another "first American" quote from RV interview

Julian
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 5:38pm
Then...

as MXA points out:

Ryan said, “Looking at going to Europe and making that move and being the first one to do that, that wasn’t what drove me at first either.”

The facts: If Ryan Villopoto manages to win a World Championship he won’t be the first one to do it. He won’t be the second. He won’t be the third. He won’t be the fourth. He won’t be the fifth. He won’t be sixth. He won’t be seventh. He won’t be the eighth. But, he will be ninth — after the following American World Champions.

1982… Brad Lackey (500)
1982… Danny LaPorte (250)
1989… Trampas Parker (125)
1990… Donny Schmit (125)
1991… Trampas Parker (250)
1992… Donny Schmit (250)
1994… Bobby Moore (125)
|
ATKpilot99
10/12/2014 1:26pm
Actually he would be the sixth American to win one. There are a couple 2 time champs on your list.
Forza
10/12/2014 1:32pm
Someone in this thread is not a RV fan. I won't point fingers.
Julian
10/12/2014 1:35pm
you two have a point about it being the 6th Person to do it
but
when you think about it, RV would be the 9th one to do it,
as in: it was done 8 times so it had to be done 8 times by somebody
since a ghost could not have done it those other two times.
it is just that two others did it two times.
so, Trampas did it in 89
but
Trampas also did it in 91
so to be fair to Trampas, it actually did DO it
it is not that he did not do it in 91

The Shop

10/12/2014 1:36pm
Are they referring to him being the first reigning champion to do it?
Julian
10/12/2014 1:37pm
but I am an RV fan, but it is always good to admit to the facts and not disrespect those who have worked hard to achieve what what they did
10/12/2014 1:37pm
"RV would be the 6th world champion" and "If RV won the world title, it would be the 9th time for an American" are different statements.
Xeno
10/12/2014 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 1:51pm
I think RV is aware that Americans have won world titles.

I also think that RV is referring to being the first reigning champion to leave the U.S. for the GPs. That whole paragraph is about leaving Supercross after 4 consecutive championships.

There's a lot of dialog in that interview, and it should be taken in context. What that means is you can't pull out one sentence and hang the guy by it. Then again, if you are talking about MXA- they have a lot of nooses.
machine
10/12/2014 1:40pm
First time a current AMA champ would be a GP champ too. I'm sure that's what he meant.
Julian
TripleFive wrote:
Are they referring to him being the first reigning champion to do it?
it is not, are "they" referring to him.
it is just a quote from RV himself, he just said "first one" we would have to look back at his interview to get the complete context of what he said to be fair to RV
pawsan
he'd be the first American 450cc/mx1 champion!
Julian
10/12/2014 1:44pm
yea, first American 450cc/mx1 champion (with red hair) to do it, there you go....
and
yes MXA has a lot of nooses
Forza
10/12/2014 1:48pm
Julian wrote:
yea, first American 450cc/mx1 champion (with red hair) to do it, there you go....
and
yes MXA has a lot of nooses
So you think RV is trying to disrespect those Guys?
Julian
10/12/2014 1:55pm
NO, I do not think he is trying to disrespect anybody. i think RV is a top class guy, but being in his position, he should be more careful with the "first American" statements. Personally I think he is a modest, hard working type of guy, and such statements could be mistaken by readers, my point is that he just should have been careful about the "first American" statements so as not to appear to be disrespecting his fellow Americans who came before him.
rcm406
10/12/2014 2:01pm
Man, that Bobby Nichols dude is already handing the trophy to RV! He said "talk about a legacy move" uh yea, if he loses, it will tarnish his legacy.

Good thing RV doesn't care about records, because he doesn't own any of them!LaughingTongue I couldn't resist!

Serious though, I've never been a fan of RV because imo, he's just a bland rider(personality and on the track) kinda reminds me of a Jeff Stanton type of persona. I do however respect his work ethic and what it took for him to get to where he's at today and I'll also be rooting for him in the GPs.

One question I do have is what were the decisions that RV spoke of, that helped to promote SX/MX?Dry
Forza
10/12/2014 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 2:02pm
Julian wrote:
NO, I do not think he is trying to disrespect anybody. i think RV is a top class guy, but being in his position, he should...
NO, I do not think he is trying to disrespect anybody. i think RV is a top class guy, but being in his position, he should be more careful with the "first American" statements. Personally I think he is a modest, hard working type of guy, and such statements could be mistaken by readers, my point is that he just should have been careful about the "first American" statements so as not to appear to be disrespecting his fellow Americans who came before him.
So it upset you enough to start 2 threads about it? We get the point RV should not say he is the 1st American to win a world title. Should we sit and piss and moan because he got his facts wrong?
mac3-d
10/12/2014 2:09pm
machine wrote:
First time a current AMA champ would be a GP champ too. I'm sure that's what he meant.
If RV2 does win he will not be a current AMA champ as you already know KR94 is the current national champ & someone other than RV2 will be the current 2015 SX champ before the GP champ is crowned Blush
Julian
10/12/2014 2:16pm
i would not use such a strong word as upset
I just have been a big fan of mx since I first saw Roger DeCoster win the Trans AMA at Road Atlanta in 74
and I appreciate every rider in the sport - especially ones who put a lot of hard work to achieve a goal
and when it those accomplishments are not pointed out, or when they are sort of forgotten in the excitement of making a "first American" statement in an interview, it just gets under my skin a little.
I was at the track in Luxembourg when Lackey wrapped it up in 82, strolled by his small trailer in the pits and heard "Eye of the Tiger" playing at a high volume between the first and second motos, so I am just the type of guy who is a little sensitive about my old memories and well I think you get it
Excaliburbmx
10/12/2014 2:26pm
Maybe the first 250 sx mx 450 sx mx mxon championship winning rider went on to win the mxgp or contend for it.
10/12/2014 2:40pm
Seems like the only person that didn't understand Ryan was the same person who started this thread.
Julian
10/12/2014 2:42pm
Ryan said, “Looking at going to Europe and making that move and being the first one to do that, that wasn’t what drove me at first either.”

It is getting late over where I am but just in case it is not understood, (maybe I mentioned it already, sorry)

but

as you can see on Wikipedia:

The Kawasaki factory offered Brad Lackey a sponsored ride in 1972 and he won the AMA 500cc motocross national championship in dominating fashion and, was the highest placed American rider in the 1972 Trans-AMA motocross series.[2] However, he had his sights set on the world championship Grand Prix events held in Europe.

An American MX National Champion already went "the other way" and won a World Title in the "BIG CLASS"
and
a week later another American MX National Champion (LaPorte) won the World Title in the less prestigious 250 Class
Julian
10/12/2014 2:46pm
TripleFive wrote:
Seems like the only person that didn't understand Ryan was the same person who started this thread.
so, everybody else out in the MX world understands what RV meant in his interview with his comments about being the 'first American" ?
Julian
10/12/2014 2:49pm
Xeno wrote:
I [i]think[/i] RV is aware that Americans have won world titles. I also [i]think[/i] that RV is referring to being the first reigning champion to leave...

I also think that RV is referring to being the first reigning champion to leave the U.S. for the GPs. That whole paragraph is about leaving Supercross after 4 consecutive championships.

There's a lot of dialog in that interview, and it should be taken in context. What that means is you can't pull out one sentence and hang the guy by it. Then again, if you are talking about MXA- they have a lot of nooses.
Wikipedia:
The Kawasaki factory offered him a sponsored ride in 1972 and he won the AMA 500cc motocross national championship in dominating fashion and, was the highest placed American rider in the 1972 Trans-AMA motocross series.[2] However, he had his sights set on the world championship Grand Prix events held in Europe. In 1973, Lackey set out on what would eventually be a ten-year quest for a 500cc Motocross World Championship,
PressPassP
10/12/2014 3:50pm
mac3-d wrote:
If RV2 does win he will not be a current AMA champ as you already know KR94 is the current national champ & someone other than...
If RV2 does win he will not be a current AMA champ as you already know KR94 is the current national champ & someone other than RV2 will be the current 2015 SX champ before the GP champ is crowned Blush
Yes,RV will hold an AMA title as he starts the GPs although a different discipline to MX

If it was Roczen that returned next year and won it would be regarded as consecutive MX titles from one series to another when talking about another first,since we don't have SX over here,

RV is/would be making other firsts though,Lackey might have been the top American the year when he left for Europe but nothing like the domination RV had now he's done the same
SEE ARE125
10/12/2014 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 3:53pm
I've read both threads and all I can say is... I sure hope I can sleep tonight. This whole ordeal has me in a twist. I'm probably gonna toss and turn all night thinking about it. I've already yelled at my wife and kicked the dog.
41NDT
10/12/2014 4:01pm
MAYBE HE COULD OF JUST RACED AT GLEN HELEN AND WON ONE OF THEIR WORLD TITLES SAVED HIM THE PAIN OF DOING A REAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
CAPS LOCK ON IN HONOR OF MXA.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
10/12/2014 5:30pm
Xeno wrote:
I [i]think[/i] RV is aware that Americans have won world titles. I also [i]think[/i] that RV is referring to being the first reigning champion to leave...

This^^

first american supercross champion is what he was saying. Go back to English class.

Wow............
jeffro503
10/12/2014 5:35pm
Xeno wrote:

Myke wrote:
This^^

first american supercross champion is what he was saying. Go back to English class.

Wow............
No shit! This Julian guy is a fucking idiot.

RV is saying that he would be the first reigning champ to go over and compete in the GP's........NOT that he would be the first American to win it.

If You are going start a subject.....at least get your facts strait. Clueless bastard.
edgo897
10/12/2014 5:38pm
Julian wrote:
Then... as MXA points out: Ryan said, “Looking at going to Europe and making that move and being the first one to do that, that wasn’t...
Then...

as MXA points out:

The facts: If Ryan Villopoto manages to win a World Championship he won’t be the first one to do it. He won’t be the second. He won’t be the third. He won’t be the fourth. He won’t be the fifth. He won’t be sixth. He won’t be seventh. He won’t be the eighth. But, he will be ninth — after the following American World Champions.

1982… Brad Lackey (500)
1982… Danny LaPorte (250)
1989… Trampas Parker (125)
1990… Donny Schmit (125)
1992… Donny Schmit (250)
1994… Bobby Moore (125)
How did Parker win again in 1991 after Moore won in 1994? Different rules back then?

Post a reply to: another "first American" quote from RV interview

The Latest