Will our sport ever take The big "leap"?

logan_140
Basically what I'm asking is will it ever be relevant enough to not be tape delayed? It's happened more Then all of last season! Will monster being nascars main sponsor help us? One can only wish here..
|
yzf842
3/4/2017 4:06pm
It was last year. It feels like this year is taking a step backwards
F.B
3/4/2017 4:09pm
No, but to me that's a good thing . I don't get why so many people want moto to become mainstream.
hvaughn88
3/4/2017 4:10pm
Isn't the sport on somewhat of a decline? That industry summit they were talking about a couple weeks ago kind of gave me the indication (I could be wrong) that the sport was certainly not trending upwards.
logan_140
3/4/2017 4:17pm
yzf842 wrote:
It was last year. It feels like this year is taking a step backwards
Last year we had a couple fox network races!

The Shop

logan_140
3/4/2017 4:17pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Isn't the sport on somewhat of a decline? That industry summit they were talking about a couple weeks ago kind of gave me the indication (I...
Isn't the sport on somewhat of a decline? That industry summit they were talking about a couple weeks ago kind of gave me the indication (I could be wrong) that the sport was certainly not trending upwards.
Plenty of people on brand new bikes at the track but yea I see what you mean
tobz
3/4/2017 4:29pm
F.B wrote:
No, but to me that's a good thing . I don't get why so many people want moto to become mainstream.
We have comments like this, then we have threads complaining about why an unknown 20th place guy can't make a living out of it.

Boggles mind.
logan_140
3/4/2017 4:38pm
F.B wrote:
tobz wrote:
We have comments like this, then we have threads complaining about why an unknown 20th place guy can't make a living out of it.

Boggles mind.
Obviously it will never get NFL big or NBA and so on but come on.. we're put behind people fighting... we're a slight step ahead of monster jam
F.B
3/4/2017 4:53pm
F.B wrote:
tobz wrote:

Boggles mind.
I'm not the one complaining about the lack of money for privateers. No contradiction from me.
AlexB289
Fantasy
3271st
3/4/2017 5:12pm
Nope it's on a decline on the pro level. Local level I'd say it's doing just fine as far as people riding. The whole racing thing isn't as big anymore. More people just wanna go out and ride for fun.
Jmicmoto13
3/4/2017 5:37pm
I hope it doesn't take the leap. Could you imagine it being as popular as basketball? So many people riding and off road sites would get shut down 10x quicker than they are right now. I'm just fine with the size of our sport.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
3/4/2017 6:12pm
It could if it had riders that showed their true personality and the fans could get behind them. You need stars to take the next step, UFC has done that with their star fighters.

It could have happened in the Mid 2000s if Pastrana would have stayed healthy and stayed in Supercross. The drama of Pastrana/Carmichael/Reed/Stewart would have pushed it over the top. 4 guys with star power all trying to win because they hated losing.

The era of the Ryans has not had the drama/unpredictable results at the top that would keep the casual fans tuned in every Saturday. These guys now a days are all friendly and dont have the win or crash trying excitement that the casual fan wants to see.
Stephon
3/4/2017 6:31pm
It could if it had riders that showed their true personality and the fans could get behind them. You need stars to take the next step...
It could if it had riders that showed their true personality and the fans could get behind them. You need stars to take the next step, UFC has done that with their star fighters.

It could have happened in the Mid 2000s if Pastrana would have stayed healthy and stayed in Supercross. The drama of Pastrana/Carmichael/Reed/Stewart would have pushed it over the top. 4 guys with star power all trying to win because they hated losing.

The era of the Ryans has not had the drama/unpredictable results at the top that would keep the casual fans tuned in every Saturday. These guys now a days are all friendly and dont have the win or crash trying excitement that the casual fan wants to see.
No, I don't think Pastrana staying would have made a great, long lasting impact in making the sport more popular than it is now. I mean we had plenty of years of Carmichael/Reed/Stewart and we have what we have. Pastrana's involvement would've been great for us a fans, but it wasn't going to create a movement that would've resulted in mainstream sized results.

I've been a fan for a long as I can remember and will remain so, but it wouldn't surprise me if, in 15 years, the sport is basically the same in reach. Of course, I hope it reaches more people because I think MX/SX is some of the most exciting shit out there and I'd like to see riders, much deeper in the field, to be able to make a better living as world-class athletes.
Braaaphole
3/4/2017 6:44pm
I just got home from a LL qualifier, and what I saw was a bit shocking and a clear sign that the sport is on a decline. There were only a handful of 50's on the gate and only a few more 65's. Only 1 kid on a PW50, 1. There were so few that I believe all of them will advance to a regional by default. This is not a good thing. The sport starts with the kids. If there aren't any kids on the gates, who is going to advance and become the pros we love to watch?
Not a single class that ran today had a full gate. 250A had 6, 250B had 6. That's not going to keep the sport thriving.
BobPA
3/4/2017 7:24pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I just got home from a LL qualifier, and what I saw was a bit shocking and a clear sign that the sport is on a...
I just got home from a LL qualifier, and what I saw was a bit shocking and a clear sign that the sport is on a decline. There were only a handful of 50's on the gate and only a few more 65's. Only 1 kid on a PW50, 1. There were so few that I believe all of them will advance to a regional by default. This is not a good thing. The sport starts with the kids. If there aren't any kids on the gates, who is going to advance and become the pros we love to watch?
Not a single class that ran today had a full gate. 250A had 6, 250B had 6. That's not going to keep the sport thriving.
Loretta's ridiculous price is what is hurting that event. The amount of dough it costs to participate is out of hand. A few of my friends and I wanted to make a run in the +25 class this year (just qualify, not win lol). Started crunching the numbers for the costs involved to park/camp/race/travel and it equaled a nice down payment for a new garage. So we all scrapped the idea and planned 2 long moto weekends this year.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/4/2017 8:29pm
Markets, with fewer hurdles required (upon start up and continuation) will always be more accessible to the masses. It really is as simple as numbers.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/4/2017 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2017 9:00pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I just got home from a LL qualifier, and what I saw was a bit shocking and a clear sign that the sport is on a...
BobPA wrote:
Loretta's ridiculous price is what is hurting that event. The amount of dough it costs to participate is out of hand. A few of my friends...
Loretta's ridiculous price is what is hurting that event. The amount of dough it costs to participate is out of hand. A few of my friends and I wanted to make a run in the +25 class this year (just qualify, not win lol). Started crunching the numbers for the costs involved to park/camp/race/travel and it equaled a nice down payment for a new garage. So we all scrapped the idea and planned 2 long moto weekends this year.
The actual LL event is not hurting, for now, as they still get the maximum number of entries allowed and they still have alternate lists. The cost of the whole LL process (qualifiers, travel, etc.) hasnt really gone up. But, the number of people with the expendable income or desire to chase it, has gone way down. And, families that could afford/want to do it, arent even entering the sport. Kind of a double whammy. All the while, the chance to make a living at the sport is in serious decline as well. When you have high caliber riders, riding for no salary (like Bogle), its become a no brainer, more than ever.

However, as it stands now, its inevitable that LL's will be impacted, from the bottom up, if area and regional turnouts continue on the steep decline. The champion of getting local racing to improve has to be DC et al. They have a lot at stake that is based at the grass roots level of participation. To me, we currently reside in the most pinnacle of times as to whether our sport will make it, or not. So far, its not looking good, and time is of the essence. If its not too far gone already.
Ferro
3/4/2017 8:52pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I respectfully have to disagree.

While it is kids that go on to be pros, it is the young employed men that choose to spend their money and time on the sport that make it.

Kids whose parents are pushing them generally end up leaving the sport between the time girls and financial realities come around. Additionally the ever growing numbers of kids classes, although not participants, take up more and more of the day, leaving the seniors with less riding time. Add to the mix Moto Dads, and the beat thing that could happen is that the juniors seperate from the Seniors.

Kids riding is great but it isnt the future.

Just my opinion though.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/4/2017 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2017 9:08pm
^^^^The smaller number of kids riding/racing, leads to a smaller number of young employed men to spend time and money on MX. Sure, some get in late, but those are exceptions, not the rule. In other words, no kids equals no men with money (at least of a sustainable amount). Its a numbers game.
Hank_Thrill
3/4/2017 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2017 10:42pm
Once Donald Trump turn this economy around, our sport will be bigger than it ever has been. Right now we have too many working class jobs overseas and too much money in the hands of a few billionaires. These jobs and wealth distribution take from the working class riders that fill the gates.
wfo4ever
3/4/2017 11:42pm
The sport of riding or racing motorcycles has to have new young riders for it to continue to survive. That is a fact. How many kids in your neighborhood race or even ride? How many kids race or ride at your local schools? How close is the nearest track or riding area from your residence? How many dealers, tracks, and riding areas have closed near you in the past 10 years? How many forum members have kids that race or ride? Do you buy your kids a new bike and gear every year? Just a few questions that will show you the decline has already started with new young riders. Most young people want smart phones, computers, head phones and video games these days. Also you could ask all the many industry employees that were recently fired from Tucker Rocky Distributing if they think the sport is on a decline, some were with the company for many years. They also closed two of their warehouses down, all those workers are unemployed now too. Ask your local dealers how they are doing, most will tell you not very well if they are honest with you. Sad but true. I hope it survives, because I love motorcycles and have been riding for 50 years. But none of my 5 children ride motorcycles and I have a garage full that they could be riding. They have no desire to ride at all, but they all have smart phones. computers, and video games as do all of their friends.
3/5/2017 12:27am
It could if it had riders that showed their true personality and the fans could get behind them. You need stars to take the next step...

Stephon wrote:
No, I don't think Pastrana staying would have made a great, long lasting impact in making the sport more popular than it is now. I mean...
No, I don't think Pastrana staying would have made a great, long lasting impact in making the sport more popular than it is now. I mean we had plenty of years of Carmichael/Reed/Stewart and we have what we have. Pastrana's involvement would've been great for us a fans, but it wasn't going to create a movement that would've resulted in mainstream sized results.

I've been a fan for a long as I can remember and will remain so, but it wouldn't surprise me if, in 15 years, the sport is basically the same in reach. Of course, I hope it reaches more people because I think MX/SX is some of the most exciting shit out there and I'd like to see riders, much deeper in the field, to be able to make a better living as world-class athletes.
I disagree. When Pastrana was racing or doing the X Games it turned into an event along the lines of the Superbowl. I turned all my friends who gave 2 shits about moto on to it from the day when Pastrana jumped his bike into the bayin 97. That turned into wanting to watch him race sx or mx from there on out. I've had the same group of friends for a long time, Ive watched many a big events (superbowl, early ufc fights, etc.) but you have never seen a group of guys pay so much attention to an event as they did when Pastrana busted out the double backflip on live tv......one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed. We all went nuts when he landed. Then came Carmichael (who I love), hardcore training, 4 strokes that priced a lot of people out of the sport, and boring racing. Our sport had our window then and missed out. Don't sell Pastrana's contributions short.
3/5/2017 12:30am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Isn't the sport on somewhat of a decline? That industry summit they were talking about a couple weeks ago kind of gave me the indication (I...
If you look at the demographics of the United States - it may explain why Moto as well as NASCAR are slipping and other sports other climbing. We had a good run....
3/5/2017 12:32am
Don't know about over there but here it will never grow bigger than a niche sport. It's not relateable to the masses, they can buy a football or rugby ball and be the next top star. Even MotoGP is popular enough for the dad's that want to get away from the family and go for a weekend blast on his road bike.

For any sport the fans have to appreciate the skill involved....no one is impressed by something they can easily imagine themselves doing (how many times have you heard, "all you have to do is twist the throttle the bike does the work".

It's not easy buying a bike, kit, transportation then getting to the track, bike prep and maintenance. Add to that the costs and lack of tracks, most people would prefer to go for a kick about on a Sunday morning then down the pub for a few.
3/5/2017 2:23am
As much respect as I have for the top riders these days I think they just don't look like they are having fun now like they use to in the 90s and early 2000s.

When you used to see McGrath, Emig and Pastrana looking like they were just having fun and not taking everything so seriously it made the sport look fun. Now all we hear from Dungey and Tomac is how much prep and training they do, I think Roczen was trying to bring the fun back before he got hurt so hopefully he heals up and makes it look fun again.
PEPE001
3/5/2017 3:51am
gpnewhouse wrote:
As much respect as I have for the top riders these days I think they just don't look like they are having fun now like they...
As much respect as I have for the top riders these days I think they just don't look like they are having fun now like they use to in the 90s and early 2000s.

When you used to see McGrath, Emig and Pastrana looking like they were just having fun and not taking everything so seriously it made the sport look fun. Now all we hear from Dungey and Tomac is how much prep and training they do, I think Roczen was trying to bring the fun back before he got hurt so hopefully he heals up and makes it look fun again.
+1
Acidreamer
3/5/2017 5:23am
You cant spend $20 on moto to get a kid into it like you can pretty much every other sport. You cant rely on a coach at school to teach them how to ride like every other sport. Moto will always be small because it takes money to do it. To maintain two bikes and ride every weekend it costs me probably 5k a year when you factor every expense in. On top of that about 5k per person startup cost for bikes and gear.
NeKawBoy
3/5/2017 5:35am
The reason for the tape delay's this year is the fact that as a network Fox purchased part of UFC so, now it takes precedent. According to the Pulp Show FS1 and FS2 will go back to having more live events next year.
As far as the industry goes...yes, it's in a decline. The modest gains that we realized in the last 5 years were erased last year...and then some. We also have a serious revenue problem in the industry...10 years ago the Honda Goldwing, a $18,000 model that routinely left with $2500 accessories was one of the top selling motorcycles...today it's been replaced by the Honda Grom.
Due to the aging out of the baby-boomers, followed by a relatively small group of generation X riders, means the industry will be riding the struggle bus until the tail end of millennials and digital learners hit their buying age. When that happens i believe we experience a similar renaissance that we experienced after the industries decline in the late 70's/early 80's.
If i was on the board at an oem right now i would take my budget and trucks that i have allocated for professional SX and MX and begin a comprehensive training program to get kids engaged with safely riding motorcycles. Pull up in a parking lot, set up an easy to learn on course, train a few hundred local kids how to ride safely and suddenly you have a lot more people in a community championing for riding areas. I love racing, i grew up racing but, it costs us more new riders than it gains us...imagine spending millions of dollars on a sport that scares new riders from ever getting a bike.
3/5/2017 8:18am
Other major sports seem to think having kids participate is a big indicator of viewership. www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2016/11/28/youth-football-participation-tr…
As someone said earlier until you ride a dirt bike you can't fully appreciate what these guys are doing.

One way forward could be a stock electric bike class for kids. All parts could be spec. Less maintenance, less wrenching, and more time riding.

Also I know around here parents have their kids in all kinds of summer camps all summer long and are paying big bucks for their kids to play lego all week. Manufacturers could step up and supply bikes to local tracks and cover the costs of camp for new kids.

Personally it's tough I tried my kid in it, I never did it myself. He crashed pretty good and got spooked, now we trail ride and he races karts. He will use same chassis from 10 to 16 yr old. Motors are sealed only have to change oil and can last several years and are $700 new. Same briggs engine for all classes and ages just change slider as they go up. I can't say karting is booming either though.
resetjet
3/5/2017 8:41am
The sport where the same guys always win???? Ahhhh no sorry.

Post a reply to: Will our sport ever take The big "leap"?

The Latest