dream of becoming the First paraplegic woman motocross rider

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 4:45am
I came across this when following a bulk photo posting from her of Murphy's MX of this last Sunday. I knew of a family that had a daughter paralyzed from a Motocross accident, but haven't met her. When I followed the link to her facebook Haley Shay I found out about her quest to ride again and saw that this girl has the same passion as most of us. I thought it would be a good place for her to get more exposure. I hope this doesn't cross the line but I thought the Vital community would embrace her dream along with her.

http://www.gofundme.com/xk8gtnk

https://www.facebook.com/kawasaki67

https://www.facebook.com/kawasaki67/media_set?set=a.1144386418910250.10…
|
Johnny Depp
7/23/2015 6:21am
Here's one of the photos she took of me. I was testing a home made contraption 360 degree go pro mount. Go ahead and laugh. Laughing She took some good photos, 169 of them on the link above. I subject myself to public ridicule to try to get her some exposure.

mbw416
7/23/2015 10:19am
Awesome!! Best of luck!
mx836
7/23/2015 10:37am
Looks like a cool chick. The amount of riders suffering from paralysis is staggering. I probably know of 10+ personally from my 26 years of riding and racing. Guess that's the risk we all take. Some things could be done to help prevent it, but a lot of the time, it's just a freak accident.

The Shop

Suns_PSD
7/23/2015 12:06pm
Pretty sure I saw this cutie at CR about 3 years ago with her whole riding family.

Best of luck too her.
Kampy
7/24/2015 2:48am
Hey if Doug Henry can do it, so can Hayle...

11/4/2015 8:08am
I just stumbled across this!

And I just wanted to let you all know that I finally got my bike and took my first ride Oct. 29th!

I'm hoping to hit up murphy's soon if the weather will behave and actually cruise around the track a little!

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!!!
TeamGreen
11/4/2015 8:18am
I just stumbled across this! And I just wanted to let you all know that I finally got my bike and took my first ride Oct...

And I just wanted to let you all know that I finally got my bike and took my first ride Oct. 29th!

I'm hoping to hit up murphy's soon if the weather will behave and actually cruise around the track a little!

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!!!
What bike did you get? (Yr/Model-Size/Brand)
Erik727
11/4/2015 9:16am
I had the pleasure of meeting this young lady and and her dad a few years back after her accident..Very cool and down to earth folks...I was doing alot of work for The Riderdown Foundation at the time....She had a great support system and her dad was behind her in her dreams...
Wow Hayle ,,,that is just awesome!!!!!,,my wife showed me the vid from your facebook of you riding...

Keep the dream alive girl !!!!!

In the big picture ,,we all could learn a thing or two from this this young lady..

Erik
tomm55x
11/4/2015 9:24am
I just stumbled across this! And I just wanted to let you all know that I finally got my bike and took my first ride Oct...

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!!!
This is awesome news, your perseverance is amazing!! I'm sure you're whole family is very proud of you, keep on doing what you're doing!!!
Johnny Depp
11/4/2015 9:28am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 9:29am

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!!!
I had heard out at Thursday night practice at ADV that you had ridden again! You were certainly being discussed that night around our pits. Jerry Farmer and the Blue Crew were there, Craig and Danny.

I finally put it together that Mark Brown is your dad, he and I have met and swapped each other's bikes once out at Murphy's but I never met you. I know Joey Hardin too. I guess that is your gang from Temple?

I look forward to meeting you in person and seeing you ride, Keep us posted where you are riding and I'll be glad to play photographer and get some photos up. I am planning to do the Old School reunion ride at Rio Bravo 11/15 and would bet that Mark and Joey would like to come out for that Vet event since it is big fun and a more laid back event.

Congratulations on the new bike and riding again! Post up some photos if you've got 'em.
11/4/2015 7:05pm
Here's a little go pro footage from my dad during my first little cruise
https://www.facebook.com/kawasaki67/videos/1205336016148623/

Yes that would be my dad "Mark Brown" the Temple Terror lol!
We go ride somewhere every Sunday. I will definitely mention the Rio Bravo race to them, there's a few people down south I've been meaning to see as well.

I bought a 2012 KTM SXF350 from a paralyzed guy in Wisconsin who had Doug Henry help him build it and had the pleasure of meeting Doug Henry himself at the Adaptive Race at Oakhill last month. It was very cool to meet all these guys with "disabilities" still throwing some roost.

11/4/2015 7:18pm
mx836 wrote:
Looks like a cool chick. The amount of riders suffering from paralysis is staggering. I probably know of 10+ personally from my 26 years of riding...
Looks like a cool chick. The amount of riders suffering from paralysis is staggering. I probably know of 10+ personally from my 26 years of riding and racing. Guess that's the risk we all take. Some things could be done to help prevent it, but a lot of the time, it's just a freak accident.
So many paralyzed riders. It's so disheartening.
TeamGreen
11/4/2015 7:29pm
I see so much positive in this thread. The only "dis-heartening" thing I see is our inability to realize...
THIS is what we do.
IT is Dangerous & that's a big part of WHY we do it.

Anyone that's had an injury that's tried to keep them out of the saddle; yet, they come back and say, "Oh, Hell NO! I'm not done!" Anyone that can pull it all together and adapt to their new life requirements AND get back on the bike?

I'm with them.

I've seen more comraderie and more "pure sport" in Adaptive Moto-X than I can explain.
Johnny Depp
11/4/2015 9:21pm
Thanks for the update and video's. That tip over with the dog was a learning moment. You will have to keep your speed up since you need help stopping, and avoid other moving objects... Now you have that behind you.

Congratulations and hope to see you soon. JD
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
11/4/2015 9:25pm
Freakin awesome. Hope you make it to RB. I plan to be there along with Team Cramp. (Don't ask. We'll show ya.).
11/5/2015 4:45am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 5:02am
TeamGreen wrote:
I see so much positive in this thread. The only "dis-heartening" thing I see is our inability to realize... THIS is what we do. IT is...
I see so much positive in this thread. The only "dis-heartening" thing I see is our inability to realize...
THIS is what we do.
IT is Dangerous & that's a big part of WHY we do it.

Anyone that's had an injury that's tried to keep them out of the saddle; yet, they come back and say, "Oh, Hell NO! I'm not done!" Anyone that can pull it all together and adapt to their new life requirements AND get back on the bike?

I'm with them.

I've seen more comraderie and more "pure sport" in Adaptive Moto-X than I can explain.

Post a reply to: dream of becoming the First paraplegic woman motocross rider

The Latest