Why no footage of Hackley or Cunningham?

mx332
2/15/2015 10:44am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2015 10:41am
Did anyone else find it strange that they did not show Hackley's or Cunningham's red flag causing crashes? They also didn't show any of the asterisk crew attending to them. I can't recall any race that has been red flagged where the broadcast did not cover the incident. I understand not everyone wants to see a rider suffer a serious injury on tv but they have always shown us the reason for the red flag. Canard getting landed on comes to mind and we all watched that...
|
mx836
2/15/2015 10:50am
Well they were both laying motionless in the track so that's probably why. I don't want to see that. Sounds like the Hackley crash was really bad and they probably don't show it out of respect for the rider. Could have been much worse than what it sounds like as someone commented in another thread that he is expected to make a full recovery.
gharmon
2/15/2015 10:53am
mx332 wrote:
Did anyone else find it strange that they did not show Hackley's or Cunningham's red flag causing crashes? They also didn't show any of the asterisk...
Did anyone else find it strange that they did not show Hackley's or Cunningham's red flag causing crashes? They also didn't show any of the asterisk crew attending to them. I can't recall any race that has been red flagged where the broadcast did not cover the incident. I understand not everyone wants to see a rider suffer a serious injury on tv but they have always shown us the reason for the red flag. Canard getting landed on comes to mind and we all watched that...
I didn't see anything on the Hackley race but it showed the asterisk crew working on Kyle after he was up. When they first showed Kyle he was asleep on top of that jump with his bike on him and he was taking a nap for sure, no movement at all. But he did stand up for the asterisk crew and I thought from the video angle he still looked out of it.
JLong
2/15/2015 10:58am
I don't think either crash was captured on film. Inside the stadium there was a quick shot of Sean laying motionless but it was just for a moment.
ruskymx
2/15/2015 11:54am
Watching the race again today, you can see after the leaders crossed the line at lap 8, you can see Cunningham coming out of the turn before the finish and then he goes off the screen. When the finish line is back in the screen, all you see is his bike lying on the top of the take off.

The Shop

GD2
Fantasy
854th
2/15/2015 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2015 12:17pm
Unfortunately I couldn't really see the section where Hackley went down that well due to some guy who decided to stand up all night. But his bike looked pretty bad and judging by how long the medical crew was working on him it must've been bad.
Flesh206
2/15/2015 12:36pm
When they showed Kyle on screen for the 1 sec that it was displayed...I thought I just seen a a possible death. Glad he is ok.
ktm300hater
2/15/2015 12:37pm
Kyles dad said the wheel tap section before the finish drove his front wheel down and he basically crashed up the face of the jump. He said he got hit in the chin and knocked him out like a punch from mike Tyson
ocscottie
2/15/2015 12:46pm
Flesh206 wrote:
When they showed Kyle on screen for the 1 sec that it was displayed...I thought I just seen a a possible death. Glad he is ok.
That was so freakin scary! I thought the same thing. here is the shot they showed.

mx510
Fantasy
1861st
2/15/2015 12:48pm
I don't need to see it, get well soon guys!
yzjs7
2/15/2015 12:55pm
Ya it looked like Cunningham was dead. Only showed him for a split second.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
2/15/2015 1:04pm
Even if they had caught the crashes on film, I don't think it would be appropriate to show the crash until it's been confirmed that the rider is ok, just out of respect for any family or friends watching.
Motodave15
2/15/2015 1:06pm
Kyles dad said the wheel tap section before the finish drove his front wheel down and he basically crashed up the face of the jump. He...
Kyles dad said the wheel tap section before the finish drove his front wheel down and he basically crashed up the face of the jump. He said he got hit in the chin and knocked him out like a punch from mike Tyson
ok i was wondering how the hell he ended up in that position, because i couldnt come to a logical conclusion besides looping out on the face of the jump.

I also wonder how hackley went down?

I'm not really one for grim stuff, But I've always liked the insight of how the rider crashed and the mistakes that led up to the incident etc.

That's definitely a segment we as a sport could improve on, i mean in all other sports you get the injury update/how it happend pretty damn soon. without alot of wondering or gossip
mx836
2/15/2015 1:18pm
I saw a couple people get squirrely wheel tapping before the finish and was afraid something like that would happen. Also, the triple on the end of the stadium was really sketchy with everyone having a hard time getting a run at it. People doubling a lot. I know it made for good racing, but also seems really dangerous. After what happened to Canard and Morais, I'd think the track crew would put some more thought into it. I know it's a dangerous sport, but I'm nervous for these guys out there.
TOSH25
2/15/2015 1:47pm
mx836 wrote:
I saw a couple people get squirrely wheel tapping before the finish and was afraid something like that would happen. Also, the triple on the end...
I saw a couple people get squirrely wheel tapping before the finish and was afraid something like that would happen. Also, the triple on the end of the stadium was really sketchy with everyone having a hard time getting a run at it. People doubling a lot. I know it made for good racing, but also seems really dangerous. After what happened to Canard and Morais, I'd think the track crew would put some more thought into it. I know it's a dangerous sport, but I'm nervous for these guys out there.

is this what u meant by squirrely?????

u meant squarely I presume haha
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
2/15/2015 1:54pm
Add Tracy Morgan to this list. That kid got banged up really bad - broken femur, pelvis and heel from the sounds of it.

Hope all involved in crashes last night make a full recovery.
wfo4ever
2/15/2015 1:55pm
I hate to say this but racing or riding a motorcycle could cause injury or death. I never want to see anyone get hurt. But our sport is so inconsistent on so many things compared to other motor sports. All the commercials show crashes and takeouts, then they throw a black flag for one rider but not others for taking someone out? They always show crashes, then they don't? Riders injuries are a secret? A red flag means we start a second race when there is only one main event and the riders position means nothing because of a red flag? The purse money is a slap in the face to riders while the promoters are making a fortune. The rules are a joke, and so is the AMA. To me it is like a cluster f*%$ circus show of dare devils, when you really think about it. But I love this sport, I just wish it was more professional like other sports.
mx836
2/15/2015 2:01pm
TOSH25 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/15/80338/s1200_aaa.jpg[/img] is this what u meant by squirrely????? u meant squarely I presume haha

That would be an incorrect presumption.
TOSH25
2/15/2015 2:03pm
TOSH25 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/15/80338/s1200_aaa.jpg[/img] is this what u meant by squirrely????? u meant squarely I presume haha

mx836 wrote:
That would be an incorrect presumption.
hehe ..sorry bud.
dehner47
2/15/2015 2:07pm
Flesh206 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
That was so freakin scary! I thought the same thing. here is the shot they showed. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/15/80337/s1200_10959682_999267866770089_8803827393417258503_n.jpg[/img]
That was so freakin scary! I thought the same thing. here is the shot they showed.

I'm assuming the production clue thought same thing cause they flipped to another camera the moment the realized there was no movement and looked like something could really be bad.
Dx3moto
2/15/2015 2:25pm
It could have been much worse, especially if he crashed by endoing off that sketchy wheel tap jump they put right into the takeoff of a finish line Unsure Honestly they should just get rid of jumps like that leading into finish lines (high speed wheel tap jumps)
ktm300hater
2/15/2015 2:37pm
Dx3moto wrote:
It could have been much worse, especially if he crashed by endoing off that sketchy wheel tap jump they put right into the takeoff of a...
It could have been much worse, especially if he crashed by endoing off that sketchy wheel tap jump they put right into the takeoff of a finish line Unsure Honestly they should just get rid of jumps like that leading into finish lines (high speed wheel tap jumps)
These guys are professionals, and as professionals they need obstacles that aren't suited to novice riders. Look at millsaps, he looped out coming off the wall. How many times have you seen that happen. I believe that the current crop of riders are testing the skills of the track builders not to build cookie cutter tracks.

And I'm not ragging on you or davi.
Dx3moto
2/15/2015 2:47pm
These guys are professionals, and as professionals they need obstacles that aren't suited to novice riders. Look at millsaps, he looped out coming off the wall...
These guys are professionals, and as professionals they need obstacles that aren't suited to novice riders. Look at millsaps, he looped out coming off the wall. How many times have you seen that happen. I believe that the current crop of riders are testing the skills of the track builders not to build cookie cutter tracks.

And I'm not ragging on you or davi.
You don't think I realize they're the best in the world? The only point I make is that these guys already do incredible moves every lap, why throw something in there that increases an already high percentage of making a mistake. There wasn't anything on that track that was necessarily that bad, but that wheel tap section before the finish was incredibly sketchy. I'm curious if Cunningham endoed off it it, or clipped a back tire going off.
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
2/15/2015 2:55pm
Flesh206 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
That was so freakin scary! I thought the same thing. here is the shot they showed. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/15/80337/s1200_10959682_999267866770089_8803827393417258503_n.jpg[/img]

Ya it looked bad, unreal how small the payout is considering they risk their lives and the stadium is usually full. I just sat there going holy shit man, was so happy to see him get up.
braaap
Fantasy
2090th
2/15/2015 3:27pm
mx836 wrote:
I saw a couple people get squirrely wheel tapping before the finish and was afraid something like that would happen. Also, the triple on the end...
I saw more close calls with these two jumps than I can ever remember.

That triple had a bunch of guys who barely missed getting landed on when they only doubled.

And that wheel tap thing before the finish was super sketchy but looked really cool when executed well.
Thelen20
2/17/2015 9:38am
Kyles dad said the wheel tap section before the finish drove his front wheel down and he basically crashed up the face of the jump. He...
Motodave15 wrote:
ok i was wondering how the hell he ended up in that position, because i couldnt come to a logical conclusion besides looping out on the...
ok i was wondering how the hell he ended up in that position, because i couldnt come to a logical conclusion besides looping out on the face of the jump.

I also wonder how hackley went down?

I'm not really one for grim stuff, But I've always liked the insight of how the rider crashed and the mistakes that led up to the incident etc.

That's definitely a segment we as a sport could improve on, i mean in all other sports you get the injury update/how it happend pretty damn soon. without alot of wondering or gossip
Hackley went down right in front of our section . I did not see how it started but the bike cartwheeling caught my attention. He was doing the big line through that section, 3 then 3 onto the plateau, step off then double single. That step off was tough all night, lots of guys clipping the landing after stepping off. I'm guessing he clipping too hard and went over the front. Hackley ended up laying horizontal across the top of the landing of the double after the step off, that would be the second to last hump in the section, the taller one. He was obviously unconscious and a second or two after he came to rest another rider landed on his head. I had a view straight from the side but it looked like the brake side foot and footpeg it what hit hackley's helmet. It whipped his head back violently. Reminded me of the morning I watch Marco Simoncelli get hit on the head and pass away. Was super scary!!! The medics had him surrounded pretty good but I never saw hackley move at all. Once they had him on the mule I saw that they were communicating with him. At that point I knew he wasn't dead thank God! Still feared a bad neck and spine injury. Sooo glad to hear that he will make a full recovery!!!!
steveada
2/17/2015 10:20am
Glad all involved are going to be all right. Don't worry though, they may have not shown them during the broadcast, but you can bet in a few weeks the crashes will be a part of the promo highlights.
TailSoHard
2/17/2015 10:34am
steveada wrote:
Glad all involved are going to be all right. Don't worry though, they may have not shown them during the broadcast, but you can bet in...
Glad all involved are going to be all right. Don't worry though, they may have not shown them during the broadcast, but you can bet in a few weeks the crashes will be a part of the promo highlights.
I hope not...
hvaughn88
2/17/2015 10:41am
Maybe it was because I was there with my son, but seeing hackley and Cunningham motionless on the track made me automatically assume the worst and I actually started getting sick to my stomach. I can't imagine what it's like being the parent of a supercross racer. I don't think I could watch.

Post a reply to: Why no footage of Hackley or Cunningham?

The Latest