bulged disc

yzjs7
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2014 12:27am
So I have a slight bulged disc in my lower back. It didn't really bother me until my doctor rubbed his knuckle against it real hard asking "does this hurt?" Ever since then which was a week ago it's been really bothering me. Anyone dealt with this or something similar.
|
yzjs7
3/25/2014 9:25pm
C'mon man I'm serious.
mxb2
3/25/2014 9:36pm
Let stewart be on top next time.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
3/25/2014 9:37pm
Is there pain down your leg or just in back?

The Shop

PADDY'S LAD
3/25/2014 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2014 9:45pm
yzjs7 wrote:
C'mon man I'm serious.
Have you been to a good chiropractor ? I'm able to run my business & ride because of mine
He's the American Olympic water polo head coach . I was facing fusion of my neck recommended by my orthopedic Dr.
Couple visits to my chiropractor and all was good. Go holistic first then take it from there.
Best of luck to you.
jstein639
3/25/2014 9:59pm
Same l5-s1. I'm 22 almost 23. I was advised by every doctor I know NOT to seek out a chiropractor since it can degenerate worse in my case. Proper core strength and physical fitness have kept it at bay for the most part
JM485
3/25/2014 10:02pm
Dang, bummed to hear about that. Hopefully you can figure something out that will help.
yzjs7
3/25/2014 10:09pm
Just in my lower back. I plan on seeing my chiropractor tomorrow. It wasn't that bad until the doctor irritated the crap out of it. Jm 485 was there I fell in a deep hole and nearly broke my neck. I'm falling apart,damn dirt bike.
JM485
3/25/2014 10:11pm
Shoot, I didn't realize it was from that crash still! I wish I had my gopro on for that, it was pretty gnarly. Hare scramble is this weekend, hopefully I can avoid those. About a month ago I almost fell into one that was about ten feet deep, that would have really sucked!
RedDirtDog
3/25/2014 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2014 10:26pm
physical theRAPEist that specialize is spine treatment are much better then those wacko chiro's, Mckenzie PT's are pretty successful with freshly bulging discs. Have you had an MRI? any nerve/leg pain?
DanDunes818
3/25/2014 10:17pm
Raining yellow, whatever you do, don't let a doctor talk you into surgery until you've exhausted all other remedies. I had surgery on three bulging and ruptured discs in 2009 and the pain actually got worse. And, because the pain was now caused by scar tissue on the nerves there wasn't much if anything that could be done. I still ride and race, but my day to day pain from the surgery is gnarly. Everyone is different, but that's my story.
3/25/2014 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2014 10:32pm
My l5-s1 bulged in 03. After 3 unsuccessful surgeries, it was fused. It only succeeded in moving the pain to BOTH legs, and the disc above it bulged. After 3 more surgeries, I have 2 discs in my neck that I'm going tomorrow to see if they can give me any relief, bringing my total to possibly 8 surgeries to heal my back. If you don't have degenerative disc syndrome you may be able to get it repaired and live a normal life. If you DO have DD, you'll just shift the problem around and never find relief. Do some low-impact exercises to keep your back from getting tight, watch how u lift, and use heat and cold after your rides to mitigate swelling. Aleve is great for aches and pains as well, but mine is so bad I take percocets daily and have for a decade. Riding is terrible on that part if the back, but worth it I think. I hope you can get better, golden shower! Wink
3/25/2014 10:30pm
Raining yellow, whatever you do, don't let a doctor talk you into surgery until you've exhausted all other remedies. I had surgery on three bulging and...
Raining yellow, whatever you do, don't let a doctor talk you into surgery until you've exhausted all other remedies. I had surgery on three bulging and ruptured discs in 2009 and the pain actually got worse. And, because the pain was now caused by scar tissue on the nerves there wasn't much if anything that could be done. I still ride and race, but my day to day pain from the surgery is gnarly. Everyone is different, but that's my story.
Exactly my situation. I actually advocate surgery though as long as the surgeon is a good one. Leaving a bulging disc pressing on a nerve destroys the ability of the nerve to ever heal right. NEVER go to a chiropractor or have physical therapy while you have a sever bulge as well. Phy therapy made mine worse when it first happened. Careful maintenance of your back by keeping it limber goes a long way because muscles a WILL get tight as hell when you have a back problem and cause all kinds of pain. I really hate to see a young person with a disc problem. It has almost ruined my life through thoughts of suicide(at times due to pain) and opiate addiction. Everybody reading, please take as much care of your back as possible!
yzjs7
3/25/2014 10:40pm
No leg pain,just right above my ass. When I bend backwards it hurts and aches throughout the day. It's not crazy pain but it's annoying that's for sure.
malachi177
3/25/2014 10:49pm
Exactly my situation. I actually advocate surgery though as long as the surgeon is a good one. Leaving a bulging disc pressing on a nerve destroys...
Exactly my situation. I actually advocate surgery though as long as the surgeon is a good one. Leaving a bulging disc pressing on a nerve destroys the ability of the nerve to ever heal right. NEVER go to a chiropractor or have physical therapy while you have a sever bulge as well. Phy therapy made mine worse when it first happened. Careful maintenance of your back by keeping it limber goes a long way because muscles a WILL get tight as hell when you have a back problem and cause all kinds of pain. I really hate to see a young person with a disc problem. It has almost ruined my life through thoughts of suicide(at times due to pain) and opiate addiction. Everybody reading, please take as much care of your back as possible!
I have to disagree with not going to physio. My L5-S1 disc is shot, and I was in a lot of pain etc. I went to physio and that is where I was taught the exercises to build up my core, my transverse abdominis, and multifidus muscles. Without going to physio I never would have known about these exercises. Good luck with your back. Don't sit too much either, your back likes movement. Good luck raining yellow.
The Rock
3/25/2014 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2014 11:49pm
1) change doctors
2) ice ice then ice some more
3) personally I would wait to see if ice helps before an adjustment. Don't want to irritate it.
4) know anyone with an inversion table? I would go SLOW and just lay flat then with a spotter ever so slowly invert monitoring if it is feeling worse or better. Even if it feels good I would not completely invert given your present condition.
5) now for the ultimate bulging disc relief
6) when this back episode is over please do what Malachi177 suggests as he is right on the money.

Good luck. Feel for you as I have been there done that.
3/26/2014 12:46am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2014 12:48am
Exactly my situation. I actually advocate surgery though as long as the surgeon is a good one. Leaving a bulging disc pressing on a nerve destroys...
malachi177 wrote:
I have to disagree with not going to physio. My L5-S1 disc is shot, and I was in a lot of pain etc. I went to...
I have to disagree with not going to physio. My L5-S1 disc is shot, and I was in a lot of pain etc. I went to physio and that is where I was taught the exercises to build up my core, my transverse abdominis, and multifidus muscles. Without going to physio I never would have known about these exercises. Good luck with your back. Don't sit too much either, your back likes movement. Good luck raining yellow.
I should've been more specific by saying if you DO go to physical therapy with a severely bulged disc (like mine was) DO NOT let them use the "traction" type machine on your legs(if you're having leg pain). That happened to me and for some reason it really seemed to exacerbate the pain to a level so intense I preferred death almost to having to wake up. The surgeon said it was a bad idea to use whatever machine it was and that they should not have,on a person with a disc like mine. Physical therapy itself works wonders, but watch those machines!
plowboy
3/26/2014 1:27am
Man...what a group of decrepit bastiches. I am one myself. 3 blown lumbar and constant burning down the right leg. Recently a new pain on the left side through my nut sack down the inner thigh to my knee. I won't even mention the hideous pain in my neck and shoulders. I truly know what the difference between pain and CHRONIC pain is now. When there is no relief...ever. No real sleep or body position that eases the agony. I got in the habit of finishing a 2/3 hour scramble and just leaning against the truck for an hour or so just so no one (especially the wife) could see that I was numb from the waist down. Dirt bike junkie...guilty.
Crush
3/26/2014 1:48am
So... Right now you have:

A Bum shoulder
A bulged disc
A bike with no engine
Boots you can't use
and a boner for Stewy you can't do anything with...

Find another sport bro, this one is doing you no favours.

In all seriousness, have a you had scans to confirm it's a bulged disc? Anything spinal is best diagnosed properly before ANY treatment. I've had two friends recently have back pain diagnosed as a bulging disc. Turns out one had MS and the other has some nerve damage.
smezmx
3/26/2014 2:28am
had a slipped disc in my neck (c5-c6) in 2003,suffered pain/numbness in my left arm on and off ever since.the pain would last about 7-10 day's and it would usually occur about every year to 18 month's or so.i used painkiller's for this and the pain would eventually go away and i'd be back to normal.however on boxing day last year the pain returned but this time i was in agony.went for an mri scan and found out that the disc below it (c6-c7) had ruptured aswell causing severe/intense pain in my left arm due to nerve compression/damage.lucky for me i had private healthcare cover and i had an (anterior cervical decompression with fusion) operation LAST MONTH, (they used a special foam and titanium cages/hardware) to fuse everything together and i'm well on the road to recovery.there was no way i could carry on with that pain so i had no choice but to have the surgery.still have weakness/numbness in my left arm/hand/finger's but i'm improving all the time and the pain is gone!.my surgeon has a very good reputation and it worked out very well in my case.
if you get leg pain (lower back nerve compression) or arm pain (for upper back/neck nerve compression) and you can't live with it,then i'd say it's best to have an op as it won't heal itself, over time it will most probably degenerate more with wear and tear,and one day the shit will hit the fan.

good luck.
robkinuk
3/26/2014 2:34am
Crush wrote:
So... Right now you have: A Bum shoulder A bulged disc A bike with no engine Boots you can't use and a boner for Stewy you...
So... Right now you have:

A Bum shoulder
A bulged disc
A bike with no engine
Boots you can't use
and a boner for Stewy you can't do anything with...

Find another sport bro, this one is doing you no favours.

In all seriousness, have a you had scans to confirm it's a bulged disc? Anything spinal is best diagnosed properly before ANY treatment. I've had two friends recently have back pain diagnosed as a bulging disc. Turns out one had MS and the other has some nerve damage.
Laughing

Seriously, hope your back get's better!
dlowe102
3/26/2014 2:48am
I had surgery followed by injections. Now I'm pretty much good
Camp332
3/26/2014 3:32am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2014 3:34am
I did L4-L5-S1 some years back, and there was crazy sciatic pain for a bit. However I rehab'd it slowly, eventually getting back to full strength at the gym. Core exercises that focus abs, lower back, deadlifting, squats have eliminated any issues up to today. Take it slow, but keep at it. Keeping back pain away is a way of life. Dont stop

(Non sarcastic, and trying to be helpful post)
Bramlett321
3/26/2014 3:44am
I ruptured my L5/S1 so bad that my neurologist had never seen one so bad, went the PT route but I was too far gone (symptoms were pissing my pants without trying) , after two failed surgeries to shave away the rupture that was damaging the nerves in my back I was sent to the back Institute in Plano, TX (Dr Jack Zigler) where he removed the bad disc and installed an artificial disc (pro disc), this was in 2008. After the nerve damage healed I'm as good as I was before the injury, I lift in the gym on a daily basis and race the LACC series competitively in the B class and couldn't be happier with the results. I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to success stories and back injuries but I'd certainly recommend this procedure if had NO other alternative. Best of luck to you.
downard254
3/26/2014 6:11am
Camp332 wrote:
I did L4-L5-S1 some years back, and there was crazy sciatic pain for a bit. However I rehab'd it slowly, eventually getting back to full strength...
I did L4-L5-S1 some years back, and there was crazy sciatic pain for a bit. However I rehab'd it slowly, eventually getting back to full strength at the gym. Core exercises that focus abs, lower back, deadlifting, squats have eliminated any issues up to today. Take it slow, but keep at it. Keeping back pain away is a way of life. Dont stop

(Non sarcastic, and trying to be helpful post)
Ditto here. L4-L5-S1. I've been dealing with it for 29 years. Can't stress enough how important it is to stretch every day and do core exercises. I refuse to ever have surgery on my back. I go to the chiropractor on occasion and have had decompression therapy(traction) which helped me and my father a ton. I had a fully herniated disc back in '03 and did tons of research on the condition, then found that the body will correct itself over a 2-3 month time (which it did), but daily stretching was critical to the recovery. To help with the pain associated with the situation, I read where combining 1 dose of Advil and 1 dose of Alieve had an exponential effect on the pain and really kept it tolerable and in check. Hell, I'm having lower back pain as I type this and I can feel the tingling down in my right ankle, but, I'm used to it after 29 years. I actually feel better after spending a few hours on the old RM. Well, a little worse about 6 hours after that, but immediately after riding, I feel great.

By the way, I'm not a physician, so take this info at face value. What worked for me, may not work for you.

Buck up camper.
jndmx
3/26/2014 7:54am
I'm in the middle of this as well.
Bulging lumbar disc that has compressed the nerve and I have pain and numbness all down the back of my leg.
It's like an electric shock on my ankle/calf and up at the top of my leg and the top of my foot and toes are numb.....good times.

Getting an MRI next week
Snip
3/26/2014 8:46am
yzjs7 wrote:
No leg pain,just right above my ass. When I bend backwards it hurts and aches throughout the day. It's not crazy pain but it's annoying that's...
No leg pain,just right above my ass. When I bend backwards it hurts and aches throughout the day. It's not crazy pain but it's annoying that's for sure.
Sorry to hear that. It was almost a year ago today I went in for massage therapy, while she was massaging my lower back I felt a sharp pain. Ever since then I have been dealing with back pain and feeling weakness on my right side butt cheek. Try to do some exercises that will work your Piriformis muscle. Planking has helped and I have been doing a lot of core strengthening.

I would definitely hit up a physio therapist and have them check your range of motion. My Piriformis muscle was very tight and was causing my hips to to turn.

I have been using ibuprofen to try and keep the inflammation down. It's a long road but you can get there.
3/26/2014 9:14am
Try some yoga. It works wonders and many people just go under the knife instead of doing basic, simple things that would help a great deal. The Western Medicine approach is non-holistic and usually they are surgery-happy.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
3/26/2014 10:22am
crush,dont forget new seven gear.
my wife is in this also after a lady went alessi on her and totaled her pilot. she does yoga and stretches every morning and @ lunch.said its night and day difference when she doesnt.. i agree with the strong core and staying limber as others have said.
goonslurkin316
Fantasy
1212th
3/26/2014 10:26am
I'm 21 and having my first episodes of back pain as well. My back has always looked different compared to most, as I have a mild lordosis and kyphosis as well. My back always has looked rather large in the middle, especially if I am bent over. It would be very sore after I hadn't rode for a while (that's a given), but no sharp pains. This past winter it all began to hit me though; my shoulders on the bench began to feel very sore, shoulder presses were hurting, hammer curls, weighted rows, etc. I thought I had severe shoulder impingement, which I did, but caused from my back. My back had rolled everything forward and put my shoulders in a bind when I began to lift. So I laid off for probably 6 weeks and have began to stretch quite a bit through PT exercises, and I now can do pushups and simple lifting exercises (heavy weights I'm still very hesitant with).

Which leads me to my next problem, with the heavy upper body lifting being taken out of the equation, I wanted to focus on getting my legs stronger, with squats, deadlift variations, etc. One day I was doing light squats (135) and going quite a ways down; when I came up on my last rep I felt a strain in my lower back, so I stopped with the squats. I then moved to the leg press where I rehabbed my ACL a year prior. Thinking it would be harmless, I did my normal weight and BAM, a significant pain came through my lower back. I began to feel my first sciatic pain after this, with my cheeks tingling, down both legs. (I'd also strained my back with a deadlift; with movements like backbends and hyperextensions hurting pretty bad).

With my range of motion quickly deteriorating and my sciatic pain increasing I went to a PT. The stretches she gave me worked to an extent (I've always been extremely stiff, injuries pile up and we compensate) tight hips, glutes, etc; with the stretches and her rubbing and pressing on my lower back, butt, and upper back the pain would subside for a little while. The stimulator machine felt good as well. However after a few hours or days, that pain would come back; and now I've stopped going, as it just really isn't making any difference anymore.

I've had to pretty much stop all sports (Rec. basketball and football) because the pain is very irritating and just isn't worth it. Jogging tends to jar it as well. Bad news is she told me the wear and tear of jumping all these years has really put my back through hell and she doesn't think I should ride anymore (I know all doctors say this sort of thing). She's pretty knowledgable about motocross though, as her husband rides and they go to the local sx events periodically.

With that being said, I'm right there with you. Hopefully over time this diminishes and I return to normal. I think I might try some Yoga (although I feel its going to put my lower back in strain) and rest, even though she told me not to rest too much. Hope it gets better for everyone.

Post a reply to: bulged disc

The Latest