Will Roczen be the same again

machine
After reading this, it made me wonder, with the possibility of losing his arm, how will that play out mentally for him once he's back.

|
kiwifan
2/8/2017 6:56pm
Yes, he will be the same again (thinking positively and no evidence at this point to say he wont be), plus ....he has great doctors, he is motivated to get back out there and hes still young.
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
2/8/2017 7:02pm
No one knows anything yet. He is suppose to heal up just fine but since this topic is brought up all the time everyone needs to just kick back and wait until this guy makes a full recovery before jumping to any conslusions.
Johnny Depp
2/8/2017 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2017 7:07pm
He may choose to exercise his insurance policy (if he has one) against career ending injury?

Forget the mental, just consider the physical damage. Imagine if he was a surgeon, or a dentist, or a left handed pitcher or bowler. The odds are quite long to regain your career.

This is not just a broken bone, these are the load bearing joints that are most important for his career.

I pray for him and wish him well, and as selfishly I would love to see him go at it again and get a SX championship,
if he asked me personally I would tell him to walk away while he still can.

I don't think I'll get a call.
TallonT911
2/8/2017 7:16pm
I did my tib/fib and dislocated ankle at the end of 14, it took about a year for that joint to feel stable jogging or hiking where the surface is uneven. Luckily for me, you can slide your foot in a good pair of boots and ride and it's fine, but I see the wrist taking some time to feel solid enough to ride.

Ken has the best doctors putting him together and will take his rehab a lot more seriously than I did, I'm hoping he'll be fine but I don't think even he will know until the time comes.

The Shop

machine
2/8/2017 7:36pm
I was talking about the mental side of things, will he push the edge like he used to, or will the possibity of him losing his arm make him think twice about pushing too hard and taking the same amount of risk.
Sully
2/8/2017 7:45pm
I think it's impossible to say at this point. Could he be gun shy when he comes back? Yes. Could he take this injury the same way Pastrana took dislocating his pelvis and come back better than ever? Also yes.

The only thing that is 100% certain is that he won't be back this year, and both series are a bit lesser for it.
PFitzG38
2/8/2017 9:54pm
Motocross is a progressive disease, he'll be fine after he crashes once or twice after he comes back - then better than ever.
THEOUTSIDER
2/8/2017 10:06pm

No, he will not be the same.

We all learn and grow from adversity. Will he be as fast? Depends. Number one on his arm. He could regain full use. He could also now have life long issues with it. Just ask Ricky Johnson.. Only time will tell on this part.

Mentally is the second part. He will be smarter from this experience. Will that cause him to be more reserved on the track? Who knows. Even Roczen doesn't know yet.

I say you hope for the best, aim high, and see how it all comes out. I wish him the best.
He balls harder and crashes harder too.
2/9/2017 5:28am
IMO He'll be fine, a lot of people worried about Tomac's chances of making a full recovery also. It may take more time than he'd like but age is on his side, still a very young man.. and determined
2/9/2017 5:33am
He'll be fine. He didn't crash by going balls out like Tomac or Reed. Very similar to the way RV ended up, and look how that went..
Mouse153
2/9/2017 6:42am
Mentally I think he'll be fine and able to complete recover. Physically it appears he has the best doctor but 8 surgeries? Wow, I'm praying and hoping for the guy.
kkawboy14
2/9/2017 6:57am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2017 7:02am
I can't wait to here that they are 100% sure they can save his arm. He seems to imply that in his post but I don't think they know yet. Once that's decided he's not gonna know for a year if he can race at his desired speed. This is gonna be a long process. I don't know of any other pro rider that has gone thru this severe an injury and come back to race.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/9/2017 7:21am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I can't wait to here that they are 100% sure they can save his arm. He seems to imply that in his post but I don't...
I can't wait to here that they are 100% sure they can save his arm. He seems to imply that in his post but I don't think they know yet. Once that's decided he's not gonna know for a year if he can race at his desired speed. This is gonna be a long process. I don't know of any other pro rider that has gone thru this severe an injury and come back to race.
Pourcel comes to mind.
IWreckALot
2/9/2017 7:29am
IMO He'll be fine, a lot of people worried about Tomac's chances of making a full recovery also. It may take more time than he'd like...
IMO He'll be fine, a lot of people worried about Tomac's chances of making a full recovery also. It may take more time than he'd like but age is on his side, still a very young man.. and determined
That's a valid argument. I also think there were similar concerns after RV blew his knee out for the 14th time.
kkawboy14
2/9/2017 8:20am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I can't wait to here that they are 100% sure they can save his arm. He seems to imply that in his post but I don't...
kzizok wrote:
Pourcel comes to mind.
Would you say he came back at the same speed and mind?
Motofinne
2/9/2017 8:24am
No one knows. It's almost impossible to speculate if he will be at his normal level in 2018.

But i'm not positive, he has had 7(?) surgeries on the arm. That is brutal.

I hope he can come back as the real Ken Roczen but i'm a bit skeptical.
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
2/9/2017 8:39am
This is Kenny Roczen we're talking about!

Dude will just direct some white blood cells to that injured arm and be riding in no time.

tprice07
2/9/2017 8:42am
IMO He'll be fine, a lot of people worried about Tomac's chances of making a full recovery also. It may take more time than he'd like...
IWreckALot wrote:
That's a valid argument. I also think there were similar concerns after RV blew his knee out for the 14th time.
Both of these came to mind!

The dislocations are nasty and chance of infection...but he has a good team around him. He'll be good.
ferg722
2/9/2017 9:53am
It's interesting how we learn to do physical therapy and rebuild our muscles but never how to rebuild our minds after a traumatic injury.
Wouldn't be surprised if he underwent some type of therapy like EMDR - commonly used for post traumatic / anxiety disorders. He's a motocross champion but human by nature, he's not immortal to physical and mental trauma.
Some people register and store traumatic events differently. He could hit the ground running or he may need some time to mentally work on himself.
Either way, I'm sure he'll be giving it 100% and doing whatever it takes to be on top.
mx836
2/9/2017 9:58am
kiwifan wrote:
Yes, he will be the same again (thinking positively and no evidence at this point to say he wont be), plus ....he has great doctors, he...
Yes, he will be the same again (thinking positively and no evidence at this point to say he wont be), plus ....he has great doctors, he is motivated to get back out there and hes still young.
He may be able to ride a bike just as fast, but that arm will never be the same.
machine
2/9/2017 4:45pm
Looks like a 50/50 on opinions....as usual, the damn internet tells you nothing...Grinning

Best of luck to him...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/9/2017 4:59pm
Coyote
2/9/2017 5:16pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Motocross is a progressive disease, he'll be fine after he crashes once or twice after he comes back - then better than ever.
in my humble opinion, don't think he'll be the same....he'll be better!!
machine
2/9/2017 5:38pm
GuyB wrote:
[img]http://knotsosubtle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/magic8ball.png[/img]
This could be used for everything we research on the internet haha
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/9/2017 5:42pm
machine wrote:
Yeah. But having watched how far too many injuries play out, and having experienced more than a few myself, I think they question of how Kenny will perform post-injury is way too early to answer.

It won't be for lack of desire to get back out there. Or youth. Or enthusiasm. It won't because he hasn't had the best doctors available. Sometimes we're just at the mercy of how long stuff takes to determine how good it'll be when it's all said and done.
machine
2/9/2017 5:50pm
machine wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Yeah. But having watched how far too many injuries play out, and having experienced more than a few myself, I think they question of how Kenny...
Yeah. But having watched how far too many injuries play out, and having experienced more than a few myself, I think they question of how Kenny will perform post-injury is way too early to answer.

It won't be for lack of desire to get back out there. Or youth. Or enthusiasm. It won't because he hasn't had the best doctors available. Sometimes we're just at the mercy of how long stuff takes to determine how good it'll be when it's all said and done.
Maybe you missed it but I was focused on the mental aspect, that's the true wild card in the whole thing. Physically, most likely he will be ok, mentally pushing like he was doing, hmmmm...gotta wonder.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/9/2017 5:54pm
machine wrote:
Maybe you missed it but I was focused on the mental aspect, that's the true wild card in the whole thing. Physically, most likely he will...
Maybe you missed it but I was focused on the mental aspect, that's the true wild card in the whole thing. Physically, most likely he will be ok, mentally pushing like he was doing, hmmmm...gotta wonder.
Yeah, I didn't read all the way through. But the physical side has to be there first. The mental won't be able to overcome it alone if the physical side's not there.
visser62
2/9/2017 5:56pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Pourcel comes to mind.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Hard to say. He came back and won two regional SX championships, and should have won two national championships.

But, he definitely was different.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/9/2017 8:51pm
kzizok wrote:
Pourcel comes to mind.
kkawboy14 wrote:
visser62 wrote:
Hard to say. He came back and won two regional SX championships, and should have won two national championships.

But, he definitely was different.
Yeah, I didnt really think of it that way, kkawboy14. Kinda hard to say but probably not quite, but shockingly close, considering.

Post a reply to: Will Roczen be the same again

The Latest