Your Bike Mods - where to first?

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 9:40pm
Let's say we have Bob, a middle class rider. We clone him and now have two Bob's both with the exact same riding skill and fitness.

We buy both Bob-A and Bob-B a new bike off the showroom floor. Each Bob gets $3k to spend on mods.

Bob A gets a pipe, silencer, head ported, reeds or cams - basically he spends it all to boost his HP.

Bob B takes his bike to a suspension shop and says I have $3k to spend. He leaves the engine bone stock . Get's a revalve, new spring - a custom $3k setup.

After a season, who wins? Keeping in mind they are clones. In other words, what is more important? Is OEM suspension good enough today? If so, why don't the Pro's use it - and why do all good riders seem to first spend their money on suspension mods, and not so good riders go and put a new pipe on?

Maybe the ex mechanics and better riders on here can let us know what is more important, and who'd they think would win that season out of the two.
|
Kinetic1
10/28/2009 4:38am
It depends on Bob's skill level. If Bob is a novice the power mods will win. If he is decent the suspension mods will. I run into guys all the time that get their suspension done and show zero imrovement but they get a little more power and they are instantly faster. A novice guy generally goes the speed he goes regardless of what the bike feels like. He is slow in the turns and just pins it on the sections that are smooth. More hp = more speed. But the intermediate and up guys will push the bike to the limit of control which is dictated by suspension. Just my opinion and what I have seen over the years.
WSR
10/28/2009 4:46am
Suspension is always better money spent, it makes the average guy faster.
My dad always said you don't need engine mods unless you can hold the bike wide open through every section of the track.
10/28/2009 4:57am
Kinetic1 wrote:
It depends on Bob's skill level. If Bob is a novice the power mods will win. If he is decent the suspension mods will. I run...
It depends on Bob's skill level. If Bob is a novice the power mods will win. If he is decent the suspension mods will. I run into guys all the time that get their suspension done and show zero imrovement but they get a little more power and they are instantly faster. A novice guy generally goes the speed he goes regardless of what the bike feels like. He is slow in the turns and just pins it on the sections that are smooth. More hp = more speed. But the intermediate and up guys will push the bike to the limit of control which is dictated by suspension. Just my opinion and what I have seen over the years.
Agreed. As per example of Forslyk. The novice guys or the one's who could ride any suspension and think they are good, didn't notice anything. The faster the rider, the better the feedback. Barry Hawk loved it and gave it to all his teammates, as well Brandon Haas said it helped him with arm pump. But then I get some beginner saying it didn't work, at first it made me mad, because I knew it did. But then realized some people just can't push their suspension to feel it. Thus, I agree with Kinetic, it is depending on how much the guy can push his suspension. But if he can push his suspension hard, the motor unless it is a total pooch, the rider can ride it fast no matter what. They will push harder into corners, and not let the motor come off the power as much. So in that case, the suspension will help them run it even faster. The slow rider, won't change a bit, because his stock suspension was good in his mind.

The Shop

DoctorJD
10/28/2009 5:20am
250F: Engine mods wins.
450F: Suspension wins.

I simply using myself as an example. If my cloned self was on a hopped-up 250F and I was on a stocker, the engine mods would be the difference considering I weigh 175-180lbs. On a 450F, I can't use all of the power on the stock bike, so suspension would be the difference.
BobbyM
10/28/2009 5:24am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
Let's say we have Bob, a middle class rider. We clone him and now have two Bob's both with the exact same riding skill and fitness...
Let's say we have Bob, a middle class rider. We clone him and now have two Bob's both with the exact same riding skill and fitness.

We buy both Bob-A and Bob-B a new bike off the showroom floor. Each Bob gets $3k to spend on mods.

Bob A gets a pipe, silencer, head ported, reeds or cams - basically he spends it all to boost his HP.

Bob B takes his bike to a suspension shop and says I have $3k to spend. He leaves the engine bone stock . Get's a revalve, new spring - a custom $3k setup.

After a season, who wins? Keeping in mind they are clones. In other words, what is more important? Is OEM suspension good enough today? If so, why don't the Pro's use it - and why do all good riders seem to first spend their money on suspension mods, and not so good riders go and put a new pipe on?

Maybe the ex mechanics and better riders on here can let us know what is more important, and who'd they think would win that season out of the two.
bob C saves his money on all that shit and buys a new tire every 2 races.
man i remember back in the day there was nuthin like the feeling of a new knobby on the back of my scooter. any cash left over goes to booze, babes and bong hits
BuDtySer1
10/28/2009 5:27am
WSR wrote:
Suspension is always better money spent, it makes the average guy faster. My dad always said you don't need engine mods unless you can hold the...
Suspension is always better money spent, it makes the average guy faster.
My dad always said you don't need engine mods unless you can hold the bike wide open through every section of the track.
Ha.... if I had a nickle for every time my dad told me that. ....well I guess I could've bought those engine mods! Damn it!Grinning
crowe176
10/28/2009 5:44am
Bob C, who spends his 3k on rain X, midget hookers and a half key of blow.
huck
10/28/2009 6:19am
Bob D takes 1,000 and hires a pro rider to train him for a couple days and beats the shit out of the other "bob's"....
Kinetic1
10/28/2009 6:21am
Bob m .... well we know the story here.
huck
10/28/2009 6:35am
crowe176 wrote:
[img]https://www.funny-games.biz/images/pictures/1258-sponge-bob-boobies.jpg[/img]
That's Bob DD
10/28/2009 7:05am
I'd say bob A might pass with the worked out engine and a few adjustments with the clickers, again depending on the rider but I would personally choose suspension over engine.

"Is OEM suspension good enough today?"
No. OEM engines are fine as is with an exception of jetting. A few changes in gearing, spot on jetting, and a built suspension should get you by.

$3k is enough to get the best of both worlds
Shawn142
10/28/2009 7:18am
That's the wonderful thing about MX, no matter how much money you dump in your bike and rig a C rider is still a C rider. In the beginning stages the bike makes VERY little difference. Get the suspension setup for your size so it at least handles in the ballpark of where it should, then go work with a local pro and get better. Even on a 250F there isn't much need to waste thousands on mods unless you're going to race amateur nationals in the B or A classes.
Cygnus
10/28/2009 7:20am
I sure am glad I don't live in Africa. A revalve with springs goes for 500.00 here in the US.
lumpy790
10/28/2009 7:42am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2009 7:42am
Properly working suspension instills confidence allowing the rider to push harder....go faster.......something HP does not.
jasonward73
10/28/2009 8:04am
huck wrote:
Bob D takes 1,000 and hires a pro rider to train him for a couple days and beats the shit out of the other "bob's"....
x2! Take the money and hire a trainer that can not only teach you proper riding technique and get you on a proper training/nutrition program but will also be able to teach you how to properly setup you suspension.

Head to Rynoland for a bootcamp!
fcr
10/28/2009 8:30am
Suspension. If Bob A or B wants to modify his stock bike, good . Both will have fun and that is what it is all about. I asked this question as a noob over at the country club in about 03 and got similar answers from the same dilweeds here. I just like moto and love the fact I can have a bike that I can trick out now. I did the "save the money for tires and gas" as a kid.
txmxer
10/28/2009 8:37am
huck wrote:
x2! Take the money and hire a trainer that can not only teach you proper riding technique and get you on a proper training/nutrition program but...
x2! Take the money and hire a trainer that can not only teach you proper riding technique and get you on a proper training/nutrition program but will also be able to teach you how to properly setup you suspension.

Head to Rynoland for a bootcamp!
I'm on board here. If conditioning is an issue at all, that's the place to start.
jasonward73
10/28/2009 9:09am
I would think conditioning, riding technique, and basic bike setup would be an issue for anyone that is not a professional. Even some "professionals" would benefit more from this investment than a few extra hp between their legs. If you can't hold onto it then you can't use it.

10/28/2009 9:22am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
Let's say we have Bob, a middle class rider. We clone him and now have two Bob's both with the exact same riding skill and fitness...

it would depend on riding level of the Bobs'.

BUT, if they where on 450's, (where the fuck did someone come up with 2T and 4T, wtf is T? shouldnt it be 2S and 4S?) I would say the guy that got the suspension done and it wouldnt cost 3k, maybe $500 tops.

Noone but the top 10~15% can use all that a 450 has. You might think you have the throttle to the stops, but majority dont. Motor is a none issue these days. Give him suspension setup for him and he wins hands down.
Nerd
10/28/2009 9:28am

Bob-C wins, because he focused on training and improving his skill level because you'd have to be a pretty good Intermediate (B rider) to really need to spend $3000 on motorcycle mods.

Then, afterward, Bob-C (now in much better shape) not only gets to keep the $3000, but he gets the girl.

Smile

As for the OEM suspension, make sure you check out an interview that will be posted shortly at www.racerxonline.com
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/28/2009 9:34am
The smart Bob gets weight appropriate springs, changes the suspension oil, adjust his clicker, buys good tires and a few jets saves 2300 and goes just as fast as both bobs.

IMO unless youre a fast b rider, motor mods are a waste, there is only about 3 people that post here that can even use all the power of a stock 4 stroke.
Todays suspension is good off the shelf, good enough for 75% of most riders. An oil change and the right spring rate will work wonders.

txmxer
10/28/2009 9:39am
it would depend on riding level of the Bobs'. BUT, if they where on 450's, (where the fuck did someone come up with 2T and 4T...
it would depend on riding level of the Bobs'.

BUT, if they where on 450's, (where the fuck did someone come up with 2T and 4T, wtf is T? shouldnt it be 2S and 4S?) I would say the guy that got the suspension done and it wouldnt cost 3k, maybe $500 tops.

Noone but the top 10~15% can use all that a 450 has. You might think you have the throttle to the stops, but majority dont. Motor is a none issue these days. Give him suspension setup for him and he wins hands down.
That's "Troke" (Trademark Void Main)...

crf250pilot
10/28/2009 9:52am
My opinion on the original topic is that if the rider is the right weight for the oem springs then i'd suggest dialing in the stock suspension, which is so good these days anyways, and put my money into horsepower for a good start especially if riding in a small bore class.
WhKnuckle
10/28/2009 6:17pm
Use that $3K to hire a hooker to wait for him after every race, and he gets everything on the menu if he wins.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
10/28/2009 6:21pm
What about Bob F....who spends his $3k on anodized bits and sticker packs?
fencepost
10/28/2009 7:43pm
crowe176 wrote:
[img]https://www.funny-games.biz/images/pictures/1258-sponge-bob-boobies.jpg[/img]
spongebob doopy tits

Post a reply to: Your Bike Mods - where to first?

The Latest