You don't race so you don't know..

Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 5:12pm
It seems like every time there is an incident during the races on the weekends or with a racer, there is always some posters who throw out the "do you even race?" or "You can tell who's never thrown their leg over a bike" comments when somebody throws out there opinion. While some of people's posts on here seem to be from another planet, others seem to be pretty legit regardless if the person rides, races or just drinks beer on the couch on Saturdays (like myself). As a person who no longer rides, and honestly never raced when I did ride due to a variety of reasons, why do us "non-racers" opinions/insight not matter? I don't think Jeanie Carmichael, Colleen Milsaps or Aldon baker can throw their leg over a bike and lay down laps faster than the riders that they coach, but they have rider wins under their belts. I don't think Mike Mcarthy or Gary Kubiak can play better football than their players but they know how to coach their players to win. So tell me, why do the hardcore moto posters on here feel like you need to ride or race to know what you're talking about when it comes to opinions and insight on riders?
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/1/2016 9:15am
Bro, does your girlfriend even race?
huck
3/1/2016 9:16am
Do you even lift, Bro?
hillbilly
To get a rise out of a member and get said member to waste time typing out a super long paragraph of big words most of us cant read anyways.
early wrote:
Bro, does your girlfriend even race?
I'd throw her on a bike but she'd probably whiskey throttle. Reason why I'm really pushing the fact for her to get on the 110.

But my girlfriend who is a casual fan said that Stewart did nothing wrong last weekend while she was cooking in the kitchen.

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/1/2016 9:17am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 9:18am
I agree with you for the most part but I think part of the reason why people say it is because once that gate drops your brain has a tendency to work different for some reason. I don't know if its the increase in adrenaline or testosterone or the max heart rate or what that does it but things are different when you're racing. Even when you're out at the local race on Sunday in some spode class telling yourself I'm just here to have fun and don't care what place I get, etc... theres some switch that gets flipped when that gate drops.

So when somebody armchair quarterbacks it with "__ shouldn't have done __" somebody might say what you're referring to not necessarily defend the action but to shed light on why that decision was made by the rider.
3/1/2016 9:18am
hillbilly wrote:
To get a rise out of a member and get said member to waste time typing out a super long paragraph of big words most of...
To get a rise out of a member and get said member to waste time typing out a super long paragraph of big words most of us cant read anyways.
I feel the same way about 95% of your posts, but when I finally crack the hillbilly code, you post some pretty informative shit. Beer for you.
500guy
3/1/2016 9:18am
Message boards are as much of a contest as the actual race, Many who race and ride think they have some inherited knowledge gained just by participating and have no clue what it takes to become successful.

You don't race or you couldn't even qualify for WMX is just another way of trying to win a contest that simply is not available to win.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
3/1/2016 9:19am
If you haven't raced, its hard to understand just how quickly things happen on a race track. Or how it can be more difficult than one would think to not make a mistake. ie. Dunge hitting Stew at A1. or Marv's split second decision to try to triple after Stew got a little too close for comfort in the corner before.

3/1/2016 9:23am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 9:24am
bh84 wrote:
If you haven't raced, its hard to understand just how quickly things happen on a race track. Or how it can be more difficult than one...
If you haven't raced, its hard to understand just how quickly things happen on a race track. Or how it can be more difficult than one would think to not make a mistake. ie. Dunge hitting Stew at A1. or Marv's split second decision to try to triple after Stew got a little too close for comfort in the corner before.

I may not have the personal experience as some of the people here do but I have a decently good idea of how fast things can change on the track. I've been around the sport for 13+ years and had my fair share of riding years. Things happen fast during a backyard moto, I can imagine how fast things happen at this level. But I feel like only a very small percentage of people on here know exactly how fast things change at this level. Doesn't necessarily mean some views are far off. But I do agree with what you're saying as well as 731's post.
Ted722
3/1/2016 9:26am
All right ButteryWaffles, look at this picture. The only clue is it's the 19th lap. How can you tell who has been leading?

Hut
3/1/2016 9:27am
bh84 wrote:
If you haven't raced, its hard to understand just how quickly things happen on a race track. Or how it can be more difficult than one...

That is so cool that you know what it's like to race at Bubba's level.
Trav138
3/1/2016 9:27am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 9:28am
You must be a hipster! ha
Hut
3/1/2016 9:29am
Oh no another fruity pants thread in the making.... Laughing
JRMX59
3/1/2016 9:29am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 10:11am
Watching a bunch of races and casual riding teaches you about the sport to have some knowledge/insight sure. But racing mx, flat rack, speedway, desert, hare scrambles, road racing gives you another level of knowledge. Racing different displacement bikes, multiple classes and climbing the ladder, C B A pro does too. Hell being broke off and coming back adds too it. More expierience more perspective.
3/1/2016 9:32am
Ted722 wrote:
All right ButteryWaffles, look at this picture. The only clue is it's the 19th lap. How can you tell who has been leading? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/01/126255/s1200_red_bull_commercial.jpg[/img]
All right ButteryWaffles, look at this picture. The only clue is it's the 19th lap. How can you tell who has been leading?

#25. How do I know? I watch every Saturday night and I know how to read on the forums. What does this have to do with anything I've said? Is there a secret racing code that's hidden here that only a hardcore racer will understand?
Hut
3/1/2016 9:33am
#25. How do I know? I watch every Saturday night and I know how to read on the forums. What does this have to do with...
#25. How do I know? I watch every Saturday night and I know how to read on the forums. What does this have to do with anything I've said? Is there a secret racing code that's hidden here that only a hardcore racer will understand?
Only an expert can see how much crud is stuck on a piece of plastic bro
3/1/2016 9:35am
Hut wrote:
Shame on me. Guess I should just give up and move on to golf.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
3/1/2016 9:40am
I may not have the personal experience as some of the people here do but I have a decently good idea of how fast things can...
I may not have the personal experience as some of the people here do but I have a decently good idea of how fast things can change on the track. I've been around the sport for 13+ years and had my fair share of riding years. Things happen fast during a backyard moto, I can imagine how fast things happen at this level. But I feel like only a very small percentage of people on here know exactly how fast things change at this level. Doesn't necessarily mean some views are far off. But I do agree with what you're saying as well as 731's post.
I agree that being a long time fan does provide some insight. But having been the guy who makes that mistake more than once really puts things into perspective. Just last year I was behind a friend on the last lap trying to make a pass, he made the split second decision to roll a table in order to protect the inside better. I was behind him, planning to jump the table and then sneak by up the inside. Long story short, I put my front tire in his back before I even knew what had happened.

His buddies that were there were waiting for me at my pit after the race, telling me I was a POS and a dirty rider and shouldnt be on the track. Until he came over and told them it was as much his fault as mine, shook my hand and told them to go back to his pit.

They didn't understand how fast things happen, so they thought I'd basically tried to kill him.
TeamGreen
3/1/2016 9:44am
Hut wrote:
Shame on me. Guess I should just give up and move on to golf.
No, but...

We've got a lot of people arguing about something that is "written"...

That rule says, "Hold your line".

Then there's his: Marvin -OWNED- it. He came out and said HOW HE "did this". Man, that kid is one cool dude.
And...then...we've got James Stewart. How many times has he had to deal with being passed? He held his line and GOT OUT OF THE WAY...in the Whoops! I get a kick out of those that imply that James should have backed off and pulled over. This is James...pure racer at heart. Some of these "suggestions" ARE NOT AN OPTION in his mind.

All this bickering about a simple racing situation that many racers DO see differently than most "observers" is your point, I believe. I will go with those that've "been there" on this one. In-fact, I'll go with Tim Ferry on this.
hillbilly
3/1/2016 9:46am
hillbilly wrote:
To get a rise out of a member and get said member to waste time typing out a super long paragraph of big words most of...
I feel the same way about 95% of your posts, but when I finally crack the hillbilly code, you post some pretty informative shit. Beer for...
I feel the same way about 95% of your posts, but when I finally crack the hillbilly code, you post some pretty informative shit. Beer for you.
I guess most that have been on since freshdirt got use to me.

16 yrs ,damn,

Swig of shine back at ya.
Ted722
3/1/2016 9:46am
Ted722 wrote:
All right ButteryWaffles, look at this picture. The only clue is it's the 19th lap. How can you tell who has been leading? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/01/126255/s1200_red_bull_commercial.jpg[/img]

#25. How do I know? I watch every Saturday night and I know how to read on the forums. What does this have to do with...
No, just trying to have fun. I'm going with the rider with the clean number plate.

This is a great sport and a fun forum. Blows me away the cycles spent on certain topics.

The most recent one (above), I know for sure racers know what it's like to come up on lappers (or riders on split gates). You think you know what they're going to do, but it's a bit of a leap of faith when trying to get around them (if they don't know you're lapping them). There's no blue flags in amateur racing.

The GoPro footage over the last few years has blown me away. Looking forward to seeing the most recent footage.
Hut
3/1/2016 9:47am
TeamGreen wrote:
No, but... We've got a lot of people arguing about something that is "written"... That rule says, "Hold your line". Then there's his: Marvin -OWNED- it...
No, but...

We've got a lot of people arguing about something that is "written"...

That rule says, "Hold your line".

Then there's his: Marvin -OWNED- it. He came out and said HOW HE "did this". Man, that kid is one cool dude.
And...then...we've got James Stewart. How many times has he had to deal with being passed? He held his line and GOT OUT OF THE WAY...in the Whoops! I get a kick out of those that imply that James should have backed off and pulled over. This is James...pure racer at heart. Some of these "suggestions" ARE NOT AN OPTION in his mind.

All this bickering about a simple racing situation that many racers DO see differently than most "observers" is your point, I believe. I will go with those that've "been there" on this one. In-fact, I'll go with Tim Ferry on this.
Sorry to ask at this point, but what did Tim Ferry say about it?
3/1/2016 9:52am
Ted722 wrote:
No, just trying to have fun. I'm going with the rider with the clean number plate. This is a great sport and a fun forum. Blows...
No, just trying to have fun. I'm going with the rider with the clean number plate.

This is a great sport and a fun forum. Blows me away the cycles spent on certain topics.

The most recent one (above), I know for sure racers know what it's like to come up on lappers (or riders on split gates). You think you know what they're going to do, but it's a bit of a leap of faith when trying to get around them (if they don't know you're lapping them). There's no blue flags in amateur racing.

The GoPro footage over the last few years has blown me away. Looking forward to seeing the most recent footage.
I figured it was just a fun post haha. I can relate to lappers on a 4 wheel level. Our local indoor karting track, there's always people who are way off lap times and show no regard to the blue flag. Although it is all for fun, it gets pretty competitive between my older brother and I show I get frustrated and try to dive on the inside of every lapper as fast as I can and it usually ends up with one or both of us into the wall.
motogrady
3/1/2016 10:01am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 10:01am
I dunno, it's kinda like sex.
Till you actually do it................
hvaughn88
3/1/2016 10:05am
motogrady wrote:
I dunno, it's kinda like sex.
Till you actually do it................
You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it? haha
motogrady
3/1/2016 10:08am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2016 10:09am
And thinking about it, there is maybe another level above actually running an organized race or 2.

And that is running a complete series, where points are tallied at the end if the year at a banquet or such.

Things happen in those situations, that, unless you've been there, it's hard to see or understand.

And before anyone feels left out, most every AMA District has a series for any age group.
Its not too late, only thing stopping anyone, is the same thing that stopped them at 19.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/1/2016 10:09am
731chopper wrote:
I agree with you for the most part but I think part of the reason why people say it is because once that gate drops your...
I agree with you for the most part but I think part of the reason why people say it is because once that gate drops your brain has a tendency to work different for some reason. I don't know if its the increase in adrenaline or testosterone or the max heart rate or what that does it but things are different when you're racing. Even when you're out at the local race on Sunday in some spode class telling yourself I'm just here to have fun and don't care what place I get, etc... theres some switch that gets flipped when that gate drops.

So when somebody armchair quarterbacks it with "__ shouldn't have done __" somebody might say what you're referring to not necessarily defend the action but to shed light on why that decision was made by the rider.
Haha things really do change when the gate drops. I spent a year and a half off the bike due to a back injury and just started riding again middle of January. I was able to ride 3 times and decided to race last Sunday the 21st. The entire week leading up to race day I kept telling myself, "I don't care how I do, I just want to get time on the bike and go home safe." I had that same mentality in the morning of race day until I got to the gate. As soon as I rolled my bike on to the starting pad, it was on! Race mode kicked in and I holeshotted both motos and went 1-1 in the +25 Open class even after a small tip over on lap 2 of the first moto. Instead of just cruising like I said I would I ended up winning the first moto by 13 seconds and the second moto I won by 39 seconds. Once you get behind the gate everything else is out the window.
RbR
3/1/2016 10:10am
Ted722 wrote:

Suzuki's new Marketing piece for the uninformed?

Post a reply to: You don't race so you don't know..

The Latest