Zimmer's Blue Buffalo bike for Dilla

Edited Date/Time 8/7/2014 2:02pm
Wow... Not even sure what to think here lol... The bachelors degree in business part of me sees the strategic marketing approach for both Blue Buffalo and Slater Skins (if you hadn't heard of these companies before, you have now; mission accomplished there). The moto obsessed fanboy side of me raises an eye brow, but wonders if this kind of thing could be a positive thing for our sport (attracts more sponsors, money etc). ...but the aesthetics obsessed part of me is screaming Whiskey Tango,Foxtrot ,over?!?

Good luck to him this weekend!! Carolina riders representing strong these days..

http://racerxonline.com/2014/08/06/title-zimmer-to-debut-with-the-blue-…

|
moto38
8/7/2014 6:09am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2014 6:09am
I always wonder why people choose to do something that has been done in the past and didnt work....

that thing is hideous
hvaughn88
8/7/2014 6:18am
I don't mind the plastics on the sides. Not a fan of the front ones, though. It is definitely bold, which I can respect.
hillbilly
8/7/2014 6:18am
If it is windy that bike will be a handful in the air with the wind resistance created by the handguard /bar cover.

The Shop

Grieby54
8/7/2014 6:28am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I don't mind the plastics on the sides. Not a fan of the front ones, though. It is definitely bold, which I can respect.
This.
Sandberm
8/7/2014 6:49am
Is "Blue Bufaloe" a code word for something in the same fashion "Horse" is/was?

Ive been through upstate New York on a baffaloe thats blue
Crush
8/7/2014 6:54am
Said it before and ill say it again, it's not the skins, it's the hideous bloody graphics package they've come up with for almost every example that's been made.
DemoDick
8/7/2014 7:13am
Better hope there is not a mud race. That head will be packed in like a can of play doh.
DemoDick
8/7/2014 7:16am
In all seriousness this one does not look too bad. No I am not saying this just because it is hooters....the graphics sort of flow better

agn5009
8/7/2014 7:20am
That is gayer than aids
abn166
8/7/2014 7:35am

The front of the bike looks like a speedway bike. I think it looks okay on speedway bikes but it is Fugly as hell on a MX bike!
moto38
8/7/2014 7:53am
Im seeing it this way-

The plastics on a bike more or less serve a purpose as far as bike functionality, and nothing more. Fenders keep the mud away from the rider, shrouds channel air into the radiators and protect some of the electrical parts, number plates hold the numbers. All of these things have, over time, gotten more and more refined to be as small/slim/efficient as possible, while still keeping a cool look.

However, what Blue Buffalo has done is said fuck all that noise, im going to slap a car bumpers worth of plastic on the side of a bike and cover it in funky looking graphics.

Bikes are like formula 1 cars in a way- nothing on them is there that doesnt help it achieve its goal, which is going as fast around the track as possible. This bike is like if Ferrari all the sudden started putting those cheap chrome grills and fake hood scoops on their cars.
newmann
8/7/2014 7:58am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2014 8:02am
Crush wrote:
Said it before and ill say it again, it's not the skins, it's the hideous bloody graphics package they've come up with for almost every example...
Said it before and ill say it again, it's not the skins, it's the hideous bloody graphics package they've come up with for almost every example that's been made.
Yep, the whole thing looks like an afterthought. Junior high art project gone wrong. Blue Buffalo? Red Bull? How unoriginal can you get? And yes I realize it probably isn't finished but that photo never should have been "leaked".

Colors are lifeless and clash from one end of the bike to the other.

Graphics look like a cat head on the front fender with a Blue Buff logo laid over it.

SRP and Slater logos haphazardly placed.

Honda decals on the forks with the wing going up and backwards. Backwards Honda wings really drive my ass batty. Maybe I'm OCD, I don't care.

Black front fender and rimmage looks like ass.

And I know absolutely nothing about graphics design but I do know the overwhelming majority of people think that Slater Skins look horrific. Slater needs to hire someone to make their product look appealing, it can be done.

4stroke4DWIN
8/7/2014 7:59am
DemoDick wrote:
In all seriousness this one does not look too bad. No I am not saying this just because it is hooters....the graphics sort of flow better...
In all seriousness this one does not look too bad. No I am not saying this just because it is hooters....the graphics sort of flow better

I have customers who have trouble putting on graphics now, I can only image doing one of these.
DemoDick
8/7/2014 8:04am
DemoDick wrote:
In all seriousness this one does not look too bad. No I am not saying this just because it is hooters....the graphics sort of flow better...

I have customers who have trouble putting on graphics now, I can only image doing one of these.
And you have a problem with making money?????
4stroke4DWIN
8/7/2014 8:09am
DemoDick wrote:
And you have a problem with making money?????
Uh no, People have issues installing graphics now and they are individual pieces. These are one solid piece. I don't sale graphics on the internet and drive to other states to install them lolBlink
Xeno
8/7/2014 8:11am
Newmann, a backwards Honda wing (or any deviation from what you see on Canard's bike) will get you a phone call from Torrance.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/7/2014 8:17am
DemoDick wrote:

With that bike, could you not cut out the entire black section on the bottom of the side cover and achieve the same level of exposure for Hooters with a ton more air flow? I get the concept, I just seems really over-done.
newmann
8/7/2014 9:12am
Xeno wrote:
Newmann, a backwards Honda wing (or any deviation from what you see on Canard's bike) will get you a phone call from Torrance.
The sign out front of the local Honda dealer, one of those huge powerhouse dealers, on one side the wing was facing the interstate while on the other side it was facing the dealership. Been bugging me for years.....Laughing

Please make it stop!

dean122
8/7/2014 9:19am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2014 9:20am
Putting skins aside that bike looks clapped out.

With the skins it looks like shit x2
The Rock
8/7/2014 11:00am
Questions:

1) Who is the most talked about privateer heading into Unadilla?

2) Had you heard of Blue Buffalo before this week?

As Jeff Zimmer so eloquently put it IT'S MARKETING.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
8/7/2014 11:04am
dean122 wrote:

Other than the side case how can you tell the bike is "clapped out"?
kijen
8/7/2014 11:12am
gust good to see Ryan healthy and racing again....really don't care what the bike looks likes....the bike is just a tool, it's about performance right? Hell 4 years ago KTM orange was the fuglist color on a bike....now people are painting their frames that god awful orange color.....I bet Ryan thinks that bike is amazing looking....cause it got him back on the track!

now for the rest of those who don't ride or those that ride real slow (like me) looks are the most important aspect of the bike....cause all we do is look at it....

good luck Ryan!
brimx153
8/7/2014 11:41am
The Rock wrote:
Questions: 1) Who is the most talked about privateer heading into Unadilla? 2) Had you heard of Blue Buffalo before this week? As Jeff Zimmer so...
Questions:

x2
dean122
8/7/2014 11:44am
dean122 wrote:

mx510 wrote:
Other than the side case how can you tell the bike is "clapped out"?
Clutch cover, pegs, swingarm, assorted plastic guards look old. To me it looks a bit beat for a pro caliber bike thats trying to make a statement. Its only my opinion which really means nothing.

One thing is true though, its getting more talk than any other bike coming in this weekend. Mission accomplished.
Cygnus
8/7/2014 11:55am
In agree it looks clapped out. Even The radiator plastic covers are all bent up and white off white like they get when smashed.
jndmx
8/7/2014 12:06pm
The Rock wrote:
Questions: 1) Who is the most talked about privateer heading into Unadilla? 2) Had you heard of Blue Buffalo before this week? As Jeff Zimmer so...
Questions:

1) Probably Luke Renzland

2) Anyone with a pet or a television has heard of them.

Marketing? If you have to give it away to get someone to use it then what's the point?
4stroke4DWIN
8/7/2014 12:08pm
jndmx wrote:
1) Probably Luke Renzland 2) Anyone with a pet or a television has heard of them. Marketing? If you have to give it away to get...

Marketing? If you have to give it away to get someone to use it then what's the point?
2) Anyone with a pet or a television has heard of them.Laughing True dat.
The Rock
8/7/2014 12:12pm
jndmx wrote:
1) Probably Luke Renzland 2) Anyone with a pet or a television has heard of them. Marketing? If you have to give it away to get...

1) I only heard of Luke yesterday.

2) I don't have a TV so point well taken.

Regarding If you have to give it away to get someone to use it then what's the point? my response is what's the point of responding to your question when it is based on a false assumption IE give it away to get someone to use it? I am not at liberty to get into the business arrangements but this is a great deal for the Zimmers Blue Buffalo and Slater Skins. It is a win win win for all concerned and everyone is getting their money's worth.

VitalMX is representative the world with the glass half empty people and the glass half full folks. You half empty people keep thinking negatively while the rest of us focus on the positive instead of the SSDD mentality the runs rampant in this sport.

Post a reply to: Zimmer's Blue Buffalo bike for Dilla

The Latest