Yz125, Tc125 or Sx150 ? .......

Hi
Trying to choose between the new 17 bikes, yz125 Tc125 or 150Sx
I know the obvious choice is the ktm but I rode a 16 with air fork last year
And it just felt a bit cheap, it went like a bat out of hell but vibes were insane and
It was I found slightly harder to ride fast as it was a fair bit faster.... love Yams and have had a
Few over time but is it much slower than the new husky 125 ? I'm only practising and riding for fun,
I like a nice clean pull from the bottom which the yam has but I would like to know if anyone has ridden
Both 125's or all 3 bikes to get there opinion...... looks wise for me it's tied between the Yz and Tc .....
Any feedback would be ace
|
Motofinne
11/19/2016 12:01am
Are you going to race in a 125 class? If not go for the 150 SX!
11/19/2016 5:01am
IMO they are all great bikes you can't go wrong with any of them.

Buy the one that is the best deal.

The SX/TC have a hydro clutch and Brembo brakes which are not extremely useful to you as your not racing it: Stock YZ brakes on the YZ125 will be just fine for you.

The YZ is cheaper so you might be able to get a pipe for it with the money saved.
pete24
11/19/2016 5:41am
if you ride for fun buy the yz, ive been waiting for transmission pats for a 16 ktm 125 since MARCH thats rite march god dammit, it ruined the kids whole summer we had to but another bike,ask around a lot of two stroke ktms and huskys broke trannys
o ya and the yz is just a better bike
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/19/2016 5:47am
Why isn't the KTM 125 in the mix? I just got one, it's super fun. A lot of people say the power is smooth than the 150.

The Shop

K-dubbb
11/19/2016 5:58am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 6:10am
pete24 wrote:
if you ride for fun buy the yz, ive been waiting for transmission pats for a 16 ktm 125 since MARCH thats rite march god dammit...
if you ride for fun buy the yz, ive been waiting for transmission pats for a 16 ktm 125 since MARCH thats rite march god dammit, it ruined the kids whole summer we had to but another bike,ask around a lot of two stroke ktms and huskys broke trannys
Sounds like a nightmare, was this a warranty type deal through KTM or did they leave you on your own?

Aside from this story, I would suggest the KTM all day - over 10 pounds lighter, hydro clutch and the best brakes you can essentially get. It looks like a real pile of fun to toss around on the track.
11/19/2016 6:19am
Yamaha. It's cheaper and leaves you with money to upgrade the already awesome suspension, tires, pipe, silencer and reeds. I rode a 2014 Ktm and honestly wasn't impressed with all the ktm this and ktm that hype. Can't say anything about a husky as I've never rode one but hands down I think the Yamaha is a better over all package.
pete24
11/19/2016 6:37am
pete24 wrote:
if you ride for fun buy the yz, ive been waiting for transmission pats for a 16 ktm 125 since MARCH thats rite march god dammit...
K-dubbb wrote:
Sounds like a nightmare, was this a warranty type deal through KTM or did they leave you on your own? Aside from this story, I would...
Sounds like a nightmare, was this a warranty type deal through KTM or did they leave you on your own?

Aside from this story, I would suggest the KTM all day - over 10 pounds lighter, hydro clutch and the best brakes you can essentially get. It looks like a real pile of fun to toss around on the track.
we had the bike with 37 hrs on it broke the tranny, kid aint easy on bikes, so i took it apart i didnt think there was a warentee, after that much time, ordered the parts, nothing a month goes by , nothing then i get a little excited call dealer, they say bring the bike in and we will most likely warentee it, but it needed to be together i already had the cases split i wasnt putting a broken bike back together , i explained that i just wanted to buy the parts didnt want anything for free, they said parts are backoreded, i asked how they were going to fix it if the parts wernt avaiablle, they said they could get it done, but they woulndt sell me the parts, i got one part last week and still waiting on one, yes i do believe the dealer would have taken care of it, and at this point i should have reassembled it and brought it in, but i just wanted to buy the parts, sinice this has happened Stinke who rode the nationals, broke at least two trannys that we know about and i know of two 250 two stroke ktms that broke them, there is a problem here
superorbital
11/19/2016 6:38am
Read what motocross action has to say about them Motocross action always seems to be doing shootouts with those three bikes. Seems like they usually favor the YZ. But you should definitely check out what they have to say. I think you could get some good info on their website.
swtwtwtw
11/19/2016 7:42am
Steer away from the KTM the Transmissions will break
11/19/2016 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 12:11pm
Buy the YZ and with the money you save get a few drums of race fuel and burn it all up!
I would have to assume that KTM fixed the '16 transmission issue for the '17 run.
steve.t
11/19/2016 12:49pm
Have a 16 yz 125 and absolutely love it! Worth it for the lower price tag and that genuine yamaha reliability!
BobPA
11/19/2016 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 1:33pm
Yamaha. It's cheaper and leaves you with money to upgrade the already awesome suspension, tires, pipe, silencer and reeds. I rode a 2014 Ktm and honestly...
Yamaha. It's cheaper and leaves you with money to upgrade the already awesome suspension, tires, pipe, silencer and reeds. I rode a 2014 Ktm and honestly wasn't impressed with all the ktm this and ktm that hype. Can't say anything about a husky as I've never rode one but hands down I think the Yamaha is a better over all package.
Ride the 2016+ 125 and you will sing a different tune....the old chassis wasn't all that great.

Keep in mind you are paying top dollar for an 11 year old design with the Yamaha. Brakes, clutch, engine, ergos are all so much better from the orange bike it justifies the few dollars.

I think you need to polish your quad fenders more
11/19/2016 1:54pm
Can't compare the pre 16 125/150 ktms with the 16+. The 16+ is far superior. Motor and chassis wise.
I keep hearing about the terrible ktm transmission, but have only heard of a few, and in which ktm covered. I've been ROUGH on mine, and it's still silk.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/19/2016 1:58pm
Can't compare the pre 16 125/150 ktms with the 16+. The 16+ is far superior. Motor and chassis wise. I keep hearing about the terrible ktm...
Can't compare the pre 16 125/150 ktms with the 16+. The 16+ is far superior. Motor and chassis wise.
I keep hearing about the terrible ktm transmission, but have only heard of a few, and in which ktm covered. I've been ROUGH on mine, and it's still silk.
My 16 KTM 125 has 35 hours and tranny feels great. (Knock on wood).

I think you just gotta try and ride the bikes and make a choice. There's too many opinions and what one rider might feel might be different for you.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/19/2016 5:20pm
How many people commenting have actually broken transmission gears on a KTM? Would love to hear. The only bike I can confirm that breaks 3rd and or 4th gear relatively often is a yz250.

That said, going with the best deal you can't go wrong, all awesome bikes.
JWACK
11/19/2016 6:02pm
On cycle trader new Yz 125s can be found for 4500. That's not a bad deal.
11/20/2016 6:20am
Can't believe this is a real question. in the U.K. The price difference is £200 and that's For an 11 year old bike! I had a yz125 and it was a decent bike but it's not even close to my 17 tc125 which is better in every way, power, handling, suspension, brakes, clutch, wheels, 6 month warranty. Love Yamaha I really do but they having a laugh charging what they do for there 2 strokes.
11/20/2016 6:25am

Two great bikes but defo go ktm/husky the yam is old tech now.
11/20/2016 10:26am
Thanks for all the feedback, FORDO-197 , keen to see how they compare as you've had both ? How's the jetting and low end on the husky ? I felt that yam pulled really well all the way from the bottom, I totally understand your comments about the price as I'm in the uk but the only thing I feel is the ktm and husky just have a sort of throw away feel to them but the yam looks really good in build quality and somehow I think looks better now than when it first came out even though it's hardly changed lol i did think the 150 motor felt very good it's just the finish that puts me off, the bolts and brackets etc look very cheap to me..... I know that's being picky ! Defo think the husky is possibly better looking than the ktm
11/20/2016 10:41am
Thanks for all the feedback, FORDO-197 , keen to see how they compare as you've had both ? How's the jetting and low end on the...
Thanks for all the feedback, FORDO-197 , keen to see how they compare as you've had both ? How's the jetting and low end on the husky ? I felt that yam pulled really well all the way from the bottom, I totally understand your comments about the price as I'm in the uk but the only thing I feel is the ktm and husky just have a sort of throw away feel to them but the yam looks really good in build quality and somehow I think looks better now than when it first came out even though it's hardly changed lol i did think the 150 motor felt very good it's just the finish that puts me off, the bolts and brackets etc look very cheap to me..... I know that's being picky ! Defo think the husky is possibly better looking than the ktm
honestly there is nothing that i prefer about my old yam although i will say other than a brake bleed the yam was reliable whereas its early days on the husky as its only done 24 hrs. neither have any bottom end really being 125's but the husky is noticeably quicker and the yam signed off early and abruptly. i took the bike straight to sps tuning as soon as i bought it to be ran in and jetted on the dyno also having the hgs pipe fitted and they said the jetting was pretty good stock they just made minimal adjustments, bike made 38.5 hp at the wheel. the fit and finish is decent but having owned a 16 fc250 i found that the engine, hubs and pegs all lost there shine with the british mud and being put away slightly wet on occasion. i like the forks better i love the adjustability of air and i had the bladder conversion done on the shock and the suspension is spot on now at 105mm sag and 123psi air pressure.
11/20/2016 10:57am
Cool thanks dude, would be interesting to see the stock dyno figures as I wouldn't have that money for a pipe and set up straight away. I wonder how far they would be apart if the yam had a pipe and the husky was stock ?
I know what ya saying regarding bottom end but the yam defo pulls and revs so cleanly stock wouldn't you say ?
The 16 150sx I rode was new and felt badly jetted and harsh compared with the yam, I do like the husky I have to say just slightly concerned it wouldn't stay looking nice for long like you say in the good old English weather lol
11/20/2016 11:11am
the pipe only gave it like half a hp extra peak but it gave it 1hp and 1ft of torque from 4000rpm all the way to limiter but apart from the fact that it sounds terrific id save your money as its fast stock. realistically 4hp difference isn't huge but as a package imo the husky/ktm nails it. i bought the husky as my local shop is a husky dealer who have always looked after me but I'm sure if they had of sold ktm to id struggle not to get 150sx.
11/20/2016 11:12am
Cool thanks dude, would be interesting to see the stock dyno figures as I wouldn't have that money for a pipe and set up straight away...
Cool thanks dude, would be interesting to see the stock dyno figures as I wouldn't have that money for a pipe and set up straight away. I wonder how far they would be apart if the yam had a pipe and the husky was stock ?
I know what ya saying regarding bottom end but the yam defo pulls and revs so cleanly stock wouldn't you say ?
The 16 150sx I rode was new and felt badly jetted and harsh compared with the yam, I do like the husky I have to say just slightly concerned it wouldn't stay looking nice for long like you say in the good old English weather lol
What elevation were you at? My '16 150 was crisp right out of the crate.
11/20/2016 12:36pm
fordo-197 wrote:
the pipe only gave it like half a hp extra peak but it gave it 1hp and 1ft of torque from 4000rpm all the way to...
the pipe only gave it like half a hp extra peak but it gave it 1hp and 1ft of torque from 4000rpm all the way to limiter but apart from the fact that it sounds terrific id save your money as its fast stock. realistically 4hp difference isn't huge but as a package imo the husky/ktm nails it. i bought the husky as my local shop is a husky dealer who have always looked after me but I'm sure if they had of sold ktm to id struggle not to get 150sx.
Sorry dude which bike did the pipe only give half a bhp to ? I think the yam is supposed to gain as much as 2hp from a. Pipe jetted correctly .... I stand to be corrected on that !
11/20/2016 1:00pm
fordo-197 wrote:
the pipe only gave it like half a hp extra peak but it gave it 1hp and 1ft of torque from 4000rpm all the way to...
Sorry dude which bike did the pipe only give half a bhp to ? I think the yam is supposed to gain as much as 2hp...
Sorry dude which bike did the pipe only give half a bhp to ? I think the yam is supposed to gain as much as 2hp from a. Pipe jetted correctly .... I stand to be corrected on that !
only gained half a bhp on the husky on the top with the pipe but it did improve the whole curve and runs crisp. yes you would probably get better gains on the yam but i think they only do like 34 hp stock
11/20/2016 2:28pm
fordo-197 wrote:
Sorry dude which bike did the pipe only give half a bhp to ? I think the yam is supposed to gain as much as 2hp...
fordo-197 wrote:
only gained half a bhp on the husky on the top with the pipe but it did improve the whole curve and runs crisp. yes you...
only gained half a bhp on the husky on the top with the pipe but it did improve the whole curve and runs crisp. yes you would probably get better gains on the yam but i think they only do like 34 hp stock
I think you may have seriously helped my decision! I'm thinking the tc may now be the way to go ! Obviously yours has the pipe but would you be kind enough to share your jetting specs after you had the bike set up on the Dyno ..... always a huge bonus I find to compare which way people have gone with it. Mxa recon they had to drop the pilot jet from
A 45 all the way to a 32 to eliminate bog of the bottom, this is in the Sumer heat in the us though so not quite the same as the winter in the uk lol
wfo250
11/20/2016 4:18pm
JWACK wrote:
Where can you find new yz125 for $4500? I didn't see it.
JWACK
11/20/2016 4:51pm
JWACK wrote:
wfo250 wrote:
Where can you find new yz125 for $4500? I didn't see it.
I searched a few weeks ago nationwide. It was some place in Texas that had new 14 leftovers.
brash
11/20/2016 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2016 8:40pm
I've had both, I'd go the YZ every day of the week. The 150sx power delivery for me was just too on/off for my liking. When it was on the pipe though.... damn it had some go! Screw up a corner or make a mistake and watch yourself get passed.

Granted I'm no A grade rider, but the YZ is just so much more forgiving and for me a lot more enjoyable to ride, plus you can find parts in the nearest dumpster they are that common. They don't have any inherent weaknesses and with the right mods can hold their own.

Machined Head
HGS exhaust
PC 304 silencer
Vforce reeds

That's all the mods I've got and it keeps me happy. Get some suspension sorted for your speed and weight and enjoy!

Post a reply to: Yz125, Tc125 or Sx150 ? .......

The Latest