dr.d or fmf? 2015 yz450f

Sipes #412
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 1:41pm
I just wanted some opinions on both. I'm about to buy a new system here in a couple months.
|
MMCDan
5/17/2016 7:24pm
One of the things I did not like about the DRD on the YZF was the shape of the silencer. It's the same diameter front to back and blocks access to the rear fender bolts on the right side, forcing you to remove the silencer when you replace the fender.

The FMF (and PC and Yosh) are all tapered in that area so you have room to get a hand/wrench in there.
Sipes #412
5/17/2016 7:44pm
MMCDan wrote:
One of the things I did not like about the DRD on the YZF was the shape of the silencer. It's the same diameter front to...
One of the things I did not like about the DRD on the YZF was the shape of the silencer. It's the same diameter front to back and blocks access to the rear fender bolts on the right side, forcing you to remove the silencer when you replace the fender.

The FMF (and PC and Yosh) are all tapered in that area so you have room to get a hand/wrench in there.
What about performance wise which one did you think performed the best? I'm trying to get rid of the jerky response. I want a smoother more manageable powerband.
wm741
5/17/2016 7:46pm
I know that this wasn't one of the ones you asked about, but I really dig my Bills pipe I've got on mine. It smoothed the power out and makes it pull for what feels like days. It's held up really, really good as well.
Sipes #412
5/19/2016 5:56pm
wm741 wrote:
I know that this wasn't one of the ones you asked about, but I really dig my Bills pipe I've got on mine. It smoothed the...
I know that this wasn't one of the ones you asked about, but I really dig my Bills pipe I've got on mine. It smoothed the power out and makes it pull for what feels like days. It's held up really, really good as well.
I might consider the bills pipe

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/19/2016 6:02pm
Definitely the fmf. My 14 was a fire breather before but after the mega bomb and 4.1 it's a monster!
motomike137
5/19/2016 6:06pm
Sipes #412 wrote:
What about performance wise which one did you think performed the best? I'm trying to get rid of the jerky response. I want a smoother more...
What about performance wise which one did you think performed the best? I'm trying to get rid of the jerky response. I want a smoother more manageable powerband.
You might want to consider the Injectioneering throttle body mod before a pipe if you want to calm it down at throttle roll on.
Sipes #412
5/19/2016 9:45pm
Sipes #412 wrote:
What about performance wise which one did you think performed the best? I'm trying to get rid of the jerky response. I want a smoother more...
You might want to consider the Injectioneering throttle body mod before a pipe if you want to calm it down at throttle roll on.
Never thought about that. I looked him up and there were some sketchy reviews on the guy that does it.
motomike137
5/20/2016 4:18am
Sipes #412 wrote:
Never thought about that. I looked him up and there were some sketchy reviews on the guy that does it.
Yeah it looks like a 50/50 proposition whether you will have issues dealing with the guy!
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
5/20/2016 4:47am
I have been using the dr.d stainless on my '14 for a couple years.. the only issues i have had is the welds popped off of the mesh screen inside the muffler, i just safety wired it when i did a re-pack, no issues after. The second is where the head pipe meets the muffler on the right of the head, they separate / rattle real bad when revving the bike, so much that i thought there was something wrong with my bike. I added high-temp RTV and it kind of fixed the problem still a little noise.

Performance wise I can only compare it to the stock pipe, Dr.D it weighs a little less, and took the low end hit out of the bike and revs a little higher. it is more quiet than the stock as well. Has a built in spark arrestor that can not be removed.

would i buy again? if i came across the same deal than yea. I paid $300 for it used only 1 time. The stock exhaust is pretty damn hard to beat performance wise, after market pipes just seem to give more top end than the stock.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/20/2016 7:46am
Sounds like your best option would be to buy the gytr tuner and find a map that you like that would mellow out the hit on the bottom and mellow out the power. A pipe seems to be going the wrong way.
Sipes #412
5/20/2016 11:42am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Sounds like your best option would be to buy the gytr tuner and find a map that you like that would mellow out the hit on...
Sounds like your best option would be to buy the gytr tuner and find a map that you like that would mellow out the hit on the bottom and mellow out the power. A pipe seems to be going the wrong way.
I like the hit but it's like a light switch. I am going to play with my tuner a little bit more haven't really got the time to use it. I've just read magazine reviews on exhaust and was curious to hear some more thoughts on the fmf and dr.d. I'm running the smooth/ slippery condition map off the yamaha website that's the only one I've ran so far but I will be trying more this weekend.
5/20/2016 12:31pm
Sipes #412 wrote:
The pipe looks cooler though. Isn't it all that matters on here?
mx37
5/20/2016 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 1:21pm
I'm interested in a new exhaust on my 15 as well. I seem to have different situation than most. I run the stock 48 rear sprocket. Yet I still want more top end. Mine seems to level off after awhile.I dont know if an exhaust will achieve that or not?
bdlcks
5/20/2016 1:41pm
without a doubt FMF

Post a reply to: dr.d or fmf? 2015 yz450f

The Latest