Why there will never be another MX vs ATV Reflex. Time to move forward...

flatout111
Not sure if those who are into MX gaming on here caught this but it's a good read. I've known about this for a few years now but nice for someone at Rainbow to officially just say it and put it to rest. The whole "bring Reflex back" is so old. Yeah, it was probably the best code the team ever had...although I think Alive (if air drag was fixed) on the properly scaled JS7 tracks was the best of the series, to me, though the rest of the game wasn't any good due to poor tracks or lack of SX. I know most think Reflex was the greatest thing ever. It did have something good but the code is pretty much gone and here's why.

For the record, I think Supercross Encore having licensed replica tracks is the best thing the company has ever done. Yeah, the game is too fast and too arcade but getting real tracks in is a huge step in the right direction. So we'll see if they can keep that going and get the game in a more authentic and a more realistic, let's call it simcade. direction, but leaning more towards a bit more realistic gameplay.

But the point is it is time to move on from 2009 and Reflex (unless you enjoy it on PC which is still completely valid with user made tracks.) I, personally, am ready for 2018 and what is coming next for Supercross games. I think we finally may get that licensed Supercross game we've been craving forever, from Milestone, makers of the MXGP series, actually.

Glad to have both Milestone and Rainbow in the mix for MX/SX gaming. It wasn't long ago we had nothing on console so glad to see these companies stepping up for our sport and really amped up for the rumored 2018 Official Supercross video game that may come from Milestone as well as whatever/whenever Rainbow makes a full new game. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy MXGP 2 as well as the 2017 Official Track Edition of Supercross Encore.

Here's the link with the Reflex code info. The team also confirmed on their FB page that the Reflex code is gone.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/02/05/on-site-rainbow-studios

*Please...this is about Rainbow or Milestone MX games. Let's keep it on topic. We know all about that other PC game. Cool game for sure but hoping this thread doesn't get hijacked like every other MX game thread does. Smile
|
wfo4ever
2/10/2017 3:48am
I am an old fart, never been into video games. But just bought my daughter's old PS2 from her as she got a new PS4 or Xbox, not sure. I have been buying motorcycle racing games on Amazon for $5.00 to $15.00. MX vs ATV Unleashed and MotoGP 2 are my favorites so far. I am going to order MotoGP 4 today on Amazon. Any other motorcycle or car racing games for PS2 you would recommend? My thumbs are hurting from playing those old games, but I am having lots of fun. Thanks
HenryA
2/10/2017 4:20am
So what they said is that another company made the code for Reflex and they are unable to replicate that?
Oh well, it might be gone but it also sounds like they don't have the budget to start over again with a new game and that they are stuck with the Alive/Supercross code.

Btw, when Nordic bought the whole thing there was a crew that made changes to the network code on Reflex for PC. How were they able to do that if the code is gone?
Turbojez
2/10/2017 4:42am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 6:07am
wfo4ever wrote:
I am an old fart, never been into video games. But just bought my daughter's old PS2 from her as she got a new PS4 or...
I am an old fart, never been into video games. But just bought my daughter's old PS2 from her as she got a new PS4 or Xbox, not sure. I have been buying motorcycle racing games on Amazon for $5.00 to $15.00. MX vs ATV Unleashed and MotoGP 2 are my favorites so far. I am going to order MotoGP 4 today on Amazon. Any other motorcycle or car racing games for PS2 you would recommend? My thumbs are hurting from playing those old games, but I am having lots of fun. Thanks
I've got a friend who never really played video games. Yet, when he came to my place to have a beer I gave him the pad to do a couple of laps in mx vs atv reflex. 4 hours later I had to kick him out the door, otherwise he would have kept on playing until the sunrise, which kind of collided with my alarm clock going off at 6:30 am to wake me up for work Smile

Wfo4ever, MTX mototrax should be good, there's also mx vs atv untamed for ps2 but I haven't tried this one.
DoctorJD
2/10/2017 5:18am
The, "Bring Reflex Back" sect is almost as bad as the "MX Sim is the greatest of all time" sect.

The Shop

mx836
2/10/2017 5:30am
DoctorJD wrote:
The, "Bring Reflex Back" sect is almost as bad as the "MX Sim is the greatest of all time" sect.
I bet you aee of the 2 srroke sect. Worst of all. Wink
2/10/2017 5:35am
HenryA wrote:
So what they said is that another company made the code for Reflex and they are unable to replicate that? Oh well, it might be gone...
So what they said is that another company made the code for Reflex and they are unable to replicate that?
Oh well, it might be gone but it also sounds like they don't have the budget to start over again with a new game and that they are stuck with the Alive/Supercross code.

Btw, when Nordic bought the whole thing there was a crew that made changes to the network code on Reflex for PC. How were they able to do that if the code is gone?
In my opinion the physics in Alive were very good. It's too bad they went backwards with Supercross (Encore)
greenmx5
2/10/2017 5:36am
wfo4ever wrote:
I am an old fart, never been into video games. But just bought my daughter's old PS2 from her as she got a new PS4 or...
You can't go wrong with MX vs ATV Unleashed. I've found myself more addicted to MX Unleashed and MX vs ATV unleashed more than the current games. I still play them every now and then. In high school I'd pull all nighters playing those games, even on school nights Laughing
wfo4ever
2/10/2017 5:38am
I always pick a 2-Stroke motorcycle on MX vs ATV Unleashed. It is in my blood, I bleed pre-mix, lol. Thanks Turbojez for the advice, I will look for it.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
2/10/2017 6:46am
HenryA wrote:
So what they said is that another company made the code for Reflex and they are unable to replicate that? Oh well, it might be gone...

In my opinion the physics in Alive were very good. It's too bad they went backwards with Supercross (Encore)
I also liked alive....alot...wished they could of kinda just took over that and went from there...instead of starting from scratch for mxvsatv supercross.
mmcmx
2/10/2017 7:07am
95% of my time playng video games has been on MCM2 and Reflex.

I'll probablly buy this new one even if its not that good, hoping it will help make something better in the future. Also because they are a small company of "artisans" and moto fans, I wouldn't bother otherwise.
tprice07
2/10/2017 7:09am
flatout111 wrote:
Not sure if those who are into MX gaming on here caught this but it's a good read. I've known about this for a few years...
Not sure if those who are into MX gaming on here caught this but it's a good read. I've known about this for a few years now but nice for someone at Rainbow to officially just say it and put it to rest. The whole "bring Reflex back" is so old. Yeah, it was probably the best code the team ever had...although I think Alive (if air drag was fixed) on the properly scaled JS7 tracks was the best of the series, to me, though the rest of the game wasn't any good due to poor tracks or lack of SX. I know most think Reflex was the greatest thing ever. It did have something good but the code is pretty much gone and here's why.

For the record, I think Supercross Encore having licensed replica tracks is the best thing the company has ever done. Yeah, the game is too fast and too arcade but getting real tracks in is a huge step in the right direction. So we'll see if they can keep that going and get the game in a more authentic and a more realistic, let's call it simcade. direction, but leaning more towards a bit more realistic gameplay.

But the point is it is time to move on from 2009 and Reflex (unless you enjoy it on PC which is still completely valid with user made tracks.) I, personally, am ready for 2018 and what is coming next for Supercross games. I think we finally may get that licensed Supercross game we've been craving forever, from Milestone, makers of the MXGP series, actually.

Glad to have both Milestone and Rainbow in the mix for MX/SX gaming. It wasn't long ago we had nothing on console so glad to see these companies stepping up for our sport and really amped up for the rumored 2018 Official Supercross video game that may come from Milestone as well as whatever/whenever Rainbow makes a full new game. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy MXGP 2 as well as the 2017 Official Track Edition of Supercross Encore.

Here's the link with the Reflex code info. The team also confirmed on their FB page that the Reflex code is gone.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/02/05/on-site-rainbow-studios

*Please...this is about Rainbow or Milestone MX games. Let's keep it on topic. We know all about that other PC game. Cool game for sure but hoping this thread doesn't get hijacked like every other MX game thread does. Smile
I had heard this for a while and wasn't sure if it was true, so I'm glad they came out and said it.

That said, the newest version of MX vs ATV, Supercross Encore, is pretty close on PC. I run a PS4 controller and cranked up the sensitivity and was pleased with it. It needs some work but it is going in the right direction. Scrubs are possible. Reflex I was able to fake it a bit.

I think the next round of the game will be solid. They'll finally have the ability to get back to where they were. If all else fails, hire the same company that did the physics before.
flymoto
2/10/2017 7:13am
Reflex was a great game for sure. But I like what the milestone guys are doing. If you compare reflex vs mxgp you have a far superior game with mxgp, it's only the air physics that lets it down, which I think is why reflex is so loved as they had it down to a tee
MR. X
2/10/2017 7:17am
MXGP blows though ,I hope it doesn't go that direction,at least not completely.
flatout111
2/10/2017 7:19am
Yeah, I think Milestone currently easily has the MX crown. I, too, think Alive was better than Supercross Encore. I think Rainbow should go back to Alive code, fix air drag and use replica tracks. Bingo.
potatoflake
2/10/2017 7:19am
you know I really don't want to sound like that guy that wants a perfect mx game but encore is pretty bad in my opinion

I personally like what milestones doing, they have their weak points in the air and ridiculous reasons for crashes but I feel like their going in the right direction at least!

The official tracks for sx are pretty cool but that physics engine just doesn't feel smooth

For me and what I want I'll probably stick to mxgp3 that's coming out "spring" (it'll be summer just watch) and reflex since it's on Xbox one backwards compatibility now. I can't complain if I have reflex still so I guess I'm not quite ready to move on
flatout111
2/10/2017 7:22am
I never like Unleashed or worse yet MX vs ATV unleashed. Track scale was absolutely ridiculous and balloon physics a joke. I'd take MX 2002 or Superfly or MTX any day over those early Rainbow games. Or better yet, EA Supercross 2000.
potatoflake
2/10/2017 7:26am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 7:26am
flatout111 wrote:
I never like Unleashed or worse yet MX vs ATV unleashed. Track scale was absolutely ridiculous and balloon physics a joke. I'd take MX 2002 or...
I never like Unleashed or worse yet MX vs ATV unleashed. Track scale was absolutely ridiculous and balloon physics a joke. I'd take MX 2002 or Superfly or MTX any day over those early Rainbow games. Or better yet, EA Supercross 2000.
MTX WAS AWESOME
The track editor was so cool and the career actually felt like a career with sponsors

I'd love to see a mx game now with such an interactive career

Or an open world mx game ( off topic but had to mention)
jonesaustin
2/10/2017 7:31am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 7:33am
I realize there are varying opinions on these games, but I'm kinda confused about some things I read here. I agree Reflex had the best physics, aside from the sliding rear tire and easy wrecking. Also the sound was horrible, but everything else was unbelievable.

Then came Alive, which, when I read positibe reviews I'm confused. Sounds were better, but it was a step back imo.

Then the real confusion - MX vs ATV Supercross. I recall buying this game, excited that it had been remade by a new team. It retained the Alive physics (software code) to large degree, and at first it sucked, but then, because of advice on VitalMX (getting the right chassis being the main one) the bike I have, with is a Nordic 450 with the right components, is the most realistic, incredible mx game experience I've ever seen. Yet, people say it's not good - I have to wonder if they never upgraded the chassis and other suggestions I got from Vital. This game bike is fast and feels extremely agile (as far as game physics).

All in all, it beats REFLEX by a mile. I almost want to copy my settings and throw them in here, because anyone who uses them will have about as realistic an MX game experience as it's going to get, short of VR.
sdjeff
2/10/2017 7:44am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 7:47am
Reflex is the shit. I was a huge MCM2'er as well back in the day. I'm still making tracks for Reflex(username punkerjeffy) which besides the great physics is the reason Reflex is still such a popular mx game. It was the same with MCM2 where the community stayed strong for so long because of the custom tracks. I tried the new mxgp games and while it's good they still have some work to do on the physics.
JBecker 72
2/10/2017 8:04am
I just want them to add the YZ250 2 stroke to Encore. Why it's not in there? I don't know.
VilloFan951
2/10/2017 8:19am
flatout111 wrote:
I never like Unleashed or worse yet MX vs ATV unleashed. Track scale was absolutely ridiculous and balloon physics a joke. I'd take MX 2002 or...
MTX WAS AWESOME The track editor was so cool and the career actually felt like a career with sponsors I'd love to see a mx game...
MTX WAS AWESOME
The track editor was so cool and the career actually felt like a career with sponsors

I'd love to see a mx game now with such an interactive career

Or an open world mx game ( off topic but had to mention)
There is a new game being made with some similarities as MTX which I agree that game was hands down awesome! Here's the description of the new game.
Motocross | Last Chance Qualifier

December 27, 2016 Damien DesmondNews and Updates

Hello everyone, my name is Damien Desmond and I am one of the 3d artist here at LCQ Studios. Today I would like to present to you the name we have chosen for the motocross game we are currently developing. After many months of us talking back and forth, we have decided from now on we will be calling the game the following:

Motocross | Last Chance Qualifier

The reason why we wanted this name was pretty simple; It fits! Our game will feature a non-linear single player mode where we want each time you play to more unique with story changes Smile … Below is the basic layout for our single player and how we want things to run…

Single Player Concept

There are three different paths you can take.These are dependent on how well you do as a 50cc rider, and how far you take yourself. It is all decision based and will affect how your future plays out.

Prodigy
Should you do well as a 50cc rider (winning a title at Loretta’s) you will have factory teams offering to groom you for the future. This will be the “Prodigy” route. You will be expected to win multiple amateur titles, which will not be easy. The expectations are high, however, the rewards are very worthwhile. Pretty much everything is paid for by your sponsors.

Satellite
Say you don’t have such a great 50cc career, you’re a slow learner, as some kids are, but you start to show some real potential in the 85/supermini class, maybe placing well at Lorettas, but not winning a title. This will be the “sleeper” route. Factory support will be non-existent, however a company or other source will help build you bikes that will be on par to compete with the factory boys. This will not be free, but will be discounted. Individual sponsors will come along that will help you with gear/travel, etc. You will have your 125/250 amateur career to impress the factories; let’s hope you do.

Privateer
You have failed to impress the factories, or any big sponsors in general. All is not lost, though! Your 85cc career was a bust, qualifying but not placing well at Loretta’a, or not qualifying for Loretta’s at all. You will have a chip on your shoulder, though. You know you deserved to be there but things didn’t go your way (crashed out, taken out, etc). Your only support is you and/or your family, and a couple local sponsors. Finances will be tough, and hitting the amateur races will be expensive, so you will have to do everything in your power to impress somebody, anybody willing to help.
This route will be completely different than the other two; The rider will be given a trait that will allow him/her to push harder and longer than most riders, a will to prove everybody wrong.

We will have Neal Wells ( the person behind single player ) to go more in depth with everything when we get further along…
The single player career is set to release after alpha.

I hope everyone is pretty happy with the name and who knows we may even have the community get involved
2/10/2017 8:24am
I don't get why they can't make physics like reflex. Do they not know how to?? As a game developer like them they can't make physics like reflex?
flatout111
2/10/2017 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2017 8:40am
I'm all about all new MX games. But I do wish the LCQ game was for console. I know PC game development is cheaper but I enjoy console gaming. Weak internet connection where I live so everything being so dependent on online play just doesn't work well for me. Hope you bring it to console. And please make sure it has programmed and intelligent AI and not completely dependent on online play like most of the other PC MX games are.

Best of luck.

But anyway, back to Rainbow and Milestone's games. I know when Nordic acquired the IP from THQ it was in absolute shambles. They did good just to get what they got recovered I think. But they had the MX vs Atv Alive Tournament code. We saw some of that after the new team was assembled in the video from Motosport with Brett Cue and Coope Webb in it. That looked much better than what Supercross turned out to be. The scale was more realistic as was the game speed. Somewhere along the way Rainbow decided to scrap that and speed the game up with turbo clutch and make the track scale much larger. To me, that was the big mistake.

I think the next MVA game will tell the tale. They'll have more manpower, more funds and a full development cycle. I hope they they really step up and give us and authentic, realistic, yet fun MX/SX game. The replica tracks are such a huge step forward (to me) but pretty much every other asp[ect of Supercross Encore was a step back from Alive. Again, my opinion. Let's forget abut asking them for another Reflex. It's not happening. And I don't want Reflex again. I want something better. Smile Let's hope Rainbow really brings it next time.

With that being said, I think the Milestone Supercross game will be exactly what I am looking for. But I support all MX games.
VilloFan951
2/10/2017 8:27am
I don't get why they can't make physics like reflex. Do they not know how to?? As a game developer like them they can't make physics...
I don't get why they can't make physics like reflex. Do they not know how to?? As a game developer like them they can't make physics like reflex?
It's probably not that they might have some kind of Patton on the code like rockstar does with the gta games
flatout111
2/10/2017 8:48am
I doubt it is a patent thing. More than likely the people who partially built that code are not even together any more so who knows where it is and what condition if it even still exists. Evidently, it doesn't. Mike, MX45, could probably explain everything but I think they just want to move on. It was a good code but they clearly stated it is gone so no need to beat a dead horse, so to speak.

kxf250f176
Fantasy
1232nd
2/10/2017 8:58am
I realize there are varying opinions on these games, but I'm kinda confused about some things I read here. I agree Reflex had the best physics...
I realize there are varying opinions on these games, but I'm kinda confused about some things I read here. I agree Reflex had the best physics, aside from the sliding rear tire and easy wrecking. Also the sound was horrible, but everything else was unbelievable.

Then came Alive, which, when I read positibe reviews I'm confused. Sounds were better, but it was a step back imo.

Then the real confusion - MX vs ATV Supercross. I recall buying this game, excited that it had been remade by a new team. It retained the Alive physics (software code) to large degree, and at first it sucked, but then, because of advice on VitalMX (getting the right chassis being the main one) the bike I have, with is a Nordic 450 with the right components, is the most realistic, incredible mx game experience I've ever seen. Yet, people say it's not good - I have to wonder if they never upgraded the chassis and other suggestions I got from Vital. This game bike is fast and feels extremely agile (as far as game physics).

All in all, it beats REFLEX by a mile. I almost want to copy my settings and throw them in here, because anyone who uses them will have about as realistic an MX game experience as it's going to get, short of VR.
I agree, encore is as close to reflex as anything out there when you unlock the better chassis. It just shows that in today's day and age, people just complain to complain.
rpawley
2/10/2017 9:21am
Will someone tell me how to actually brake for a turn without sliding around like I'm on Ice? the Ai do it too, especially in the first turn for this week's track.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
2/10/2017 9:26am
I realize there are varying opinions on these games, but I'm kinda confused about some things I read here. I agree Reflex had the best physics...

kxf250f176 wrote:
I agree, encore is as close to reflex as anything out there when you unlock the better chassis. It just shows that in today's day and...
I agree, encore is as close to reflex as anything out there when you unlock the better chassis. It just shows that in today's day and age, people just complain to complain.
I have 3 issues with encore that take away from the fun IMO.

1. The "air brake" you just watch your speed go down to half what it was when you hit a jump.

2. clutch boost is wayy too dramatic. like, you hit the gas and you crawl along, tap the clutch and its like youve been launched out of a cannon.

3. Braking into corners after straights, its way too easy to 180 the bike and fall over, annoying and crazy unrealistic.

If they fix those issues, they've got a great game, and having the real tracks is awesome
kxf250f176
Fantasy
1232nd
2/10/2017 9:37am
For turning, when I do all my braking while still going straight into the turn, getting on the gas will leaning is normally stable. All about that reflex stick.
twotwosix
2/10/2017 9:38am
Supercross Encore is the best one yet. Hands down.

Post a reply to: Why there will never be another MX vs ATV Reflex. Time to move forward...

The Latest