YZ250 electrical issue, won't rev up.

Jakes Dad
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 12:51pm
Motor has been running well, just finished an area LLQ a couple weeks ago and following weekend race at Dade City. He got into a 1st turn pileup and 2 corners later pulled off the motor wouldn't rev and misfiring. Runs good and clean down low and soon as it gets into the power stuttering and falling off. It's not popping (out the pipe) or bogging down just doesn't rev up. Pulled the cylinder off powervalve cover and checked everything moves free. Jake knows when the powervalve screws up, the pin that sets in the springs on main shaft fell out a couple months ago. Took carb off removed float checked needle and all jets clean and clear. Checked the kill switch (unplugged) no change. Spark plug cap is tight and secure. The one issue that has me worried is I found some small metal filings on the magnetic pickup and inside the flywheel. The weekend after the LLQ we found a snapped off cylinder stud on the front left. I had to drill and tap because I broke 2 extractors, in this process the end of the drill bit broke off, the reason I know along with the small amount of filings was a tiny piece of the gold titanium bit stuck inside the flywheel about the size of sunflower seed. I had no idea this happened until I found the evidence and then found my cordless drill with the bit still inside it, you could see where half of the end of the bit was missing. The leading edge of the magnet on the flywheel has a couple small dings on it where it may have been pinched between the pickup and the magnet. Don't want to spend $500 on a stator and flywheel if there's a possibility I'm missing something.
|
Jakes Dad
6/1/2015 5:32pm
Shit can a mod move this to the race shop, didn't realize I posted this here.
6/1/2015 5:43pm
Check the silencer for a broken core, had this happen to me and thought it was electrical. Silencer core broke in a pileup and it basically plugged up the exhaust not allowing engine to rev.

P.S. You should have known! -Rondo Talbot
kijen
6/1/2015 5:53pm
Should be plenty of stator and flywheels on ebay, that is one of the best things about the yz, lots of parts. Did you check all of the harnesses for damages, coil etc...
Yam_YZ
6/1/2015 5:53pm
My 97 silencer broke too and had a similar problem. It was like it was hitting the rev limiter early. I put a new ignition module on it and didn't fix it. Took it the the dealer and they replaced just about all the electrical, including the stator. The pipe inside the silencer at the inlet of the silencer broke and fell down just enough to restrict the exhaust at higher rpm.

The Shop

Jakes Dad
6/1/2015 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 6:23pm
Why I posted this up, never would have thought of that will check asap.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/1/2015 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 6:41pm
Look at it this way, if it happen right after the pile up then its about 99% chance that its crash related,so a stator or rotor going bad is doubtful unless there was damage to the cover and you should be able to see if it had damage. A plugged and or broken silencer core would be the first on my list but look for signs of damage from the crash and then use process of elimination.You have determined that its electrical without looking at the most obvious things first that could come from a crash or pile up and going from there. Pulling the cylinder and such is just complicating the process because internal engine damage from a cash is a pretty looooong shot.
Jakes Dad
6/4/2015 12:32pm
Wow who would have thunk it, it was the silencer core. Packing was jammed up about 2" from outlet.

Thanks guys!!
6/4/2015 12:39pm
Do you owe anyone any money?
Does it only rev to 5000rpm?
I f so, I might have a solution..... lol j/k man

Had that happen once myself.
RMT
6/4/2015 12:40pm
Who says Vital is a bunch of haters hating. Glad your back up and running.
Camp332
6/4/2015 12:40pm
Phew! That was an easy fix.

Here I was thinking Don Leib, and his boys got to your ECU and lowered your max RPM.

Too soon?

Just kidding Bro's
6/4/2015 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 12:51pm
Check the silencer for a broken core, had this happen to me and thought it was electrical. Silencer core broke in a pileup and it basically...
Check the silencer for a broken core, had this happen to me and thought it was electrical. Silencer core broke in a pileup and it basically plugged up the exhaust not allowing engine to rev.

P.S. You should have known! -Rondo Talbot
Sometimes they just break from fatigue and sometimes a hard impact will do it. The new silencers with the larger end cap are supposed to be less prone to breaking cores. Glad I could be of help!!!!!!!!!!! Please leave 50 bucks with the girl on your way out.

Post a reply to: YZ250 electrical issue, won't rev up.

The Latest