Will SX/MX become as mainstream as Nascar?

StatutoryApe
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:42pm
Why or why not ?
|
Rupert X
11/20/2011 6:35pm
Simple answer - People drive cars to visit their friends that are in the hospital from wrecking their motorcycles.

So, no.
Grendel
11/20/2011 6:37pm
I believe it will eventually get a little more mainstream steam, most likely because of a single personality, but probably not in the realm of Nascar.

The Shop

powDIRT
11/20/2011 6:38pm
Why or why not ?
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents are going to stop pushing their kids to ride motorcycles.

Also factor in cost, and the lack of places to freeride in many places. I think the sport does not have a bright future.

I know I'm going to get blasted. Sorry for the negativity. Just being real.

I want it to get huge more than anything, but I just don't see it.
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
11/20/2011 6:42pm
Why or why not ?
powDIRT wrote:
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents...
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents are going to stop pushing their kids to ride motorcycles.

Also factor in cost, and the lack of places to freeride in many places. I think the sport does not have a bright future.

Dirt track racing isn't exactly booming because of NASCAR, so I think trying to compare the popularity of dirtbike riding doesn't really play a role in the popularity of Pro SX/MX.
Highsider
11/20/2011 6:43pm
powDIRT wrote:
Never. We live in a nanny state now. MX will always be inherently life-threatening. NASCAR has gotten to the point where it is extremely safe. Parents...

Sums it up.
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
11/20/2011 6:49pm
powDIRT wrote:

Highsider wrote:
Sums it up.
Does everybody that likes Football play it on the weekends? If having a popular local scene had anything to with the popularity of a pro league or series, I think Softball would be the biggest pro sport
tobz
11/20/2011 6:57pm
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the way Ralph starts off the show comes close to how a circus is introduced. It doesn't sound serious, it needs to give a sense that it's big business and this shit matters. Not just an hour long infomercial on monster energy.

Look at motogp or the like. The commentators commentate on the moves happening on screen, not dribbling shit about that has nothing to do on screen. And they don't give off a cheesy feel to the sport. Leigh duffy or diffy? Done a great job at the nationals a couple of years ago. These guys now are all about 1 liners and repetitive phrases.

Smarten the show up and people will take notice.

IMO, anyway,
Drew580
11/20/2011 7:09pm
tobz wrote:
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the...
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the way Ralph starts off the show comes close to how a circus is introduced. It doesn't sound serious, it needs to give a sense that it's big business and this shit matters. Not just an hour long infomercial on monster energy.

Look at motogp or the like. The commentators commentate on the moves happening on screen, not dribbling shit about that has nothing to do on screen. And they don't give off a cheesy feel to the sport. Leigh duffy or diffy? Done a great job at the nationals a couple of years ago. These guys now are all about 1 liners and repetitive phrases.

IMO, anyway,
I agree. Supercross is becoming way too much like monster trucks. It is more of a show than a racing event.
StatutoryApe
11/20/2011 7:15pm
tobz wrote:
No, and the problem is with how it's presented on tv. They present it like a "arena spectacular where they fly high and crash alot" the...

IMO, anyway,
Drew580 wrote:
I agree. Supercross is becoming way too much like monster trucks. It is more of a show than a racing event.
This is the MONSTER ENERGY SUPERCROSS !!!!! DEATH DEFYING JUMPS OF GRAVITY cue explosions and fireballs
11/20/2011 7:27pm
I've been saying it for a while, our sport is on the way out. Between the cost of bikes/insurance, tracks closing, government regulations, and a sanctioning body that refuses to adapt; this sport really doesn't have a chance. It's fringe to begin with, with all the obstacles I don't see it ever becoming main-stream.
steve_97060
11/20/2011 8:01pm
why do people care if it gets bigger or more mainstream, what exactly would the benefit be?
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
11/20/2011 8:06pm
why do people care if it gets bigger or more mainstream, what exactly would the benefit be?
The benefit would be these world class athlete's that put their life on the line week in and week out, would start to get the pay and recognition they deserve.
StatutoryApe
11/20/2011 8:07pm
You serious ?
11/20/2011 8:09pm
This! It's better like this (unmainstream). Personally I like the fact that I'm one of the few in my town that ride adds to the cool factor and it makes for some funny stories from others... Grinning
Brosho
11/20/2011 8:13pm
Why or why not ?
No it will not, especially when the top participants in Hobby/Sports like racing remote control cars, or racing pigeons (lol) are making more money per race than most of the top motocrossers make in a race.

Plus MX/SX is constantly being compared to Monster Trucks, which takes the Athletism out of what MX/SX riders do. Its advertised more as a stunt show also.
bigborefan
11/20/2011 8:13pm
More money for the people in the industry, that's about the only thing I can see. Pure good ol American greed.
chrisbuehler
11/20/2011 8:17pm
This! It's better like this (unmainstream). Personally I like the fact that I'm one of the few in my town that ride adds to the cool...
This! It's better like this (unmainstream). Personally I like the fact that I'm one of the few in my town that ride adds to the cool factor and it makes for some funny stories from others... Grinning
This.
steve_97060
11/20/2011 8:19pm
The benefit would be these world class athlete's that put their life on the line week in and week out, would start to get the pay...
The benefit would be these world class athlete's that put their life on the line week in and week out, would start to get the pay and recognition they deserve.
and what is that?
steve_97060
11/20/2011 8:20pm
bigborefan wrote:
More money for the people in the industry, that's about the only thing I can see. Pure good ol American greed.
exactly, but for me the fan, or me the weekend warrior, there is no benefit for it to get bigger..

whatever bigger means...
Brosho
11/20/2011 8:23pm
Every MX/SX racer who makes the top 40 should be making 6 figure incomes from the sport in relation to the risk they make/take to entertain the fans who watch it. Those same top guys are still paying to race to get the chance to entertain people who pay to see them race.
bigborefan
11/20/2011 8:29pm
Brosho wrote:
Every MX/SX racer who makes the top 40 should be making 6 figure incomes from the sport in relation to the risk they make/take to entertain...
Every MX/SX racer who makes the top 40 should be making 6 figure incomes from the sport in relation to the risk they make/take to entertain the fans who watch it. Those same top guys are still paying to race to get the chance to entertain people who pay to see them race.
I agree, but I think a lot of us got into MX back in the day because it was a little underground, not a typical stick and ball team sport. Not to be an elitist but being part of something small had a certain appeal to it.
Brosho
11/20/2011 8:37pm
Brosho wrote:
Every MX/SX racer who makes the top 40 should be making 6 figure incomes from the sport in relation to the risk they make/take to entertain...
bigborefan wrote:
I agree, but I think a lot of us got into MX back in the day because it was a little underground, not a typical stick...
I agree, but I think a lot of us got into MX back in the day because it was a little underground, not a typical stick and ball team sport. Not to be an elitist but being part of something small had a certain appeal to it.
Thats all great, and I agree, until there are several Greedy fuckers at the top are making a ton of money and not taking care of the the guys who make the show.
tobz
11/20/2011 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 8:39pm
exactly, but for me the fan, or me the weekend warrior, there is no benefit for it to get bigger..

whatever bigger means...
It's another one of those things where the general public don't understand the sport. I had a friend who wanted to race the womens nationals interstate, but he work wouldn't let her go on leave because it wasn't deemed to be that important, where as other colleagues got off work to go to hockey finals, etc.

Not that that is a major problem that everyone faces, just an example of what the the general public thinks when they hear "motocross racing". It's a novelty, like someone pointed out previously that that it's more aligned with monster trucks.

I get people asking if i play australian rules or other sports because my dad and brother were fairly good at football, the look on their face before changing the subject rather quickly when i say "no, i'm more motocross" is a classic example.

I'd love it to be more popular, i've never seen a local sporting club suffer and struggle as much as a local motocross club. Never enough helping hands and the council is always on their case. How often to you hear of a local sporting complex being shutdown to make way for housing?
Hando
11/20/2011 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 8:39pm
Not until there is a motocross track in every town in America...

Not everywhere in the US is like SoCal with 15 different tracks within a 2 hour radius. Most of us are lucky to live within an hour of a track or riding area..

If every town/city had a motocross track things would be alot different becauae it would make it more accessible. As cheap as MX is compared to other motorsports, its still expensive.
ME686
11/20/2011 8:48pm
Never. Most people dont even like motocycles and associate them with negative conotations thanks to a bunch of wannabe goons and assholes that make the majority look bad. Example: Met the gf's parents for the first time, she lets it slip that i race, and bam im the suicidal type according to the rents. Based only on me riding mx, annd this was coming from a dude that is pretty heavy into the goldwing scene lmfao !
TerryK
11/20/2011 8:48pm
Hell no and I like it that way!

Post a reply to: Will SX/MX become as mainstream as Nascar?

The Latest