''all the gear no idea''

Edited Date/Time 12/29/2015 12:43am
So i was just thinking about guys you see at the track with every trick part on a brand new bike, but are literally like stevie wonder riding around out there.

Personally, although its not needed, i understand why people do it. I mean why not? if you can afford it then why not trick your bike out however novice you are. Its like modding your car, im no lewis hamilton but i like to keep my car looking good and have had it re mapped etc, its just nice to know you have the best out of your motor. weather you can use it is another story.

I see people laughing at guys like this all the time and i just think, chill out man. its mostly jellousy i think.
|
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
12/24/2015 10:39am
I got a buddy who says "If you can't be fast, at least LOOK fast." Dude looks very fast.
12/24/2015 10:43am
Hman144 wrote:
I got a buddy who says "If you can't be fast, at least LOOK fast." Dude looks very fast.
Quality with a capital K!

that would make a good t-shirt
KTMShane699
12/24/2015 10:49am
So i was just thinking about guys you see at the track with every trick part on a brand new bike, but are literally like stevie...
So i was just thinking about guys you see at the track with every trick part on a brand new bike, but are literally like stevie wonder riding around out there.

Personally, although its not needed, i understand why people do it. I mean why not? if you can afford it then why not trick your bike out however novice you are. Its like modding your car, im no lewis hamilton but i like to keep my car looking good and have had it re mapped etc, its just nice to know you have the best out of your motor. weather you can use it is another story.

I see people laughing at guys like this all the time and i just think, chill out man. its mostly jellousy i think.
Instead of laughing at those guys, they shouldn't be so short sighted. The guys that are putting money into their bikes are doing more for the industry than the fast kid on a clapped out bike. It's dollars like that that continue to keep the sport moving in a forward direction.

It's not a matter of speed for everyone. Some people enjoy the journey and simply want to enjoy the fruits of their labor. If they can afford it, who cares? Maybe they should look to those guys to see what they did in life to get where they are. Maybe they're doing something right.

I would have been way faster if I didn't focus on my future when I was younger and just rode like people do today. Instead I balanced riding and risk and now have a solid career that allows me to have the physical things I want. What more needs to be justified to anyone?

I do agree the jealousy factor comes into play a lot though. That's a very true statement.

Shane
brimx153
12/24/2015 10:50am
what about the guy s, goes into the bike shop . asks how many hour s do you change you piston at . shop says 12 hours , guy says there around 2 years riding on it . then says he may wait for money . then buys ,new plastics ,graphics and gear

The Shop

hvaughn88
12/24/2015 10:53am
brimx153 wrote:
what about the guy s, goes into the bike shop . asks how many hour s do you change you piston at . shop says 12...
what about the guy s, goes into the bike shop . asks how many hour s do you change you piston at . shop says 12 hours , guy says there around 2 years riding on it . then says he may wait for money . then buys ,new plastics ,graphics and gear
What if he rides 5 hours a year?
Grieby54
12/24/2015 10:54am
brimx153 wrote:
what about the guy s, goes into the bike shop . asks how many hour s do you change you piston at . shop says 12...
Wat
12/24/2015 10:54am
So i was just thinking about guys you see at the track with every trick part on a brand new bike, but are literally like stevie...

Instead of laughing at those guys, they shouldn't be so short sighted. The guys that are putting money into their bikes are doing more for the...
Instead of laughing at those guys, they shouldn't be so short sighted. The guys that are putting money into their bikes are doing more for the industry than the fast kid on a clapped out bike. It's dollars like that that continue to keep the sport moving in a forward direction.

It's not a matter of speed for everyone. Some people enjoy the journey and simply want to enjoy the fruits of their labor. If they can afford it, who cares? Maybe they should look to those guys to see what they did in life to get where they are. Maybe they're doing something right.

I would have been way faster if I didn't focus on my future when I was younger and just rode like people do today. Instead I balanced riding and risk and now have a solid career that allows me to have the physical things I want. What more needs to be justified to anyone?

I do agree the jealousy factor comes into play a lot though. That's a very true statement.

Shane
yep,

its like when your in a bar with your girl and the hottest chick in the world walks in, your girl says ''look at the state of that slut''...............you just stare at your girl like wtfffffffff Dizzy

but to keep the peace, you obviously agree lol
12/24/2015 10:56am
brimx153 wrote:
Grieby54 wrote:
Wat
yeah i was just thinking the same lol

brimx153 must be a few hours into a heavy session on the Guinness
Titan1
12/24/2015 11:06am
I have no issues at all with slow guys that "look" fast. it's slow guys that "talk" like they are fast that I always chuckle at.

If you're slow, embrace it, and fast guys will help you. If your slow, and talk a big game, that you can't back up, everyone laughs at you.

And anyone that wants to spend all their money on a sport that I love, is cool in my book! I don't care how fast they are.
Spartacus
12/24/2015 11:09am
Name a sport where some people don't do the same thing. I've seen people with 500k sail boats that couldn't get them out of the harbor.
12/24/2015 11:10am
I love it...those parts will end up staying on a lightly used bike that a guy with a bit less money will be able to afford one day. The more high end parts that end up in the pipe line the better.
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
12/24/2015 11:30am
Point is, is that most of them walk around the pits like they're the fastest dudes out there. Not to mention the social media game Laughing

In all seriousness though, spend the money on what you want to spend it on. If you don't maybe one day you sit and think "damn I wish I bought this or that..."
KTMShane699
12/24/2015 11:42am
NVA57 wrote:
Point is, is that most of them walk around the pits like they're the fastest dudes out there. Not to mention the social media game :laugh...
Point is, is that most of them walk around the pits like they're the fastest dudes out there. Not to mention the social media game Laughing

In all seriousness though, spend the money on what you want to spend it on. If you don't maybe one day you sit and think "damn I wish I bought this or that..."
Funny you mention the social media game. A lot of people with the tricked out bikes have connections that have enabled them to get what they want. Part of the hook up is the promotion.

Some slower guys give better exposure for companies based on their social media and pit presentation. I know part of my obligation for getting hooked up is to provide exposure. Some people get it. Some don't. And that holds true regardless of speed.

I do embrace that my fastest days are behind me. I also embrace building my bike how I want and enjoying being able to have the things I want. I also embrace the promotion aspect of the hook ups I've gotten over the years.

Shane
12/24/2015 11:43am

i just typed my thread title in google images and this was a result, no relevance but check out the 95 graphics on the new honda!!!!!
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
12/24/2015 12:33pm
My multiple bikes today are 10 times as cool as my one bike was 10 years ago when I was 17. I now also ride at 1/10th the speed and jump 1/10th of the stuff I would back then. I really don't give a shit. I enjoy riding and racing occasionally but it isn't worth it if I don't get to go home to my wife and kids at the end of the day.
Sandberm
12/24/2015 12:58pm
The last thing I think of when I see some guy at the track with all the mods on his bike and new riding gear is..."Gee, isnt he doing a lot for the industry".
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
12/24/2015 12:59pm
Worst I ever saw was a Team Yamaha employee at the track decked out with all the lasted team Pit-wear, a know it all insider bad attitude, topped off with fresh jet black hair dye on his gelled locks. He got on a bike and tipped over on the face of the first jump he approached. He couldn't even keep the bike running he was going so slow.
Spydee
12/24/2015 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2015 1:12pm
Hman144 wrote:
That made me laugh Laughing

As for me I've ditched my '03 No Fear kit and treated myself to the 2016 Fox range. First time in over a decade I'll actually be wearing something modern. So hopefully I'll at least look fast if that quote is anything to go by!
bvm111
12/24/2015 1:29pm

Instead of laughing at those guys, they shouldn't be so short sighted. The guys that are putting money into their bikes are doing more for the...

Shane
yep, its like when your in a bar with your girl and the hottest chick in the world walks in, your girl says ''look at the...
yep,

its like when your in a bar with your girl and the hottest chick in the world walks in, your girl says ''look at the state of that slut''...............you just stare at your girl like wtfffffffff Dizzy

but to keep the peace, you obviously agree lol
I usually just say... Yeah she is so disgusting I can't believe she came in here like that!!!Evil

Not sure why I still get slapped... Woohoo
gpracer36
12/24/2015 1:34pm

Shane
true that
JerseyFresh
12/24/2015 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2015 1:44pm
Hah, my Mom used to make fun of those guys at the track so hard. "Dr. Asshole" was the usual nomenclature. Bike matched the truck(or RV), fully loaded all around, pit mat, custom EZ-up.....the set-up took more time than they stayed at the track. The old 2 lap goon session, almost kill himself endoing over the tabletop, pull in. Jersey was rife with them back in late 90s/early 00s. Having said that, Shane's post was correct. They were the reason the dealership could have a "race team" and give the real racers 20% off on parts and deals on bikes. It was a good time to be a racer for sure.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
12/24/2015 1:51pm
I myself personally enjoy looking nice . I pretty much have everything on my bike and I also have multiple sets of new gear . At the races I normally wear new gear . But I also try my best to represent the people that support me . Slow or fast there is nothing wrong with looking your best
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
12/24/2015 1:52pm
its not what they have . its how they act. d bags come from all types of income brackets.
i know guys that buy dodge hellcats for 70grand. cool and down to earth. wth do i care if a guy tricks his bike and truck,rv out? good for him. slow fast whatever. have fun and dont be a dbag.
Grieby54
12/24/2015 2:13pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/24/116680/s1200_superthumb.jpg[/img] i just typed my thread title in google images and this was a result, no relevance but check out the 95 graphics on the new...

i just typed my thread title in google images and this was a result, no relevance but check out the 95 graphics on the new honda!!!!!
Looking at this on my phone I could not, for the life of me, figure out how their legs became one and went into the boot haha. Took me a second to see that her legs were bent at the knee.
12/24/2015 2:22pm
Spartacus wrote:
Name a sport where some people don't do the same thing. I've seen people with 500k sail boats that couldn't get them out of the harbor.
Or back in!.

Happy Xmas Dudes.
MIKEY755
12/24/2015 2:39pm
Travis, I see it exactly like you, I look at those guys at the MX track the same way, I must admit I do some times chuckle but who am I to judge, hell I'd do the same if I could.

Anyways, it's good to see you're doing well, Merry Christmas and happy new year dude!
TeamGreen
12/24/2015 3:32pm
If they're on the latest Factory Edition or if they're on a clapped out 1982 YZ125...

They all seem to wear the same huge smile.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
12/24/2015 3:45pm
Funny you mention the social media game. A lot of people with the tricked out bikes have connections that have enabled them to get what they...
Funny you mention the social media game. A lot of people with the tricked out bikes have connections that have enabled them to get what they want. Part of the hook up is the promotion.

Some slower guys give better exposure for companies based on their social media and pit presentation. I know part of my obligation for getting hooked up is to provide exposure. Some people get it. Some don't. And that holds true regardless of speed.

I do embrace that my fastest days are behind me. I also embrace building my bike how I want and enjoying being able to have the things I want. I also embrace the promotion aspect of the hook ups I've gotten over the years.

Shane
You hit the nail right on the head Shane. Someone on here recently commented to me that I must be pretty fast to have all the sponsors in my sig(pretty sure he was being sarcastic) My response to him was that this year I'm more marketable than fast. That was the end of that conversation...
KTMShane699
12/24/2015 3:52pm
You hit the nail right on the head Shane. Someone on here recently commented to me that I must be pretty fast to have all the...
You hit the nail right on the head Shane. Someone on here recently commented to me that I must be pretty fast to have all the sponsors in my sig(pretty sure he was being sarcastic) My response to him was that this year I'm more marketable than fast. That was the end of that conversation...
Some people get it, most don't. Glad you do. I've long thought the best things a young rider can do is to take two classes. One on public speaking and another on marketing and business. If you understand those two things, you can understand how to make yourself marketable to sponsors in the sense of telling them "this is what I can do for you." That will lead to the potential sponsor assigning a value on that service in the form of discount or product for free. But hey, getting support is all about being fast.

I know plenty of fast riders (even pro caliber fast) that can't communicate and don't gather anywhere near the support of slower riders. The difference is one understands marketing and communication. One doesn't.

I'm not fast. But I understand marketing and networking. So I'll continue to get better deals.

Shane

Post a reply to: ''all the gear no idea''

The Latest