Why is the FIM involved in American MX series?

Edited Date/Time 12/21/2014 9:42pm
Will someone please rid me of my ignorance, why is the FIM involved in American Supercross and Motocross?? how did this happen?
|
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
12/19/2014 8:58am
The "Euro's" and "Aussies" will be along shortly to give you the update on all things FIM.
abn166
12/19/2014 9:03am
It all started back in 2002:

https://books.google.com/books?id=_BMEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=jam+mo…

Following the expulsion threat from the FIM to the AMA, and AMA Pro Racing's subsequent lawsuit against Clear Channel Entertainment - Motor Sports, Crash.net contacted the latter for comment.

Today, Clear Channel released the following statement responding to the AMA's allegations that they: "along with the FIM, are attempting to combine the AMA Supercross Series with smaller events in Europe and create a new series under the FIM banner."

AMA Pro Racing also accuses the SX series promoters of trying to 'dismantle' the championship and warned that 'outside meddling' would only weaken the AMA Supercross series.

The problem seems to stem from having both a World [FIM] and American [AMA] championship within one 17 round series - which both sides appear to have agreed to - with the dispute centring over who will control and run it.

The FIM wants control of the whole series, while the AMA wants to keep running the 15 American rounds that [together with the independent Daytona SX] make up the US SX series as it has done in the past...

The following statement was released by Ken Hudgens, Clear Channel Entertainment's vice president of marketing:

"Clear Channel Entertainment - Motor Sports is the promoter of the AMA Supercross Series and the THQ World Supercross GP Series of which the U.S. championship events are a part.

"AMA Pro Racing acknowledged and agreed to this 'series within a series' concept from the outset of our new contractual relationship with them last spring - in the contract itself, in our many discussions with them, and in their statements to the press.

"AMA Pro Racing apparently now has a dispute with the FIM, the international sanctioning body of which it is an affiliate, over whether AMA recognises FIM's ultimate authority over the conduct of motorcycle racing sanctioned by its affiliates when such events are part of a world championship.

"That is not Clear Channel Entertainment - Motor Sports' dispute, and it will have no effect on the upcoming supercross season, which kicks off in Geneva, Switzerland on December 7, 2002."
ChrisB10
12/19/2014 9:05am
Matthes and Weigandt just explained this on the Stew suspension podcast. Basically in 2002 there was a dispute over money so Feld switched to FIM. They have since renewed their contract.
tombugg
12/19/2014 10:26am
Why isn't quite as important as the question; what benefit do they provide??.. Which the answer as far as I can se is NOTHING..

That goes for both series.. I really don't get it..

I still say FUQ the FIM...

The Shop

TMV
12/19/2014 10:32am
tombugg wrote:
Why isn't quite as important as the question; what benefit do they provide??.. Which the answer as far as I can se is NOTHING.. That goes...
Why isn't quite as important as the question; what benefit do they provide??.. Which the answer as far as I can se is NOTHING..

Why don't you say fuck to Feld instead? Weren't they the one who wanted FIM to get involved? Plus FIM is not involved in American MX, it is only in American SX.

tombugg
12/19/2014 10:51am
Agreed, Fuq both of them...
Skippie
12/19/2014 10:56am
tombugg wrote:
Why isn't quite as important as the question; what benefit do they provide??.. Which the answer as far as I can se is NOTHING.. That goes...

What drawbacks do they provide? Until this no one cared about them. What benefits do the AMA provide? This isn't FIMs fault, it is WADAs I don't get what's so hard to understand. Even if FIM wasn't involved in supercross the punishment would still stand considering the AMA is a subgroup of the FIM.
Robgvx
12/19/2014 10:57am
tombugg wrote:

TMV wrote:
Why don't you say fuck to Feld instead? Weren't they the one who wanted FIM to get involved? Plus FIM is not involved in American MX...
Why don't you say fuck to Feld instead? Weren't they the one who wanted FIM to get involved? Plus FIM is not involved in American MX, it is only in American SX.

But MXSports also has a drug testing policy. If Stewart had failed at an outdoor race the outcome would have been no different. Even if MX Sports only handed him a light penalty WADA/USADA would have stepped in to get that increased to something they were happy with (as they did when the FIM handed out a too-lenient (in WADA's eyes) to Anthony West).

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/19/2014 11:11am
Drug testing is fine. AMA will support it as well. What I don't like is when there is an AMA rule and an FIM rule that disagree, or when an FIM judge makes a call on a racing incident for an American series.

AMA Pro Racing should kick the FIM to the curb for the purposes of sanctioning domestic competition.
Robgvx
12/19/2014 11:14am
Falcon wrote:
Drug testing is fine. AMA will support it as well. What I don't like is when there is an AMA rule and an FIM rule that...
Drug testing is fine. AMA will support it as well. What I don't like is when there is an AMA rule and an FIM rule that disagree, or when an FIM judge makes a call on a racing incident for an American series.

AMA Pro Racing should kick the FIM to the curb for the purposes of sanctioning domestic competition.
And also kick their own drug testing policy, which runs to the same rules?
Skippie
12/19/2014 11:14am
Falcon wrote:
Drug testing is fine. AMA will support it as well. What I don't like is when there is an AMA rule and an FIM rule that...

What part of the AMA is a member of the FIM do people not understand?
philG
12/19/2014 11:15am
Think of it like world politics , but in reverse... the rest of the world wonders constantly why the US has to get involved in everything.. but that isnt likely to stop any time soon either is it.

IceMan446
12/19/2014 11:17am
Robgvx wrote:
But MXSports also has a drug testing policy. If Stewart had failed at an outdoor race the outcome would have been no different. Even if MX...
But MXSports also has a drug testing policy. If Stewart had failed at an outdoor race the outcome would have been no different. Even if MX Sports only handed him a light penalty WADA/USADA would have stepped in to get that increased to something they were happy with (as they did when the FIM handed out a too-lenient (in WADA's eyes) to Anthony West).

James did fail an outdoor test.

So did others.
IceMan446
12/19/2014 11:19am
Falcon wrote:

Skippie wrote:
What part of the AMA is a member of the FIM do people not understand?
If thats the case, why did the AMA let James race the nationals?

Wouldn't they have had to stop him from racing?

Skippie
12/19/2014 11:20am
IceMan446 wrote:

Probably because he was only provisionally suspended at that point. If you noticed he didn't race MEC so most likely FIM stepped in at some point after the nationals.
hvaughn88
12/19/2014 11:21am
Robgvx wrote:
But MXSports also has a drug testing policy. If Stewart had failed at an outdoor race the outcome would have been no different. Even if MX...

IceMan446 wrote:

So did others.
who are the others? Not doubting, just asking.
Skippie
12/19/2014 11:22am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think Webb was one of them.
IceMan446
12/19/2014 11:22am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2014 11:23am
hvaughn88 wrote:
They weren't released.

Matthes talked about it on the pulp show. Something to do with not enough time to get the TUEs for the nationals so the lakewood results were thrown out.

P
12/19/2014 11:23am
Will someone please rid me of my ignorance, why is the FIM involved in American Supercross and Motocross?? how did this happen?
In Supercross they got involved because AMA attempted to split from Clear Channel to start it's own SX series.

P
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
12/19/2014 11:24am
Robgvx wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

So did others.
He did? Thought he passed Colorado.

Robgvx
12/19/2014 11:27am
Robgvx wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

So did others.
Really? When and where?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
12/19/2014 11:27am
IceMan446 wrote:

The AMA has zero to do with the outdoor nationals. No connection or power at all. Zip, nada, zilch.
IceMan446
12/19/2014 11:28am

From listening to the pulp show, i seem to recall them saying he failed that test.

I don't remember which show it was, but ill go back to the archives and see if I can't find it and ill post it up.

The TUE thing was strange for the nationals since the testing was just being introduced weeks before the start of the nationals.
DonM
12/19/2014 11:38am
Robgvx wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

So did others.
Prove it....
DonM
12/19/2014 11:41am

IceMan446 wrote:
From listening to the pulp show, i seem to recall them saying he failed that test. I don't remember which show it was, but ill go...
From listening to the pulp show, i seem to recall them saying he failed that test.

I don't remember which show it was, but ill go back to the archives and see if I can't find it and ill post it up.

The TUE thing was strange for the nationals since the testing was just being introduced weeks before the start of the nationals.
Nobody failed any outdoor tests...somewhere a rumor was started but all the riders rumored posted their test results online to disprove those rumors
P
12/19/2014 11:44am
tombugg wrote:
Agreed, Fuq both of them...
wfo250 wrote:
x2
From Racerhead #30:

The USADA has released the results of the anti-doping testing that took place at the Thunder Valley National a few weeks back. All twelve of the riders tested—six in the 250 Class, six in the 450 Class—passed scrutiny. No penalties will be assessed based on the Thunder Valley tests.

P
TMV
12/19/2014 11:48am
Robgvx wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:

So did others.
DonM wrote:
Prove it....
BUT... Didn't he get IVs (hydratation) between motos which is forbidden?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/19/2014 11:48am
The rumor from Colorado was that Blake Baggett and Cooper Webb had failed the test. Both riders posted their results from USADA on social media to prove it was BS. It would have had nothing to do with TUEs, as the rumor was they had failed for HGH.
DownSouth
12/19/2014 11:51am
It was mentioned that medications that could be covered by a TUE were overlooked in the Colorado test results because the time frame to obtain a TUE from USADA was longer than the advance notice the riders received that USADA was going to be running the testing program for the nationals.

Post a reply to: Why is the FIM involved in American MX series?

The Latest