broken collar bone...

pacetruckdrvr
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2013 7:45pm
So i broke my collar bone on aug 5, they waited 10 days for the check up to then tell me that I needed surgery, so the next day I have surgery with a plate an a bunch of screws and get ready to start recovery. My question is for others with the same injury, how long should this recovery take? When should I be good to go back on the bike? I have been out of the sling since sep. 4.
|
motomike894
9/24/2013 5:18pm
Just did my right one for the second time about 8 weeks ago first time was 9 years ago broke in 5 places had surgery riding 8-9 weeks later then had to have plate and screws removed about 4 years ago cause skin stuck to a screw head.

At a race about 8 weeks ago crashed bad breaking same one again this time only in half but still bad enough had have fixed, 5 weeks later I rode and was fine before my 2nd check up at 6 weeks had that and everything looked good bone not 100% filled on but 3/4 way there I can barely tell it even happened now still have to be careful lifting anything heavy till I go back in 3 weeks.

You'll be fine !
motorush
9/24/2013 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2013 5:24pm
I have both my collar bones plated and screwed. It took a while for it to "weld" together. But I just stuck to the Dr. advice. And I took my scooter to the appt. that gave me the ok to ride again. I've had the plates in since '06 & '08. They are stronger and better. Just kinda scared if I break them again, what that metal will do. But as good as new. When something touches or hits them it kills like a Muther!!!
The University of Utah Ortho center is one of the best IMO.
sundios
9/24/2013 5:23pm
3 weeks to heal 1 month on the bike.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/24/2013 6:34pm
Jeez, I broke one of mine seven times and never had them plated.

Maybe that's because I quit going to the doctor after the third one, and would just go home and throw on the figure-eight brace and sling.
Randy_Nix
9/24/2013 6:40pm
Depends on where it's broken. My doctor said I had a type 2 fracture. I had surgery a month ago and the doc said I still have wait 4 weeks before I ride.
86 honda
9/24/2013 6:44pm
motorush wrote:
I have both my collar bones plated and screwed. It took a while for it to "weld" together. But I just stuck to the Dr. advice...
I have both my collar bones plated and screwed. It took a while for it to "weld" together. But I just stuck to the Dr. advice. And I took my scooter to the appt. that gave me the ok to ride again. I've had the plates in since '06 & '08. They are stronger and better. Just kinda scared if I break them again, what that metal will do. But as good as new. When something touches or hits them it kills like a Muther!!!
The University of Utah Ortho center is one of the best IMO.
I mean like fire touching it
pacetruckdrvr
9/24/2013 6:51pm
The thing is still kinda tender, it was broken in half so I don't know what kind of break it was. The doctor was always in a rush and didn't really take the time to talk to me about recovery. But man do I ever want to ride.
9/24/2013 7:45pm
GuyB wrote:
Jeez, I broke one of mine seven times and never had them plated. Maybe that's because I quit going to the doctor after the third one...
Jeez, I broke one of mine seven times and never had them plated.

Maybe that's because I quit going to the doctor after the third one, and would just go home and throw on the figure-eight brace and sling.
hardcore! Of course back in the day, doctors weren't always so eager to cut you open like they are now. Mine overlaps about an inch and if I had known the problems that would cause, I would have had it plated. Sad

Post a reply to: broken collar bone...

The Latest