Would you sign?

FastGzus
Jeremy Martin to a big money deal to be your lead 450 rider?

The more I watch him and yes I know he's off his game this year, I don't think I would if I was a team owner. im just not convinced he will be a big thing in the 450 class. I tend to view him more towards being a solid 2nd guy or a lead guy on a satellite team. Before you throw two time national champ as your justification for him being a lead guy remember that it's just as easy to throw 125/250 champions who haven't translated to the 250/450 classes.
|
FastGzus
7/21/2016 9:45am
What what in your butt?.....
BobPA
7/21/2016 9:47am
I would not sign him as you #1. His indoor skills are not up to par, and his starts are mediocre at best. I think his size may limit him on the 459...but RC made being a borderline midget work

The Shop

FastGzus
7/21/2016 10:50am
I'd say 1/2 go on to win titles in the 450 class.

So you'd sign him to be your #1?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/21/2016 10:50am
FastGzus wrote:
Jeremy Martin to a big money deal to be your lead 450 rider? The more I watch him and yes I know he's off his game...

The more I watch him and yes I know he's off his game this year, I don't think I would if I was a team owner. im just not convinced he will be a big thing in the 450 class. I tend to view him more towards being a solid 2nd guy or a lead guy on a satellite team. Before you throw two time national champ as your justification for him being a lead guy remember that it's just as easy to throw 125/250 champions who haven't translated to the 250/450 classes.
It depends on who is available at the time but I would defiantly try to sign him but I wouldn't overpay. Lot of guys you would not think would do as good on the 450s are doing better then you would expect but the bottom line is if you can win on a 250 you can win on a 450 ,will he set the world on fire we will have to wait and see.
FastGzus
7/21/2016 10:56am
FastGzus wrote:
Jeremy Martin to a big money deal to be your lead 450 rider? The more I watch him and yes I know he's off his game...

lostboy819 wrote:
It depends on who is available at the time but I would defiantly try to sign him but I wouldn't overpay. Lot of guys you would...
It depends on who is available at the time but I would defiantly try to sign him but I wouldn't overpay. Lot of guys you would not think would do as good on the 450s are doing better then you would expect but the bottom line is if you can win on a 250 you can win on a 450 ,will he set the world on fire we will have to wait and see.
Definitely depends on who's out there but when your running a factory team and need a guy to lead the brand/team you don't always have the option to wait and see or get someone on the cheap. You have to project. If I was running A factory team I think I'd rather pay guys like Tickle/Milsaps etc for a year at a cost effective price rather then sign Martin for a contract with bigger dollars and years attached to it with hopes he becomes a title contender. I don't see him ever being a sx contender and I'm just not sold on him outdoors either even after 2-1/2 seasons of solid results.
RG1
7/21/2016 11:06am
I have thought this for a while. It depends on the team of course, but I don't see him as a lead rider for a factory team on a 450. He's not good enough at SX and even outdoors I have doubts whether he can be as good on a 450
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/21/2016 11:12am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 11:16am
FastGzus wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
It depends on who is available at the time but I would defiantly try to sign him but I wouldn't overpay. Lot of guys you would...
FastGzus wrote:
Definitely depends on who's out there but when your running a factory team and need a guy to lead the brand/team you don't always have the...
Definitely depends on who's out there but when your running a factory team and need a guy to lead the brand/team you don't always have the option to wait and see or get someone on the cheap. You have to project. If I was running A factory team I think I'd rather pay guys like Tickle/Milsaps etc for a year at a cost effective price rather then sign Martin for a contract with bigger dollars and years attached to it with hopes he becomes a title contender. I don't see him ever being a sx contender and I'm just not sold on him outdoors either even after 2-1/2 seasons of solid results.
I would not overpay because I agree he wont do much in SX but I think he will be solid for the nationals maybe not a guy to headline a team, I would sign him. But I would pick up a guy like Grant,Tickle,Milsaps or Weimer just because they all can run up front and have a few really good races but I would not throw the bank at any of them either. I would sign Stewart in a heartbeat but it would be performance based. Pinch

After my results in the moto fantasy leagues I would go bankrupt as a team owner anyway.
FastGzus
7/21/2016 11:22am
lostboy819 wrote:
FastGzus wrote:
Definitely depends on who's out there but when your running a factory team and need a guy to lead the brand/team you don't always have the...
lostboy819 wrote:
I would not overpay because I agree he wont do much in SX but I think he will be solid for the nationals maybe not a...
I would not overpay because I agree he wont do much in SX but I think he will be solid for the nationals maybe not a guy to headline a team, I would sign him. But I would pick up a guy like Grant,Tickle,Milsaps or Weimer just because they all can run up front and have a few really good races but I would not throw the bank at any of them either. I would sign Stewart in a heartbeat but it would be performance based. Pinch

After my results in the moto fantasy leagues I would go bankrupt as a team owner anyway.
Stewart I'd sign in a second but not to a performance base but to a attendance base. He'd be required to attend 85% of the races whether he's racing or not
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/21/2016 11:29am
You put him on your team as a #2 to a guy like Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, etc. to learn for a season or two and then take over. Or, a private Reed/Stewart type team takes him in as their lead rider once the old coots finally retire from full-time.
This sport is riddled with killer 125/250F guys who couldn't make the jump.
agn5009
7/21/2016 11:31am
Who else could you have as your lead guy? Dungey, Roczen and Tomac. Realistically, those are the only 3 that can win a title imo. (Until Gajser comes over) He would make a nice addition to a team any of those 3 are on. I wouldn't give him a huge contract like any of those 3 have, but he's definitely worth a great factory ride and definitely worth a pretty penny. I would say somewhere between Anderson, Barcia (I know he has a huge contract), and Baggett and the 3 title contenders.
kkawboy14
7/21/2016 11:40am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 11:40am
$30,000 a year plus big bonuses based on his finishes
BigDaddyG
7/21/2016 11:47am
Lets revisit this after his new contract with Gieco is up in a few years.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/21/2016 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 12:52pm
Only a handful of guys have ever jumped from 125/250f class to a #1 seat in the premier class. Its a big ask for anyone not just JMart
JW381
7/21/2016 12:26pm
Only reason I would anticipate Jeremy having above average success on a 450 is the strength of his program. Granted this year he is off, and he will have to get that figured out, but he seems to have his shit together far more than the last decade or so of 250 riders. Canard, Tomac, Roczen all come to mind. As opposed to Bogle, Baggett, Wilson, all of which are great riders and have solid setups, but not quite that refined level that the aforementioned trio has.
mx836
7/21/2016 2:50pm
FastGzus wrote:
I'd say 1/2 go on to win titles in the 450 class.

So you'd sign him to be your #1?
The way he is riding right now, I see him like a Blake Baggett with one more championship. He was noticeably faster in Supercross this year than in years past, though.
davistld01
7/21/2016 3:51pm
I'd say it wouldn't hurt JMart to do another year in the 250's. Heck, at this stage...I'd be faster to sign Alex to a 450 ride than I would Jeremy, and I never thought I'd say that.
USMCMXer
7/21/2016 3:58pm
FastGzus wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
FastGzus wrote:
An example of why your theory is so flawed is your example of Tickle. How many 250 SX races has he WON? I realize he was a champ in a depleted season out West, but championships don't get asterisks, he won it. How many 250 outdoor victories does he have? Moto wins? Yet you think he's a better choice? Good conversation piece, but you clearly aren't very objective, and likely just don't like J-Mart, if I had to guess? By the way, I am a BT20 fan as well!
tempura
7/21/2016 4:02pm
davistld01 wrote:
I'd say it wouldn't hurt JMart to do another year in the 250's. Heck, at this stage...I'd be faster to sign Alex to a 450 ride...
I'd say it wouldn't hurt JMart to do another year in the 250's. Heck, at this stage...I'd be faster to sign Alex to a 450 ride than I would Jeremy, and I never thought I'd say that.

FastGzus
7/21/2016 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 4:10pm
lostboy819 wrote:
FastGzus wrote:
USMCMXer wrote:
An example of why your theory is so flawed is your example of Tickle. How many 250 SX races has he WON? I realize he was...
An example of why your theory is so flawed is your example of Tickle. How many 250 SX races has he WON? I realize he was a champ in a depleted season out West, but championships don't get asterisks, he won it. How many 250 outdoor victories does he have? Moto wins? Yet you think he's a better choice? Good conversation piece, but you clearly aren't very objective, and likely just don't like J-Mart, if I had to guess? By the way, I am a BT20 fan as well!
You misinterpreted the point. I don't dislike Jeremy at all and acknowledged he's on a different level then Tickle. I said I'd sign Tickle as a place holder, someone who may occasionally give me a result and would be significantly cheaper then JMart. The point is JMart is a guy who's looked at as someone who could be "the man" and will be paid accordingly. I'm just not sure I view him that way and therefore wouldn't pay "the man" type money to bring him aboard
USMCMXer
7/21/2016 4:33pm
FastGzus wrote:
You misinterpreted the point. I don't dislike Jeremy at all and acknowledged he's on a different level then Tickle. I said I'd sign Tickle as a...
You misinterpreted the point. I don't dislike Jeremy at all and acknowledged he's on a different level then Tickle. I said I'd sign Tickle as a place holder, someone who may occasionally give me a result and would be significantly cheaper then JMart. The point is JMart is a guy who's looked at as someone who could be "the man" and will be paid accordingly. I'm just not sure I view him that way and therefore wouldn't pay "the man" type money to bring him aboard
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. I think sometimes I'm a little eager to assume someone is hating here on Vital, as it seems to be all too common. Sorry, FastGzus, just keeping things in perspective. I think he'll have above average success on a 450. His work ethic, talent and drive will translate. He's a bit of a late bloomer as well.
plowboy
7/21/2016 5:07pm
Come on fellers...Jeremy is a good sign for any team. If the plan is to put him on a 450 then give him a 3 year contract with the 1st year performance based with a bonus for top 3 finish. Let the 2nd/ 3rd year be based on the 1st. If my dumbass can figure this out then the factory legal guys had it covered from the get go.
51xc
7/21/2016 5:15pm
he lapped phil nicoletti on a sandtrack a couple weeks back, on his 250. He's the real deal. I'd sign him.
kkawboy14
7/21/2016 5:42pm
I thought everyone was saying he didn't have a ride?
neysbo
7/21/2016 6:38pm
He straight will be able to contend on a 450 in Outdoors, he flat out rips on one. Now as to SX that does seem to be his weak point so another year of 250SX be great and than 450 outdoors. Look how Marvin has done this year outdoors - pretty much right there behind KR and ET so that is where I would see Jeremy next year.
aeffertz
7/21/2016 6:40pm
davistld01 wrote:
I'd say it wouldn't hurt JMart to do another year in the 250's. Heck, at this stage...I'd be faster to sign Alex to a 450 ride...
tempura wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/21/144227/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Yeah because he totally killed everyone in SX and outdoors this year... FOH
tempura
7/21/2016 9:24pm
aeffertz wrote:
Yeah because he totally killed everyone in SX and outdoors this year... FOH
Well, he's won championships in the lites, and according to the "Vital mantra", if he's done that and stays in the lites for another season (regardless of injury or bad form) he's formally a "sandbagger" for the rest of his career. Or does that only apply to Herlings?.. lol
For what it's worth, I don't go with that bullshit, and believe they should ride the bike they want. I just find it slightly amusing of the double standards on these forums.

Post a reply to: Would you sign?

The Latest