Will dunge get burnt out with Aldon?

Pirate421
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 8:52am
This is something I've been thinking about. We've heard it before that riders were stretched too thin with Aldon, be it over training or under eating, not enough muscle, or too much cardio.
Villo, KRoc, AC44. Will Ryan be a victim of the Aldon camp. Take it easy, because obviously Aldon has taken RD's mental fitness to another level and also his physical fitness. But will he burn out? People started threads last year about him looking really thin and he hasn't hit the deck hard in over two years, but will he be able to sustain the fitness and mental toughness that he's had the last two years? Just curious, we know Ryan has one of the highest work ethics in the business so will they overdo it? I believe that could be the Achilles heel to his regimen, overtraining
|
motox11
4/19/2016 7:48pm
Ryan will not get burnt out. He said himself he was putting in longer days before Baker started training him.
hillbilly
4/19/2016 7:51pm
I try not to think about much,just easier on everyone.
Pirate421
4/19/2016 7:54pm
All good. I just see dunge as being at such a peak right now you have to wonder what will be the tipping point at the top and how long they can sustain the dominance. They obviously are working about as good as a team could work right now. I was listening to PulpMx and they talk about how all
These 250 guys get Epstein Barr and over train and if there was one thing that could throw a stick in dungeys wheel I think overtraining could be it. Doesn't seem like many riders can sustain the Aldon camp forever.
jeffro503
4/19/2016 8:12pm
I don't think he will. ( get burnt out ) at least for a while. RD seems to thrive on the training aspect of this sport. I honestly don't even think he's peaked quite yet. The one thing RD has over someone like RV....is that he likes the training part of this sport. RV on the other hand fought Aldon tooth and nail on everything. RV kept Aldon around because he knew he needed him. He needed someone there to push him to his limits. Dungey accepts it well and i bet Aldon digs having a guy just do what he says.

The Shop

Flip109
4/19/2016 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 8:20pm
Dungey will ride two more years after this one. Prob win everything in sight and hang it up or go ride GPs. He will go out like RC on his own terms and successful.
zehn
4/19/2016 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 8:30pm
Pirate421 wrote:
All good. I just see dunge as being at such a peak right now you have to wonder what will be the tipping point at the...
All good. I just see dunge as being at such a peak right now you have to wonder what will be the tipping point at the top and how long they can sustain the dominance. They obviously are working about as good as a team could work right now. I was listening to PulpMx and they talk about how all
These 250 guys get Epstein Barr and over train and if there was one thing that could throw a stick in dungeys wheel I think overtraining could be it. Doesn't seem like many riders can sustain the Aldon camp forever.
Right, but the majority of 250 riders (nearly everyone not named Davalos) are in their late teens to early 20s when they start those brutal regimens. I for one think that the human body (for most normal people) can't sustain that level of training at that age.

I mean, I'm no exercise physiologist, but look at damn near any endurance sport. Dudes in the late 20s and early 30s dominate those sports. Obviously MX is different, but the human body isn't.

AC was how old when he started with Aldon? Like 18? KRoc was like 20-21. Dungey was 25 I believe.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/19/2016 8:32pm
Pirate421 wrote:
This is something I've been thinking about. We've heard it before that riders were stretched too thin with Aldon, be it over training or under eating...
This is something I've been thinking about. We've heard it before that riders were stretched too thin with Aldon, be it over training or under eating, not enough muscle, or too much cardio.
Villo, KRoc, AC44. Will Ryan be a victim of the Aldon camp. Take it easy, because obviously Aldon has taken RD's mental fitness to another level and also his physical fitness. But will he burn out? People started threads last year about him looking really thin and he hasn't hit the deck hard in over two years, but will he be able to sustain the fitness and mental toughness that he's had the last two years? Just curious, we know Ryan has one of the highest work ethics in the business so will they overdo it? I believe that could be the Achilles heel to his regimen, overtraining
How about this? I've never seen Ryan as at ease, or faster than he is right now.

I think he may also be training less than in the past, but doing more race practice, which sure seems to benefit him

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
Pirate421
4/19/2016 8:34pm
True. My wife did a triathlon last week and she was the youngest competitor at 30. All the top competitors were in their 40's. I don't think dungey is at his peak but I think he is at "a peak" in his career. Can he sustain the training he's doing or what will be the start of the downslope in his career. He seems unstoppable right now
Silliker269
4/19/2016 8:34pm
I think he is a Johnny O type dude who enjoys the training aspect of it.
Pirate421
4/19/2016 8:37pm
Pirate421 wrote:
This is something I've been thinking about. We've heard it before that riders were stretched too thin with Aldon, be it over training or under eating...
GuyB wrote:
How about this? I've never seen Ryan as at ease, or faster than he is right now. I think he may also be training less than...
How about this? I've never seen Ryan as at ease, or faster than he is right now.

I think he may also be training less than in the past, but doing more race practice, which sure seems to benefit him

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
I agree. I'm about as far from the industry as one can get but all the videos and interviews and podcasts that I've listened too it seems like Aldon has been better for dungeys mental stability. He's always worked hard but needed the confidence in himself and the structure and stability in his program that Aldon can provide. A reassurance in himself I guess.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
4/19/2016 8:52pm
Flip109 wrote:
Dungey will ride two more years after this one. Prob win everything in sight and hang it up or go ride GPs. He will go out...
Dungey will ride two more years after this one. Prob win everything in sight and hang it up or go ride GPs. He will go out like RC on his own terms and successful.
Honestly, I would have to agree with you on this one.
zehn
4/19/2016 8:55pm
Flip109 wrote:
Dungey will ride two more years after this one. Prob win everything in sight and hang it up or go ride GPs. He will go out...
langhammx wrote:
Honestly, I would have to agree with you on this one.
So assuming he rides two more years, and assume he wins both MX and SX this year and for the next two (massive assumption I know, and highly unlikely). Where does that put him on the list of greatest riders?

Hell, what if he even wins half of the cships for the next two years?
USMCMXer
4/19/2016 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 9:47pm
zehn wrote:
Right, but the majority of 250 riders (nearly everyone not named Davalos) are in their late teens to early 20s when they start those brutal regimens...
Right, but the majority of 250 riders (nearly everyone not named Davalos) are in their late teens to early 20s when they start those brutal regimens. I for one think that the human body (for most normal people) can't sustain that level of training at that age.

I mean, I'm no exercise physiologist, but look at damn near any endurance sport. Dudes in the late 20s and early 30s dominate those sports. Obviously MX is different, but the human body isn't.

AC was how old when he started with Aldon? Like 18? KRoc was like 20-21. Dungey was 25 I believe.
AC was 14 (he's only 19 now), KROC 18 (he's 21) and Dungey just turned 26 in Dec, so he would've been 23 or 24. RV is only 27 now! Amazing how young these "veterans" really are!

In my opinion, the guys that get Epstein Barr are guys who get injured, are immuno-compromised, or are behind the power curve and try to make up for lost time by over-training. The human body can endure a smartly executed, extremely difficult training regimen a lot better than one may think. Most people's minds will give up before their muscles.
bvm111
4/19/2016 10:30pm
I am pretty sure Aldon has controls in place to mitigate overtraining... Wink
4/19/2016 10:48pm
With Aldon taking Dungeys blood every five minutes I think he is on top of monitoring Dungeys level of fitness and could be building a plateau at the peak to keep Dungey from over training.
zehn
4/19/2016 11:35pm
USMCMXer wrote:
AC was 14 (he's only 19 now), KROC 18 (he's 21) and Dungey just turned 26 in Dec, so he would've been 23 or 24. RV...
AC was 14 (he's only 19 now), KROC 18 (he's 21) and Dungey just turned 26 in Dec, so he would've been 23 or 24. RV is only 27 now! Amazing how young these "veterans" really are!

In my opinion, the guys that get Epstein Barr are guys who get injured, are immuno-compromised, or are behind the power curve and try to make up for lost time by over-training. The human body can endure a smartly executed, extremely difficult training regimen a lot better than one may think. Most people's minds will give up before their muscles.
Didn't Dungey start training with Aldon just last year? At the youngest he would have been 24.
JackLHyde
4/20/2016 1:35am
Listen to the podcast on RacerX with John Tomac. To him a lot of guys are overdoing it to the degree it's useless for moto. He has a point in saying moto isn't an endurance sport. It's high impact for a medium distance, he compared it to a 10K runner.
51xc
4/20/2016 2:32am
JackLHyde wrote:
Listen to the podcast on RacerX with John Tomac. To him a lot of guys are overdoing it to the degree it's useless for moto. He...
Listen to the podcast on RacerX with John Tomac. To him a lot of guys are overdoing it to the degree it's useless for moto. He has a point in saying moto isn't an endurance sport. It's high impact for a medium distance, he compared it to a 10K runner.
yeah, really liked the podcast. pretty interesting as well that he mentioned that a lot of the guys seem to go all balls out on the bicycle and how he things that moto should be by far the majority of the training.
Question
4/20/2016 3:19am

The real question could also be "Will Aldon get burnt out with dunge ?". That must not be easy to work with athletes !
Fearo
4/20/2016 3:27am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2016 3:28am
Will he get burnt out? Probably not.
Will his career be shorter than it would be without Aldon? Probably.

It's no secret Aldon has a 'get in and get out' mentality about the sport, which was one of the reasons for the split with Roczen. Kenny said there was no way his body could handle that program in the long run, and that he would choose a long career over a short one. There's no arguing with Dungey's results, and he was already probably the fittest racer before he even got on Aldon's program, but I don't see the likes of Musquin and Anderson keeping up with that program for their entire careers.
kongols
4/20/2016 3:28am
I don`t remember in which video, but Baker said that a human can sustain his program for 4 years. It`s designed to produce maximum results in a short period of time. So, if you`re looking for a long career, his program is not for you.
Jrewing
4/20/2016 3:41am
It's all rosy whilst he's winning. Throw pressure in from tomac from last year or roczen in his zone it could change quick
JSmith
4/20/2016 4:33am
motox11 wrote:
Ryan will not get burnt out. He said himself he was putting in longer days before Baker started training him.
This

Plus the fact that he will likely only race one more year after this season.
JSmith
4/20/2016 4:37am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2016 4:39am
Flip109 wrote:
I thought he has hinted vaguely that he will likely retire at the end of the 2017 season. I believe his contract with KTM is up at that time. I'm sure he could re-up for another year or two with them if he wanted, but that is not what the rumors have been.

He turned pro in 2006 and has probably missed the least amount of races (percentage wise) of any pro racer ever in this sport.
kongols
4/20/2016 5:21am
JSmith wrote:
I thought he has hinted vaguely that he will likely retire at the end of the 2017 season. I believe his contract with KTM is up...
I thought he has hinted vaguely that he will likely retire at the end of the 2017 season. I believe his contract with KTM is up at that time. I'm sure he could re-up for another year or two with them if he wanted, but that is not what the rumors have been.

He turned pro in 2006 and has probably missed the least amount of races (percentage wise) of any pro racer ever in this sport.
Absolutely. It`s sort of a miracle if you ask me. All I can remember is two races missed due to broken collarbone.
Pirate421
4/20/2016 5:23am
Even the PulpMx show on Monday Mitch Payton, Watson jt$ to name a few are not fans of the Aldon training schedule. Obviously it works but seems like these athletes come into the program and become disposable.
Flip109
4/20/2016 5:38am
JSmith wrote:
I thought he has hinted vaguely that he will likely retire at the end of the 2017 season. I believe his contract with KTM is up...

Maybe you are right. I just remember hearing two more years a while back. Maybe this year is included in that. Either way he will ride off into the sunset successful on his own terms.. Wonder if he will stick around the sport as a coach or team manager or something?
IWreckALot
4/20/2016 6:00am
USMCMXer wrote:
AC was 14 (he's only 19 now), KROC 18 (he's 21) and Dungey just turned 26 in Dec, so he would've been 23 or 24. RV...

Your last 2 sentences are where I think Dungey is heads and tales ahead of the field. The rest of the field could easily be working as hard as he is, but he is working more efficiently and smarter than the rest of the field.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/20/2016 6:13am
Trust me, Dungey will retire after the 2017 seasom.
BD354
4/20/2016 6:42am
Absolutely not. Ryan loves the training aspect of the sport. Sure some days are more challenging than others, but 95% of the time he looks forward to the bike rides, gym, etc... He is the only rider I know that will probably do marathons and/or triathlons for fun when he retires.

Post a reply to: Will dunge get burnt out with Aldon?

The Latest