Why no EFI 2 strokes?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 9/18/2015 5:19pm
MXA's answer will probably disappoint some but not me. Interesting to read one leading manufacturer's take on EFI Below is a smaller manufacturer (or former?) effort at EFI on a smoker.

|
zehn
9/13/2015 2:59pm
Not to be that guy, but wasn't this exact thread and thread title posted weeks ago?
The Rock
9/13/2015 3:07pm
The MXA article is dated yesterday on their website.

Nonetheless my feelings won't be hurt and if this is a duplicate by all means delete the thread.

The Shop

JBernard_401
9/13/2015 3:38pm
added weight, cost, reliability, ease of maintenance, ect.
with the way the rules are messed up the way they are now. i doubt theres a lot of $ getting poured into R&D so they can gain 2% improvement while a 250T still has to race against a 450F
Crush
9/13/2015 5:04pm
I don't neccassarily buy the added weight/cost argument.

Four strokes are outselling two strokes and are both heavier and more expensive... if only marginally.

The potential gains of a two stroke with DFI, a linear power curve and clean running, perfect throttling are what interests me... It's not like they're 4 thousand cheaper and 30 pounds lighter.
Crush
9/13/2015 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2015 5:06pm
I want to see it on a 300 two stroke too. A long range tanked smoker that you can drive to a petrol servo, stick the nozzle in and fill up, it mixes your oil, electric start and away you go again? Sounds perfect and i'll buy one when they do, as long as they is KTM haha
c_dub
9/13/2015 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2015 5:10pm
One can obtain those things with a Lectron carb Crush. (edit: in response to your first post)
Crush
9/13/2015 5:09pm
Yeah I know, and I changed my old lux to EFI... There is always something you can do, I just want someone else to do it!
endurox
9/13/2015 5:10pm
c_dub wrote:
One can obtain those things with a Lectron carb Crush. (edit: in response to your first post)
I have an Electron on my 155 KTM. It is better at altitude compensation that the Keihin but still not perfect. Maybe the electronic oil injection on the Beta combined with an Electron would be the hot setup.
Crush
9/13/2015 7:08pm
Would Honda do that to block others producing them as they've stated they're a 4 stroke company? Ala the front brake thing
9/13/2015 7:12pm
Pretty silly points if anyone with half a brain reads it. Fuel injection is way more precise than a carburetor and thus can produce more power. I mean, why did Honda go to a injected system on the legendary NSR500? Many 2 strokes in the past have been injected, just not consumer dirt bikes. Will it add cost? Well, did the prices of 4 strokes sky rocket when they went to fuel injection? Not really. No one is asking for the bike to be a tuned monster that can out run a 4 stroke bike. Most people just want a newer, updated system so they can program maps and stuff.

The facts are that an injection system (fuel injection would be easiest, direct injection is more tricky) should be just as cheap as a carburetor, easier to maintain, more power, just as reliable and won't be heavier. And if it is heavier, the extra weight will be offset by the extra power.

Athena (the guys who sponsor Red Bull KTM, produce gaskets and stuff) have already done DIRECT injection on a 2 stroke 125cc supermoto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVeqix2Yc4. There are fuel injection conversion kits for 2 stroke scooters and I believe Serco had an EFI 2 stroke bike on show recently.

Nonetheless, if KTM or Gas Gas (or whoever) did sell enduro or trail bike EFI 2 strokes, people would just swap the fuel delivery systems over to a dirt bike equivalent (so a 250 EXC to a 250 SX). For the average person it is too difficult to convert their own bikes and the expense, time and uncertainty is too high.
9/13/2015 8:47pm
Crush wrote:
Would Honda do that to block others producing them as they've stated they're a 4 stroke company? Ala the front brake thing
That's my thought.
Rooster
9/13/2015 9:36pm
There's a difference between fuel injection and direct injection.

Two strokes really require direct injection to squirt the fuel in the cylinder head during the compression stroke. These require a lot of injection pressure, whereas a regular throttle body injection system just uses the vacuum of the engine itself.

MXA has a point in that it really does create enough added cost and complexity to negate the benefits to the consumer. We love two strokes because they're simple and easy to work on. They wouldn't be with a DI system.
CR250Rider
9/13/2015 9:46pm
I toss in a h1-71 needle into my cr250 and she runs just fine up to 6500'. Takes about 5 minutes on a bad day. I also don't get elec start on a 2 stroke.
THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF A 2STROKE IS LIGHTNESS AND SIMPLICITY.
Crush
9/13/2015 10:36pm
CR250Rider wrote:
I toss in a h1-71 needle into my cr250 and she runs just fine up to 6500'. Takes about 5 minutes on a bad day. I...
I toss in a h1-71 needle into my cr250 and she runs just fine up to 6500'. Takes about 5 minutes on a bad day. I also don't get elec start on a 2 stroke.
THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF A 2STROKE IS LIGHTNESS AND SIMPLICITY.
Is the elec start on the new KTMs really heavy?
Bearuno
9/13/2015 10:45pm
Rooster wrote:
There's a difference between fuel injection and direct injection. Two strokes really require direct injection to squirt the fuel in the cylinder head during the compression...
There's a difference between fuel injection and direct injection.

Two strokes really require direct injection to squirt the fuel in the cylinder head during the compression stroke. These require a lot of injection pressure, whereas a regular throttle body injection system just uses the vacuum of the engine itself.

MXA has a point in that it really does create enough added cost and complexity to negate the benefits to the consumer. We love two strokes because they're simple and easy to work on. They wouldn't be with a DI system.
Rooster - go have a look at the Athena set up, and the orientation of the injectors on the Ossa.

People seem to think that 'Direct Injection' with 'in head' injectors is the only way. Orbitals almost universally used stratified injection is not the only way to do it.

Set ups like the Athena, Ossa, Sherco AND Hondas ( go looking , Honda had quite a few patents / drawings out on EFI and 'in barrel side' injectors - all long since timed out) that make use of the existing flow / scavenging patterns within a 2ts cases / barrels, are much more logical. No high pressures, using flow patterns as 'blocking' ( or trapping valves / power valves) is the real way forward. I think at least one of the Outboard manufacturers use simpler, non 'in head', low pressure injection systems.

The Euro regs that come into force for 2017 will bring in various manufacturers solutions. Well, at least the ones that want to sell bikes that are road registerable - where the Big sales figures come from.

A reverse cylinder throttle body Honda drawing - was supposed to be for an ATV application:

The engine bay of one of one of the EXP 400s - 5th outright in the 95(?) Dakar, against the 780 twins and even larger bikes:

Another Honda throttle body injector engine:

A Honda 'on barrel' injector set up:

The Athena set up - with one of the great 2t geniuses of all time in the background:
The Rock
9/13/2015 11:21pm
KISS Keep it simple stupid.

KTM seems to have gotten elec start down to a science but for a pure MX machine I don't think I need elec start. Off road absolutely but given the economy of scale if I "have to" have Smile electric start on my KTM two stroke I can deal with it.

Until regulations force change I like my two strokes like I like most things......traditional old school.
kiwifan
9/13/2015 11:58pm
Crush wrote:
is Suzuki a 4 stroke company too?
VET176
9/14/2015 12:07am
Crush wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
No.
kiwifan
9/14/2015 12:34am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 12:35am
Crush wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
VET176 wrote:
No.
yeah I guess producing a 85 means they are not

Hondas blocking isnt doing a good job then is it?
FI2T
9/14/2015 1:36am
EFI is just as easy as a carb if not easier. Plug in and tune. Did 4 strokes gain weight when fi was added? Nope not a significant amount and cost stayed close as well. A complete motor rebuild is still a breeze! Reliability would do nothing but improve! Having the right amount of fuel for all conditions is big regardless of your tuning skills. The biggest winner here though is Joe Blow rider who thinks he might could tune.
Crush
9/14/2015 3:46am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 3:49am
kiwifan wrote:
VET176 wrote:
No.
kiwifan wrote:
yeah I guess producing a 85 means they are not

Hondas blocking isnt doing a good job then is it?
Honda has publicly stated they are forever now a 4 stroke company... It's potentially in their benefit to have their weight, greater than suzuki's, behind a platform and hence the status quo, blocking a significant innovation that really could make 2 strokes much more competitive... Japanese companies don't like to about face. Suzuki will just sell the best turning version of whatever platform is the norm.

In a fairly rated power output comparison, an EFI four stroke and a DFI two stroke, the favour likely heads back to the two stroke... It'll still be lighter, engine is still simpler and now the rideability, fueling and usability all goes up to equal the four stroke.
hillbilly
9/14/2015 3:50am
I'm in a hurry this morning,can someone tell me how the crank gets oiled if the fuel oil mix is direct injected into the combustion chamber?
Fearo
9/14/2015 6:03am
Bearuno wrote:
Rooster - go have a look at the Athena set up, and the orientation of the injectors on the Ossa. People seem to think that 'Direct...
Rooster - go have a look at the Athena set up, and the orientation of the injectors on the Ossa.

People seem to think that 'Direct Injection' with 'in head' injectors is the only way. Orbitals almost universally used stratified injection is not the only way to do it.

Set ups like the Athena, Ossa, Sherco AND Hondas ( go looking , Honda had quite a few patents / drawings out on EFI and 'in barrel side' injectors - all long since timed out) that make use of the existing flow / scavenging patterns within a 2ts cases / barrels, are much more logical. No high pressures, using flow patterns as 'blocking' ( or trapping valves / power valves) is the real way forward. I think at least one of the Outboard manufacturers use simpler, non 'in head', low pressure injection systems.

The Euro regs that come into force for 2017 will bring in various manufacturers solutions. Well, at least the ones that want to sell bikes that are road registerable - where the Big sales figures come from.

A reverse cylinder throttle body Honda drawing - was supposed to be for an ATV application:

The engine bay of one of one of the EXP 400s - 5th outright in the 95(?) Dakar, against the 780 twins and even larger bikes:

Another Honda throttle body injector engine:

A Honda 'on barrel' injector set up:

The Athena set up - with one of the great 2t geniuses of all time in the background:
Is there any clarity on whether these 2017 euro regulations will apply to "closed course" vehicles?

in my opinion, that will give us the answer on if we will ever see it on MX bikes.

KTM has publicly stated that their DI/EFI system is ready but they will only use it when they are forced to, and even then, I'm sure it will be on enduro bikes first.
resetjet
9/14/2015 6:29am
I just wish KTM would release one so everyone who thinks it is the cats meow can buy it and these "if only" threads would go away.

MXA nailed it for sure. I wish they would explain the technical details in the next article to support it, so maybe, everyone can understand how a 2 stroke DI engine works.

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/14/2015 9:27am
hillbilly wrote:
I'm in a hurry this morning,can someone tell me how the crank gets oiled if the fuel oil mix is direct injected into the combustion chamber?
Same as a thumper

Post a reply to: Why no EFI 2 strokes?

The Latest