does your confidence change year to year?

dirtnapper
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 3:21pm
I really find that mine does. Depends on seat time ( which has been absolutely dismal for me this summer ) and obviously other factors play a part ( injuries, competition, track conditions...)

Two summers ago my confidence was quite high. I was the fastest or second fastest of our group at any ride. I raced a bit and had a blast doing it. I trusted my bike every ride, I don't think I had one hard crash all summer.

Last summer was good. We rode a lot, and again, I was quite confident in my bike and it showed in my riding. Didn’t feel as fast or as fit as the previous summer though.

This year has been brutal. I only have maybe 5 or 6 hours of seat time ( I know I know Blush ) but I just don't HAVE it. I don't feel fast, I don't feel confident. I'll go to a track, try to put a few good fast laps together, get frustrated and say "well, I'm just riding around today...." and then cruise for the rest of the ride. Still fun and I'm pumped to be on my bike, but I feel like a beginner.

Anyone else know the feeling??
|
BWRAAP
9/5/2015 1:32am
Your whole storyline sounds familiar. About the same over here.. i have been blaming the bike and stuff, but the best thing you can do is put your head down, and make those hours. I feel the confidence is growing back, but it goes very slow..
Try to pick up behind faster riders, or pick one berm all afternoon and try to hit it like you know you should.. and believe you can do that..
In the end: if you think you suck, you will Wink
49weasel
9/5/2015 5:22am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 5:22am
Yes. In 2014 I won quite a bit and qualified for LL's easily. This year is rather different. We bought our first home this year and that ate up my spring and most of summer. At the end of July I ridden maybe 6 times all year. At the beginning of August I raced my first race this year and struggled staying ahead of guys that I was beating by 15-20 seconds last year in a moto. I blamed most of this on my new bike purchase. I raced last weekend and flat out got smoked.
Time on a bike fixes a lot of things. I have been more stressed this year and I contribute that to not riding every weekend. I'm fatter, my hands were extremely soft like a woman's until a few weeks ago, I feel less manly not being banged up walking into business meetings, and most importantly I feel slow on the track.
I'm starting my 2016 training right now. Since August first I've been riding every weekend and sometimes through the week.

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/5/2015 9:43am
For me its the bike. I am picky about my bars. After a decent fall i usually put on new bars. People think i am crazy until i give them some un bent bars
TeamGreen
9/5/2015 9:54am
I'm 52. I enjoy 6-15 ride days a month. Some MX, some Baja and some Trail-Hunting/Trail working.

Would you believe it's the combination of track and trail-hunting that's turned me into the most "capable" rider I've ever been? Yes, @ 52.

My track days range from all the tracks at Pala to Thursday's at Glen Helen and the ocassional REM or OTHG/OTMX race and fun stuff like A Day in The Dirt. Some of this track time is used for testing with people from whom I've learned a great deal about things like "recovery", rest and cross-training.

Off-Road/Baja is where I find that ALL my skill gets put to the test, tho.
"Hey, Manny? See if that trail will get us down in to that Canyon."
Sure, you almost always walk it 1st; but, you end up doing a Colton Haaker impression most of the time (j/k, Colton's such a Bad Ass!). Getting in and out of Canyons, on and off the beach, up on a Mesa...
Most of which is exploring for the next Rip to Cabo/Rip to the Tip...which is ALWAYS an Adventure!

These are the things that'be made me better, today, than when I was racing as a kid.
9/5/2015 9:59am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Mine changes track to track
Beat me to it.

The only place i always have a ton of confidence is the start. I always get great starts. But then I just go backwards the whole moto as my arms feel like rubber after that first or second lap. SadBlink
Ing
9/5/2015 11:25am
I'm quite confident. I get slower everyday.
cwtoyota
9/5/2015 12:19pm
Fitness is confidence.
This year I'm in great shape and I'm riding with a lot of confidence.

The previous two years I've been building my home and didn't have the time or space to spend on being physically strong. I knew I didn't have the physical strength to recover from a mistake so I didn't have confidence to push as hard in a race.
9/5/2015 9:03pm
Very true. Confidence Is knowing the guys around you aren't as fit. Equally debilitating is knowing you're nowhere close to being as fit as the guys around you.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
9/5/2015 9:32pm
Some years I just struggle . Caused by injuries the prior year or just don't always think the risk is greater than the reward. When the confidence is good I am much faster. It just not quite there this year,
Motofinne
9/6/2015 5:30am
Very true. Confidence Is knowing the guys around you aren't as fit. Equally debilitating is knowing you're nowhere close to being as fit as the guys...
Very true. Confidence Is knowing the guys around you aren't as fit. Equally debilitating is knowing you're nowhere close to being as fit as the guys around you.
Couldn't agree with this more. I had a 4 year break from when i was 16 to 20 years old and when i got back on the bike about 1 year ago i was really unfit. I got up to speed surprisingly fast but i can't ride a 450 on my limits yet.

I'm 23rd in the Finnish B-class and there is one race left(i'm missing the last one) but i can guarantee that i will work out in the winter and get my fitness where it should be. And i will be way better next year when i have better fitness and i'm able to put in a solid 20 min +2 laps without getting tired after 12-14 minutes.

Confidence=fitness, at least on amateur level.

OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/6/2015 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 7:59am
I am confident that every year the people get faster and the tracks get harder . I swear every big race I have been to it's been the same story I hear . This is the worst weather ever . This is the gnarliest this track has ever been . I can't wait till next year should be smooth sailing finally
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/6/2015 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 10:50pm
So today I am on the gate at washougal and the track worker was talking to the guy next to me . Mind you it's raining and I can't see to the first turn becuse my google are already jacked . And the track worker says in the past if the track was even a 1/3rd as bad as it is right now they would cancel . O now that is confidence espiering. My main goal at that point was just stay up . I did stay up. Slow and steady . I Cant ️thank Dunlop since I really did not hook up even the slitest bit . And I can't thank my google sponsor since I really only got to wear them till the first turn . I would like to thank the man above for giving me 2 eyes becuse I had so much mud in one of them I could not see out of it .
9/7/2015 2:54am
It can be a day to day thing for me, I'm 39 so if my confidence is low I accept it,it took nearly 30 years of 2 wheels activity to accept this.

I used to think it was conditions or tracks but I've realised I can go fast anywhere I ride (limitations obviously) in any weather if I'm feeling good, daft as it sounds I usually ride better when completely stressed out about life away from a bike. I know sports psychologists would have a field day but it's true, when everything's going well I tend to find I have more mediocre efforts and lower confidence, subconscious decisions? Who knows.

I'm fitter than I've ever been as well which is odd due to my age, I can easily ride 100 miles on the road alone and 40-50 km on XC rides in shitty conditions so I can't put it down to fitness, although it does help my head knowing I can make it thru the day.
jeffro503
9/7/2015 11:37am
Mine changes week to week. It also depends on where I ride. There are certain riders I struggle to ride with on my off days. And then on my " On days " , feeling good I can usually yard them. I think this may apply to a lot of you guys here , but I find myself being a complete head case at times. It's taken me my entire life to figure this out , but on my " off days " , I make myself slow down. I used to push it to hard on those days , and they would usually end bad. And then on my " On days "...I still have to watch myself because I'll push past my limits.

It's all in the mind ( and of course your fitness plays a huge role ). " Just gotta pick your spots kid ".
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/7/2015 11:48am
I normaly will know by the 2 nd lap what kinda of day it will be 1 st lap on any track I kinda roll everything . I have had days were the 1 st Moto I ride great hit all the jumps even the ones I don't want to. Then come the 2 nd Moto my brain says umm not today. And I end up not jumping things I know I can clearly jump . It also depends if I am in a good battle Or if I am kinda by myself
cwtoyota
9/7/2015 12:50pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
I am confident that every year the people get faster and the tracks get harder . I swear every big race I have been to it's...
I am confident that every year the people get faster and the tracks get harder . I swear every big race I have been to it's been the same story I hear . This is the worst weather ever . This is the gnarliest this track has ever been . I can't wait till next year should be smooth sailing finally
I really do think the average skill level in the sport is going up and the stock bikes are improving as well as suspension and tires.

Maybe corner speed isn't going up as much as the other skills like scrubbing. I hear people talk about corner speed all the time, but most people bitch and complain about the dry corner, or the ruts, or the weather, etc.

I think some tracks are becoming more technical in a man-made obstacle sense, but less challenging in a rough and slick sense.

So we seem to be riding faster and more forgiving bikes on smoother prepped and watered tracks at higher speeds with higher jumps... For only 5 laps.

By the way, I skipped Top Gun this year and I don't envy you for riding that track in the rain. I hope you can keep it on two wheels and survive that skating rink.

OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/7/2015 1:51pm
You did not miss a thing at top gun. Sat was good sun lmao that was a joke I didn't even stay for today . Next up the Vet Nats !
sandman768
9/7/2015 1:56pm
so many different elements to "confidence" in MX. I"m 48 yrs old, I enjoy the physical aspect of riding & racing, I also enjoy trainning: road & mtn biking, cross country skiing, swimming ect. I would not even consider riding/ racing MX without a solid base of strength & cardio trainning, The only time Iʻm not crosstrainning I"m either hurt or taking a scheduled rest/ recovery day. most of my confidence comes from that mindset. Then there"s the mechanical aspect: the bike: I have to have confidence in my bike, is it mechanically sound? Setup decent ect. In order to set a bike up you need seat time! When I feel my bike setup is close then I gain confidence knowing my bike is dialed. to me these 2 area"s physical fitness & bike setup can bolster confidence. the hardest part for me has always been the psychological aspect. You have to believe you will ride to your ability, whatever that is, pro, A, B, whatever. the only way I can believe in myself is to train & practice on your weaknesses. But it never fails, some guy will show up on a clapped out, borrowed beater, blow past you & then pull off and lite a cigarette while saying he has not ridden in two years. Not much you can do about the gift of talent!
cwtoyota
9/7/2015 2:08pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
You did not miss a thing at top gun. Sat was good sun lmao that was a joke I didn't even stay for today . Next...
You did not miss a thing at top gun. Sat was good sun lmao that was a joke I didn't even stay for today . Next up the Vet Nats !
Are you talking about Glen Helen, or some other race?
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/7/2015 2:31pm
I have never been to Glen Helen so it should be fun .
cwtoyota
9/7/2015 2:38pm
I've never been to that event, but want to go pretty bad.
The track is everything you think it will be... Fast, rough, off cambers and fun!

If you stay down there for a couple of days, head up the highway to Racetown 395 and Competitive Edge. Both of them are close to GH and have multiple tracks. If you really want a treat, make the drive south and check out Cahuilla Creek!

Speaking of confidence, I have confidence to do well on my two strokes, but I'm still learning this four stroke YZ. I just pulled off of my track as I have been playing with sag & fork height settings for the past few hours. This is a really sensitive chassis! 1mm is a massive change. I need to feel confident on it before I race, haha!

OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/7/2015 2:54pm
I will try and check those tracks out . It's my goal to at least raced at every major track at least once . This year has just kinda been flat for me I am riding ok and everything but even when I am sitting on the gate I just kinda feel flat not really sure what it is . I got new sponsors so I am hopeing that will kinda liven me up again I have about 2 months to really kick myself in the ass . I would like to know even if I come in last that I gave it everything I had .

Post a reply to: does your confidence change year to year?

The Latest