Wow, The MXGPs look top notch!

dennisjonon
4/23/2014 4:52pm
Mx_Pain wrote:
Youthstream's promotion of the FIM Motocross World Championship is an emotive topic. There is no prizemoney at all, startfee is 1000 Euro each race wich probably...
Youthstream's promotion of the FIM Motocross World Championship is an emotive topic.

There is no prizemoney at all, startfee is 1000 Euro each race wich probably is the reason for the increasingly sparse line-ups behind the start-gate, where pay-to-play Grand Prix competitors have been able to simply purchase a 'ticket to ride' regardless of their ability on a motocross bike.

Source: http://gpmxactiongroup.org/Youthstream___the_FIM.html
But what you don't realise is there is a system in place. The way it works is riders can race in the European championships at the...
But what you don't realise is there is a system in place. The way it works is riders can race in the European championships at the exact same events as MXGP. If they do well, they will get noticed and picked up to ride in the World Championship. If the rider doesn't have a sponsor to pay 1000 euro entry fee, then he is probably not good enough to be racing.
It's not rocket science. It's not the FIM 40 man race. It's the world championship, the best vs the best. If the front runners are lapping, it adds in another luck element. Another guy is not a stationary object and can take one of the front runners out at anytime.
Think about it. Anyone who is fast enough to run top 10, will be picked up and sponsored.
If there was money up for grabs, it would just make Cairoli's pockets deeper. These riders are on bonuses from sponsors. It's not like they are getting nothing.

Just a little food for thought.
wow thanks for the insight from both of you i had no idea how it worked...

thats very interesting, though. thanks.

rhett, did that answer your question?
jemcee
4/23/2014 10:19pm
yeah I don't really get the hate that the small grids get.. I mean yeah at the start it looks a bit shit and yeah I'd rather a full grid but after half a lap I don't notice plus people complain about lappers, less riders less lappers I'm sure the leaders are stoked haha
jeffro503
4/23/2014 11:04pm
redrider52 wrote:
The racing is soo boring!
What races you watching? I think the GP's have been awesome to watch this year! We have some guys out there that are trying their best to run with AC222 and JH84. They are still the favorites......but they aren't walking away like they normally do.
adamdf
4/23/2014 11:07pm
redrider52 wrote:
The racing is soo boring!
jeffro503 wrote:
What races you watching? I think the GP's have been awesome to watch this year! We have some guys out there that are trying their best...
What races you watching? I think the GP's have been awesome to watch this year! We have some guys out there that are trying their best to run with AC222 and JH84. They are still the favorites......but they aren't walking away like they normally do.
The GPs are similar to the US when it comes to dominance, I think that no matter where you are, that's the nature of moto. I think AC would get into RV's head if RV had to spend year in Europe and vice versa, and i respect both equally. This sport has so many variables (similar to soccer) and that's what makes it so special.

The Shop

willie838
4/23/2014 11:45pm
finally found the airing date/time on my dvr, set to record this sunday morning.

looking forward to actually getting to see these guys race.
Robgvx
4/24/2014 1:19am
But what you don't realise is there is a system in place. The way it works is riders can race in the European championships at the...
But what you don't realise is there is a system in place. The way it works is riders can race in the European championships at the exact same events as MXGP. If they do well, they will get noticed and picked up to ride in the World Championship. If the rider doesn't have a sponsor to pay 1000 euro entry fee, then he is probably not good enough to be racing.
It's not rocket science. It's not the FIM 40 man race. It's the world championship, the best vs the best. If the front runners are lapping, it adds in another luck element. Another guy is not a stationary object and can take one of the front runners out at anytime.
Think about it. Anyone who is fast enough to run top 10, will be picked up and sponsored.
If there was money up for grabs, it would just make Cairoli's pockets deeper. These riders are on bonuses from sponsors. It's not like they are getting nothing.

Just a little food for thought.
Hi Geoff!
mmcmx
4/24/2014 1:41am
I also don't have any problem with less riders. Yes it sucks for privaters but as an spectator never cared about what happens between 20th and 40th. In fact I don't care what happens between 11th and 20th either. A 40 man gate is very photogenic but nothing else.
4/24/2014 2:11am
mmcmx wrote:
I also don't have any problem with less riders. Yes it sucks for privaters but as an spectator never cared about what happens between 20th and...
I also don't have any problem with less riders. Yes it sucks for privaters but as an spectator never cared about what happens between 20th and 40th. In fact I don't care what happens between 11th and 20th either. A 40 man gate is very photogenic but nothing else.
Exactly mate! You hit the nail on the head!
jamma10
4/24/2014 2:48am
mmcmx wrote:
I also don't have any problem with less riders. Yes it sucks for privaters but as an spectator never cared about what happens between 20th and...
You may as well just let the top 10 riders ride around because TV rarely covers anyone further back than that.

If you're trying to promote a series to new sponsors and TV companies then you want it to look like the best spectacle it can be. Having 20 odd riders per class looks pathetic and its less entertaining for spectators who are trackside. 30-40 rider gates is part of the sports appeal, the noise it creates, the frenzied blur of colours, riders battling all over the track with shorter gaps between one rider and the next etc etc

These days you pay more money for less entertainment when it comes to the main two classes. How is that beneficial for us fans?
4/24/2014 3:16am
jamma10 wrote:
You may as well just let the top 10 riders ride around because TV rarely covers anyone further back than that. If you're trying to promote...
You may as well just let the top 10 riders ride around because TV rarely covers anyone further back than that.

If you're trying to promote a series to new sponsors and TV companies then you want it to look like the best spectacle it can be. Having 20 odd riders per class looks pathetic and its less entertaining for spectators who are trackside. 30-40 rider gates is part of the sports appeal, the noise it creates, the frenzied blur of colours, riders battling all over the track with shorter gaps between one rider and the next etc etc

These days you pay more money for less entertainment when it comes to the main two classes. How is that beneficial for us fans?
That's a good point. But the event is the world championship! The European classes, bar the EMX300, they have 60 + riders, they qualify.
If you like watching 40 amatures on the track, then watching the EMX classes is right up your alley. So you do have the "entertainment" value you are after. The only difference is, the top guys are riding with less danger & they can focus on their race with out having to worry about cutting through the slower traffic.

Having the EMX at the MXGP event covers the bases. MXGP is the best in the world, we wanna see the best guys fighting for the title. If 40 guys were capable, for sure a gate of 40 would be expected. But realistically only 10 guys are capable of standing on the podium, the rest just fill up the class.

I don't know about you, but I never take my eyes off the top 5 & when the racing is as good as it has been this year, the blurs, the noise and everything you mentioned didn't even cross my mind.

Optimist versus the pessimist I guess..

Each to their own.
AK74
4/24/2014 3:30am
That's a good point. But the event is the world championship! The European classes, bar the EMX300, they have 60 + riders, they qualify. If you...
That's a good point. But the event is the world championship! The European classes, bar the EMX300, they have 60 + riders, they qualify.
If you like watching 40 amatures on the track, then watching the EMX classes is right up your alley. So you do have the "entertainment" value you are after. The only difference is, the top guys are riding with less danger & they can focus on their race with out having to worry about cutting through the slower traffic.

Having the EMX at the MXGP event covers the bases. MXGP is the best in the world, we wanna see the best guys fighting for the title. If 40 guys were capable, for sure a gate of 40 would be expected. But realistically only 10 guys are capable of standing on the podium, the rest just fill up the class.

I don't know about you, but I never take my eyes off the top 5 & when the racing is as good as it has been this year, the blurs, the noise and everything you mentioned didn't even cross my mind.

Each to their own.
G'day Geoff!
4/24/2014 3:31am
That's a good point. But the event is the world championship! The European classes, bar the EMX300, they have 60 + riders, they qualify. If you...

Each to their own.
I'm with jamma on that one.

With a small field comes less variety of racing.
No lappers, who often make lead battles exciting again, sucks for the leader but good for crowd.
Or if a top rider messes up the start, just love watching them go through the pack like it's nothing.
Or if the top ten just follows each other,and in the field a four way battle for place 15? i'm in!!

Of course you have to find a balance between quality and quantity like everywere else.
Robgvx
4/24/2014 3:57am
jamma10 wrote:
You may as well just let the top 10 riders ride around because TV rarely covers anyone further back than that. If you're trying to promote...

Each to their own.
"Positive people say positive things. Negative people say negative things"
jamma10
4/24/2014 4:01am
Im not sure WideF'nOpen is the "journalist" you think he is... his spelling is too good.
4/24/2014 4:15am
jamma10 wrote:

Each to their own.
Robgvx wrote:
This!
Robgvx
4/24/2014 4:23am

Each to their own.
Robgvx wrote:
This!
Yes. MXGeoff's signature.

Hi Geoff.

Post a reply to: Wow, The MXGPs look top notch!

The Latest