Wife and kids in this sport

level
6/26/2015 9:51am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 12:57pm
Do you think it helps or hurts a racer to have a family? I guess it could go either way.

The sport is enough pressure as it is but then to constantly have to think about being there for your wife and kids and providing for them, not getting hurt, the possible nagging from your wife about you getting hurt and they want you out. You would think as a racer that you may want to hold off on getting involved until your career is over but I know that is not realistic.

It would just seem like it would be a lot to juggle for a racer and the constant traveling and the constant threat of injury. I mean to each there own and everyones situation is different but in general I wonder if the teams would rather have a rider that doesn't have a family and if it hurts there ability to race at the top level.
|
6/26/2015 9:54am
Same could be said about construction workers, tower dogs, or any extreme sports athlete. The more support the better.
6/26/2015 9:58am
Depends on the wife and kids.

Reed and Musquin's ol ladies seem to be integral.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
6/26/2015 10:18am
Same could be said about construction workers, tower dogs, or any extreme sports athlete. The more support the better.
Or any other career. A good wife and family is supportive and that support is crucial in any endeavor you take on over a period of time.

The Shop

6/26/2015 10:22am
731chopper wrote:
Or any other career. A good wife and family is supportive and that support is crucial in any endeavor you take on over a period of...
Or any other career. A good wife and family is supportive and that support is crucial in any endeavor you take on over a period of time.
I was referencing the "getting injured" part of the OP's post. But yes, family support is like you said, crucial in any endeavor.
Sandberm
6/26/2015 10:29am
Having my chick with me at the races made me soft. I was a much better racer when I was single as I was more aggressive. I was like a single male lion roaming the serengheti looking for a pride to take over
IWreckALot
6/26/2015 10:32am
Sandberm wrote:
Having my chick with me at the races made me soft. I was a much better racer when I was single as I was more aggressive...
Having my chick with me at the races made me soft. I was a much better racer when I was single as I was more aggressive. I was like a single male lion roaming the serengheti looking for a pride to take over
Hopefully you were slaying a lot of lion tail while you were a lion.
Sandberm
6/26/2015 10:41am
Come on, we all know it. Single males are more aggressive.

When I was single i would rape and pillage the track, eager to pass dudes in a most unpleasant way. Id roost flaggers, smile at my competitors girlfriends, destroy berms and case triples just to show how tough I was.

When I had a chick it was like i was all of a sudden British..."Carryon, oh no, you go first good gentlemen I shall try the pass on the next lap my friend".

I was thinking more about the post race sex rather then stuffing my main competition over a berm.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
6/26/2015 10:47am
You're either driven to succeed, or you're not.
peelout
6/26/2015 10:47am
Sandberm wrote:
Come on, we all know it. Single males are more aggressive. When I was single i would rape and pillage the track, eager to pass dudes...
Come on, we all know it. Single males are more aggressive.

When I was single i would rape and pillage the track, eager to pass dudes in a most unpleasant way. Id roost flaggers, smile at my competitors girlfriends, destroy berms and case triples just to show how tough I was.

When I had a chick it was like i was all of a sudden British..."Carryon, oh no, you go first good gentlemen I shall try the pass on the next lap my friend".

I was thinking more about the post race sex rather then stuffing my main competition over a berm.
my old man wouldn't let me bring my girlfriend at the time to the track or to watch me race, he refused. he said if she comes then he's not.

i rode like a total pussy whenever i had a girl at the track.

imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
6/26/2015 10:56am
peelout wrote:
my old man wouldn't let me bring my girlfriend at the time to the track or to watch me race, he refused. he said if she...
my old man wouldn't let me bring my girlfriend at the time to the track or to watch me race, he refused. he said if she comes then he's not.

i rode like a total pussy whenever i had a girl at the track.

I once thru it away at a LL area throwing a whip at the table where my new girlfriend was standing. By the time i got back to the trailer my dad was throwing shit inside and told me to get off his motorcycle!
olympiamann
6/26/2015 11:12am
BWAAAAHAAHAHAHA !!! Now that's funny....Dads are great
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/26/2015 11:13am
I know when I quit racing at the amateur level is when I had my first 2 children. They would creep up into my mind while I was out on the track n I knew it was time to stop.

I would think a nice supportive wife would be a asset to the these top riders. But for me once the kids arrived I realized how much my family depended on me coming home in one piece.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
6/26/2015 11:20am

^^^ And the rider.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
6/26/2015 11:30am

Quite right. I was flagging at High Point, and Musquin's wife was on the hill near the top of the triple step up with the Fly banner. Every lap the 25 came through, both motos, she'd run down the hill to the base of the take off, go nuts encouraging him, then run back up the hill to wait for the next lap. It was touching to see.
level
6/26/2015 12:09pm
It would be very tough to be a wife and constantly worry about your husband getting seriously hurt and then the rider thinking the same and not being there for the kids so I completely understand. It's very tough but a handful of riders can do it.
JBlain619
6/26/2015 12:57pm
For me personally I think it helps me relax and ride better when my fiance is there. BUT...since she used to race and was pretty good, she knows the sport so there's no bullshitting her about what happened during a bad moto. I have learned to have her pick my gate for me because I've gotten the holeshot everytime she chooses my gate! hahahahaha

Post a reply to: Wife and kids in this sport

The Latest