho and get a script for physical therapy, in my experience with shoulders (10+ dislocations on left, ending in two surgeries; 2 dislocations and a rotor cuff tear on the right, which I am currently nursing) the surgeons don't really know when to operate and when to at least attempt to strengthen it. Go see the best PT in your area and ask him for his advice. 3 years after my left shoulder surgeries, my shoulder is still no where near 100% and I've spent more time rehabbing it than 99% of patients. I have opted not to cut (at this point) in my right shoulder and so far, it seems like the right decision.

The key is strengthening. 3 days a week you must do rotor cuff, scapular, delt and trap training, dont get lazy.

Post a reply to: first shoulder dislocation!

The Latest