electrical question relating to sparks??

pdee4t
Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 6:02am
so i replaced my crank breather hose today(that connects into the carby intake funnel), as the other 1 was worn/melted.
i went to put the little hose clamp onto the hose using pliers(the clamps that you squeeze to open)....then went to connect the breather hose w/ new clamp into the carb intake funnel.....so the pliers slipped off and subsequently touched the body of the carby briefly, and all of a sudden there were a couple light sparks. which i thought was really strange.

the other strange thing is that apart from 1 wire that runs to the rear of the bike for the brake light(runs along the frame above the carby to the rear of the bike through the airbox), apart from that, there wasn't any electrical's near there. the wire was well away from where i was connecting the hose.

no idea what caused the spark, it was only very brief. i tried to see if it would happen again and it hasn't sparked since that.

any ideas what could've caused it? im thinking a shorted wire but then again, if it was a shorted wire somewhere(perhaps the 1 that runs along the frame), wouldn't there be sparks where the actual short in the wire is touching the frame?
ive also checked the fuses and none of them are blown. all lights and electrical's are working also.
id like to try and figure out and get to the bottom of it as to why it sparked....very strange.

bike is a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model.
this is an urgent question. im not very good with the electrical side of things.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/18/2014 9:28am
This should go in the Race Shop Forum.

I'm not great with electricity either, but a spark means that there was ungrounded potential that found a ground. It could have been from your bike, or it could have been from your body and gone through the pliers to ground at the battery.

As long as your fuses are all good and the bike runs, you are 90% there. The only thing left to do is check for loose wires or corrosion at the battery terminals. If you have none of those problems, I'd say there's probably nothing to worry about.

Maybe a better mechanic than I can answer...
pdee4t
7/18/2014 9:32am
Falcon wrote:
This should go in the Race Shop Forum. I'm not great with electricity either, but a spark means that there was ungrounded potential that found a...
This should go in the Race Shop Forum.

I'm not great with electricity either, but a spark means that there was ungrounded potential that found a ground. It could have been from your bike, or it could have been from your body and gone through the pliers to ground at the battery.

As long as your fuses are all good and the bike runs, you are 90% there. The only thing left to do is check for loose wires or corrosion at the battery terminals. If you have none of those problems, I'd say there's probably nothing to worry about.

Maybe a better mechanic than I can answer...
it sparked at the carby where the pliers touched the body of it.

no corrosion at battery terminals(battery is fairly new) and from what i can tell, no wires are loose and none are exposed thus far.
i'll have a better look tomorrow though.
hillbilly
7/18/2014 2:59pm
Sounds like static electricity to me.

Going from you to the bike.

Was it on a metal stand?

Is the air dry where you live,low humidity?
pdee4t
7/18/2014 9:26pm
hillbilly wrote:

Was it on a metal stand?

its very cold at the moment where i am.
it was not on a metal stand either.

The Shop

JonnyDH84
7/18/2014 11:55pm
hillbilly wrote:

Was it on a metal stand?

Im a electrical engineer by trade and although I know little about moto electrics id say it was as above static electricity. If it cannot be repeated it will just have discharged through your pliers.
resetjet
7/19/2014 6:02am
Probably static. Is it also real dry where you are....Cold and Dry = lots of static.

However, I believe your ktm uses the frame as the ground. It is also possible, however unlikely that you have a short. In either case, I wouldn't worry about it if you cannot repeat.

Post a reply to: electrical question relating to sparks??

The Latest