YOUR Motocross Des Nations Stories ?

Rupert X
How many you been to ? Your fave ? Memories you must tell ? Thanks for sharing.

|
OldTiddler
9/22/2016 5:57pm
Obviously fake... no TwitterGram in 2005.

And that year, KW won it all, while RC got hung up in the fence and Townley rode around the outside of Everts with his feet on the pegs...
Highsider
9/22/2016 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 6:26pm
1987 at Unadilla.
The stories would include the pre-trip, trip to NY, car rental agency visit, roadside stops heading to motel, fake credentials, more rental car stories....

but heavens no, I can't tell those here. Cool

2007 at Budds Creek.
Stayed over after race was over into Monday morning. Unloaded bike and rode the track for nearly 30-minutes before getting kicked off by Jonathan Beasley and his sidekick, Roger DeCoster.

2010 at Lakewood.
Now I am old and boring = no stories and too tired to go see Bob Wier play Sunday night after the race at Red Rocks. I am a puss!
pete24
9/22/2016 6:39pm
buddy was in hospital for six weeks
broke him out, went to dilla 87
he was on crutches
sucked in the rain
sucked worse watching us "ski" down the hills on a pizza box
USA won
end of story

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/22/2016 6:45pm
only been once, Ernee on 05, to watch Townley trying to run down RC was epic, even the American fans around me were cheering him on, was lucky enough to have infield passes and be with the kiwi team,

a des nations in europe is a bucket list for any true MX fan IMO,

had a good talk to TFS that weekend as well RIP,
Tonynz
9/22/2016 6:50pm
Had tickets and everything for 2002 race by the time we arrived in USA it had been cancelled. Still went to the "World Cup of MX" or what ever it was called.
Will probably go next year when it is at Glen Helen.
vandy509
9/22/2016 6:55pm
Budds Creek 2007 - Was standing with my brother in the infield near the pond, between Henry hill and the next hill over. A group of three Scotsmen come walking down the hill, wearing only kilts - barefoot even. They're talking and having a good time, drinking some beers. They get to the bottom of the hill and the one guy decides to do a headstand and have his mate pour a beer in his mouth while he's upside down. He goes into full on headstand mode, obviously gravity does it's thing and his kilt falls down (up?) and he's just bare-assed underneath. So here he is doing a headstand, showing the entire crowd his bit and two pieces while chugging a beer. He forward rolled out of the headstand and stood up and started walking like nothing happened.

I didn't see it, but later on a good friend of mine asked me if we saw the Scotsman swimming in the puddle. He told me that the lad belly flopped into a mud puddle and proceeded to do his best imitation of Michael Phelps. He even stuck his mouth in the water and sucked some of that muddy water up and turned his head and spit the water out, like a swimmer taking a breath. Those guys came to party.

Later that night we partied with a group of people from Estonia and had a great time.
Uncle_Eddie
9/22/2016 9:11pm
Highsider wrote:
1987 at Unadilla. The stories would include the pre-trip, trip to NY, car rental agency visit, roadside stops heading to motel, fake credentials, more rental car...
1987 at Unadilla.
The stories would include the pre-trip, trip to NY, car rental agency visit, roadside stops heading to motel, fake credentials, more rental car stories....

but heavens no, I can't tell those here. Cool

2007 at Budds Creek.
Stayed over after race was over into Monday morning. Unloaded bike and rode the track for nearly 30-minutes before getting kicked off by Jonathan Beasley and his sidekick, Roger DeCoster.

2010 at Lakewood.
Now I am old and boring = no stories and too tired to go see Bob Wier play Sunday night after the race at Red Rocks. I am a puss!
Gotta be pretty tired to pass up going to see Bob wier....at red rocks! Getting run down by the man himself, good stuff
Whitey
9/22/2016 11:00pm
1992 the infamous B team race. Watching Bayle ride a 500 on the pegs around Manjimup was awesome. I remember going to a local track a few days before the race to watch Everts do some media and blow the cobwebs out, that 125 sounded like a 500.

1998 Foxhills, watching drunk poms rolling around on the muddy track inbetween races was hilarious. The lesson Stefan gave to the rest if the world on mud riding skills was jaw dropping, it was like he was racing Novices.

2016, I will let you know Monday.......
Mr. Info
9/22/2016 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 12:01am
Started my trip this year in Germany and went to Octoberfest. To many beers with to many friends then drove to Malpensa.
Was still muddy at Maggiora on Thursday. Late night at hotel bar and being woke up by California texts in the early am by people who forget I am 9 hrs difference in time. That up to today and heading into Milano to sample the street food and then to the track. You are caught up to the minute. Caio
9/23/2016 12:04am
1998 Foxhills sliding down the muddy hills and watching Everts at his best.

2006 Matterley again Everts in his final professional event, feet on pegs planted.

2013 Teutschental watching Tomac and Roczen taking it to another level.
jemcee
9/23/2016 12:40am
1992 at age 13 My dad, brother, a mate of his and me went over to Western Australia from the east coast.. I can remember watching Bayle seem to not even try but still win, also the sound of Emig's 125 screaming it's tits off amongst the 500's!
But my fondest memories are of the after party, How faaaarken cold it was and seeing the biggest bonfire I had ever seen! Listening to my brother and his mate talking to a very drunk Jeff Leisk about racing Sprint cars while Jeff was arranging wood in a fire that was in a 44 gallon drum and the whole time the flames were hitting his arms and burning his uber cool Chambers leather Jacket..
Laughing at Jason Marshall (the Aus 500 rider that year) struggle for what seemed like hours after his mates held him down and pulled the hood of his jumper strings as tight as they could and tied them in a thousand knots leaving the smallest little hole for him to see out of haha..
And last but not least going to leave but found a drunk dude passed out on our car so we go to move him to then realise it was Peter Melton (Multi time Aus MX and SX champ) haha good times
FWYT
9/23/2016 1:04am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 1:18am
Went to Saint Jean d'Angely in 2000. I was backpacking around Europe and was actually down in Biarritz and just sorta winged it up to the race. First time in Europe and (obviously) first time seeing a motocross race in Europe.
Hoooolleeeeee crap. All moto fans need to see a big race in Europe; it's fantastic. The crowds go bonkers. When Tortelli passed RC in the last race, it was like the whole ground shook with people just loosing their minds. Watching Pastrana jump down that long hill was frightening. And seeing how happy Hughes was to be a part of it was just great.

What else was really cool was seeing riders from other teams at the finish. Obscure countries with riders well below the winners speed and at the finish, being a really hot day, there were a couple guys just collapsed, stripping off their jerseys and pouring water on themselves. But there was a sincere sense of accomplishment just for being there by their team. Good racing.

2001 Namur. Again, I was backpacking around Europe and made my way up there from the south. That track is scary. And it's just so unlike anything we have in the States. It's just so crazy how you can have this old castle and go racing around it. Of course the fans go bananas. There is such intense nationalistic pride that it's more like the teams are racing for God and country. Also, you know how here at a National, you get the feeling a large percentage of spectators actually ride? Over there I got the feeling not nearly as many of the spectators rode but they were INTO it and knew all about who was who and so on. Like the Belgian mom standing next to you knows all the stats on the Belgian riders.

In practice, there was a guy that tried that steep step-down (the one in the background of this photo) and he cased it so hard the ground shook. EVERYONE went "ooohhhhhhh.." and got real quiet. He ended up being OK but damn he hit hard. (I want to say it was a Spanish or Portuguese guy on a 125 but can't be sure.)

It's so much fun over there. For hours after the race people are waving their flags, singing and yelling. Chainsaw motors, airhorns.... it's unreal. Seeing a race over there should be a bucket list item for everyone.

Everts:

rangot
9/23/2016 1:04am
9 MXdN for me, starting in 1997 at Nismes, then Foxhill, St Jean, Lierop, Ernée, Matterley...

Crazyest story in Matterley, check this out : i was there with one of my best friend, who did every MxdN i've been with me. We were sleeping in a tent, and my wallet got stolen during the night. No big deal as far as money was concerned, but the problem was tha the day after the race, i was supposed to go to honeymoon in Kenya/Tanzania, and i had no more ID nor passeport... Let me tell you i hesitate a long time before calling my brand new wife. She was not happy.

We went to the speaker, who made the call several times at the mic to at least drop the passeport, and keep the money. And finally, someone took it back at a beer tent ! Just the passport, alone... I was so releived i could start really checking the race. And, by magic, we were right in the corner where SE72 went by JS7 like he was standing still. And honeymoon was great !
St Ann More
9/23/2016 2:07am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 2:31am
5 and counting my end, Maggiora will be number 6 - fly out today!

Started out in 2006 though and that year would top my bill, Team USA came to my uncles track for a low key private dealio with a few others in the week practicing, so meeting and watching them was a massive highlight, always remember going WTF (like many others there did) when Stewart nailed a jump that wasn't ever suppose to be there.

Coupled with the weekend itself, massive crowd, the electric atmosphere, watching Everts go out in style, memorable!
Prntscrn
9/23/2016 2:27am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 2:28am
Been to six. Favorite was probably Ernee or Budds Creek. First was Namur back in 2001 I think but I was a little to young for the real experience though. Happy to have seen a race there though!
Jimfunn
9/23/2016 2:49am
rangot wrote:
9 MXdN for me, starting in 1997 at Nismes, then Foxhill, St Jean, Lierop, Ernée, Matterley... Crazyest story in Matterley, check this out : i was...
9 MXdN for me, starting in 1997 at Nismes, then Foxhill, St Jean, Lierop, Ernée, Matterley...

Crazyest story in Matterley, check this out : i was there with one of my best friend, who did every MxdN i've been with me. We were sleeping in a tent, and my wallet got stolen during the night. No big deal as far as money was concerned, but the problem was tha the day after the race, i was supposed to go to honeymoon in Kenya/Tanzania, and i had no more ID nor passeport... Let me tell you i hesitate a long time before calling my brand new wife. She was not happy.

We went to the speaker, who made the call several times at the mic to at least drop the passeport, and keep the money. And finally, someone took it back at a beer tent ! Just the passport, alone... I was so releived i could start really checking the race. And, by magic, we were right in the corner where SE72 went by JS7 like he was standing still. And honeymoon was great !
Matterley got a bit crazy, once the security walked off site it was madmax!

Been to quite a few MXdN's. Lommel was great to watch & the beer tent was wild.

Germany in '13, a mate worked for UK moto mag & got us tickets to the after party on Sunday & Monster $$$'s. The party was in center of Halle town so we drove and parked in a street outside a bank. I can't remember much of the end of the night & woke up about 9am, stood outside my van throwing up wearing just a pair of boxers with people going to work as it was a Monday morning. I think 9 people stayed in the vam that night & we had a 9 hr drive back to catch the ferry so we started driving & I was hurling out the window every hr for the next 6 hrs. Got home 1am Tuesday and went to work for 7am. Took about a week to feel normal again...
Rupert X
9/23/2016 4:07am
Military shtuff kept me away from Unadilla in '87. Went to Matterly in 2006, Budds in '07, Colorado in 2010 and then Lommel after that. Four for me. Of all the people I know, I'm guessing that Jeff Cernic has been to the most, he doesn't seem to miss many. As many of you have mentioned, epic times at these things. Cheers to all, more stories, please ?

kongols
9/23/2016 4:12am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 4:13am
Went to Italy in 2009. It was so funny how all the Italians just got up and left after Cairoli crashed out on a start.

And of course 2014 in Latvia.
Rupert X
9/23/2016 4:25am
kongols wrote:
Went to Italy in 2009. It was so funny how all the Italians just got up and left after Cairoli crashed out on a start. And...
Went to Italy in 2009. It was so funny how all the Italians just got up and left after Cairoli crashed out on a start.

Mr. Kongols, are you an American or Englishman residing in Latvia, or have you simply acquired a masters degree in the English language ? Forgive my curiosity, always impressed when others take on our tricky talk....
Rupert X
9/23/2016 4:29am
* Thought someone would mention RC and CR's comments above.... In the Ricky MXDN pic.
kongols
9/23/2016 4:32am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 4:33am
kongols wrote:
Went to Italy in 2009. It was so funny how all the Italians just got up and left after Cairoli crashed out on a start. And...

Rupert X wrote:
Mr. Kongols, are you an American or Englishman residing in Latvia, or have you simply acquired a masters degree in the English language ? Forgive my...
Mr. Kongols, are you an American or Englishman residing in Latvia, or have you simply acquired a masters degree in the English language ? Forgive my curiosity, always impressed when others take on our tricky talk....
I`m Latvian. Learnt English when I was a teenager. Starting from 14 years old I just studied english for an hour every day at home. I was reading everything I could get my hands on. In University my teacher was American from Iowa. That helped a lot to understand how to talk. English teacher who`s Latvian can not teach what he taught us.
And then I lived in USA for 3 years. It all helped.
Jimfunn
9/23/2016 4:52am
Rupert X wrote:
* Thought someone would mention RC and CR's comments above.... In the Ricky MXDN pic.
I noticed that & they do have a point.

I think / hope Webb has the same passion & commitment to this event as RC had & it will rub off on the others over the next few years.

As much as most of the euros love seeing USA not win, without them there it's a much smaller event & i'm sure most would actually rather see USA domination like a few years ago than a MXdN without USA in at all.
motomike137
9/23/2016 5:29am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 5:31am
Unadilla 1987! Still my favorite race I've ever spectated at. My two brothers and I reserved a hotel in Syracuse so that we could watch the Syracuse mile on Saturday and then head over to the DesNations on Sunday. Mother nature had other ideas though and the mile was obviously not going to happen so we headed to Unadilla on Saturday for practice. It was a little wet but not bad and the vibe was that with the weather forecast being 100% wet that the USA was not going to do well on Sunday. One of the highlights for me on Saturday was laying eyes on the aluminum frame works Yamaha YZM. The fact that we were production based here in the U.S. at that point made seeing a true exotic works bike like that one all that much more special. On a side note Unadilla basically allowed very restricted camping at this point and no alcohol and they were searching every vehicle on the way in. We spotted a bushel basket full of bags of weed they had confiscated lol! We were parking in the day lot though and managed to smuggle in a bottle under the back seat and we made mixed drinks in coke cans that we walked around with all day Smile Fast forward to Sunday and it obviously was going to be a serious mudder! We came prepared with rain suits and walked around and spectated from every vantage point on the track and had a blast. Most everyone knows the story of how the race went down and the controversy over Hannah being picked but he was the favorite son of the hill people and warmly received as our 125 pilot. The thing I remember most that stood out above and beyond all else was RJ just whipping the shit out of the field in the mud. He wasn't supposed to be able to ride the mud being a California native and I think he may have shocked the European faithful a little bit that day! To follow up the 86 race with that performance on our home soil still resonates through me to this day!
ayearinmx
9/23/2016 5:35am
12th MXoN in a row.... still the best race of the year

far too many stories to count, but every year I've had a great time
Sidecar
9/23/2016 5:56am
Iv been to a few, Lommel being a high light, the atmosphere was awesome from the moment we arrived on the Friday, chain saws, pit bikes, bonfires, even a car engine in a supermarket trolley, chaos.... On the Saturday eve my Mrs and son were tired so went to bed in our van earlyish so my brother and I decided we would go for a walk right around the out side of the whole campsite... 2 hours later we gave up, the event was MASSIVE, iv no idea how many people, 85-90,000 maybe more???? bigger than a decent size town, every time we turned a corner it was another field with another 500 or so vans, tents, etc.
As above Matterley was good too, I didn't even realise that security had walked off site that year.... Wimps!!!! Evil
Camp332
9/23/2016 7:36am
Only went to Budds in 07'...

Was setup with a Red Bull rv in the cool pits for the weekend thanks to my friends at NJ skateshop.
A rowdy Brit had a chainsaw without a bar or chain and we followed him through the pits as we knocked on Reed's rv door cheering for Reedy. Reed and Ellie open the door and Rowdy Chainsaw Brit holds the chainsaw wide open, all of us start yelling and cheering for Reed. Reed and Ellie start cracking up and yelling back. We left their rv only to find Ben Townley in a side by side. We all storm Townley with the chainsaw and he had a look of sheer terror on his face, slammed the SxS in reverse, then forward and pinned it out of there!

Lots of other cool shit like meeting Rupert and Alphado.

Amazing times
jamma10
9/23/2016 7:56am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2016 8:00am
I've been to several over the years, the campsites are hilarious but it's impossible to get any sleep. I remember that engine in the shopping trolley at Lommel very well! Here it is, terrible filming (not mine) but skip to 5.55 for the best view of it:

There was another crazy engine on display at Saint Jean d'Angely in 2011, it was so loud it was ridiculous. It seemed to have been built by a group of Belgian or German mad scientists who took it in turns to crank it up and see who could get the biggest flames to burst out of the exhausts all... night... long...
neysbo
9/23/2016 8:40am
Only one I went to was Unadilla with my brother in 1987. It still is one of the best racing experiences of my life. Still have a t shirt from the race and here are couple pics . The wheeling king managed to make ot around the whole track even with all the mud . Hannah on the track and than the party in the pits with Team USA just getting started.

mx_563
9/23/2016 10:19am
2001, Namur. The year USA didn't go. I'm living in Hannover Germany. Not military. Just got tired of silicon valley rat race. Found a gig abroad to experience life.

Anyway, my friends from California fly in and we drive over to Belgium. We stay at a youthhostel in Brussels and we tear up the pillow cases to make signs. One read "Americans Abroad miss Brown K-dub and RC" or something like that. I was hoping someone would notice during the race, maybe take our picture so the world would know that some Americans showed up to the event despite 9/11.

We take in the show. Our sign pretty much goes unnoticed. France wins. Finally, during the podium celebration, I spot Joe Bonnello. So I yell out to him and we flash the sign. He walks over and snaps our picture, we shoot the shit, and a month later the Jan 2002 issue of RacerX comes out. I turn to the MXdN story and there we are with our sign!!!!

The next time I saw Joe was 14 years later at the 2015 Glen Helen USGP. Told him the story. He was stoked. Good guy. Nay....awesome guy!

Post a reply to: YOUR Motocross Des Nations Stories ?

The Latest