dirt bike carrier with car

iamdustin
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:17pm

would one of these work with a car or would it be to low to the ground? thanks Dustin
|
slowvet
4/3/2011 8:02am
I bet those shoes are just awful to walk around in.
twister
4/3/2011 8:11am
Any one of those 3 would work great in a car.Wink
UAW_member
4/3/2011 8:35am
twister wrote:
Any one of those 3 would work great in a car.Wink
If it's a four door and you open one door for head room. Remember, if you open the wrong door, you will lose all of your traction son.

The Shop

bajamx85
4/3/2011 8:00pm
I am really interested in this too... although someone mentioned a weight ratio... Hope someone comes up with something for small cars
4/3/2011 8:03pm
I use one on my van and there have been a few times I've scraped the bottom leaving the driveway, but otherwise it's good.
DBerg
4/3/2011 8:07pm
Just use caution when pulling into or out of any entrance/exit ways that are at an incline. I drug mine a little once pulling out of a place where the entrance was a pretty steep hil and I drive an XTerra, but it didn't hurt anything. I've seen a guy with a slightly lowered Tahoe that had one and he didn't have too many problems with it either. As long as you have a receiver hitch that can carry the load (which shouldn't be too much of an issue since dirtbikes are pretty light) and you be careful on steep hills, you should be fine.
Outsider
4/3/2011 8:10pm
slowvet wrote:
I bet those shoes are just awful to walk around in.
Meh, they aren't too bad... pretty rough to kick over the 450 after a wash though... oh wait Blush
tgod288
Fantasy
2246th
4/3/2011 8:17pm
I have one on my 08 Civic to carry my Ruckus. Drags in places and the hitch mount seems like it needs to be beefier.
fcr
4/3/2011 9:05pm
I have a Joe Hauler, thing is HEAVY but bullet proof. Used it when I needed extra room for gear to go to Baja with my truck. One problem I had was people not seeing it and backing into it or trying to back out from a parking space next to me and cutting into it. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a car but the suspension is going to sag big time. Look at one of the lift types. They are less weight and less bulky.
OldTiddler
4/4/2011 7:41pm
i have one of these; I can plug it in to the wife's Honda when I want to save gas. Works great (at least with a 193lb. 125).
4/5/2011 5:01am
The MX hauler type definitely lifts the bike itself higher. I carry my bikes on a kia sorento sometimes. If you worry about the tires hitting on that, you could just winch them up alittle with tie downs through the wheel. Front is almost always lower than rear.
cmx152
4/5/2011 5:44am
jamma10 wrote:
We have Dave Cooper Bike Racks here in the UK that fit average size cars.
2nd that, lots of people use them over here, then you can keep more stuff in the bed of the truck and its easier to get the bike on
hollifield
4/5/2011 6:34am
iamdustin wrote:
[img]http://www.rampconnection.com/dirt-bike-hitch-carrier-6.jpg[/img] would one of these work with a car or would it be to low to the ground? thanks Dustin

would one of these work with a car or would it be to low to the ground? thanks Dustin
I had the one on the right. She didn't work in the car, actually refused to.
Ryno784
4/5/2011 8:26am
This model (no pun intended) should work fine because the tires don't fall through the ramp. I use one like that now on a Suburban, I'm looking at another one that I may carry here in the shop that allows the wheels to kind of fall into place through the ramp. I wouldn't use that model on a car however for fear the tires would hit coming into a driveway or similar. My 2 cents, I'm totally sold on the haulers though and getting a double hauler next.
4/5/2011 9:49am
I would make sure you double check what the recommended tongue weight of the hitch is. I'm putting a hitch on my honda civic to tow a small three rail trailer and they recommend no more than 200lbs of tongue weight.
peelout
4/5/2011 9:57am
the blonde on the right would work in the back seat of my F150
Nutty C
4/5/2011 10:16am
Full size car with a frame they will work. Built one and had it on a 85 monte carlo with no problems. Compact forget it. Get a small trailer. It is only a matter of time before the cops start clamping down on bumper carriers of all kinds.
lumpy790
4/5/2011 12:28pm
I have used a jackrack an a Silverado & a Tahoe. It works great but the weight on the back hitch makes the front end feel very light.

No way I would consider one for a small car. I picked up a $300 Tractor Supple trailer for short runs with the Accord.

WhiteTaco
4/5/2011 12:45pm
I wouldn't recommend it. Most carriers require a class III hitch and most midsized cars like accords only have classII hitches available. I have a moto jack rack that I once used on a full size truck because it had a shell on it. I have a 4runner now and using the jack rack makes it handle and ride squirrely. There is a lot of leverage increasing the tongue weight by having the load so far from the hitch. My. 02.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
4/5/2011 1:33pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I have used a jackrack an a Silverado & a Tahoe. It works great but the weight on the back hitch makes the front end feel...
I have used a jackrack an a Silverado & a Tahoe. It works great but the weight on the back hitch makes the front end feel very light.

No way I would consider one for a small car. I picked up a $300 Tractor Supple trailer for short runs with the Accord.

No way will you get away with a hitch carrier on a unibody, small car frame....just asking for trouble there. Get a small light trailer like Lumpy said....heck they even make and sell a fold up version if space is an issue.

p.s. Mow that grass Lumpy....or get a few goats....
mx836
4/5/2011 3:35pm
That video is AWESOME!!
DrSweden
4/5/2011 4:48pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
No way will you get away with a hitch carrier on a unibody, small car frame....just asking for trouble there. Get a small light trailer like...
No way will you get away with a hitch carrier on a unibody, small car frame....just asking for trouble there. Get a small light trailer like Lumpy said....heck they even make and sell a fold up version if space is an issue.

I have been doing that for almost a decade now, so have all my friends. We have been traveling all over and newer any issues what so ever. In Europe not many people use pick ups so if you go to a track you will see almost 50% (?) of people use midsize cars and carriers as the car culture in Europe differ from the US. I have small car, like VW Fox, and newer any issues.

One thing that helps is to tie the bike to the rails, those take a lot of the weight and when extra pressure appears as in bumps etc the hitch don't get beat up that bad.

I also use this set up in the US on my Minivan without any issues what so ever.

If you want good MPG and only need one car and (you don't work as a landscaper) this is the way to go! Smile
4/5/2011 6:19pm
I knew that video of the bike on the car would be on here lol.
With the smaller trailers check and grease the wheel bearings often. At highway speeds those wheels and tires are turning some rpm. Go to a boat trailer place and get some bearing buddies. Cheap insurance against bearing failure.
maintenance blogs are free at http://alsdirtbikegear.com
peelout
4/5/2011 6:21pm
I knew that video of the bike on the car would be on here lol. With the smaller trailers check and grease the wheel bearings often...
I knew that video of the bike on the car would be on here lol.
With the smaller trailers check and grease the wheel bearings often. At highway speeds those wheels and tires are turning some rpm. Go to a boat trailer place and get some bearing buddies. Cheap insurance against bearing failure.
maintenance blogs are free at http://alsdirtbikegear.com
LOL

dude, i just went through your post history and every single one of your posts directs users to your blog
lumpy790
4/5/2011 8:56pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I have used a jackrack an a Silverado & a Tahoe. It works great but the weight on the back hitch makes the front end feel...

AHRMA361 wrote:
No way will you get away with a hitch carrier on a unibody, small car frame....just asking for trouble there. Get a small light trailer like...

Was thinking about getting a Kaw....asaki.

Post a reply to: dirt bike carrier with car

The Latest