decisions decisions...15 honda 450 vs 16 ktm 350?

deez387
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 3:17am
So I have had my mind set on a 16 ktm 350 for a few months...even went as far as already getting my backgrounds and some misc add ons for it as I wait. Originally was told late June/early July from my dealer. In typical ktm fashion, they are only allotting him a couple sxfs and not until sept now. I have an oopportunity to buy a basically brand new honda 450 for $3,500 less than I will be paying for the new ktm, and the susp has already been done by FC for my weight and ability. Side note, my father and younger brother have tons of spare honda parts..many that will fit the 13-15 models. Just wanted to get a feel for those that own or ride a 15 honda and problems/issues? My concern is hearing potential horror stories with the updated air forks. Ive ridden a 13 450 and wasnt blown away. Thanks
|
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
7/21/2015 6:20am
I have a KTM 350 and love the bike . I also got real close to getting a Yamaha 250 f again But am
So glad I waited and got what I wanted . Yes it cost more. But when I show up I feel I have the best bike there . Plus I think you get 2 bonus points for poser status with a new KTM. And that is worth a few hp right there
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/21/2015 6:33am
I'd get the Honda but then again 11 of my last 13 bikes have been Hondas so my opinion might seem skewed.
HenryA
7/21/2015 6:41am
Stick to the KTM. Sure it's cheaper but remember that the resale on the Honda will be terrible when the all new 17 arrives. It's only a month away...
Motofinne
7/21/2015 6:54am
KTM, like HenryA said the resell value in the 13-16 Hondas will not be that good and the 350 is a underrated bike!

The Shop

deez387
7/21/2015 7:00am
Im hearing you guys, it helps that I currently cannot ride right now due to some broken ribs, otherwise the honda would probably be on the back of my truck. My brother who owns a 13 honda was trying to talk me into the 15 last night, only because I know he wants to ride it and beat it.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/21/2015 7:11am
If it's a question of money then the Honda wins out here.

The initial loss of value when riding a new bike has already occurred (hence why it is $3500 cheaper than the KTM) and don't forget the suspension work costs too assuming you'd need to get the KTM setup for your weight/riding. Also the spare parts you can share with family will help, clutch perches, levers etc.
deez387
7/21/2015 7:21am
wsc96 wrote:
If it's a question of money then the Honda wins out here. The initial loss of value when riding a new bike has already occurred (hence...
If it's a question of money then the Honda wins out here.

The initial loss of value when riding a new bike has already occurred (hence why it is $3500 cheaper than the KTM) and don't forget the suspension work costs too assuming you'd need to get the KTM setup for your weight/riding. Also the spare parts you can share with family will help, clutch perches, levers etc.
The money aspect of it does matter a little, but before even buying it, I know I will want to sell it in a yr or so to either get a 17 honda or something else. I do love hondas feel and handling, but I know im going to love the new ktm350 as far as an overall package) so im just a little torn. I appreciate the feedback and will take everything into consideration.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/21/2015 7:28am
Here is Aus KTM held ride days where you could get a ride on each of their new models. If you had access to something like that or could otherwise get a ride on the KTM (once you're healthy) then that should confirm any doubts you might have. Good luck.
CRF505
7/21/2015 9:28am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 9:34am
I was in your position this past winter. I've basically ridden Hondas for 10 years and this spring bought my first KTM. The transition has been.... difficult. Granted, the bikes were different than what you're contemplating. I went from the previous chassis CRF450 (an '09) to a 2015 KTM 350SXF. I love the brakes, clutch, and many of the other KTM components, but I've got 11+ hours on the 350 and still don't have the suspension setup right. I've had the springs changed front and rear, I've had it revalved, I've had the suspension tech ride it. At my lowest point I swore that I was going to light my 350 on fire I hated it so much. It's getting close now but I've never experienced a bike that has been this troublesome.

Have you ridden a 350? Do you like your bros '13 CRF? If you're comfortable on the Honda I would go that route. I would not buy a 350 without riding one first. I don't necessarily regret my KTM350 purchase, but if I could do it all over again I probably would have bought a Honda.
7/21/2015 12:12pm
Hi! I just made the switch from 2015 CRF450 to 16 350sxf last friday. I have only done break-in and been at track once but here is my initial feeling and comparison between the two.

KTM;
+ Feels very, very light, felt almost weird for the first time
+ Very balanced feel, turns very, very well, no understeer and no oversteer. Just lean into ruts and it will be okay.
+ Fork (wp aer48 airfork) very plush, good bottoming resistance. Didn't try any settings, just rode it like it came from dealer.
+ Bike looks gorgerous
+ Launch control works well and is easy to use
- I didn't feel the difference between standard and agressive map at all.
- I was hoping for a little more agressive powerband, felt a little flat. Going to buy fmf pipe asap.
- Side panel melts because of midpipe.
- Rear shock felt a bit nervous, tried sag 100mm, 105mm and 110mm. Manual say it should be 110mm, i liked 105mm the most. Didn't try clicker settings at all, rode like it came from dealer so i think i can solve the problem.
This is what i think of the 350sxf after one good day at the track. Overall very happy with the Bike.

Honda;
+Feels light, not as light as ktm but still very light.
+Turns well
+I think for me, honda shined especially at sand tracks, easy to hop through sand whoops.
+Reliability, fit and finish very good.
-Didn't like psf2 Fork at all, i never found good setting even after few revalves. Front of the Bike was very nervous at and very harsh at braking bumps. When i finally got it somewhat plush, it bottomed easily. I preferred the feel of the psf1 on the 14 model.
-Powerband is very narrow, you need to shift and shift alot. It's not slow but you have to be on right gear all the time. No overrev. No bottom.

Overall wasn't very happy with 15 crf450, i think 14 model was much better.
I hope this helps you with your decision. And remember it's just what I think about these bikes, i'm not saying that everybody likes these the same way.

I'm sorry if my english is bad, i tried my Best Smile
deez387
7/21/2015 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 12:47pm
Thank you for the responses, I am definitely leaning towards the ktm now. I realize I will be getting the 4cs forks but im ok with that. I did like the 13 honda 450, esp when the tracks would get rough and choppy. I would have loved to do a ktm demo ride, but I missed the winchester ride and the next one is 7 hrs away plus im hurt, probably wont make it. I feel like even if the ktm is not the bike I dreamed it would be, I should be able to sell it at a decent price come next spring/summer. I have a pretty good deal with FC and am sure they can helo solve any potential susp issues. Thanks for the feedback everyone
RUTCITY
7/21/2015 1:24pm
Hi! I just made the switch from 2015 CRF450 to 16 350sxf last friday. I have only done break-in and been at track once but here...
Hi! I just made the switch from 2015 CRF450 to 16 350sxf last friday. I have only done break-in and been at track once but here is my initial feeling and comparison between the two.

KTM;
+ Very balanced feel, turns very, very well, no understeer and no oversteer. Just lean into ruts and it will be okay.
+ Fork (wp aer48 airfork) very plush, good bottoming resistance. Didn't try any settings, just rode it like it came from dealer.
+ Bike looks gorgerous
- I was hoping for a little more agressive powerband, felt a little flat. Going to buy fmf pipe asap.
- Rear shock felt a bit nervous, tried sag 100mm, 105mm and 110mm. Manual say it should be 110mm, i liked 105mm the most. Didn't try clicker settings at all, rode like it came from dealer so i think i can solve the problem.
This is what i think of the 350sxf after one good day at the track. Overall very happy with the Bike.

Honda;
+Turns well
+I think for me, honda shined especially at sand tracks, easy to hop through sand whoops.
-Didn't like psf2 Fork at all, i never found good setting even after few revalves. Front of the Bike was very nervous at and very harsh at braking bumps. When i finally got it somewhat plush, it bottomed easily. I preferred the feel of the psf1 on the 14 model.
-Powerband is very narrow, you need to shift and shift alot. It's not slow but you have to be on right gear all the time. No overrev. No bottom.

I hope this helps you with your decision. And remember it's just what I think about these bikes, i'm not saying that everybody likes these the same way.

Awesome review!
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
7/21/2015 1:30pm
FC. Has the bcv valve and that really helps the 4cs forks.
Mini Elsinore
7/21/2015 1:31pm
Hi! I just made the switch from 2015 CRF450 to 16 350sxf last friday. I have only done break-in and been at track once but here...

KTM;
+ Bike looks gorgerous

Honda;
+Turns well

RUTCITY wrote:
Awesome review!
^^^^this^^^^ ......and, your English is awesome!
Jrewing
7/21/2015 3:07pm
Get the 15 crf and put your 13 forks on it. Put a single slipon on it. Much better overev and more than 2 kg lighter
TeamGreen
7/21/2015 3:09pm
The new KTMs are superb handlers.

The '16 Honda 450 is, also.

deez387
7/21/2015 4:11pm

KTM;
+ Bike looks gorgerous

Honda;
+Turns well

RUTCITY wrote:
Awesome review!
^^^^this^^^^ ......and, your English is awesome!
I agree...excellent comparison. Exactly what I was looking for. Im going to wait for the ktm. Ive heard plenty of people tell me that ktms are just a different feel than a jap bike but I keep hearing the 16s are much different and much closer to a Japanese feel. Last ktm I rode was a 13 450 and it did have a different feel but overall was a good bike. Stood up on me alot and was shaky at high speeds, but all stock.
Superdave19
7/21/2015 4:23pm
Good move. I've got plenty of time on a 15' 350, and I normally ride a KX450/RMZ450. Once you get use to reving the 350, it is SUCH a blast. Very, very fun motorcycle, and doesn't wear you out.

The 16' 350 is suppose to be absolutely sick.
7/22/2015 3:17am
Thank you, i'm glad you liked my review!

I think KTM still feels a bit different than japanese brands but not nearly as much as before. When i first sat on the bike at dealer, i immediately noticed that front of the bike felt a lot taller than honda. Dealer told me that this 16 model is designed more "american" style when it's weight is more biased to rear end. But then again, honda is way more front end biased bike than any i have ridden so that might be the reason i noticed it.
Still, KTM didn't feel rear end biased at all when at the track, just absolutely well balanced.

Post a reply to: decisions decisions...15 honda 450 vs 16 ktm 350?

The Latest