YZ250 plastics

race
Was planning on updating the plastic on my 09 YZ250 to the new 2015 / 2016 look ....but after checking out a 2016, I noticed how much bigger the global spec silencer is and how much wider the side panel is on that side of the bike to accommodate it. I've heard of various little issues here and there but don't recall anyone mentioning this.

Has anyone updated an older YZ250 to the new plastic and used the older, smaller silencer or even a shorty? Does it look odd with the wider side panel on that side? It must leave a bit of a gap between the side panel and the silencer? Do you notice or feel like the bike is wider back there than with the old plastic?

Can't find the proper angles or pics to illustrate but a view from above and behind on both bikes should show the differences.

|
Mm471
6/21/2016 7:22pm
My 2005 updated to 16 seems like the new plastic is narrower and better for a shorty in my opinion
bgpn35
6/21/2016 7:33pm

This is my 05 I converted and it has the titanium 2 silencer. There isn't much of a gap between the plastic and silencer.I can take more pics tomorrow if you like.
6/21/2016 10:48pm
race wrote:
Was planning on updating the plastic on my 09 YZ250 to the new 2015 / 2016 look ....but after checking out a 2016, I noticed how...
Was planning on updating the plastic on my 09 YZ250 to the new 2015 / 2016 look ....but after checking out a 2016, I noticed how much bigger the global spec silencer is and how much wider the side panel is on that side of the bike to accommodate it. I've heard of various little issues here and there but don't recall anyone mentioning this.

Has anyone updated an older YZ250 to the new plastic and used the older, smaller silencer or even a shorty? Does it look odd with the wider side panel on that side? It must leave a bit of a gap between the side panel and the silencer? Do you notice or feel like the bike is wider back there than with the old plastic?

Can't find the proper angles or pics to illustrate but a view from above and behind on both bikes should show the differences.

I upgraded my 08. I had a PC Shorty, looked & fitted well. Plastics bolt straight up no problem. If you buy an OEM front fender, you'll have to drill new holes because Yamaha changed the bottom clamp slightly. Also the front number plate will need a bit of adjustment to fit snugly. Easy enough job though. I prefer the newer look rather than the UFO restyle kit.
6/22/2016 12:51am
I just added the '16 plastics on my '14 with a PC shorty, it looks great!!! Rocky mountian sells the conversion kit that contains all OEM plastic including airbox. It fits perfectly and I swear it shaved at least a 1,000th of a second off my lap times Smile

The Shop

cwtoyota
6/22/2016 8:14am
A few friends have the newer bikes, or at least the newer plastic. It looks great with a Bills silencer on my buddy's 2013.

I have a UFO restyle kit on one bike (2010 YZ250). Those are made for the massive silencers, but it doesn't look bad with the PC304 can.

My other two YZ's have stock panels (2002 YZ250) and I trimmed the stock shaped panels on my 2011 YZ125.

There are problems with all three plastic options for the YZs in my opinion:

I don't like the new 2015+ airbox. It covers the part of the subframe that I grab to hip the bike onto my stand. If you grab the rear fender it won't bother you at all. The other airbox issue is that your boots rub that new airbox pretty heavily because it hangs down lower and makes the bike wider. It's not a comfort issue, but the airbox looks like crap pretty fast and the shape doesn't allow graphics to adhere because it isn't a flat surface.

The UFO restyle kit has a really high rear fender. Everyone I know who has the UFO kit kicks it with their boot when they get on and off of the bike. They always have boot marks.

The original 2002-2014 stuff looks ancient. Looking at my poor old 2002 YZ250 next to my 2010 with the UFO fender it looks like the fender is bent down or something is wrong with the subframe.

race
6/22/2016 9:58am
I guess its that wide, flat ridge - see bgpn35's pic - that made me wonder about the width.

Isn't there an option where you don't have to upgrade the air box?

6/22/2016 10:13am
race wrote:
I guess its that wide, flat ridge - see bgpn35's pic - that made me wonder about the width. Isn't there an option where you don't...
I guess its that wide, flat ridge - see bgpn35's pic - that made me wonder about the width.

Isn't there an option where you don't have to upgrade the air box?

Yes, the UFO kit uses the stock older airbox.
PDiddy241
6/22/2016 10:35am
Here's the stock 2016 silencer:

And the PC Standard length silencer (which is noticeably shorter than stock but not as short as a short):

And the PC silencer with the number plate:

6/24/2016 5:15pm
cwtoyota wrote:
A few friends have the newer bikes, or at least the newer plastic. It looks great with a Bills silencer on my buddy's 2013. I have...
A few friends have the newer bikes, or at least the newer plastic. It looks great with a Bills silencer on my buddy's 2013.

I have a UFO restyle kit on one bike (2010 YZ250). Those are made for the massive silencers, but it doesn't look bad with the PC304 can.

My other two YZ's have stock panels (2002 YZ250) and I trimmed the stock shaped panels on my 2011 YZ125.

There are problems with all three plastic options for the YZs in my opinion:

I don't like the new 2015+ airbox. It covers the part of the subframe that I grab to hip the bike onto my stand. If you grab the rear fender it won't bother you at all. The other airbox issue is that your boots rub that new airbox pretty heavily because it hangs down lower and makes the bike wider. It's not a comfort issue, but the airbox looks like crap pretty fast and the shape doesn't allow graphics to adhere because it isn't a flat surface.

The UFO restyle kit has a really high rear fender. Everyone I know who has the UFO kit kicks it with their boot when they get on and off of the bike. They always have boot marks.

The original 2002-2014 stuff looks ancient. Looking at my poor old 2002 YZ250 next to my 2010 with the UFO fender it looks like the fender is bent down or something is wrong with the subframe.

Question for ya CW. You seem to know all things two stroke YZ Smile
I am looking at micro fiche to order a new piston for my '05 yz125. It's giving me 4 different options for a piston.
Purple,green orange and red...How do I know which one I need? I hate to pull it apart prior to ordering.Also, do you recommend OEM or an aftermarket kit? It's completely stock the piston, pretty low hour bike..
thanks in advance.
Josh422
6/24/2016 5:20pm
Question for ya CW. You seem to know all things two stroke YZ :) I am looking at micro fiche to order a new piston for...
I am looking at micro fiche to order a new piston for my '05 yz125. It's giving me 4 different options for a piston.
Purple,green orange and red...How do I know which one I need? I hate to pull it apart prior to ordering.Also, do you recommend OEM or an aftermarket kit? It's completely stock the piston, pretty low hour bike..
thanks in advance.
A (red) 2.61228-2.61240 in (66.352-66.355mm)
B (orange) 2.61244-2.61256 in (66.356-66.359mm)
C (green) 2.61260-2.61272 in (66.360-66.363mm)
D (purple) 2.61276-2.61287 in (66.364-66.367mm)
6/24/2016 5:21pm
This is my 2011. This was the first year for the global spec and big silencer. The side planel is bigger and the two times I've ordered number graphics it never fit right. I sent N-Style a picture of how it didn't fit and they sent me a correct piece right away. Just something to be aware of if you do graphics. Not the best picture to show a silencer and the panel it it's the only one I have on my phone currently

Josh422
6/24/2016 5:37pm
Question for ya CW. You seem to know all things two stroke YZ :) I am looking at micro fiche to order a new piston for...
thanks in advance.
Josh422 wrote:
cwtoyota
6/24/2016 5:57pm
thanks in advance.
Josh422 wrote:
Josh422 has done the leg work for you on the sizes. If it's your first piston and the bike is low hours, you can check for a black ink-stamped letter on the back or the side of the cylinder casting. It might be just above the reed cage. It will be one of those four letters corresponding to the piston size. For example, you are supposed to order a B piston for a cylinder stamped B and so on assuming zero cylinder wear.

Honestly on a used cylinder it's not that important. Most people just run the D piston because the cylinder wears a bit over time and it will actually fit the used cylinder a little better. If you have access to a bore micrometer or know a machinist, you can measure the actual bore diameter when you pull the cylinder off.

Bringing up the question of which piston is best can get you a lot of opinions and a lot of heated arguments. Kind of like which pre-mix oil and which pre-mix ratio does. People get too heated over which is best when in reality it depends on how you ride and what conditions you ride in. If you do a search for either of those topics you'll find all the anecdotal information and arguments from authority you ever wanted to read.

In my case I run an aftermarket Wiseco forged piston in my YZ125 and both of my YZ250. Wossner also make an excellent forged piston for the YZ's. The advantage to the forged piston is that they are less prone to cracking. The disadvantage is that they make more noise when they are cold and you have to warm up the bike before you ride it.

OEM pistons are just fine.
6/25/2016 8:43am
cwtoyota wrote:
Josh422 has done the leg work for you on the sizes. If it's your first piston and the bike is low hours, you can check for...
Josh422 has done the leg work for you on the sizes. If it's your first piston and the bike is low hours, you can check for a black ink-stamped letter on the back or the side of the cylinder casting. It might be just above the reed cage. It will be one of those four letters corresponding to the piston size. For example, you are supposed to order a B piston for a cylinder stamped B and so on assuming zero cylinder wear.

Honestly on a used cylinder it's not that important. Most people just run the D piston because the cylinder wears a bit over time and it will actually fit the used cylinder a little better. If you have access to a bore micrometer or know a machinist, you can measure the actual bore diameter when you pull the cylinder off.

Bringing up the question of which piston is best can get you a lot of opinions and a lot of heated arguments. Kind of like which pre-mix oil and which pre-mix ratio does. People get too heated over which is best when in reality it depends on how you ride and what conditions you ride in. If you do a search for either of those topics you'll find all the anecdotal information and arguments from authority you ever wanted to read.

In my case I run an aftermarket Wiseco forged piston in my YZ125 and both of my YZ250. Wossner also make an excellent forged piston for the YZ's. The advantage to the forged piston is that they are less prone to cracking. The disadvantage is that they make more noise when they are cold and you have to warm up the bike before you ride it.

OEM pistons are just fine.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Post a reply to: YZ250 plastics

The Latest