YZ Experts, What Do You Think?

mds4752
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 7:24am
Looking to buy a YZ450F. Have several options, but wondered what those who are experts with the model think.

Option 1: never ridden 2007 (was stored in building that caught on fire. All plastics have been replaced, may have to replace a cable or two, but bike has literally been ridden 2 miles. Radiator shrouds show some melting, but all steel, fuel tank, exhaust system, etc appear fine. The main damage was smoke and some melted plastics, which again, have been replaced. Has sat around for 8 years without being ridden, so there may be some other issues)

Option 2: used 2009/10/11 (whole slew of choices here, some close to stock, some with upgrades, but bottom line is that all are used. Some raced, some not)

If both were the same $$$, which would you pick?

Did Yamaha make some major changes / upgrades to the model after 2007 that would make a used but newer bike superior choice? Or, if they didn't, would I be crazy to pass up on what is essentially a brand new bike for the same $$?

Wanted for trail riding and some vet races!

Thanks in advance.
|
newmann
6/23/2015 8:08am
My first bike ever, a 1974 GT80 Yamaha had come out of a garage fire. Good times.

TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/23/2015 8:14am
I'd go with a 07 or the 09 and go as stock as you can, non-raced. Raced bikes are ticking time bombs (trust me, I know). The 09 suspension is better than the 07, but the minor differences in the engine are nill (if anything at all). I prefer when getting a used bike getting as stock as possible, non-raced. I then usually get it into the shop for a new top end (regardless) and a new timing chain. While doing those, get the bottom end inspected, valves checked, and jetting noted. Once that is all good, then you should be good to go for a while (+50 hours) with good maintenance (oil change and air filter). One other suggestion is, whoever is doing the top end work pull the top off of the carb and inspect it for dirt. This is the dirt that would have gone into the engine - it gives you an idea of how well the bike was maintained. Keep an eye on that. If you change your oil every 5 hours of ride time (get an hour meter), keep the air filter clean and inspect the top of the carb for dirt (assuming it stays clean), the 07-09 YZ450Fs last a LONG time.
mxer512
6/23/2015 8:21am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 8:21am
u might also think about doing the oil vent mod on the 07 -09 yz450f it basically re-routs the vent from comming down the lh side and rerouts it to dump below the swing arm (were your carb vent tubes are) and has the "T" fitting were the other hose goes into the airbox. heard of peopl getting sand and dirt up the vent tube into the top end. I had an 09... loved that bike just a lil too much for me 135 lbs soaking wet.

The Shop

motomike137
6/23/2015 8:21am
The 2010-13 are definitely an aquired taste from a turning perspective. The 2009 and older bikes have better front end manners and are great all around bikes. YZ's are hella reliable if maintained properly. That 2007 could be a great deal if you are willing to go through it from stem to stern after it has sat so long or it could be more trouble than it is worth (who knows what the heat may have done to the electronics?).
Panic_Rev
6/23/2015 8:23am
I went from a 2009 yz250f to a 2015 yz250f. I loved my 2009, but after jumping on the 15 I was amazed how far bikes have progressed. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to ride a 2009 again and I was shocked why I even used to like the bike. I know this is a 250 vs 450 but might still help. I would definitely go with a model that has fuel injection.

I only ride moto so I can't really advise on how my opinion would change with trails.

kawasa84
6/23/2015 8:29am
Grant Langston was battling Andrew Short and Tim Ferry for the outdoor championship in 07" and didn't dominate, and all of a sudden he gets on the new 08" frame that was approved by the AMA to finish like the last 4 outdoor races. BOOM! The 08' is so much better that He just dominates the last races and wins the National Championship. The 07' had many issues with handling that the 08' corrected. I'm not even a Yamaha guy and I know that. Any YZF guy should tell you that.
I thought you were talking 2-Stroke when I saw YZ...................You didn't say YZF, There is a slight difference my man, I wouldn't buy any 4-stroke.
6/23/2015 8:35am
Option 3: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/12/26/reedlg_641596.jpeg[/img]
Option 3:

I like your style dude!
crf250pilot
6/23/2015 8:45am
I'd skip the 2010-11 models for trails, tanks too small and they look too stupid with aftermarket tanks. Go with the 07 if it's dirt cheap and most likely will need total carb rebuild. smartest choice, obviously is option 3
racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
6/23/2015 9:00am
2006-2009 are basically the same bike. If you can get a 2007 that is brand new for a good deal, that is what I would do. Go through the carb (because it has been sitting so long), put a Dr. D full system on it and rip.
mxb2
6/23/2015 9:09am
new leftover, 2014/15, great deals now
BobPA
6/23/2015 9:19am
TbonesPop wrote:
I'd go with a 07 or the 09 and go as stock as you can, non-raced. Raced bikes are ticking time bombs (trust me, I know)...
I'd go with a 07 or the 09 and go as stock as you can, non-raced. Raced bikes are ticking time bombs (trust me, I know). The 09 suspension is better than the 07, but the minor differences in the engine are nill (if anything at all). I prefer when getting a used bike getting as stock as possible, non-raced. I then usually get it into the shop for a new top end (regardless) and a new timing chain. While doing those, get the bottom end inspected, valves checked, and jetting noted. Once that is all good, then you should be good to go for a while (+50 hours) with good maintenance (oil change and air filter). One other suggestion is, whoever is doing the top end work pull the top off of the carb and inspect it for dirt. This is the dirt that would have gone into the engine - it gives you an idea of how well the bike was maintained. Keep an eye on that. If you change your oil every 5 hours of ride time (get an hour meter), keep the air filter clean and inspect the top of the carb for dirt (assuming it stays clean), the 07-09 YZ450Fs last a LONG time.
I would rather a bike that was raced, than a bike that was held wide open up and down the road by some hillbilly all its life...
6/23/2015 9:29am
BobPA wrote:
I would rather a bike that was raced, than a bike that was held wide open up and down the road by some hillbilly all its...
I would rather a bike that was raced, than a bike that was held wide open up and down the road by some hillbilly all its life...
It's tit for tat Pennsylvania Robert. Both are not worth buying unless you got them for nothing.
mxer512
6/23/2015 9:35am
BobPA wrote:
I would rather a bike that was raced, than a bike that was held wide open up and down the road by some hillbilly all its...
It's tit for tat Pennsylvania Robert. Both are not worth buying unless you got them for nothing.
i perfer the tit imo
mxer512
6/23/2015 9:48am

Picked it up for $700 with a seized motor. these are good bikes. dependable as long as u take care of em. this 09 was a beast and litterally almost scary to ride. whichever one you buy, if u are going to be doing woods riding, might wanna get a flywheel weight so you can put that torque to the ground. all my friends called it the demon bike
mds4752
6/23/2015 9:55am
Some great input gents -- much appreciated.

Narrator, if Option #3 was even remotely in the same ballpark $$-wise, it would definitely be the best choice!

TbonesPop & racinstation -- I'll find a 'non-dealership' mechanic to get an estimate on the new top end and timing chain, bottom end inspection, valves checked, and jetting noted. Plus check the carb. I'd also have to get the susp set up for me too.

motomike137 -- I hadn't thought about the damage the heat may have done to the electronics. Good call. Weird thing is, it didn't harm the tires or other tubing at all. But it melted most or all of the plastics and the radiator guards, and the throttle cables. Owner has replaced the throttle cables, but I wonder if clutch cable / hot start cable would also have issues. I'd probably want to replace it and the kill switch cable also.

Thanks again all.
JOSHJ
6/23/2015 10:00am
mds4752 wrote:
Looking to buy a YZ450F. Have several options, but wondered what those who are experts with the model think. [b]Option 1:[/b] never ridden 2007 (was stored...
Looking to buy a YZ450F. Have several options, but wondered what those who are experts with the model think.

Option 1: never ridden 2007 (was stored in building that caught on fire. All plastics have been replaced, may have to replace a cable or two, but bike has literally been ridden 2 miles. Radiator shrouds show some melting, but all steel, fuel tank, exhaust system, etc appear fine. The main damage was smoke and some melted plastics, which again, have been replaced. Has sat around for 8 years without being ridden, so there may be some other issues)

Option 2: used 2009/10/11 (whole slew of choices here, some close to stock, some with upgrades, but bottom line is that all are used. Some raced, some not)

Did Yamaha make some major changes / upgrades to the model after 2007 that would make a used but newer bike superior choice? Or, if they didn't, would I be crazy to pass up on what is essentially a brand new bike for the same $$?

Thanks in advance.
What is your price range? I may have something for you
BroFoSho
6/23/2015 10:55am
Had an 07 450, handled like a tank. I would lose the front end a lot in corners. Sounds like a good buy, just be prepared to have a bike that doesn't like to turn very well.
kawasa84
6/23/2015 11:03am
BroFoSho wrote:
Had an 07 450, handled like a tank. I would lose the front end a lot in corners. Sounds like a good buy, just be prepared...
Had an 07 450, handled like a tank. I would lose the front end a lot in corners. Sounds like a good buy, just be prepared to have a bike that doesn't like to turn very well.
I said this earlier, and have never owned one. The 07' was terrible handling, they made huge corrections for 08' yet no one here tells this guy the 07' sucks. Oh well.
6/23/2015 11:44am
I have 04', 06' and 11' YZ450s in my garage right now. All of them were raced moderately to heavily and all of them are averaging 120+ hours. They've been fantastic bikes, not a "ticking time bomb" waiting to explode, lol.

All 3 bikes were setup exactly the same, ENZO suspension with high-comp. piston, hot cams and minor race/bling stuff. Again, very reliable and good bikes.

The biggest reason why I would go with a 2010 or newer YZ is EFI and suspension.That's huge.

Like someone here said, when I take my older bikes to the track or on trail rides, i'm wondering how the hell I rode them so fast compared to newer model. For me, 80% of that is carb vs EFI 20% is suspension.

Doug
mds4752
6/23/2015 11:58am
douglasredding - do you know what Yamaha changed on the suspension between '09 & '10? What did they redesign that makes such a difference? Also, if you've been running ENZO on all 3, is it possible the suspension on all 3 are similar?

The difference between EFI vs carb is obvious. I assume they made that change in '10 also.

Thanks for your input. As an owner of 3 different year models of the bike I'm looking for, you're in a pretty unique position to give feedback.
RandyS
6/23/2015 1:42pm
Option 3: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/12/26/reedlg_641596.jpeg[/img]
Option 3:

I'd agree too, if you can get Reeds 05 SX bike get it. If you don't like it you can put it on Ebay for $25,000/
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/23/2015 2:24pm
mds4752 wrote:
douglasredding - do you know what Yamaha changed on the suspension between '09 & '10? What did they redesign that makes such a difference? Also, if...
douglasredding - do you know what Yamaha changed on the suspension between '09 & '10? What did they redesign that makes such a difference? Also, if you've been running ENZO on all 3, is it possible the suspension on all 3 are similar?

The difference between EFI vs carb is obvious. I assume they made that change in '10 also.

Thanks for your input. As an owner of 3 different year models of the bike I'm looking for, you're in a pretty unique position to give feedback.
The changes from 09 to 10 were astronomical. That was the first year of reversing the engine and likely the worst year for having a lighter feeling front end - which isn't terrible for the average rider but a lot of Pros hated it (and it got a bad reputation because of it). Due to the reverse motor, the frame/suspension changes are significant. If you want EFI and a YZF, you may want to look at newer models than the 10-11 range. I have an 09 now and like it a lot (still). I also have a newer KTM with newer suspension and EFI - the differences are significant. I like both, but the differences in feel, suspension, carb vs EFI are just night and day. The 09 has a very good reputation as a great year for the YZFs.
cheers_22
6/23/2015 2:52pm
mds4752 wrote:
Looking to buy a YZ450F. Have several options, but wondered what those who are experts with the model think. [b]Option 1:[/b] never ridden 2007 (was stored...

Thanks in advance.
Go with an 09 if you can. Kept my 08 through the entire 10-13 generation. 08/09 yz450f's are still fantastic bikes.
Grieby54
6/23/2015 3:03pm
TbonesPop wrote:
I'd go with a 07 or the 09 and go as stock as you can, non-raced. Raced bikes are ticking time bombs (trust me, I know)...
I'll never understand this. Why are raced bikes ticking time bombs? I don't ride my bike any less aggressively to practice than I do while racing.
1stSSPZ
6/23/2015 3:32pm
mxb2 wrote:
new leftover, 2014/15, great deals now
That!
mark_swart
6/23/2015 3:32pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Had an 07 450, handled like a tank. I would lose the front end a lot in corners. Sounds like a good buy, just be prepared...
kawasa84 wrote:
I said this earlier, and have never owned one. The 07' was terrible handling, they made huge corrections for 08' yet no one here tells this...
I said this earlier, and have never owned one. The 07' was terrible handling, they made huge corrections for 08' yet no one here tells this guy the 07' sucks. Oh well.
Agreed -- I had the 07 YZF 450 after coming off an 05 CRF 450. Turning was always weird, did that center-out push thing exactly like MXA described. I lowered the radiators and it seemed to help maybe a little, but not much.

Also thought my 05 Honda was faster. Put on a Dr. D pipe and that woke the YZF up a little bit.

Suspension was nice though.

I'd be worried about the fork/shock seals and maybe internals as well if the fire got hot enough to melt other plastic.

OP - Unless you are getting that thing for crazy dirt cheap, I'd probably lean toward one that was already functional.
motomike137
6/23/2015 3:55pm
BroFoSho wrote:
kawasa84 wrote:
I said this earlier, and have never owned one. The 07' was terrible handling, they made huge corrections for 08' yet no one here tells this...
mark_swart wrote:
Agreed -- I had the 07 YZF 450 after coming off an 05 CRF 450. Turning was always weird, did that center-out push thing exactly like...
Agreed -- I had the 07 YZF 450 after coming off an 05 CRF 450. Turning was always weird, did that center-out push thing exactly like MXA described. I lowered the radiators and it seemed to help maybe a little, but not much.

Also thought my 05 Honda was faster. Put on a Dr. D pipe and that woke the YZF up a little bit.

Suspension was nice though.

I'd be worried about the fork/shock seals and maybe internals as well if the fire got hot enough to melt other plastic.

OP - Unless you are getting that thing for crazy dirt cheap, I'd probably lean toward one that was already functional.
I agree on them not turning like Suzukis or Hondas but I'm a long time YZ pilot and the old gen bikes were my point of reference relative to my 2011 chassis. I haven't ridden the 2014/15 yet and have done a lot of mods to make my 11 feel comfortable but it just never has felt quite like my older ones handling/turning wise. The other thing the op would really want imho if he were to get a 2010-2013 bike would be the injectioneering mod to fight the abruptness down low. Get the suspension worked out for your weight along with other personal things like bar bend and if you really feel like treating yourself add a Rekluse to the mix and you will have an ultra reliable super fun dirt weapon!
BAD10
6/23/2015 3:55pm
kawasa84 wrote:
Grant Langston was battling Andrew Short and Tim Ferry for the outdoor championship in 07" and didn't dominate, and all of a sudden he gets on...
Grant Langston was battling Andrew Short and Tim Ferry for the outdoor championship in 07" and didn't dominate, and all of a sudden he gets on the new 08" frame that was approved by the AMA to finish like the last 4 outdoor races. BOOM! The 08' is so much better that He just dominates the last races and wins the National Championship. The 07' had many issues with handling that the 08' corrected. I'm not even a Yamaha guy and I know that. Any YZF guy should tell you that.
I thought you were talking 2-Stroke when I saw YZ...................You didn't say YZF, There is a slight difference my man, I wouldn't buy any 4-stroke.
What he said! ^- I had an 07. Turning was a nightmare but otherwise a decent bike. The 08 with the new frame handled much better! In 09 they added a new swingarm and larger rear axle. You cant go wrong with an 09....its a very good machine. I also had a 2010 and got along with it OK after much suspension and chassis mods, but I'm tall which I think made a difference. Definitely a different bird and many didn't like it at all.
mds4752
6/23/2015 4:04pm
Again---thanks for the input gents. Much appreciated.

After reading through all of this and chatting with my brother, I believe I will pass on the "new" '07. Just too many unknowns regarding damage the heat may have caused, plus the other points posters have brought up about that year model.

So....it seems like the crowd says a better option (if both options are the same $$$) would be to buy a newer but more used bike. With the '09 getting a lot of love.

Awesome having a group like this to give multiple points of view.

Post a reply to: YZ Experts, What Do You Think?

The Latest