XGames FMX- Riders are so good it's boring

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
Edited Date/Time 7/17/2017 12:53pm
Just finished watching the X Games freestyle and these guys are so good and refined that it is pretty boring, the crowd that was there barely cheered for a freaking double back flip. These guys are doing amazing tricks and risking their lives and it's just crickets. There was no fire from the crowd or the announcers. How long will X Games be around?

They might want to let some young guys go out there and give it a go, like the old days when the original guys just sent it, Mike Jones tried a barrel roll Laughing You didn't know if they would land it. The crowd was on the edge of their seats the whole time back in the day.
|
7/14/2017 9:38pm
I have a feeling that the Nitro World Games event is going to catch on as the XGames dies.
Alex814
7/14/2017 9:38pm
The presentation of the show has gone way downhill in my opinion. The hosts last night were terrible, it was actually borderline retarded. Also, I just moved after living a few years in Minneapolis, and those are some boring people.
Xeno
7/14/2017 9:55pm
Sherwood did three double-backflips in his final run!

The Shop

jamma10
7/15/2017 2:45am
FMX was boring ten years ago.
aeffertz
7/15/2017 4:19am
jamma10 wrote:
FMX was boring ten years ago.
Do yourself a favor and watch the Nitro World Games best trick. Holy shit, it was the nuttiest freestyle event I've ever watched. One of the guys does a front flip + rock solid. Just madness.
7/15/2017 5:19am
Alex814 wrote:
The presentation of the show has gone way downhill in my opinion. The hosts last night were terrible, it was actually borderline retarded. Also, I just...
The presentation of the show has gone way downhill in my opinion. The hosts last night were terrible, it was actually borderline retarded. Also, I just moved after living a few years in Minneapolis, and those are some boring people.
I live in minneapolis. People here are boring
305FC250
7/15/2017 6:18am
XGames in general is a shadow of what it was once. Tiny crowd turn outs so the weak crowd response doesn't surprise me. It is crazy though how wild riders have gotten in the FMX world.
Mx286
7/15/2017 6:35am
Was thinking the same thing last night. I miss all the old original tricks. These guys are doing insane trick after trick whereas it use to be doing a run holding out until the end for the big moment. I think that's where it gets kinda stale.

The XGames overall has went down hill. The smart phones, social media, video games and other gadgets have the majority of people and youth distracted from viewing. I know when I was a kid I looked forward every year when the XGames was on. Sucks but times have changed.
7/15/2017 6:58am
Never been a big fmx fan per say, but i love the early moto xxx, crusty, etc...movies of the mid to late 90's. I can only watch fmx contests for so long before I get bored.
Fourth_Floor
7/15/2017 6:59am
Way back when, when is was 17-18 (so 02-03 timeline) I used to do freestyle demos for Monster Jam (I believe that's what they called it back then). My intentions were to get my feet wet first with doing demos then try to compete but due to being young, extremely dumb, bad decisions, bad attitude and very little support, besides my brother, I ended up getting out of it. I don't really keep up with fmx anymore as I feel after the foam pit became a training staple the sport kind of lost it's luster. Not taking away from the current riders because they are doing some insane, high risk stuff, but you know they practiced it into a foam pit for several months beforehand and have it pretty dialed come showtime. I do think I remember reading somewhere that Adam Jones was one of the only guys that learned the majority of his backflip tricks straight to dirt which is insane. Carey Hart doing the first ever backflip, for the first time, over dirt at The Gravity Games is probably the most intense thing the sport has ever seen as well as TP's double backflip. I mean you could feel the tension and anxiety in the arena through your TV screen.

My very small, semi-professional stint was fun while it lasted, but I wasn't a mature enough 17 year old kid to be able to make any wise decisions with what I had going on at the time. I was able to give the sport 2 new tricks "The Rigormortis" which was a dead body to sterilizer and "The Highlighter" which was named after the fallen rider Adam Pierce and is a vertical dead body and the trick made it into the MX vs. ATV video games and Adam Jones is still doing the Highlighter today in his runs which is super cool.

Here's a pic of me doing the Highlighter at the first demo I did back in 02 I believe and a double grab on a 300lb Cannondale haha. Some of the funnest and darkest times of my life.

Bob693
7/15/2017 7:38am
Way back when, when is was 17-18 (so 02-03 timeline) I used to do freestyle demos for Monster Jam (I believe that's what they called it...
Way back when, when is was 17-18 (so 02-03 timeline) I used to do freestyle demos for Monster Jam (I believe that's what they called it back then). My intentions were to get my feet wet first with doing demos then try to compete but due to being young, extremely dumb, bad decisions, bad attitude and very little support, besides my brother, I ended up getting out of it. I don't really keep up with fmx anymore as I feel after the foam pit became a training staple the sport kind of lost it's luster. Not taking away from the current riders because they are doing some insane, high risk stuff, but you know they practiced it into a foam pit for several months beforehand and have it pretty dialed come showtime. I do think I remember reading somewhere that Adam Jones was one of the only guys that learned the majority of his backflip tricks straight to dirt which is insane. Carey Hart doing the first ever backflip, for the first time, over dirt at The Gravity Games is probably the most intense thing the sport has ever seen as well as TP's double backflip. I mean you could feel the tension and anxiety in the arena through your TV screen.

My very small, semi-professional stint was fun while it lasted, but I wasn't a mature enough 17 year old kid to be able to make any wise decisions with what I had going on at the time. I was able to give the sport 2 new tricks "The Rigormortis" which was a dead body to sterilizer and "The Highlighter" which was named after the fallen rider Adam Pierce and is a vertical dead body and the trick made it into the MX vs. ATV video games and Adam Jones is still doing the Highlighter today in his runs which is super cool.

Here's a pic of me doing the Highlighter at the first demo I did back in 02 I believe and a double grab on a 300lb Cannondale haha. Some of the funnest and darkest times of my life.

Crocachit, was crazy when you started doing those. Still one of my favorite tricks Adam does.
Fourth_Floor
7/15/2017 8:02am
Bob693 wrote:
Crocachit, was crazy when you started doing those. Still one of my favorite tricks Adam does.
Thanks bud. Definitely cool to still see it being done!! Jones is an animal.
mikec265
7/15/2017 8:14am
Nothing is new and exiting anymore, but I did buy VIP tickets for Nitro Circus Next month. I'm pretty much going in hopes that Travis will be riding. Gonna be a bummer if he's not.

I enjoy watching racing more than ever, but FMX is not really like it was. I'd rather watch an old Crusty or MotoXXX at home than go to a contest.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
7/15/2017 8:51am
mikec265 wrote:
Nothing is new and exiting anymore, but I did buy VIP tickets for Nitro Circus Next month. I'm pretty much going in hopes that Travis will...
Nothing is new and exiting anymore, but I did buy VIP tickets for Nitro Circus Next month. I'm pretty much going in hopes that Travis will be riding. Gonna be a bummer if he's not.

I enjoy watching racing more than ever, but FMX is not really like it was. I'd rather watch an old Crusty or MotoXXX at home than go to a contest.
Unfortunately I don't think Travis even goes to most of the regular touring Nitro Circus shows.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/15/2017 9:03am
We were all saying the same thing last night. My exact words were, "this is crazy! These guys are doing some gnarly stuff that could go bad really quick and yet everyone watches like it's no big deal now." I never thought we'd get to that point
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/15/2017 9:13am
X Games died with the proliferation of high speed internet.

You use to have to buy videos to see these incredible things being done and even by the time those videos were out there were rumors of other crazy tricks and jumps being attempted. X Games and Gravity Games were usually the only opportunity for most people to see what was currently the pinnacle of it all being done. Youtube and high speed internet created a way for people to share this stuff instantly, 24/7. Desensitized? Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened.

So X Games exists still by name and format but the experience died a long time ago and it's never coming back.
Titan1
7/15/2017 9:16am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 9:18am
FMX peaked...and began its slow death...with Travis and the double back flip. The X-Games too, for that matter.

deez387
7/15/2017 9:37am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 9:38am
Going tonight to watch best whip and best trick. Just got general admission tickets and there doesn't look to be a bad seat in the house. Crowd last night did look super boring though. That won't be us tonight
doofy
7/15/2017 9:48am
that's why I miss watching travis do FMX. NOBODY has matched his intensity and excitement, not even close since he left. He actually charged the course and attacked it like a race.

Best trick used to be exciting but after so many injuries/deaths they pulled it. this has probably already been mentioned but im too lazy to read all replies
Robgvx
7/15/2017 9:52am
Imagine going to a comedy show where all the comedians were brilliant, but all told the same six jokes over and over and over again...
BAMX
7/15/2017 10:09am
Robgvx wrote:
Imagine going to a comedy show where all the comedians were brilliant, but all told the same six jokes over and over and over again...
You pretty much summed it up. It is a whole different deal than when Travis, Metzger, Deagan, Linkogle etc.were doing it. In the early days, the tricks were all evolving and each contest was worth watching just to see the new stuff. Plus, the guys had a built in fan base from their racing days. Add to that the clean cut Travis vs the Mulisha dynamic and it was made for TV.
BobbyM
7/15/2017 10:51am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 10:53am
Just finished watching the X Games freestyle and these guys are so good and refined that it is pretty boring, the crowd that was there barely...
Just finished watching the X Games freestyle and these guys are so good and refined that it is pretty boring, the crowd that was there barely cheered for a freaking double back flip. These guys are doing amazing tricks and risking their lives and it's just crickets. There was no fire from the crowd or the announcers. How long will X Games be around?

They might want to let some young guys go out there and give it a go, like the old days when the original guys just sent it, Mike Jones tried a barrel roll Laughing You didn't know if they would land it. The crowd was on the edge of their seats the whole time back in the day.
This shit was better.
balls or dumb?
Swann
7/15/2017 11:01am
If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the documentary "Unchained - The Untold Story of Freestyle MX."

I am admittedly one of the people that used to have disdain for anything FMX. I remember thinking Brian Deegan and his cronies were a bunch of douchebags that were making motocross look stupid and degenerate.

I couldn't have been more wrong about all those guys and that documentary made me realize what an idiot I was.

FMX as a judged competition lost its luster years ago but the performance is still incredible and each one of those guys (and gals) deserves respect.
TxT0RKiT
Fantasy
4362nd
7/15/2017 11:08am
I was checking out the bikes. That Redbull KTM250SX was sweet! Those TP199 outdoor FMX runs on the 125 were fun to watch. I like the bigger outdoor tracks where the riders flow and could create different options.
tek14
7/15/2017 11:18am
FMX doesn't deliver after you seen one show... Cant believe it even made this far.
NorCal 50+
7/15/2017 11:50am
Way back when, when is was 17-18 (so 02-03 timeline) I used to do freestyle demos for Monster Jam (I believe that's what they called it...

That first one is insane- respect! I couldn't do that in about a million years, not intentionally at least.
7/15/2017 12:07pm
Freestyle was awesome to watch when it was pushing boundaries, when new tricks were being wheeled out every few months.
How many times can you be 'wow'd by the same trick? These guys are incredibly skilled without a doubt, and risk their life with every trick these days, but it's lost its shock factor. Nitro is cool to watch at the moment because they mix the incredible tricks with crazy 'stunts', it's entertaining.
JW381
7/15/2017 1:08pm
It's just not a winning format, for all of action sports. X Games rode, and in a lot of ways stared, the extreme sport craze, but it was never a great format. Taking things that are so badass and fluid and free, and turning them into timed, structured formats is just too contradictory.

IMO of course. Not that there haven't been some amazing X Games, because there have been. But it's definitely on amazing downhill slide.

Post a reply to: XGames FMX- Riders are so good it's boring

The Latest