YZ or RM 125?

All this talk about two strokes recently has got me wanting a 125 again. Last time I owned a 125 it was about 5 or 6 years ago. My first 125 was an RM which I had for a year and then a KTM which I had about three months, my buddy had a YZ and then a CR. At the time I preferred my RM to any of the others but since then I've had CR500s, CR250s and now a CRF450 and haven't even touched a 125.

Is the RM still the better bike if it's in good condition or am I better with a YZ these days? Has the YZ changed enough since my buddies 05 to beat the RM? Also how do you go on for OEM parts for the RMs these days?

And seen as there's been so much talk about the cost of racing, when I was 14 and paying for all my riding (apart from the transport) out of my own pocket, earning £40 a week washing trucks this is the bike I could afford and had great fun on.

|
HenryA
2/16/2017 9:47am
YZ. Parts everywhere, SSS suspension, great resale.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/16/2017 9:55am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 9:55am
Changes since the '05? Not very much - just better forks (SSS) on the '06 and newer models.

2/16/2017 9:59am
Falcon wrote:
Changes since the '05? Not very much - just better forks (SSS) on the '06 and newer models.

I don't know but we both agreed it felt better at the time, saying that me and my buddy bought both our bikes used so maybe a previous owner had done something to one of them? I don't know. It just handled better and the YZ felt like the gears were too close to each other, also my mate put those stupid Easton bars on the YZ which did it no favours.
2/16/2017 10:04am
HenryA wrote:
YZ. Parts everywhere, SSS suspension, great resale.
This ^^^

Get an 06 or newer. I loved my 2015. Most fun ever. Raise the forks in the clamps and that thing will turn sharp. Pull the forks and shock and send them to Slipdog. I didn't get a revalve on the 125 - didn't need it. He just put good fluid in both ends and reassembled them with Slipdog TLC. That suspension would handle anything and everything without a complaint.

The Shop

BobPA
2/16/2017 10:05am
YZ 125's are hard to beat. If you can afford new, 2016+, I would go KTM or husky....but that is a big dollar amount to swallow for a 125. But they are good, very good.

Honda 125's are pathetically slow, like really really slow

KX 125's are descent, not as much motor as the RM or YZ, but do everything well. If you want to do a big bore no case machining is needed for the Kawi.

RM's are great too. I have an 03 Kawasaki and my friend has an 04 RM and his has more motor then mine. We both are going 144 this year (friendly rivalry haha) and his required more labor and $$ because of the require machining. Chassis wise I prefer the Kawasaki...but I grew up racing the last generation Kawasaki 2 stroke.

2/16/2017 10:38am
BobPA wrote:
YZ 125's are hard to beat. If you can afford new, 2016+, I would go KTM or husky....but that is a big dollar amount to swallow...
YZ 125's are hard to beat. If you can afford new, 2016+, I would go KTM or husky....but that is a big dollar amount to swallow for a 125. But they are good, very good.

KX 125's are descent, not as much motor as the RM or YZ, but do everything well. If you want to do a big bore no case machining is needed for the Kawi.

RM's are great too. I have an 03 Kawasaki and my friend has an 04 RM and his has more motor then mine. We both are going 144 this year (friendly rivalry haha) and his required more labor and $$ because of the require machining. Chassis wise I prefer the Kawasaki...but I grew up racing the last generation Kawasaki 2 stroke.

My only experience with a Kawasaki is four laps on an 07 KX250 which I quite enjoyed. I hadn't thought about the 144 idea, that may be something for me to consider. What is the KX most like handling wise?

As for the KTM idea, I've had bad experiences with old KTM's. Also while I can afford to buy a new 125 I just can't seem to justify it in my brain as I know that even a brand new one is going to need rebuilding before summers over.
wfo4ever
2/16/2017 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 12:25pm
Get a YZ-125, you will not regret it. It will cause you to smile a lot when riding. They are very reliable if maintained properly. Parts are a lot cheaper than KTM and much better quality than a Suzuki or Kawasaki. Honda CR-125's are slow.

Motofinne
2/16/2017 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 1:28pm
I don't know how the market looks for used 2016 KTMs or Huskys over there but here in Finland or Sweden you can find good used 2016s for around 4000-4500 depending on how many hours the bike has been used.

But if the only choice is a RM or YZ, go for the 2006 or newer YZ.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/16/2017 1:25pm
I had an RM and while it was super fun, a stock YZ 125 was stronger than my RM with 134cc, vforce3, Doma exhaust,etc...
Flip109
2/16/2017 1:32pm
Well unless you are really light 125's are over rated. I would ride my sons from time to time. It's pretty fun but I couldn't imagine the maintence cost of top ends and clutches riding that thing all the time. Not to mention it's a dog in deep sand or wet conditions. Ring the shit out of em and go nowhere.
2/16/2017 1:46pm
Flip109 wrote:
Well unless you are really light 125's are over rated. I would ride my sons from time to time. It's pretty fun but I couldn't imagine...
Well unless you are really light 125's are over rated. I would ride my sons from time to time. It's pretty fun but I couldn't imagine the maintence cost of top ends and clutches riding that thing all the time. Not to mention it's a dog in deep sand or wet conditions. Ring the shit out of em and go nowhere.
Well I'm actually lighter now than I was when I was 14 and a lot fitter so I'm not thinking that shouldn't be a problem. That same mate that used to have the YZ currently has a 97 steel frame cr125 so we're going to swap bikes for the day at weekend to let me have a chance to get used to a 125 again.
Flip109
2/16/2017 1:57pm
Flip109 wrote:
Well unless you are really light 125's are over rated. I would ride my sons from time to time. It's pretty fun but I couldn't imagine...
gpnewhouse wrote:
Well I'm actually lighter now than I was when I was 14 and a lot fitter so I'm not thinking that shouldn't be a problem. That...
Well I'm actually lighter now than I was when I was 14 and a lot fitter so I'm not thinking that shouldn't be a problem. That same mate that used to have the YZ currently has a 97 steel frame cr125 so we're going to swap bikes for the day at weekend to let me have a chance to get used to a 125 again.
It is fun as a side bike if your budget is cool with that. I wouldn't own one for my main squeeze is all. I'm 200lbs tho so lol. If you're like 150ish I could see it being a lot better in the deep stuffs
2/16/2017 2:22pm
Flip109 wrote:
It is fun as a side bike if your budget is cool with that. I wouldn't own one for my main squeeze is all. I'm 200lbs...
It is fun as a side bike if your budget is cool with that. I wouldn't own one for my main squeeze is all. I'm 200lbs tho so lol. If you're like 150ish I could see it being a lot better in the deep stuffs
Well I was always a fat kid so I know what you mean, I was at like 280lbs but back in October I joined crossfit and really got into it so now I'm at around 180 and still losing weight and getting fitter spending 8-10 hours per week there so I'm thinking fitness won't be an issue anymore.

I'll have a try on my mates CR before I do anything but by the sounds of it the YZ will be the way to go.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/16/2017 3:23pm
Something to think about. The '06 and up YZ's are more desired because of the SSS suspension. Thus, '06's are going to command a higher price than an '05. You may be able to save a decent amount of money by getting an '05. Im not knocking those that only want the SSS's, but for the money you could save, it would be worth considering.
Skerby
2/16/2017 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 3:35pm
I feel like 165lb is the 125 weight limit for sand moto.

Ive had great success at around 155lb on my yz in the sand. Never liked riding it in the mud though.
Bruce372
2/16/2017 3:49pm
I am a Suzuki guy, but since they haven't been produced for years I think you would be very lucky to find a rm125 that isn't thrashed.

The yz125 is a great bike,lots around to buy and lots of spares also
NHtoWA421
2/16/2017 7:10pm
Bruce372 wrote:
I am a Suzuki guy, but since they haven't been produced for years I think you would be very lucky to find a rm125 that isn't...
I am a Suzuki guy, but since they haven't been produced for years I think you would be very lucky to find a rm125 that isn't thrashed.

The yz125 is a great bike,lots around to buy and lots of spares also
This! There are suzukis out there, but at this point you will be hard pressed to find one that is in any better shape than a street hooker at 7am leftover from the night before....
Flip109
2/16/2017 8:02pm
Flip109 wrote:
It is fun as a side bike if your budget is cool with that. I wouldn't own one for my main squeeze is all. I'm 200lbs...
gpnewhouse wrote:
Well I was always a fat kid so I know what you mean, I was at like 280lbs but back in October I joined crossfit and...
Well I was always a fat kid so I know what you mean, I was at like 280lbs but back in October I joined crossfit and really got into it so now I'm at around 180 and still losing weight and getting fitter spending 8-10 hours per week there so I'm thinking fitness won't be an issue anymore.

I'll have a try on my mates CR before I do anything but by the sounds of it the YZ will be the way to go.
Damn congrats on the weight loss man. I'm a gym rat myself. No horsepower gain better than losing some weight! I did ride a 15 Yamaha 125 at a demo day one time on a intermediate terrain track. Thing ran good for sure! Crispy
Jerkolantern
2/16/2017 9:04pm
Everyone knows the pinnacle of 125's was the 02 CR - couple simple mods, like a port job, high comp. Piston, custom carb, pipe, silencer, Ti everything's, custom race head, 07 air box, power valve mod., and race gas and it's right there. Plus it's brand new after all that, both in parts and relative cost to a new one! Win Win! Am I bitter my kid loves his Honda? Nah
BobPA
2/16/2017 9:07pm
Everyone knows the pinnacle of 125's was the 02 CR - couple simple mods, like a port job, high comp. Piston, custom carb, pipe, silencer, Ti...
Everyone knows the pinnacle of 125's was the 02 CR - couple simple mods, like a port job, high comp. Piston, custom carb, pipe, silencer, Ti everything's, custom race head, 07 air box, power valve mod., and race gas and it's right there. Plus it's brand new after all that, both in parts and relative cost to a new one! Win Win! Am I bitter my kid loves his Honda? Nah
All that work and it is still slower then a stock YZ Laughing
DADTAXI
2/16/2017 9:26pm
BobPA wrote:
YZ 125's are hard to beat. If you can afford new, 2016+, I would go KTM or husky....but that is a big dollar amount to swallow...

gpnewhouse wrote:
My only experience with a Kawasaki is four laps on an 07 KX250 which I quite enjoyed. I hadn't thought about the 144 idea, that may...
My only experience with a Kawasaki is four laps on an 07 KX250 which I quite enjoyed. I hadn't thought about the 144 idea, that may be something for me to consider. What is the KX most like handling wise?

As for the KTM idea, I've had bad experiences with old KTM's. Also while I can afford to buy a new 125 I just can't seem to justify it in my brain as I know that even a brand new one is going to need rebuilding before summers over.
I ride a current thumper.

I got on bobs KX thinking I would only do a lap. The bike was so much, turned with ease. Only issue I had was the thin foot pegs.

Post a reply to: YZ or RM 125?

The Latest