Will SX/MX become as mainstream as Nascar?

StatutoryApe
11/20/2011 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 8:57pm
I don't get you guys who think it would be bad for the sport if it went mainstream, but to each their own. I think the reason we wont ever get to the mainstream status of nascar is purely based on marketing, and i don't think it has anything to do with the spectators who buy and ride/racie a bike, not every nascar fan runs a late model at their local speedway. If our sport does not figure out a way to better market itself then i don't see it going anywhere. JMO
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
11/20/2011 9:25pm
why do people care if it gets bigger or more mainstream, what exactly would the benefit be?
The benefit would be these world class athlete's that put their life on the line week in and week out, would start to get the pay...
The benefit would be these world class athlete's that put their life on the line week in and week out, would start to get the pay and recognition they deserve.
and what is that?
What is what?
sharkey
11/20/2011 9:42pm
why do people care if it gets bigger or more mainstream, what exactly would the benefit be?
well for one it would be nice to see it support more riders. sucks you can be a bench warmer in the nfl and not play and make a couple hundred gs. i imagine the salary of 1 football team would pay for the entire ama riders salaries
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/21/2011 6:57am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2011 7:00am
I don't know if it needs to go mainstream, Feld is already putting 15 mill a year in their pockets. The sport itself needs to take itself serious starting with the riders. The riders need to unionize and demand some of that revenue, they to make Feld put a mill a year into a trust fund that injured riders don't have to beg for money. Injured riders should be fully covered.

They could start some type of pension plan for the riders who have raced a certain amount of years of full time racing. Guys like Kyle Lewis and Jason Thomas have dedicated their lives and bodies to this sport and should be insured some type of living wage and Insurance for when their bodies start to break down. Both of those guys are smart and will do fine outside of racing, but what about the guys who haven't? The system of this sport takes 16 year old pros and eats them up and spits them out, leaving us with unemployable ex pros.Once the riders start taking away Felds revenue, they will have no choice but to market their product in a more profitable way.

The next thing that needs to happen is for every team to look at Hart & Huntington and learn from their marketing. H&H is not selling a product, but a life style, when you go in the pits what team do you remember most? 20% of the attendees at a supercross race actually race, so the old saying win on Sunday sells on Monday is no longer true. More like what is hip on Saturday will sell on Monday.

75% of supercross attendees are there to see a show, not a race and they need to embrace that. I know that kill the Vital crowd to hear, but to the masses our sport is a show, nothing more nothing less
. Embrace it and market it as such.

The Shop

spd721
11/21/2011 7:32am
It never will thanks to Feld.
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2768th
11/21/2011 8:33am
powDIRT wrote:
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents...
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents are going to stop pushing their kids to ride motorcycles.

Also factor in cost, and the lack of places to freeride in many places. I think the sport does not have a bright future.

I know I'm going to get blasted. Sorry for the negativity. Just being real.

I want it to get huge more than anything, but I just don't see it.
Highsider wrote:
Sums it up.
Does everybody that likes Football play it on the weekends? If having a popular local scene had anything to with the popularity of a pro league...
Does everybody that likes Football play it on the weekends? If having a popular local scene had anything to with the popularity of a pro league or series, I think Softball would be the biggest pro sport
Exactly, i love watching hockey but i never played the game in my life.
Moto331
11/21/2011 8:49am
tobz wrote:
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the...
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the way Ralph starts off the show comes close to how a circus is introduced. It doesn't sound serious, it needs to give a sense that it's big business and this shit matters. Not just an hour long infomercial on monster energy.

Look at motogp or the like. The commentators commentate on the moves happening on screen, not dribbling shit about that has nothing to do on screen. And they don't give off a cheesy feel to the sport. Leigh duffy or diffy? Done a great job at the nationals a couple of years ago. These guys now are all about 1 liners and repetitive phrases.

Smarten the show up and people will take notice.

IMO, anyway,
Drew580 wrote:
I agree. Supercross is becoming way too much like monster trucks. It is more of a show than a racing event.
Agree with everything. Ralph should be fired.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3120th
11/21/2011 9:11am
tobz wrote:
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the...
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the way Ralph starts off the show comes close to how a circus is introduced. It doesn't sound serious, it needs to give a sense that it's big business and this shit matters. Not just an hour long infomercial on monster energy.

Look at motogp or the like. The commentators commentate on the moves happening on screen, not dribbling shit about that has nothing to do on screen. And they don't give off a cheesy feel to the sport. Leigh duffy or diffy? Done a great job at the nationals a couple of years ago. These guys now are all about 1 liners and repetitive phrases.

Smarten the show up and people will take notice.

IMO, anyway,
Nailed it. That is exactly what I've been saying these days, it's how the sport is being portrayed on TV. It needs to look professional, and be about the competition of the race -- not the 'exciting madness of crashes and fireworks on a dirt track!!' type thing. It's a *highly competitive and serious* sport, not a freak show like Monster Trucks. Because they make it out to be some circus show on TV, most people view it as such.

Part of the difficulty is immediately once the race starts, the riders are spread out and the TV crew has to choose who to follow & commentate. It's not like most sports where the camera can follow all of the action all of the time. Motocross is really hit or miss with what the viewers are seeing.

I think they need more cameras dedicated to capturing all of the riders during the entire race, so that they can quickly switch to another battle/group of riders, and show any footage that was just missed (ie. a crash/incident.) Then, they need to hire serious commentators that are professional and all about the competition within the race, who are analyzing and breaking down the race as opposed to just jotting dumb comments around.
Moto331
11/21/2011 9:20am
Rewindcaz wrote:
Nailed it. That is exactly what I've been saying these days, it's how the sport is being portrayed on TV. It needs to look professional, and...
Nailed it. That is exactly what I've been saying these days, it's how the sport is being portrayed on TV. It needs to look professional, and be about the competition of the race -- not the 'exciting madness of crashes and fireworks on a dirt track!!' type thing. It's a *highly competitive and serious* sport, not a freak show like Monster Trucks. Because they make it out to be some circus show on TV, most people view it as such.

Part of the difficulty is immediately once the race starts, the riders are spread out and the TV crew has to choose who to follow & commentate. It's not like most sports where the camera can follow all of the action all of the time. Motocross is really hit or miss with what the viewers are seeing.

I think they need more cameras dedicated to capturing all of the riders during the entire race, so that they can quickly switch to another battle/group of riders, and show any footage that was just missed (ie. a crash/incident.) Then, they need to hire serious commentators that are professional and all about the competition within the race, who are analyzing and breaking down the race as opposed to just jotting dumb comments around.
Dude, I cant agree more. Thats why the UFC IS taken seriously. It is not a circus show what so ever. It is presented VERY SERIOUS. I swear if FELD owned the UFC, it would be turned into a circus show of fighting and blood! and gruel! When really, its not like that at all.

It has to be presented more serious.
burnside
11/21/2011 9:22am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2011 9:32am
I wonder what it would take to really push it to the next level?

I guess, the reality is good racing and better entertainment will help it grow. And it seems like the 450 class, after years of 2-3 horse races with Chad and Stewart (or RC) 30 secs ahead of a mentally defeated third place guy . . we are finally getting some real depth, more WINNERS in the class rather than more Andrew Short'esq guys making up the podium.

Sucks to say, but quite often SX races are a procession without much passing and the 'show' is an anticlimax. I've been to one SX race, (A3 in 2010).. was the year Dungey had no competition and there wasn't one pass in the top 3 the whole main event. It was fine for me cause I'm an mx nerd, but my girlfriend and non-MX mates were zoned out after 5 laps. So I think the new depth will help, and awesome racing and strong rivalries in general can only be good.

Also, I think the more the riders personalities are pushed and absorbed by the fans the better. Sports are only good to watch if you care who wins. So how do you get Joe Bloggs in deep enough to start really rooting for a rider? Esp if the only time they hear them speak is on the podium when they are talking like a religious, monotone, R2D2.

Maybe Bubba's World wasn't such a bad idea after all and maybe Hanson needs to start banging Paris Hilton from Jan-May or something?! ha.
burnside
11/21/2011 9:27am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2011 9:28am
oops
DPW
11/21/2011 10:05am
isn't the sport getting smaller? comparing the the '80 to now...

Post a reply to: Will SX/MX become as mainstream as Nascar?

The Latest