With all these Exhaust companies how much differance could they be...?

Danster
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 7:42am
Pro Circuit, FMF, Yoshimura, Dubach, Leo Vince, Big Gun, Bills, Rocket, DEP,
That's the ones I could think of, sure there's twice as many...?
Seriously how much of a difference could each pipe make..?
I'm sure there's copy cats, stealing and cutting corners, but I would really like to know...?
|
jloucks742
9/8/2015 8:51pm
I think a lot of it comes down to quality and craftsmanship. Sure they can all post dyno sheets showing hp increases but when I'm making a purchase I want something that is going to hold up and last the longest
DL
9/8/2015 8:55pm
You should ask that question per bike model. Depends entirely on what the R&D set out to improve and how much effort was put into it. Typically I speak to some mag test riders to get their opinion then we get 2-4 competitors pipes to dyno against what we come up with then production. Some of the current OE designs are very good. A few examples are the YZ250/450F and the head pipes on the KTM FE models. The CRF's, KXF's and RMZ's leave more room for improvement. Weight, sound and looks play a role as well.
Torco1
9/8/2015 8:56pm
It's pretty obvious which ones are the better ones.......the more expensive......the better it is.....duh
Torco1
9/8/2015 9:05pm
Kidding aside.....like Don said, there's way more to it than just a straight up comparison. Each exhaust company has their own styles and ideas as to what works best in different situations and with different bikes. You can mess around with the length, diameter, shape, core size, packing, head pipe size and shape, etc.....All those things make a difference.......although most people wont notice much between all the differences....but some will.

The Shop

Outsider
9/8/2015 9:06pm
Torco1 wrote:
It's pretty obvious which ones are the better ones.......the more expensive......the better it is.....duh
No, its the ones with the biggest hole on the end... duh
Torco1
9/8/2015 9:07pm
Torco1 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
that's how I picked out my wife
Outsider
9/8/2015 9:09pm
Torco1 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Torco1 wrote:
I took the smallest
Torco1
9/8/2015 9:13pm
Outsider wrote:
Torco1 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
I took the smallest
I see that you prefer the snappy 125 2-stroke type.......I like the 200 hour worn out 520 4-stroke that puffs out smoke rings and drips shit everywhere.
Outsider
9/8/2015 9:22pm
Torco1 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
I took the smallest
Torco1 wrote:
I see that you prefer the snappy 125 2-stroke type.......I like the 200 hour worn out 520 4-stroke that puffs out smoke rings and drips shit...
I see that you prefer the snappy 125 2-stroke type.......I like the 200 hour worn out 520 4-stroke that puffs out smoke rings and drips shit everywhere.
Sorta like engaging with a puddle of mud?
9/8/2015 9:27pm
Torco1 wrote:
I see that you prefer the snappy 125 2-stroke type.......I like the 200 hour worn out 520 4-stroke that puffs out smoke rings and drips shit...
I just about spit my beer out reading this lol!!!!!!
Skuzzy29
9/8/2015 9:32pm
Some can't keep the tolerance between the wall and piston tight in the bigger bore! Wink
Outsider
9/8/2015 9:35pm
Skuzzy29 wrote:
Some can't keep the tolerance between the wall and piston tight in the bigger bore! Wink
Most can't and suffer from a lack of compression and disappointing performance causing them to trade in for newer modelsWink
JeepnMike
9/8/2015 9:38pm
Torco1 wrote:
X2 Laughing Nothing like a clapped out 4th owner ride to call your own!
Skuzzy29
9/8/2015 9:39pm
Skuzzy29 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Most can't and suffer from a lack of compression and disappointing performance causing them to trade in for newer modelsWink
Ahaahaahaaa... Grinning
The Rock
9/9/2015 12:42am
Pipes can make a substantial difference but it is usually more about moving the power to make the bike more rideable than it is increasing power but of course HP and torque are a big part of it. Some companies work better on stock motors while other exhausts work better on engines that have been hopped up.

9/9/2015 5:14am
Torco1 wrote:
JeepnMike wrote:
Come on boys put a plug in it! Wink
slipdog
9/9/2015 5:32am
JeepnMike wrote:
Come on boys put a plug in it! Wink
Speaking of putting a plug in it... This is the model of pipe I chose.

Sorry Don, I checked the Rocket website first, but you guys don't make a "0 decibel nag eliminator" system

oshow
9/9/2015 5:44am
Torco1 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Torco1 wrote:
Lmao
KMC440
9/9/2015 7:06am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 7:07am
Seriously my bike loves new little trinkets ... levers, grips, graphics. So now if I don't get it something ALL the freaking time it has this cough just off idle and unless I get it really hot on the line you can forget about jumping ............anything.
BOG BOG BOG that's all I hear .... super frustrating.

Oh and it won't EVER let me forget about the time I had many drinks past stopping time and tried repacking the silencer ! ! !
logan_140
9/9/2015 7:20am
DL wrote:
You should ask that question per bike model. Depends entirely on what the R&D set out to improve and how much effort was put into it...
You should ask that question per bike model. Depends entirely on what the R&D set out to improve and how much effort was put into it. Typically I speak to some mag test riders to get their opinion then we get 2-4 competitors pipes to dyno against what we come up with then production. Some of the current OE designs are very good. A few examples are the YZ250/450F and the head pipes on the KTM FE models. The CRF's, KXF's and RMZ's leave more room for improvement. Weight, sound and looks play a role as well.
Don have you ever thought about making 2 stroke pipes?
Darryl916
9/9/2015 7:25am
KMC440 wrote:
Seriously my bike loves new little trinkets ... levers, grips, graphics. So now if I don't get it something ALL the freaking time it has this...
Seriously my bike loves new little trinkets ... levers, grips, graphics. So now if I don't get it something ALL the freaking time it has this cough just off idle and unless I get it really hot on the line you can forget about jumping ............anything.
BOG BOG BOG that's all I hear .... super frustrating.

Oh and it won't EVER let me forget about the time I had many drinks past stopping time and tried repacking the silencer ! ! !
Might just have too many hours on it. Some models just aren't made to last. On those, once they start to run poorly it's nearly nothing that can be done to get it running right again. Can throw parts at it all day but if it's plane worn out it's done. Could rebuild it from the frame up but that usually costs more than the bike is worth. Consider a newer model or one of better quality more suitable for long term use. Most of us just get used to finessing the throttle a little to get our older bike started and hit the jumps when we can. The guys that like to start there bike on the first kick and rev the piss out of it cold get new bikes very often. Comes right back to what you can afford.

Happy riding....

Lefty Right
9/9/2015 7:26am
Depends on the quality of the muffler bearing that the company uses in there pipes.

9/9/2015 7:33am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 7:46am
I have been having the same thought about exhaust and who makes the holy grail.
I have two bikes...one with a Yosh and one with a FMF. Both are quality units.
But in my mind Im wanting to try a Dr.D, Bill's or Rocket as replacements. Smaller companies, with a tad more personal touch. Especially Rocket. What to do...

Ghost
MXD
9/9/2015 7:37am
As long as they don't F up the power curve, I'm usually after the lightest.
RPM68
9/9/2015 7:44am
Im an FMF guy all day long. The few I have heard that use Rocket absolutely love them. JKop Racing swear's by them and they offer one of the best qualities for the price after seeing and getting feedback.

Never bought a Yosh but I would consider one of those.

Hard to beat that 4.1 for weight, purrtyness and that S/A for the Forest.

MXD
9/9/2015 7:50am
DL wrote:
You should ask that question per bike model. Depends entirely on what the R&D set out to improve and how much effort was put into it...
Out of curiosity, what is the weight difference between your system and a stock system on the new KX450?
Aryen
9/9/2015 8:04am
Doesn't Akrapovic sell in the US? They're huge here, for instance they're the supplier of KTM Factory Racing.
Motofinne
9/9/2015 8:07am
Aryen wrote:
Doesn't Akrapovic sell in the US? They're huge here, for instance they're the supplier of KTM Factory Racing.
That's something i have always wondered about, Akrapovič is huge in Europe. And the quality is amazing.

Post a reply to: With all these Exhaust companies how much differance could they be...?

The Latest