YZ250 Build from Craigslist and Ebay

kijen
Edited Date/Time 2/17/2014 9:51am
just wanted to share.....Pretty much done....I have been working on this for the past two years, while riding it & racing it with my son.

I started with with a 2005 basket case off Craigslist for $400, salvaged the frame, swing arm, suspension.
Eng was thrashed, cases cracked and stripped, instead of rebuilding I found a 2001 motor on ebay for $900 bucks, as they saying goes fresh rebuildSmile this time it was true, an engine builder had it and the guy never paid or picked it up, had receipts etc....got lucky. Machined the cases for the swing arm bolt, and a YZ426 kick starter....

about a year ago I put the ESR 325 Kit on, $700, found 09 suspension on ebay, forks 300, shock 150. Off to Factory connection, $800, damn the budget!

just recently I got the restyled plastic and graphics, wanted to stick with a clean OEM look, think I got it.....the final pieces were the Wheels I have been waiting a while for RMATV to sell the components, last month they did, I bought the rims and hubs, got some bulldog spokes with the blue nipples, laced and trued them myself, an exercise in patience, I wont say how many times it took to get them pretty damn straightSmile

I have about $4100 in to it.....sort of pricey but I got it how I want it for now....

|
hellion
2/15/2014 10:06am
Awesome! This is why two strokes rule.........try doing that with a ten year old fooper
Hoodie
2/15/2014 10:07am
How do you like the big bore kit?

The Shop

kijen
2/15/2014 10:16am
Hoodie wrote:
How do you like the big bore kit?
I like it, I put a 49 rear sprocket on it to take advantage of the torque... I don't think it really faster then a Mod 250, but it is a ton easier to ride! I go between a fatty, gnarly and stock pipe...to be honest the stock pipe seems to be the best....
TJ 755
2/15/2014 10:24am
Tight. I have been wanting to get that plastic for my 125 and I also like OEM style graphics. Those look real good. Who did them?
rebus
2/15/2014 10:41am
hellion wrote:
Awesome! This is why two strokes rule.........try doing that with a ten year old fooper
Putting over $4000.00 into a ten year old bike to make it look good? I think a person could do that with a four stroke.
IceMan446
2/15/2014 10:48am
Seriously considering doing the suspension swap on my bike. For the price of used SSS forks, I don't think you can get anything better.

Good build man. Bike looks good.

Who did the graphics? They came out nice.
bvm111
2/15/2014 10:56am
hellion wrote:
rebus wrote:
Putting over $4000.00 into a ten year old bike to make it look good? I think a person could do that with a four stroke.
But then you would have a clapped out lame four stroke like all the rest. Every time I go to the track with my 06 KX250 people come and compliment me and start a conversation. Funny I never see that with ANY fooper... Ever!
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
2/15/2014 11:18am
You're awesome! Don't let anyone give you crap for putting the money into it. It has history to it and I'm sure it was an enjoy full process, especially seeing it all done and actually riding it. I'm currently giving the "fresh rebuild" treatment to my 2010 and I must agree with you, the prices sure do add up quickly! I'm sure it will be worth it, though. Enjoy your machine!
mooch
Fantasy
501st
2/15/2014 11:56am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2014 12:04pm
rebus wrote:
Are you this sour in real life?...seems every post of yours I read, I can hear the bwwaa bwwaa bwaaaa sound in my head. You know, the sound that goes along with every comment made by Debbie Downer.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
2/15/2014 11:57am
Bike looks great, well done
2/15/2014 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2014 1:28pm
rebus wrote:
I don't think so. A ten year old four stroke would be to dated. All the four strokes have advanced too much in the last ten years. You would end up with an old looking 4 stroke with $4,000.00 is it, and would be lucky to get $1,400.00 if you sold it.

A ten year old YZ looks just like a brand new one, and with what he's done, it looks like he's got $14,000.00 in it. I'm sure he could get his $4,000.00 back out of it pretty easily.

I think it's a great build and would be very proud to own it.

Can't say that about any ten year old four stroke.
rebus
2/15/2014 1:38pm
I'm a Debbie Downer because I made the brief comment that you could put 4 grand into a ten year old four stroke and make it look and ride good? You're probably reading into my posts something that's not there.
rebus
2/15/2014 1:48pm
rebus wrote:
I don't think so. A ten year old four stroke would be to dated. All the four strokes have advanced too much in the last ten...
I don't think so. A ten year old four stroke would be to dated. All the four strokes have advanced too much in the last ten years. You would end up with an old looking 4 stroke with $4,000.00 is it, and would be lucky to get $1,400.00 if you sold it.

A ten year old YZ looks just like a brand new one, and with what he's done, it looks like he's got $14,000.00 in it. I'm sure he could get his $4,000.00 back out of it pretty easily.

I bet you could do a lot with 4 grand and a ten year old four stroke.

I agree, it's a great build and nice looking bike and the builder should be proud of it. But don't fool yourself, that bike, while it may look good, is no longer competitive. It's still a ten year old two stroke.
bmxcurator
2/15/2014 2:07pm
rebus wrote:
I don't think so. A ten year old four stroke would be to dated. All the four strokes have advanced too much in the last ten...

rebus wrote:
I bet you could do a lot with 4 grand and a ten year old four stroke. I agree, it's a great build and nice looking...

I agree, it's a great build and nice looking bike and the builder should be proud of it. But don't fool yourself, that bike, while it may look good, is no longer competitive. It's still a ten year old two stroke.
Competitive to what? He said he has had fun building it to ride and race with his son. Didn't catch the part where he said the Supercorss was in town and he was going to enter to 'give it a go'.

That said, I bet Bubba could get on one of his #259 Kawi tiddlers and smoke the living dogshit out of any local hotshoe riding a 4 stroke.

Chiming in just to try and negate any part of someone's post or spread your awful doodoo to bring others down to your level is silly. Go troll the 'my little pony' forums.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/15/2014 4:15pm
rebus wrote:
I'm a Debbie Downer because I made the brief comment that you could put 4 grand into a ten year old four stroke and make it...
I'm a Debbie Downer because I made the brief comment that you could put 4 grand into a ten year old four stroke and make it look and ride good? You're probably reading into my posts something that's not there.
Point is...why derail the thread jackass?! Let's get back on track...

Awesome build! The $4100 invested was well worth it!!
rebus
2/15/2014 5:05pm

rebus wrote:
I bet you could do a lot with 4 grand and a ten year old four stroke. I agree, it's a great build and nice looking...

bmxcurator wrote:
Competitive to what? He said he has had fun building it to ride and race with his son. Didn't catch the part where he said the...
Competitive to what? He said he has had fun building it to ride and race with his son. Didn't catch the part where he said the Supercorss was in town and he was going to enter to 'give it a go'.

That said, I bet Bubba could get on one of his #259 Kawi tiddlers and smoke the living dogshit out of any local hotshoe riding a 4 stroke.

Chiming in just to try and negate any part of someone's post or spread your awful doodoo to bring others down to your level is silly. Go troll the 'my little pony' forums.
I didn't troll anything ya uphill gardener. If you go back and read the thread you'll see that someone else made a derogatory comment about four strokes and I replied saying nothing more than that you could put 4 grand into a four stroke and make the bike better.
rebus
2/15/2014 5:10pm
rebus wrote:
I'm a Debbie Downer because I made the brief comment that you could put 4 grand into a ten year old four stroke and make it...
Brad460 wrote:
Point is...why derail the thread jackass?! Let's get back on track...

Awesome build! The $4100 invested was well worth it!!
I didn't derail one damn thing. All you wankers who took my comment the wrong way did. Read it. Someone said that you could never do that with a fours stroke and I replied that if you put 4 grand into an older fours stroke you could make it pretty nice. Why is that such a bad statement that some of these wankers had to respond with their nonsense?

I already said the bloke did a good job on the bike and should be proud. But I guess for some of you, that's not enough.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
2/15/2014 5:12pm
rebus wrote:

bmxcurator wrote:
Competitive to what? He said he has had fun building it to ride and race with his son. Didn't catch the part where he said the...

rebus wrote:
I didn't troll anything ya uphill gardener. If you go back and read the thread you'll see that someone else made a derogatory comment about four...
I didn't troll anything ya uphill gardener. If you go back and read the thread you'll see that someone else made a derogatory comment about four strokes and I replied saying nothing more than that you could put 4 grand into a four stroke and make the bike better.
Derogatory?????? Did you get your feelings hurt because of a 4 stroke comment? Seems strange.Whistling
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/15/2014 6:33pm
Where did the graphics come from?
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/15/2014 7:05pm
Great job on the bike. It looks really good.
Tonycar107
2/15/2014 7:06pm
Did you notice the lack of power right off idle with the big bore? I can't seem to figure it out with mine. Other than that the 325 is great.
Crush
2/15/2014 7:54pm
Looks great dude, well done!
2/15/2014 8:30pm
kzizok wrote:
Where did the graphics come from?
Graphics came from Stickman graphics. I've seen kijen's bike up-close and personal, and it is an awesome build. He knows his way around an MX bike - both 2t and 4t.

kijen, beautiful build, buddy. I think I got drool on it when I was over last evening. Sorry.
2/16/2014 4:33pm
hellion wrote:
not to hijack your thread, and that is a beautiful yz250 smoker. how about a 15 year old fooper? i rebuilt lots of 2 strokes. this is my first 4 stroke build and it was fun. purchased this 98 yz400f for $250 as a basket. missing parts and had a bad lower rod bearing. purchased lots of parts of ebay and a few from service honda. updated to auto decompression cam, 03 450 radiators etc. parts list to long to list but i have around $1200 in it. did all the work myself except the rod on the crank. here are before and .after pics. and can't wait to ride it soon as the weather changes here in missouri. 98 yz400f before photo SAM_1290.jpg

photo 039.jpg
hellion
2/16/2014 4:52pm
rebus wrote:

Exactly!! You'd have to put 2500 into the motor alone and it would still be old and slow and nobody would look twice at it. If you don't get it that's fine, but a lot of people do. That ten year old yz is bad ass and people would be drooling over the look, the sound, and the smell.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
2/16/2014 5:07pm
kijen wrote:
just wanted to share.....Pretty much done....I have been working on this for the past two years, while riding it & racing it with my son. I...
just wanted to share.....Pretty much done....I have been working on this for the past two years, while riding it & racing it with my son.

I started with with a 2005 basket case off Craigslist for $400, salvaged the frame, swing arm, suspension.
Eng was thrashed, cases cracked and stripped, instead of rebuilding I found a 2001 motor on ebay for $900 bucks, as they saying goes fresh rebuildSmile this time it was true, an engine builder had it and the guy never paid or picked it up, had receipts etc....got lucky. Machined the cases for the swing arm bolt, and a YZ426 kick starter....

about a year ago I put the ESR 325 Kit on, $700, found 09 suspension on ebay, forks 300, shock 150. Off to Factory connection, $800, damn the budget!

just recently I got the restyled plastic and graphics, wanted to stick with a clean OEM look, think I got it.....the final pieces were the Wheels I have been waiting a while for RMATV to sell the components, last month they did, I bought the rims and hubs, got some bulldog spokes with the blue nipples, laced and trued them myself, an exercise in patience, I wont say how many times it took to get them pretty damn straightSmile

I have about $4100 in to it.....sort of pricey but I got it how I want it for now....

Nice job! Bike looks great!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/16/2014 5:10pm
Freakin awesome build man... Looks tops.Cool
MotoDad77
2/16/2014 5:34pm
Sweet 250!!! Love it!!!!
Sorry but the old 400 is a dawg.....

Post a reply to: YZ250 Build from Craigslist and Ebay

The Latest