Why the USGP Moved from Gatorback to WW Ranch

7/19/2017 9:17am
The Charlotte USGP looks like it had more elevation changes.
7/19/2017 9:19am
It's gonna happen! And you get your triple nickel butt out here for it!
I'm in, but only if all three (3) Stewarts are in.

I'm talking Ronnie, James, and Malcolm.
7/19/2017 9:44am
Idaho747 wrote:
Sounds like someone tried to pull a fast one and it bit him in the ass.
We had a similar issue with our local track. The guy who rented the land to the local MX club was pretty sound and had a steady deal going for like 25 years. The MX club was non-profit and had a fleet of PWs to loan out to kids who couldn't afford their own bikes. When he retired, his sons took over and they hiked the price through the roof. The rent became literally unaffordable forcing the track to close. The sons had the nerve to ask the club to keep the tracks, facilities, and buildings in tact so they they could run the place and try to rake in the dough. The MX club had spent 25 years making the place what it was and some douche bag kids wanted to drive them out and take their work. The MX club had a fair well celebration and demolished the entire place.
Adam43
7/19/2017 9:46am
DC wrote:
Gang, this is not on Youthstream, or Wyn, or MX Sports or anyone directly involved in moto. This was a real estate lease problem and an...
Gang, this is not on Youthstream, or Wyn, or MX Sports or anyone directly involved in moto. This was a real estate lease problem and an unreasonable rise in terms that came as a direct result of the scheduling on this race. The terms went through the roof -- actually, the tenth floor roof. Wyn did all he could to resolve it, and Youthstream was very patient and understanding of his dilemma. We are all going to work our butts off to make this event work, and anyone who's been to WW Ranch (as Ricky and Harry and a few others mention) knows the facility and the landowner are in it for the right reasons. We were all caught off guard by the sudden change in terms; we will all do our best to make an even better race at this new location. And I am headed there tomorrow to get started.

DC
Racer X
That may be the case, but it seems like asking for trouble to commit to such an event without having the owners onside first. Especially without a lease renewal in hand.

But, I understand that you can't always wait until everything is ironclad to get a deal done.

Best of luck with the new site.

The Shop

DC
7/19/2017 10:16am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 2:26pm
Adam43 wrote: "That may be the case, but it seems like asking for trouble to commit to such an event without having the owners onside first. Especially without a lease renewal in hand."

Believe me, it came as a shock to all. Wyn had signed leases and extensions with the landowners several times, but there was a generational change and a new set of owners added to the group. They had a much different idea of the value of the property and the event and that's where everything changed in a hurry. It was unforeseen and I feel bad for Wyn, and I doubt there will ever be another gate drop at Gatorback unless they drastically bring the price back down to something even remotely reasonable.

Yes, big lesson learned. We've already moved on.

DC
Racer
sybro
7/19/2017 10:32am
PRM31 wrote:
Can we get some pics of this track?
Well.... Larry Enticer rides there so it must be a great place....lol

edgo897
7/19/2017 10:39am
I'm in if Larry is racing!
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/19/2017 10:45am
DC wrote:
Adam43 wrote: "That may be the case, but it seems like asking for trouble to commit to such an event without having the owners onside first...
Adam43 wrote: "That may be the case, but it seems like asking for trouble to commit to such an event without having the owners onside first. Especially without a lease renewal in hand."

Believe me, it came as a shock to all. Wyn had signed leases and extensions with the landowners several times, but there was a generational change and a new set of owners added to the group. They had a much different idea of the value of the property and the event and that's where everything changed in a hurry. It was unforeseen and I feel bad for Wyn, and I doubt there will ever be another gate drop at Gatorback unless they drastically bring the price back down to something even remotely reasonable.

DC
Racer
Thank you for the response Davey. I know you are always working towards the best for our sport and I believe it will be a success with you involved. It is unfortunate that Gatorback has come to this. I was a bit sad because I have a lot of history at Gatorback but I have wanted to check out WW for some time as i have always heard positive reviews of the facility and staff so we are still very excited for the event. "It aint easy havin' fun!"
500guy
7/19/2017 10:54am
Obviously the Land owners do not know the financial success or lack of the previous USGP's

if they did they would have offered a reduction in rent, but now we have one less track.
RonJon
7/19/2017 11:00am
Firefly47 wrote:
Man, look at all that elevation at WW MX.
Ever seen Lossail or Assen? Not much elevation there either.....
Stuntman949
7/19/2017 11:06am
Darn. Was excited to see a Gatorback pro race for nostalgia purposes. Viva Moto
PRM31
7/19/2017 11:11am
Track looks reasonable. Could make for good racing even if it lacks the natural terrain. Chance to get rough at least. Maybe? Is that the tendency of this track?

So, next big question is what riders from the US Nationals will ride the GP?
7/19/2017 11:15am
PRM31 wrote:
Track looks reasonable. Could make for good racing even if it lacks the natural terrain. Chance to get rough at least. Maybe? Is that the tendency...
Track looks reasonable. Could make for good racing even if it lacks the natural terrain. Chance to get rough at least. Maybe? Is that the tendency of this track?

So, next big question is what riders from the US Nationals will ride the GP?
It gets plenty rough. As the day goes on you start getting into that Florida beach sand. It's gonna be a serious test for those guys. It's hotter than hell here in September and still so humid you always feel like you just stepped out of the shower.
PRM31
7/19/2017 11:27am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 11:28am
It will be hot! We'll find out how Jeffrey Herlings performs in some serious heat and humidity.

My guess is the euros (and Californians!) are in for a very rude awakening with the humidity.
7/19/2017 12:00pm
500guy wrote:
Obviously the Land owners do not know the financial success or lack of the previous USGP's if they did they would have offered a reduction in...
Obviously the Land owners do not know the financial success or lack of the previous USGP's

if they did they would have offered a reduction in rent, but now we have one less track.
Financial success?
edgo897
7/19/2017 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 1:01pm
twotwosix wrote:
Thanks to Gatorback ownership for shitting all over American Motocross.
If you go to the Unlimited Sports website they say they own Gatorback. So who exactly owns it. County property tax records list Unlimited Sports as the owner. If they don't own it why do they pay property taxes?
kkawboy14
7/19/2017 1:03pm
500guy wrote:
Obviously the Land owners do not know the financial success or lack of the previous USGP's if they did they would have offered a reduction in...

Exactly!
7/19/2017 1:30pm
Gatorback sucked anyway, I have no idea why anyone would ever schedule an AMA national or GP race there.
Casting
7/19/2017 1:45pm
DC wrote:
Adam43 wrote: "That may be the case, but it seems like asking for trouble to commit to such an event without having the owners onside first...

DC
Racer
DC - You are the epitome of a class act.

We should all be honored to have you at the head of our sport.

Thank you for all you do.
kijen
7/19/2017 2:04pm
Having riden most of the tracks in north fl (slowly), Gatorback was the one I looked foward to riding the most. Like someothers WW is in the neighborhood, happy for junior and all that, and it is fun to ride
Etc....but it is man made and lacks the traditional mx Feel, like most fl tracks. I'm sure they will make it the best they can, and I'll be thereSmile
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/19/2017 2:17pm
Idaho747 wrote:
X100
Thumper243
7/19/2017 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 2:23pm
I still dream of a bigger race here.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/19/2017 2:24pm
Idaho747 wrote:
ricko wrote:
How bout it, got too greedy, could of made some money, now going to make zero money, no GP and no Mini O's.
Maybe they dont want the USGP or mini Os and they could have different plans and a MX track in not in them. When someone shoots a really high price like that its can be because they dont want them to renew. Hard to say what is going on behind the scenes.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/19/2017 2:26pm
kzizok wrote:
Sounds like the land owners got too greedy and all involved will lose. Potential loss of another iconic amateur national is also a possibility. We've lost...
Sounds like the land owners got too greedy and all involved will lose. Potential loss of another iconic amateur national is also a possibility. We've lost Ponca, World Mini, Whitney, Oak Hill is for sale, Branson, and now Mini O's are in jeopardy. I know different reasons for them all, but it still sucks. No to mention all of those affected by the change in venue with travel, local business, and on and on. All in the name of greed.

Glad another option was so close, for all involved.
Ponca is still there and now that the NMA is out it is getting bigger every year.
DC
7/19/2017 2:29pm
edgo897 wrote "If you go to the Unlimited Sports website they say they own Gatorback. So who exactly owns it. County property tax records list Unlimited Sports as the owner. If they don't own it why do they pay property taxes?"

Believe me, they are not the landowners, but they've held the lease for 15 years, ever since Jerry and Linda West retired. Another family owns the land. Maybe the deal is when you have the lease and operate a business on it, you pay the taxes too. No matter, I have no idea what they have planned for the land, but Gainesville looks like it's starting to creep out there more and more... But not anytime soon.

DC
Racer X
IceMan446
7/19/2017 2:43pm
DC did you guys ever look at Florida track and Trails as a replacement??

Not saying its better or worse just wondering if thats a place that could hold this type of event?
jeffro503
7/19/2017 3:05pm
Thumper243 wrote:
I still dream of a bigger race here. [img]https://trailmoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/IMG_3337.jpg[/img] [img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/Utrider/Powder%20Mtn%2009/Powdermtn09281.jpg[/img] [img]http://davehales.com/bike/powder%20mtn%20mx/Resized/rally2009%20074.jpg[/img]
I still dream of a bigger race here.

Where is that thumper?

Post a reply to: Why the USGP Moved from Gatorback to WW Ranch

The Latest