Your wheel set combos

Everyday woods set is Dunlop AT81's front and rear with heavy duty tubes.

Colorado/Lorettas woods ride is Dunlop MX32 up front/Kenda Equilibrium rear with bib mousses in both.

Wondering if you guys run different combos for your primary and backup sets.
|
11/22/2017 2:24pm
I run a Dunlop MX3S front/Dunlop MX11 rear. With that set I can ride pretty much all the tracks in my area.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
11/22/2017 2:34pm
Once the stockers go, A60's has held up well for me. As for tires, mix it up all the time. You will never know how much better another tire can work without trying em.
navalseabee
11/22/2017 3:35pm
After trying just about everything, MX3S, GT216AA, Starcross 5, MX52, various Kendas and S12XC's i have settled back to AT81's with Michelin Bibs installed. This combo seems to work the best for me where i race (North Alabama, Lousiana, Missippi and Florida)
Acidreamer
11/22/2017 3:52pm
Running mx3s in front and rear. Like them more than the mx51, starcross 5s and the Bridgestones my bike had at one point.

The Shop

captmoto
11/22/2017 4:34pm
What bikes are you guys running? I have a 17 FC450 and am due for a new rear tire. I got 15 hours out of it.
BobPA
11/22/2017 4:40pm
Starcross 5 mediums on the track, IRC VE33 out back for the woods. MX3S in the dumpster where they belong.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/22/2017 5:05pm
BobPA wrote:
Starcross 5 mediums on the track, IRC VE33 out back for the woods. MX3S in the dumpster where they belong.
I take it you don't do much MX track riding ? The MX3 front and rear are the most popular tire here in California. Everyone is titled to their opinion, but I love the way they work in soft terrain, I just wish they lasted longer.
305FC250
11/22/2017 5:08pm
Starcross 5 sand rear with a medium up front on my yz250f. Works great for 98% of florida tracks. If I gota ride one of the few hard pack tracks I can throw on the Bridestone M403/M404 that originally came on the bike that I like only for hard pack terrain.
MX3S front and rear on my tc125 (still original tires). Solid all around tire imo.

Might be in North Carolina in a month riding a couple tracks that are mostly clay which is a surface I'm not familiar with. I figure medium hardness (though not sure how winter conditions will effect the track). I'm not sure if I should keep my Starcross sand tire or switch to something else. Anyone got any input on that?
11/22/2017 7:20pm
BobPA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I take it you don't do much MX track riding ? The MX3 front and rear are the most popular tire here in California. Everyone is...
I take it you don't do much MX track riding ? The MX3 front and rear are the most popular tire here in California. Everyone is titled to their opinion, but I love the way they work in soft terrain, I just wish they lasted longer.
Dam....lot of passion both ways on the MX3. Guess it all depends on how and where you ride.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/22/2017 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 7:28pm
305FC250 wrote:
Starcross 5 sand rear with a medium up front on my yz250f. Works great for 98% of florida tracks. If I gota ride one of the...
Starcross 5 sand rear with a medium up front on my yz250f. Works great for 98% of florida tracks. If I gota ride one of the few hard pack tracks I can throw on the Bridestone M403/M404 that originally came on the bike that I like only for hard pack terrain.
MX3S front and rear on my tc125 (still original tires). Solid all around tire imo.

Might be in North Carolina in a month riding a couple tracks that are mostly clay which is a surface I'm not familiar with. I figure medium hardness (though not sure how winter conditions will effect the track). I'm not sure if I should keep my Starcross sand tire or switch to something else. Anyone got any input on that?
The clay tracks in western NC can get pretty hard packed. I would play it safe and mount the bridgestones.
Ive read of others running your same combo with the starcross 5, why do you run different compounds front to back? Traction or wear? I'm looking at getting these tires to ride sand to medium.
BobPA
11/22/2017 7:25pm
BobPA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I take it you don't do much MX track riding ? The MX3 front and rear are the most popular tire here in California. Everyone is...
Ride tracks all the time. The front works very well when new, but it chucks the outer knobs off before the edges round. I ran the recommended 13psi, and it still broke all the knobs off in 15 hours on my 450. The rear is just ok, IMO for the money the Michelin is a better tire in every aspect. A bunch of my friends bought Austrian bikes this year, and none of them bought the MX3S's again after they wore out.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/22/2017 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 7:42pm
BobPA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Ride tracks all the time. The front works very well when new, but it chucks the outer knobs off before the edges round. I ran the...
Ride tracks all the time. The front works very well when new, but it chucks the outer knobs off before the edges round. I ran the recommended 13psi, and it still broke all the knobs off in 15 hours on my 450. The rear is just ok, IMO for the money the Michelin is a better tire in every aspect. A bunch of my friends bought Austrian bikes this year, and none of them bought the MX3S's again after they wore out.
I've seen the fronts tear off the knobbies before, but I haven't had it happen to me. I think that when they are ridden on harder packed tracks, is what tears them off. I honestly don't ride too much hard pack, it mostly groomed fluff at the tracks I frequent. I'm getting 20 hours out of both front/rear on my 450. I got 8 hours on a set that's on my RM250, and they still look pretty fresh. If you head out to Glen Helen on a Thursday, you'll see more MX3's on the pro bikes than an thing else. Most of them run the standard compound while practicing. Ive been running 13.5 and it feels best. The normal 12 psi just doesnt feel right with these, especially the front.

I'll admit I haven't veered from Dunlop in awhile and Bridgestones 403/404's before that. Although I have switched from the Dunlop AT81's on my KTM 500 and put a set of Shinko 505 cheaters on it. Not only are they a DOT tire, they grip so good, it almost feels weird. The rubber is so soft, you can twist the knobbies 90 degrees. They also last a long time, which doesn't really make much sense.

I'll have to try a set of Micheln's eventually, but I have a few sets of the MX3's left. I've read good things about them.
11/22/2017 7:51pm
langhammx wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Ride tracks all the time. The front works very well when new, but it chucks the outer knobs off before the edges round. I ran the...
langhammx wrote:
I've seen the fronts tear off the knobbies before, but I haven't had it happen to me. I think that when they are ridden on harder...
I've seen the fronts tear off the knobbies before, but I haven't had it happen to me. I think that when they are ridden on harder packed tracks, is what tears them off. I honestly don't ride too much hard pack, it mostly groomed fluff at the tracks I frequent. I'm getting 20 hours out of both front/rear on my 450. I got 8 hours on a set that's on my RM250, and they still look pretty fresh. If you head out to Glen Helen on a Thursday, you'll see more MX3's on the pro bikes than an thing else. Most of them run the standard compound while practicing. Ive been running 13.5 and it feels best. The normal 12 psi just doesnt feel right with these, especially the front.

I'll admit I haven't veered from Dunlop in awhile and Bridgestones 403/404's before that. Although I have switched from the Dunlop AT81's on my KTM 500 and put a set of Shinko 505 cheaters on it. Not only are they a DOT tire, they grip so good, it almost feels weird. The rubber is so soft, you can twist the knobbies 90 degrees. They also last a long time, which doesn't really make much sense.

I'll have to try a set of Micheln's eventually, but I have a few sets of the MX3's left. I've read good things about them.
Dam Bros...you guys are getting much rides in...kudos to you.
BobPA
11/22/2017 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 8:22pm
langhammx wrote:
I've seen the fronts tear off the knobbies before, but I haven't had it happen to me. I think that when they are ridden on harder...

Dunlops are also fairly popular here. I ride probably 60% track and 40% woods. Most of our tracks are quite loamy here, but PA has a bunch of rocks, and it tears up all types of tires. The thing I like about the Starcross 5's is that, compared to the MX3S, the performance does not fall off as much when they get rounded. The Michelin fronts are good in the woods, the rears are just meh. I have been using the VE33 offroad for at least 10 years, it wears great, and is always very consistent.

Tires are very subjective as you can see. I just have not been impressed with the Dunlops.

Don't the pros ride Dunlop because they are free...and they are the official tire of MX and SX?
loftyair
11/22/2017 9:33pm
I would say most ama pros use the Dunlop's because of the support.
MSM
11/22/2017 10:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 10:10pm
BobPA wrote:
langhammx wrote:
BobPA wrote:
We ride the same percentages between moto and woods and relatively the same terrain. I agree, currently on Dunlop but starcross 5 med is the all around best tire for me. The spectrum between performance and durability far outweighs any other tire I've ridden at my speed, in my area.
TeamGreen
11/22/2017 10:25pm
Metzeler tires w/ Michelin Bibs.
Mid "Softs" for MX & Mid "Hards" for the Dez.
Lynch
11/22/2017 10:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Metzeler tires w/ Michelin Bibs.
Mid "Softs" for MX & Mid "Hards" for the Dez.
Same tire choice however I tend to buy Technomousse due to the fact that my last rear bib lasted 60 hour + they are a lot cheaper.
jbrown15
11/22/2017 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 11:45pm
loftyair wrote:
I would say most ama pros use the Dunlop's because of the support.
I know I run the Dunlops (MX3S only) on my bike and my son's race bike because of the discount.....lol
My local shop that I deal with gives us 45% off, otherwise I would probably run Starcross 5's.
Turbojez
11/23/2017 1:36am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2017 1:37am
On my RM 250 I run Michelin Starcross 5 medium rear and Starcross 5 soft up front. Awesome combo for most track conditions. Deep sand, I switch the rear to Starcross 4 Sand. Both combos work extremely well.
I gave up on Dunlop MX3S due to, previously mentioned, really short lifespan of the front tire.

My SXF 250 has Dunlop MX52 up front and Starcross 5 Medium in the back.
MX52 front gives up on you the moment you least expect it, unless you expect it every time you hit a corner Grinning . Won't ever buy MX52's for the front. I need to replace this one with Starcross soft asap.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/23/2017 1:51am
On ALL of our bikes we only run MX3S's. I am going to try the new MX12 on our sand tracks!
11/23/2017 2:11am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
On ALL of our bikes we only run MX3S's. I am going to try the new MX12 on our sand tracks!
I'm also curious about the MX12. My MX11 still isn't worn out though. I have like 35 hours on it.
11/23/2017 3:27am
I am on my 2nd MX3S rear since I got my 2017 KX250F but I will most likely be switching to the MX12 in 2018. Almost everything here in Michigan is pretty soft except for a few tracks like Redbud but even there we several riders with MX11 this year.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/23/2017 3:34am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I'm also curious about the MX12. My MX11 still isn't worn out though. I have like 35 hours on it.
Just want to try the new tech, nothing wrong with the 11!
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/23/2017 7:07am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
How do the Dunlops wear around here? West craven sand, Jwtf medium, and halfmoon concrete?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/23/2017 8:16am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2017 8:21am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
How do the Dunlops wear around here? West craven sand, Jwtf medium, and halfmoon concrete?
Not bad at all, I just keep a good check on the pressure. My track is super deep and sandy/loam mix, except one end where we have added a lot of clay. That end will get baked and really blue grooved in the summer. I had a problem with fronts chunking off knobs until I realized it was from the pressure rising during long hot motos, was starting too high. MX3s do not like high pressure. We have run them at NCMP on the supercross track, hooks great. Didn't ride long enough to judge wear!

Had a new edge on one of the team bikes for Halfmoon last race, they cut it really deep so it still looked good after the race. JWTF isn't bad at all, except the concrete start, enough sand to keep it soft. West Craven is probably where we will test that new MX12!

A lot of people on the CCMX series run sand tires at all the tracks we race, the Michelin sand is VERY popular locally...

Oh, and back to the OP we run OEM wheels, run stock class. I am also a FASTER USA dealer, so we run their hubs and DID STX wheels on premium builds!
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/23/2017 8:22am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2017 8:24am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Not bad at all, I just keep a good check on the pressure. My track is super deep and sandy/loam mix, except one end where we...
Not bad at all, I just keep a good check on the pressure. My track is super deep and sandy/loam mix, except one end where we have added a lot of clay. That end will get baked and really blue grooved in the summer. I had a problem with fronts chunking off knobs until I realized it was from the pressure rising during long hot motos, was starting too high. MX3s do not like high pressure. We have run them at NCMP on the supercross track, hooks great. Didn't ride long enough to judge wear!

Had a new edge on one of the team bikes for Halfmoon last race, they cut it really deep so it still looked good after the race. JWTF isn't bad at all, except the concrete start, enough sand to keep it soft. West Craven is probably where we will test that new MX12!

A lot of people on the CCMX series run sand tires at all the tracks we race, the Michelin sand is VERY popular locally...

Oh, and back to the OP we run OEM wheels, run stock class. I am also a FASTER USA dealer, so we run their hubs and DID STX wheels on premium builds!
Thanks, I'm looking at getting tires now because of holiday sales. probably gonna go Michelin starcross, soft or medium. I mostly ride west craven and jwtf, I'm tempted to go full sand on the rear but don't want to limit myself, I'll probably pick one of those up next year as a spare.
And I'll keep you in mind, I've been looking at faster USA for a wheel set on stock hubs. They have really good deals on sets and parts like sprockets.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/23/2017 8:35am
The Michelin soft would be my choice. Yes Faster is a great company, nice people to deal with too!

Do you ever make it out to any of the local races? Would like to meet you sometime!
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
11/23/2017 12:05pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
The Michelin soft would be my choice. Yes Faster is a great company, nice people to deal with too! Do you ever make it out to...
The Michelin soft would be my choice. Yes Faster is a great company, nice people to deal with too!

Do you ever make it out to any of the local races? Would like to meet you sometime!
Very rarely, maybe I'll catch you at the practice tracks, I was out at cow ranch one time you were there. I'll be sure to come over if I see you around.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/23/2017 12:25pm
Please do, love meeting new people! Have met a few members! Let me know if you need anything MX related!

Post a reply to: Your wheel set combos

The Latest