Your first injury?

Edited Date/Time 9/28/2013 9:05pm
I unfortunately just got my first serious injury yesterday. I was praying in the emergency room that it was just going to be a bad bruising, but I got a hairline fracture in the center of my left collarbone, and I knocked the ligament loose keeping everything together up there. I'm not going to be able to get back on the bike for about 6 weeks. I consider myself lucky though, compared to what I've seen happen to other guys at the track, and opposed to completely breaking it. So what was your guys first injury? Unless your one of the lucky few that haven't had one, lol.
|
Grizz
9/27/2013 10:41am
If you race motocross, it's not if you break your collar bone, it's when.

I don't remember who said that or who told that to me but it is so true! I broke my left clavicle for the third time this summer.

My first injury was is 2010. Nose dive in a roller section and got slammed into the ground and knocked out. Collar bone snapped in half. Then is 2012 I was on my turn track and my front end hit a rock that threw me right onto my shoulder. Snapped collar bone exact same way in the exact same place. Then this year I broke both my feet in the same place because I ditched the bike in the air. Then I hit neutral on the lip of a table top and broke the same collar bone again but on the inside this time.

So I would say I've actually been pretty lucky to only have 4 injuries in 15 years of riding! Laughing
9/27/2013 10:42am
I got sideswiped during a sight lap at De Anza which resulted in a compound fracture on my pinky finger requiring surgery and a fair amount of rehab.
Skerby
9/27/2013 10:52am
Riding an RM-Z 450 back when I was like 13. Got bucked off of a small single, I would've been fine if that enormous bike hadn't landed directly on my elbow. Broke all three arn bones, and the joint looked like corn flakes lol. Never did get full range of motion back but it does everything I need it to.
motosmith
9/27/2013 10:56am
Broken hand and kicked the footpeg as hard as I could with no shin guard.

FYI, don't ever kick a footpeg with your shin. It hurts real bad.

The Shop

Parris
9/27/2013 11:22am
I broke my collarbone in 1979. The doc just put me in a strap thing for a couple of weeks. Now it look like it was replaced with the back leg of a hound dog. I have discomfort when I lift anything above my head, the pain will wake me up on occasion if I sleep on that side too much. and its caused a slight curve in my spine. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure the doc repairs your collarbone properly.
Barrett57
9/27/2013 11:37am
Broken left wrist, was going at walking speed, toppled over and that was it.

In the same year I went over the bars in 4th gear and I walked away unhurt, funny how the stupid little one's seem to get you.
9/27/2013 11:45am
brusied pride.
After yelling at my mini rider telling to clear some jumps i had enough and decided to show him how its done. so i bought a bike and hit the track. the veiw from the side line sure make things lok a lot easier than the are lol. After a few laps i was saying to myself damn im yelling at him to clear ths table top ect....... and i cant even do it. a few trips to the track and i got myself sorted out and was able to hold my head high again. that was until he steped up to 85's and out runs me on some sections so the pride is bruised again lol
40Plus_922mx
9/27/2013 12:01pm
at 13 years old I was Wheelying my 1980 XR100 down the drive way off Hamilton Trail in Trabuco Cyn. My friends got in my way, had to lay it down and crushed my left foot between the 74 Chevy van bumper and the engine case. Broke it.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
9/27/2013 12:46pm
My first injury was in 1999 at a Friday night race. I went over the bars then got ran over. 9 broken bones in my foot, broken scapula, dislocated shoulder, torn tendons in my thumb, knocked out with a concussion that lasted about 6-8 worth of no memory. I was out of action for about 3-4 months.
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
9/27/2013 1:31pm
About 3 months ago................
7 broken ribs
Broken scapula
Torn knee ligament
Shoulder is jacked up but not sure why yet
KO'd for about 10 minutes and still don't have a clue what happened!
JW381
9/27/2013 1:36pm
My first was a dislocated shoulder and a torn laibrum in 2006. Ended up popping it out two more times before I had to get it surgically repaired. Then I got whiskey throttle and smashed into a concrete barrier in Arenacross in 2009, I got away lucky with a badly bruised (originally thought to be broken) collarbone and a tore up knee.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
9/27/2013 1:36pm
Stage II shoulder separation. Very first ride on my brand new '97 KDX220. And totally stupid. Tip over and landed just right (or wrong) and that's it. Guess I have it easy compared to some...
JW381
9/27/2013 1:37pm
brusied pride. After yelling at my mini rider telling to clear some jumps i had enough and decided to show him how its done. so i...
brusied pride.
After yelling at my mini rider telling to clear some jumps i had enough and decided to show him how its done. so i bought a bike and hit the track. the veiw from the side line sure make things lok a lot easier than the are lol. After a few laps i was saying to myself damn im yelling at him to clear ths table top ect....... and i cant even do it. a few trips to the track and i got myself sorted out and was able to hold my head high again. that was until he steped up to 85's and out runs me on some sections so the pride is bruised again lol
Good for you for having the balls to share that story lol
peelout
9/27/2013 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2013 2:14pm
ran out of gas on the face of an 80' double. didn't wreck somehow, but took the handlebar to the gut and split my spleen into two pieces. went home to sleep it off (thought it was a broken rib), woke up in the most intense pain i've ever felt and went to the ER. halfway through the scan the doctor came running into the room and put me on a roller bed and was on the way to emergency surgery to remove my spleen. my abdomen cavity was completely filled with blood, i looked pregnant. they said if i had waited even 5 minutes longer, i would have fallen asleep and next to no chance of waking.

scary thought. thanks for bringing it up, dick

ps... i did it on a 125 (should make the strokers happy)
JW381
9/27/2013 2:06pm
peelout wrote:
ran out of gas on the face of an 80' double. didn't wreck somehow, but took the handlebar to the gut and split my spleen into...
ran out of gas on the face of an 80' double. didn't wreck somehow, but took the handlebar to the gut and split my spleen into two pieces. went home to sleep it off (thought it was a broken rib), woke up in the most intense pain i've ever felt and went to the ER. halfway through the scan the doctor came running into the room and put me on a roller bed and was on the way to emergency surgery to remove my spleen. my abdomen cavity was completely filled with blood, i looked pregnant. they said if i had waited even 5 minutes longer, i would have fallen asleep and next to no chance of waking.

That sucks, I'm assuming they had to take one or all of your balls out too? SadUnsure
downard254
9/27/2013 2:12pm
1985 Honda Hills, coming off the ski jump, once airborne I saw the the XR250 (yea, what business did it have running the 250B class) lying on it's side exactly where my front tire was to make contact with the ground. Anyway, loudest KLUNK I've ever heard, followed by pure silence up to the point I started to roll after clearing my handlebars. Long story short never land hands first from speed. You'll break a Navicular every time. Takes about 4 months in a cast.
danman
9/27/2013 2:13pm
I was never injured until I bought a 4-stroke. First injury - Left Tib/Fib spiral fracture. They didn't think I needed any hardware, so I was in a cast up to the old boys for 12 weeks! That sucked. One year later, shorted a double, shattered the ankle on the same leg. I was awarded with a plate and 9 screws, 8 of which are still in there! That was the last time I owned my own 4-stroke! My son has one, but I'm sticking to 2.
peelout
9/27/2013 2:13pm
peelout wrote:
ran out of gas on the face of an 80' double. didn't wreck somehow, but took the handlebar to the gut and split my spleen into...

JW381 wrote:
That sucks, I'm assuming they had to take one or all of your balls out too? SadUnsure
why do you think i don't have any little peelouts running around? my peanuts turned into peanut-butter bro
JW381
9/27/2013 2:20pm
peelout wrote:

JW381 wrote:
peelout wrote:
why do you think i don't have any little peelouts running around? my peanuts turned into peanut-butter bro
I thought you didn't have any little peelouts because you were still a virgin (finger banging with pants still on doesn't count in most states), but yeah that makes way more sense. Sorry about your peanut butter bro...
brimx153
9/27/2013 5:14pm
first injury was , ACL , MCL, PCL, broken knee cap , and to do an evern better job i pulled off a bit of bone just were the acl joins , doctor told me at the time if i had to try distroy my knee , i could nt have done a better job , 10 wk s in a cast before i even got to try rehab , took a long time , sitting hear at the moment waiting for a spin next week wooooo , broke two rib s 5 wks ago ,
MX45
9/27/2013 5:40pm
First injury was a nice gash in my thigh from the handlebars. Just split from the impact and I thought it was a bruise. No blood. 30 stitches and they let my dad do a few stitches.

First "real" injury, spiral fracture of tib/fib. 8 months with an external fixator on that one.
Preston412
9/27/2013 6:06pm
1988 Miami SX practice session, torn ACL and MCL. ACL reconstruction and 6 months therapy
1989 125/250 Outdoor National at Gatorback, tore it again
1999 a track near Arlington TX, broken left arm
2003 broke both wrist doing a stoppie on a GSXR 750

Other than those, just been lucky with sprains and bruises
JeepnMike
9/27/2013 6:11pm
mx510 wrote:
My first injury was in 1999 at a Friday night race. I went over the bars then got ran over. 9 broken bones in my foot...
My first injury was in 1999 at a Friday night race. I went over the bars then got ran over. 9 broken bones in my foot, broken scapula, dislocated shoulder, torn tendons in my thumb, knocked out with a concussion that lasted about 6-8 worth of no memory. I was out of action for about 3-4 months.
Friday nights at the barely can see the track SIR? I remember the shadows on the faces of the jumps and completely gambling if you were going to hit the ruts right or not. Oddly enough, that is where I broke my collarbone too.
9/27/2013 6:13pm
mx510 wrote:
My first injury was in 1999 at a Friday night race. I went over the bars then got ran over. 9 broken bones in my foot...
JeepnMike wrote:
Friday nights at the barely can see the track SIR? I remember the shadows on the faces of the jumps and completely gambling if you were...
Friday nights at the barely can see the track SIR? I remember the shadows on the faces of the jumps and completely gambling if you were going to hit the ruts right or not. Oddly enough, that is where I broke my collarbone too.
Yup that's where i broke my femur and neck too
Beast666
9/27/2013 6:33pm
My first injury was on my KX125 in 1980 when I was ejected over the bars and ended up with a spiral fracture of my left collarbone. I ended up off the bike for close to 10 weeks and my left arm ended up nearly 2" shorter than my right. This in turn ruined my golf game as I now have a mega snap slice.

I consider myself lucky as in well over 20 years of racing MX and Jet Skis that is the only bone that I ever have broken. Most of my injuries have been bruises, scrapes, sprains and dislocation of my left ankle.
visser62
9/27/2013 8:02pm
My first one was when I was 9 and I fell over through some whoops and the footpeg punctured my right leg. I could see the muscles.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
9/27/2013 8:23pm
First riding injury, 6 months after I got my first bike- 1980 KD80 (KD, not KX). Bottomed both inches of travel and front end swapped, pitched me off, and broken wrist.

First racing injury 82 KX80, very first race ever. First moto ever. First turn. Mid-pack mini-beginner start going into first turn, some kid slides out in front of me so I run into him (did not crash, just got blocked in). Another dumbass runs over my right ankle. I actually kept going and finished the moto, ankle hurt but adrenaline hid the pain. Got back to the truck, and taking that boot off was a painful bitch. Six weeks in a cast.

Post a reply to: Your first injury?

The Latest